Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I just got out of an interview with Microsoft for an internship position and I feel terrible.

The overall interview went well, but during the coding section I was asked to code up a palindrome checker.

Really simple, right? I set out to do it.

Unfortunately, I ended up writing a naive checker and completely forgot to check for null and empty strings and really hosed up in general. I realized this literally 15 seconds after I walked out. I feel like I completely screwed everything up.

EDIT: Embarrassing code removed.

Just retyping this makes me sick to my stomach as I realize how badly I screwed up. Nervousness kills.

unpurposed fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a good idea about the average salary for iOS developers in San Francisco? I've heard mixed numbers, anywhere from 80-125k. I'm hoping people here have some anecdotal evidence as I'm trying to decide on a job.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
By the way, how do people feel about those kinds of long coding exercises? I've gotten some that have been extreme in scope and would require a significant amount of time and effort to complete.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
How do you guys approach asking for more compensation Ina a negotiation? I have two job offers and one that I really want. The one that I want has higher base salary but lower bonus/stock whereas the other has slightly lower salary but much higher bonus/stock. What's the approach here?

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help this thread has provided in my job search. Received, negotiated, and accepted a job offer!

To chime in, I've only ever spoke with internal recruiters. Is there ever a reason to go through a recruiting company? It seems like more of a hassle.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
As someone who went from pure Windows development to OSX, it does take a bit to get used to it, but once that's done it's pretty great. Now I just do my gaming on Windows.

Also, you'll probably get to the point where you become so comfortable and familiar with the CLI that the little annoyances of OSX vs Linux will push you to the point where you just start working in the shell all the time in a VM or ssh'ed to a remote machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a question regarding offer letters. If a company gets bought before you start, but you've already signed the offer letter stating that you would start on a certain date, is it still binding?