Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Aredna posted:

That's how I solved it in the past for a problem where you drew colored rectangles in a specific order and then had to say how much of each color was would be on top.

For the single color solution you could even sort the list of rectangles and significantly increase average case performance by reducing the number of comparisons for each new rectangle.

Surprisingly I find this problem easier than selecting a truly random element from a b-tree, but that's probably a result of spending too much time with programming contest type problems and little real world programming experience.

There exists a less lovely version of this somewhere in a good comp geom textbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Amarkov posted:

You've been in the tech bubble too long. In industries which are not engineering/CS, people do exactly this... except it's months rather than a week, and the agreed upon pay is $0. If you balk at this, you take your bargaining power right out the door, because there are a few other people who are waiting for their opportunity to work for no pay.

Unpaid internships are straight up illegal if they aren't for something educational (if I'm remembering my employment law correctly). DoL was supposed to be cracking down on this lately so if you're feeling vindictive you could report firms.

e: Here's a better list: http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/keeping-unpaid-internships-legal-six-re-42428/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

shrughes posted:

What kind of crazy deranged companies require an official transcript?

The government, usually.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

GenJoe posted:

So I'm in a weird situation Re: internships. I'm a freshman, so I don't have much experience off the bat, but I managed to get an interview with a big defense contractor in February, and they decided to bring me along for the summer which is pretty cool given that I probably at the very bottom of the intern pile at pretty much everywhere. The position was in Colorado Springs, and they offered a housing stipend, got me a secret clearance, and have been pretty good at keeping me in the loop until a few weeks ago when they just flat out cut me from the Colorado Springs position because of sequestration. They said that a position was still open in Phoenix (I live in Pittsburgh for reference), and that they would be glad to have me over there, which I of course said yes to while trying to not sound totally desperate. The problem is I that still have basically zero information regarding it. Evey time I've asked them hey what's up, they said to look for an updated offer either the next day or the day after, and then when that doesn't happen they just say the same thing again. The HR person that I have been in contact with has been super nice and I don't really doubt her sincerity or anything, but the situation is still pretty worrying given that I'm out of school, summer has started, and the position is all the way in Phoenix and I haven't heard anything.

Anyway, I got an email from a recruiter at another big defense contractor that I applied to way long ago, saying that they wanted to set up a phone interview for a position in the Baltimore area. I'm really tempted to bite on this but I'm not sure how to bring up the fact that I'm in flux with this other company -- I'd really like to do some kind of software this summer but given how shaky company #1 has been I would be a little concerned if I just sat waiting on them. Any suggestions moving forward?

If that clearance is still valid you are worth a lot of money so no harm in shopping around.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Gazpacho posted:

Professional dress customs are more relaxed in California than in Tennessee. You don't need a suit or a tie but black dress pants with a dress shirt and shoes will help to make a good impression.

It never hurts to ask your contact especially because there is no way to know in advance what a company likes for interviews.

Some financial firms I know of pretty much require suit+tie in interview but their day-to-day is just as casual as a startup.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Doghouse posted:

How hard is it really to get in?

Not a googler but after speaking to the ones I know the application process is typically the most difficult part of the job. The bar is very high and you better be prepared to have people probe everything about your skills.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

gucci void main posted:

SF is hilariously overpriced

Sulk, master of labor economics.

NYC is pretty /underpriced/ for this sort of poo poo actually. Essentially the same job paying 30-40k less in total comp. (Data engineering/analysis not SE though)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Importing this from the UKMT:

Basically I've got a London based offer (I'm a US citizen) for £49k salary, maybe £65k total comp if I'm feeling generous.

I also have an offer from a web based company in SF that's $100k salary, around $160k total compensation.

Same type of job, good companies in each case, good prospects for advancement etc.

From my experience in the UK £49k is excellent but it's like $73k in a major metropolitan city like SF which is peanuts compared to the other offer.

I'm obviously going to negotiate it up but is this normal?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Cicero posted:

UK salaries are definitely way lower than the US. Although US developer salaries are so high it's probably not that UK salaries are low in particular, I'd guess that they're not significantly lower than most other first-world countries.

I've never really heard a good explanation of why, though. UK tech companies are less profitable than US ones? UK has higher wages for lower-skilled jobs that flatten out the wage curve?

I'll add that this is with the UK branch of an American company so it's not like they can't afford it if they chose to.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

csammis posted:

I've heard candidates talk about isomorphisms but what the hell?

e: huh, I thought of philosophy first but you probably mean this hylomorphism? I've never heard that term :saddowns:

Pfft if it doesn't use a zygohistomorphic prepromorphism, it ain't worth talking about.

