Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
This Fall I will be a college junior. So far, I've been admitted to the CS programs at Michigan and Illinois, but I've also applied to CMU, Stanford, and I'm on the wait-list at MIT.

Academically, I'm a strong student, but I'm totally new to the field of study. I've been around IT my whole life, but I just started programming a few months ago.

How do I make myself employable as a software engineer in two years? Can I be competitive straight out of undergrad with whizkid hackers who've already put in their 10,000 hours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

umbrage posted:

Does this get you excited? Do you see how an algorithm, developed in 1956, is still relevant to some of the most important computational issues of the current day? Do you appreciate its elegance? Even if you can't put it in to words, or put it in code yet, can you conceptualize ways to improve it?

Yeah, this sort of stuff is the reason I'm interested in the field. I want to be more than what people consider a "computer programmer" (someone who knows how to give instructions to a computer).

I'd like to be a problem solver/scientist/engineer in the realm of computing.

I suppose I can differentiate myself by really internalizing all of the aspects you mentioned (graphs, trees, queues, stacks, cliques, alphabets, and functions). I can see how lazy "programmers" would ignore many of these concepts and how my math background may help me (rigorous proofs, etc.).

This gives me some hope. I was concerned that I'd be severely disadvantaged, but it seems like I can chop up the task of developing competency into manageable portions. I can see myself being an authority on some of these topics within a subset of the tech community down the road. Thanks.

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 4, 2011

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

quote:

Parameters: array of objects, an integer 'n'. Randomly select 'n' objects from the array to return. No repeats. You can assume 'n' is a valid number.

I attempted to solve this interview question posted in the OP without looking at the spoilers. Each time I iterated, I came up with the most incorrect naive option until I finally read the last one and said "aha."

Where can I find lots of examples of problems like this to practice and improve my algorithm skills?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Strong Sauce posted:

Why would Microsoft look worse as oppose to Google? A lot of smart people work there and it's pretty hard to get in.

Google is generally perceived--at least here in the valley--as more prestigious.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is it kosher to accept two offers for sequential internships?

I have an offer for Spring and one for Summer. Is it okay to sign contracts and agree to both independently?

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

kitten smoothie posted:

If the timespans do not overlap I don't see why not. But it sucks if you and the spring gig really get along well, and they can't extend you because you've already committed elsewhere.

In any case, I intend to return to school to finish my degree and pursue a masters.

Having an expiration date seems better than nothing at all. There's always the chance ill wind up preferring it to the second and choosing to return after I finish school.

The truth is, each company has something totally different to offer and is like to be able to experience both to make a good decision when I graduate.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

theratking posted:

Hey guys,
Just got an email from a startup that I interviewed at yesterday essentially saying they want me to work with them this summer (internship). While I am excited about this, there are a few places I'm still waiting to hear back from. I get the feeling that with a startup this small, there is a much greater chance of causing offense, and I want to tread lightly. Any advice for how to move forward? I essentially want to wait on a final decision without being disrespectful. The team was composed of 5 people and the company is ~20 people.

Seconding the above poster. Let them know you're very happy about the prospect of working there, and that you're deciding between different opportunities. Yada Yada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

theratking posted:

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah this is my first foray into the world of competitive internships / jobs so I'm in new waters right now. I'm trying to be careful about waiting too long because they basically told me that they were deciding between me and one other applicant. I don't want to screw the company out of an intern if that other guy went on to something else.

You're only responsible for yourself. Do what's in your best interest.