Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
You *could* define the order classes in terms of limits — something like this:
pre:
O(f) := { g : N -> N | lim n->inf |g(n)/f(n)| exists and is finite }
That's not how they're usually defined, though; it's more like:
pre:
O(f) := { g : N -> N | exists a : N, s : N . forall n : N . a <= n implies g(n) <= s * f(n) }
which you can rigorously generalize to any partially-ordered domain and codomain with a scaling operation on the codomain.

People talk about big-O because, in the context of an un-analyzed problem or algorithm, analysis usually proceeds by establishing iteratively better limits on performance, rather jumping immediately to the correct order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I feel ethically compelled to note that this is a terrible time to become a lawyer.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Computer Engineering is a very broad field; it is easily possible for two graduates with C.E. degrees from the same school to have almost completely non-intersecting sets of skills. Some schools track C.E. more in one direction than in others.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Orzo posted:

I wouldn't expect anyone who has had a real job for a number of years to remember that. If they were straight out of school, maybe.

There's actually an important semantic difference; it's one of the few things that make it important to understand sorting algorithms even when you don't need to implement them.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Technically, it can be made O(n log n) because there's a linear-time median algorithm. Nobody ever does this, though.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Valued Member of the Train Team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't over-interpret "stipend"; some places just use that word for salaries paid to internships. Equity definitely means some sort of stock / ownership share, but I would treat that as worthless; it's not *insultingly* worthless, but it's definitely not something you should ever count on having value.