Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

greatZebu posted:

This is a good observation. Consider what you know if you're looking for x and [c][r] < x < [c+1][r+1] compared to if x is greater or less than both, and try going from there.

You can alternatively look at [c][R] to [c+1][R] where R is m/2 (if m is the number of rows), which makes more sense on non-square matrices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
top interview tip: if you can describe a solution for a programming problem using a hylomorphism, you'll get the job.

100% correlation.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

ThrowawayAccount posted:

This is my resume: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3duurus7n9bNkFlZi14aWpDems/edit?usp=sharing

The formatting sucks. How about the content? I feel gross putting in "commented code extensively", but I thought I should try to get across that I make an effort to write code that is maintainable when I'm gone.

Are there any immediate changes I can make to improve this resume?
Are there any red flags that scream "delete this person's application; do not contact for interview"?
And for my own curiosity / anxiety, does this look like the resume of someone who would have a shot at many junior-level positions?

Thanks!

Drop most of the adverbs and adjectives
Just say what languages you use. Don't listen anything you couldn't write a simple program in. I usually order them from most to least proficient.
Put skills at the bottom
For every paragraph, keep the first sentence and the one explaining how it benefited the company. Now merge them into one sentence.
Remove code commenting. You sound stupid.
Add a link to github and remove the bottom section.
If they're good, at your test scores.
Also did you literally do nothing else in college besides those two things.

also align your information right, put your github link up with it, and choose a less ugly font.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I like to read about your hobbies because then i know you aren't a sperglord. Unless your hobbies involve wearing fedoras and MRA meetings, then maybe leave them off.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
generally the people who've put hobbies down are the nice people who are also really good at their jobs that i would enjoy to work with everyday. If you are hard pressed to think of hobbies, you might not be in that category.

Last time I sent out a cover letter was for a finance position. I more or less wrote "I really prefer it snowing in the winter to raining. I enjoy hiking and rafting, and I like baking pies (I usually bring in a few every other week). Also, I do an algorithm." and ended up going in for an in person and got it, but realized it wasn't a good fit.

disclaimer: It probably helped that the school to which I went is a feeder school for i-banks.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
I would also drop tools, platforms, and most of expertise. Also, drop the expository paragraphs under each job. Finally, can you change your bullet points so they have the struct BULLET: (Something I did) which (How it affected the project or the company).

As an example of the last point: "Modified our serialization module to use protobufs, resulting in a 10% reduction in time spent during solver iterations."

This tells me what you did, why it was important, and also gives me some things to ask questions about ( How did you measure the time reduction? Why was this meaningful? Why did you pick protobufs? ).

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

boho posted:

So it takes 100 nights for each blue-eyed person to to see every other blue-eyed person see hasn't left, then all the blue-eyed people leave the next night? Ad the rest stay for eternity?

There's no way I would have ever come to that conclusion in a high-pressure interview environment unless I'd Googled "common tech interview logic problems" while sitting in the waiting room. Maybe if you've already worked a lot with induction for some reason and could notice the type of problem it was right out of the gate?

Point being, when you have a 5 minute(ish) window to figure that out, what the hell are they actually trying to learn about you? An exceptional Math background? How much you prepared for the interview on Google? Savantism?

a) if someone asks you this question its probably because they googled the same thing.
b) maybe you just don't do well at this kind of thing? its okay, i'm not very good at fixing cars, but somebody else is.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
famdav's fun logic puzzles:

You have 100 statements, of the form:

At most 0 of these statements are true.
At most 1 of these statements is true.
At most 2 of these statements are true.
At most 98 of these statements are true.
At most 99 of these statements are true.

How many statements are true? Which statements are true?

----

Give me a ten digit number, where digit i (indexed left to right from 0) is the number of occurrences of i in the number. Assume the 0th digit is not 0.

----

7 people have hats that can be any of 7 colors put on their head. They can see their friends' hats, but not their own. The king says that if any one of the 7 correctly states what color hat is on their head, they all will not be put to death. Given the people can discuss beforehand, find a winning strategy.

----

John and Sally play a game where they randomly write an even number of numbers in a row like this:

1 2 3 10 29 ... 14 3 17 2 10

on a piece of paper. On each person's turn, they take a number from one of the ends of the line and add it to their total, crossing it out and shrinking the list by one. The player whose sum is the largest wins.

Assume Sally goes first. How can she use her advanced female intellect to defeat the patriarchy?

