Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So, I appear to have a dilemma. Hopefully this is the right place to air it.

An old contact of mine called me out of the blue about a position he apparently has open in his company. They're fairly new---about six years now---and they exclusively develop software in-house for other companies, no seat filling onsite, no extended support contracts, etc. The work environment seems "fun", and my contact made it a point to give me the hard sell; for eample, he brought up jobs the company was doing that matched a concern I had aired to him in a conversation almost three years ago, about how what I was doing wasn't really making a difference in people's lives. (The project was for an app to help doctors detect potential child abuse, but I digress.)

On paper, it sounds super exciting, but here lately two things have been bothering me:

1) My "too good to be true" RADAR is pinging like mad, and
2) I already have a job I've been at for about a year.

#2 is what worries me the most, I think. I feel like a horrible traitor getting yanked out from under my current job like that, especially since I'm not really dissatisfied with it, but this could be a dream position. :ohdear:

Allowing that I'm doing due diligence in research and plan on asking a lot of polite questions about future revenues in the interview, has anyone been in this situation before? I know it's just business, but my gut is telling me to slam on the brakes hard, and I don't know if it's justified. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Thanks, everybody! I'm coming in on late Friday afternoon to take a skill test at their location, so I can nose around the office at that time and see what the atmosphere is like. We'll see where it goes, I guess. :)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ithaqua posted:

At this point, if you asked me "how does a quicksort work?" I'd just shrug.

List<string> test = new List<string>();
test.Sort();

:haw:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So, I had a programming test with that place I mentioned earlier in the thread. I thought I passed with flying colors, but apparently there was a complaint about one of my solutions to word-wrapping a text file at 80 characters. It was going to take too long to code the logic myself, so I poked around the web and found the following regex:

.{1,80}(\\s|$)|\\S+(\\s|$)

It seemed to work fine, and the initial glanceover seemed headslappingly simple: greedy up to 80 characters w/a space or EOL at the end, or a word longer than 80 with a space or EOL at the end. I tested it, it worked, I moved on so I could get the rest of the test done.

Apparently, the people reviewing the test weren't happy with it, as I was informed I would be "more closely scrutinized" during the followup interview (which is an hour and 45 minutes!) for using the regex. :raise:

Not getting a real good feeling about this interview all of a sudden.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Lurchington posted:

well, depending on the job and potential co-workers, it may be as simple as a sanity check that you can explain what's going on in that regex and explain some variations on the problem based on other constraints. Regular expressions are (in my opinion) one of the easier things one could copy and paste after googling, without understanding what it actually is.

Yeah, that sounds fair, just seems sort of... passive aggressive. They call me at a job I'm happy with specifically to give me the hard sell, then tell me my fix is under "increased scrutiny" and I'm one of eight candidates in consideration. I'm kind of getting mixed signals here!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

shrughes posted:

You had the awesomest solution to the problem. You might be under "increased scrutiny" but that just means they're going to pay more attention to you, that you'll stand out more, and that they'll be more likely to hire you.

I like the cut of your jib, sailor! :q:

Thanks for the confidence boost. I interview tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ninjeff posted:

Senior Train Architect

Locomotion Designs Consultant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ninjeff posted: