Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Creating a portfolio of your work can be a really handy thing in some job applications so its never a bad idea to create one. Just make sure that its OK to share the work you've done if its for another employer.

I don't think you're really ever 'too old' for an internship, but it really depends on the company. Some companies put up internships targeting graduate students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wish it was just HR screening that aimed for buzzword compliance; it's depressing when you have an issue with it during development interviews.

I finally landed a new job at a place I'm very excited about working at. I think what really helped me out was creating a project portfolio that I could bring to interviews (I had a blitz day of them for this job). Sometimes a resume just can't effectively bring out your experiences, at least thats the way it seemed to be for me.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
That's always kind of the way it works out in companies whose primary business is not technology (though this is kind of true of Facebook/Google as well). IT being viewed as a Cost Center can always make members of the department miserable.