FamDav fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 28, 2013

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

FamDav you sure do have a hard-on for ritualism in your interviews.

i think asking something like these questions during interviews is pretty silly. i much prefer looking at something you've done and hearing about problems on which you've worked.

however, a lot of what people have worked on is just not particularly interesting to me. It's great that you've built 30 different blogs and a tic-tac-toe player, but that doesnt really tell me about your ability to solve more complex problems. so i end up giving you a quantitative reasoning problem, or an algorithms question, or a systems design question. if you don't want me to have to judge you by this metric, then maybe you should make something that is actually interesting.

and these questions are still fun to solve :3:

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

If we're going to discuss logic puzzles now, could we at least discuss ones that aren't absurdly trivial?

the third one was meant to be less trivial

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

Also, if you want to win that game, there's no need for preparation. Just have one of the players say all seven color names.

blah blah assume each player can only say one color blah blah blah

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

I spent some time job hunting at OSCON last week. You should only go after a couple prospective jobs at a time right? I'm waiting to hear back from two places right now who just got my resume. There are a couple other places that seemed interested but I don't know if I should wait to start talking to them until one of the first places drops out? I don't really want to juggle five interviews in a week but maybe I should strike while the iron's still hot and they vaguely remember me or whatever?

Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

shrughes posted:

This is exactly why the problem is an analogy to Pascal's wager. If the players earnestly try to play the game, the king will just add another rule and kill them anyway.

Anyway, if you can only say one color, just take your own hat off and see what color it is. Then put it back on. If you "magically" can't see the color of your own hat, switch your hat with a friend's after having observed your friend's color.

I can't help the kings love for logic puzzles.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

it is posted:

For the hat thing
Am I misunderstanding the question or is the answer "The first person says the color of any hat s/he sees then everyone else says that color too?"

Because unless I'm misunderstanding something that seems really trivial still

there is a solution that disregards all lateral thinking answers.

How about :

There are 7 people.

Each person has a hat put on their head which is one of 7 colors. There is no way for them to see the color of their own hat. They cannot remove the hat.

They are then able to see the colors of every other person's hat. They are unable to communicate any additional information to each other.

They then submit their guesses for what color their hat is. None of the other prisoners can hear this. If one of them is right, they're all free (or something).

So, given the people are able to plan beforehand and they each only have the knowledge of the other 6's hat colors, what is a winning strategy for this game.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Steve French posted:

This is the worst loving question I have ever heard in my life.

Perhaps you are totally failing at posing it in a manner that makes it not completely loving retarded?

lol

shrughes posted:

No, you fucktard, you number the colors 0-6, have each player agree to assume that the sum of the colors will be a different value from 0 to 6 (modulo 7) respectively, and calculate their hat color accordingly. FFS when I give hints upthread maybe you should follow them.

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
code:
0.  Ithaqua
1.  shrughes
2.  Cicero
3.  Sab669
4.  baquerd
5.  Strong Sauce
6.  2banks1swap.avi
7.  Safe and Secure!
8.  kitten smoothie
9.  tef
10. Otto Skorzeny
11. hieronymus
12. gucci void main
13. Gazpacho
14. No Safe Word
15. Orzo
16. Good Will Hrunting
17. Chasiubao
18. pigdog
19. Pweller
Honorable mention: how!!
at least one person on that list doesn't even have a job.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

oRenj9 posted:

I had my phone interview with Amazon today, we didn't manage to get through everything in the hour they allocated, so I'm not sure that's a good sign. I also missed some pretty obvious bits of information here-and-there and made up some convoluted solutions to simple problems. At least the interviewer was kind enough to go back and emphasize key elements to help me fix my mistakes, such as when I recommended a hash map to store the frequency counts of all the numbers between 1 and 100 in a file. :eng99:

famdav's top tip: always be dumb until you need to be less dumb.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Tres Burritos posted:

On that note, how common are background checks when applying to places?

before applying? Nonexistant.

Once you have the job? It really depends on how big the place is.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Z-Bo posted:

That is JUST to weed out people who don't love what they do for a living.

LITERALLY.

We do similar things in our job description.

We want to work with people who are absolutely passionate about technology and want technology to improve people's lives and make it better. Most technology actually makes our lives worse.

Z-Bo posted:

BOSTON GOONS:

If anyone wants to send me their resumes, we're hiring. Rapidly growing start-up, great location. We have this thing on our website that says we only hire senior developers, but I am pretty persuasive with the people who call the shots if I like you. Plus, every goon I've ever worked with has been a great hire.

Key Criteria: HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, C#, ASP.NET MVC 4, SQL.
Most Important Criteria: People who freak out over micro-management. You will have as much autonomy here as you desire.

Don't see something on there you were hoping us to require or use? Ask me, we will either let you bring new technologies with you or are already using something equivalent. I'm not going to list all the tech we use, because I don't want to intimidate people. We will probably throw out and replace all our existing code a year from now anyway. It's just how we do things, we keep iterating and improving. You will help rip stuff out and replace it with better ideas and technologies. We're always evolving.

EXPERIENCED JAVA DEVELOPERS:
Know Java really well and hate the fact it takes a day to learn but a lifetime to type? Finally realized after years of reading bloggers talk about DSLs that Java is simply a DSL for taking XML files and converting them into stack traces? Want to try .NET and C# instead? Just prove to me you are a good Java developer, or have very good UX skills and experience in a framework similar to ASP.NET MVC, like Apache Wicket or Apache Tapestry.

EXPERIENCED .NET DEVELOPERS:
Know WebForms? Know MVC? Are you an amazing UX person? etc.

sounds cool

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Bognar posted:

Fibonacci is in the same category as Fizz Buzz - it's a quick, effective filter to weed out the idiots.

That said, I always liked dividing Fibonacci up into 3 categories:

Easy - Provide an iterative solution to give the nth Fibonacci number
Medium(ish) - Provide a recursive solution to give the nth Fibonacci number
Hard - Provide a recursive solution to give the nth Fibonacci number in sub-linear time

Gundam-tier - explain why a sublinear solution doesn't exist unless you have a magical machine which can do arbitrary length integer arithmetic in constant time.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

fritz posted:

Closed form solution, O(log n) square-and-multiply ops, you just need sublinear floating point multiply.

doubles lose integer precision at 2^53+1, so that won't work.

the nth fibonacci number takes on the order of n bits to represent. again, unless you have a magical machine which can do arbitrary decimal math in sublinear time with respect to the number of bits, you cannot write a sublinear fibonacci algo.

its like you guys have never even touched a computer.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Zero The Hero posted:

This is just terrible advice. I don't have the money to live in any of the big tech cities. I barely have the money to live here. I've been sick for a week, trying to avoid the doctor, because I couldn't afford it. I finally caved out of necessity, cost me 150$. I'll have to pick up 2 or 3 extra days at work to cover the bill. I can't afford a van, the car I have likely wouldn't survive the trip, and I don't think I can get interviews with no phone and an address of "Honda Civic". I'm not trying to give a sob story or anything, my life isn't bad. I live comfortably when I'm not sick and I don't have the massive student loan debt most of my friends have. But your advice isn't even a remote possibility for me. I've got a friend who lives near LA, he may be upgrading to a bigger place soon, and then I may have a chance to move, provided I can find a job within walking distance to keep me afloat until I find a career job. But until then, I'm here for the other advice in this thread, like how to improve my resume or what to expect in a professional interview.

and what everyone here is saying is that you do not literally have to be in the area to apply for jobs in that area. we have these things called telephones and the internet which make it easy to

0. do you actually live in a honda civic? if so, don't list your home address. if not, list your home address. alternatively, list the home address of a friend.
1. where do you use the computer? if its a public computer, go to 1a, if its not go to 1b
1a. do you have friends? ask if you can use their cell phone/home phone for 45 minutes to talk to a person who has the chance to pay you 80 thousand dollars in a very nice locale known to some as "the bay"
1b. voice.google.com
2. if your unimaginative, depression rotted mind can somehow pass the phone interview stage then a company will actually fly you out to "the bay" and put you up in a nice hotel. you get to put on your favorite whitesnake t-shirt and acid washed jeans and get a chance at being hired!
3. did you know? when tech companies hire you they will give you a decent relocation package! this include: house hunting trip, paying to move your stuff, and even the ticket to fly your rear end out to sf. this is not just google, facebook, microsoft, amazon, etc.; all tech cos will do this for you. if they don't, then they clearly do not know what they're doing and you should probably not work there.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
My company gave me 3k for general expenses, set me up with a "relocation assistant", scheduled & paid the movers for me, would pay off my lease break, paid for and sets up apt hunting trip and my final fly out, corporate housing if I needed it, and would set me up with corporate housing if I needed it until I find an actual apt.

I'm sure scrub tier places do some of this. The smaller place at which I worked did most of this.

x freakin d bro

FamDav fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 19, 2013

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

You mean when half of a page was people getting the lovely prefix and postfix interview question wrong, and the other half was debating how lovely it was?

Zhentar posted:

We are way better at programming than you.

This should be posted at the top of the first page.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
put the blurb about education near the bottom. remove the line cook and probably the sales job.

expand the intern section drastically.
expand the capstone project

get rid of the personal project section. maybe put them up on github if thats your thing.

also yeah format it better.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
i'm personally a fan of these two resumes from the OP

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fhfx9l0kkwld6c/cicero_resume.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r6jwpoxvttdgxl/astr0man%20-%20resume.pdf

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
That dude that asked about a phone interview should get used to something like collabedit because he'll probably/maybe/never use it during a phone interview

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

CatsPajamas posted:

Language-wise it's my impression that C and C++ are likely the most widely used programming languages, but the current three for higher level application development are C#, Java and Python. For web development of course there's Javascript, and it seems like PHP is widespread (even if people think it's terrible), but Ruby on Rails and ASP.net are the other two I frequently hear mentioned. I think functional programming is still used more in academia than industry, but the most common names I hear about that are Haskell and Scala. Finally, it apparently can't hurt to know Perl

What language you know isn't as putting in the effort to understand/know a language. You should be able to talk about control structures, type systems, polymorphism, memory management, and optimization. (un)Surprisingly, a lot of the knowledge you gain will generalize to other languages.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Tunga posted:

If someone offers you £5k more than you were expecting should you ask for even more anyway? I pretty much just said "yeah that it in line with my expectations" and that was that. Then after I wondered if I should have asked for another £2k or something just to see what they'd say.

dude come on dont be so down on yourself. like look you got a good dick so use it and slap that thing in my hand here let put a little spit on it and shine it up. yeah dude look at that thing pulsing and getting big. feels pretty warm buddy you got this now go on and get more money :).

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Tunga posted:

In the UK, yes. It'll list like two jobs and tell me that the average developer salary is £25k or something hilarious.

Edit: V V V "Junior developer" gives me two results in London, "Android developer" gives me none. Maybe I'm being too specific.

Edit edit: I also have an unquenchable hatred for any site that constantly tries to make me log in with Facebook for no good reason.

A non-obvious issue with glassdoor is that it is a square hole which doesn't fit any companies.

Example: look at the entry for SDE I for Amazon. The range for pay is something like 80k-200k. This is through some combination of:

1) Historical data messing with the present day range
2) People putting different combinations of salary/bonus/RSUs for their base income instead of in the correct additional income categories.

Glassdoor is bad at telling you much beyond "This job pays poorly/alright/decently/amazingly."

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
You're nervous because you have no job, not that you are unqualified. Just start applying for jobs and you'll get yourself sorted in 2-3 months.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Tres Burritos posted:

Man, just did my first ever codility online programming session / interview question thing and it was stressful as gently caress. Being put on a clock is really nerve wracking.

assuming its a 30 minute deal, youll probably be best served by splitting up your time as

3-5 minutes: read problem statement, and make sure there arent any gotchas
10-15 minutes: figure out how you want to solve it, write some pseudocode
10-15 minutes: code up solution

also some of famdav's top tips:
1) know your standard library
2) if youre using a c or a c++, make sure your types can contain your results. you should probably just use long long everywhere.
3) be really dumb about your implementation
4) dont fret about optimizations that will improve best case behavior until after you have a conforming answer.
5) if for some reason you can't figure out the base case, pick some small problem size at which you will brute force a solution.

and finally, some algorithmic complexity top tips:

if you have an n^2 algorithm on unsorted data and they want n log n, then you should start by sorting your input. if you can use additional space, you can probably get linear time with a hash table.

if you have an n^2 algorithm and they want linear, think about what happens if you go over the data in one direction and then the other.

you can often reduce time/space complexity by doing less at the same time.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Hey guys don't move to seattle, it's not awesome.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
Yes the doctor is close.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
dont work at a startup tho

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
when somebody asks me what interests me i usually say baking, bouldering, and hiking.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
they probably went with the person who used a heap.

sorry about it.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jsor posted:

I guess part of my problem is that I think at an algorithmic level more than a code level?

are you sure about this?

quote:

I did mention the linked list in the post-script :p.

because this doesnt help you, asymptotically. in fact it might hurt you in actual measured performance depending on how you implement it.

quote:

As for the heap, I guess. I thought of it, since O(n) goes to O(log n) but a heap really seemed like overkill (unless that was a joke). I didn't want them to think I was overengineering it.

this, however, would. its the smart answer. keeping track of the "n most x things" is a task well suited to a heap.

would you have trouble writing a heap implementation in 5 minutes?

also you sound insufferable.

FamDav fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 25, 2013

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

wolffenstein posted:

Well I've never touched .NET, and I do need help with the non-technical questions as well. Thanks anyway.

if you want to do some:

non-technical questions
algos
c++
haskell

hit me up with a pm. depending on your timezone i can do some nights/mornings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
option 3) run