Hylomorphisms are basically how stream fusion works.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Sarcophallus posted:

That depends on the state. It's only true for 'At-Will' employment.

At will employment does have important exemptions: you can't be fired for a discriminatory reason, among others. It's really worth knowing what applies to you in your state since you can sue for compensation if you're illegally fired (Which happens a lot of the time, with the employer often helpfully documenting everything!)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

oRenj9 posted:

Linear algebra can be really hard. The concepts are straightforward enough, but many school treat it as the transition class into higher-level mathematics. For me, LA was the first math class where I was expected to know how to write proofs and expected to solve problems in a general sense. In calculus, your teacher would show you the "idea" behind a concept such as the disk method, but never require you to formally show why it works. It's different in LA, as you will probably required to show that a solution holds true for an entire subspace.

Like Ithaqua, I managed to squeak by with a pity D by coming to the professor's office every week with homework questions. If you're going to learn it, you're going to need to dedicate some serious time; ten or so hours a week should suffice. I've found this free, online book to be extremely helpful when trying to recall material. If you can get your hands on Mathematica, that will make your life infinitely easier.

I've found it pretty useful actually beyond the obvious 3d applications. It can be extremely useful for data analysis and has popped up in various forms in every AI class that I've taken.

Linear algebra is absolutely essential to 3d graphics (projective geometry is more helpful) but virtually all well-behaved scientific and modeling problems have first order approximations that use it.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

You guys are making me really look forward to this upcoming semester. Linear Algebra, Discrete Structures, and Numerical Analysis are my math classes.

what kind of weirdo college teaches numerical analysis without requiring linear algebra as a pre-req?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Ochowie posted:

Yeah I agree with this. How would even basic numerical analysis make sense without LA? I guess you could talk about the Taylor series with just calc tools, but still.

You can do approximation of functions I guess but it all ends up turning into giant linear algebra programs for speed reasons???

Linear algebra is cool + useful and necessary to understand modern machine learning, which are usually constrained optimization problems so learning up your KKT/Newton's method is good to know. It's not just scientific/graphics stuff but joe web-dev probably doesn't need to know I guess.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Pseudo-God posted:

I checked online here:
http://www.compileonline.com/compile_cpp_online.php
and I got 19. gently caress this problem, like others said, this is one of the worst ways to check understanding of pre and post increment.

It's me, I'm the person relying on non-standard insertions of sequence points.

http://c-faq.com/expr/seqpoints.html

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

seiken posted:

I think nCk is a weird notation for "n choose k", the number of ways of choosing k objects from a set of n objects (n!/(k!(n-k)!)), and nPk I guess is the number with replacement (n^k). To be fair, these are fundamental and do come up a bunch in algorithms and complexity.

But I definitely get the sense the 'mentor' is a PhD statistician who has never interviewed for a programming job.

Yeah unless you're interviewing for a Stats position knowing Bayesian networks and F-score is not necessary.

The rest is stuff a good basic math and stats course should teach but is totally not necessary for most programming jobs (except induction to help understand proofs of algorithms)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

So how many of these cities have you lived and worked in?

I can get the hate for sf since it's a giant suburb with an absurdly expensive city bolted on but NYC is a nice place to live on a developers salary when you're young and don't have kids.

London and Berlin have visa requirements and the rest have a much more limited tech industry than sf or NYC.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

And how many of [SF Bay area] have you lived and worked in?

What's your point? It's a nice place but you need a car and that's a turnoff for a lot of people.

Go wherever you're getting paid and like living.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

My point is that a lot of people in this thread are giving what I believe is likely poorly informed advice about where is a good place to live and build a career in software.

You do not need a car in the Bay Area, as compared with most cities I've visited or lived in in the US. If you think the SF area requires a car if you are going to live somewhere affordable (outside SF proper), then your list of alternatives in the US must be very short, or you've never been to the east bay.

How do you commute to mountain view from the east bay every day and not shoot yourself? You absolutely need a car in the Bay Area unless you really love Caltrain.

It's not like the east bay is all that affordable anymore either.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

Yes, mountain view is the only city in the Bay Area with software jobs.

I have years of living experience in SF, the peninsula, and the east bay, and I am 100% dead certain that it is possible to live in Oakland or Berkeley and have a high paying software job with an entirely reasonable commute and more than enough spare cash without owning a car.

I say this not because I think the SF area is THE place to be, but because it is A very good place to be, and arguments that it is too suburban or boring or whatever the gently caress are horseshit. You won't see me telling people not to live in some other place that I have no experience living in, or that I have some subjective beef with. I expect the same from others

My point was not that mv is the only chunk of the Bay Area with jobs, it was that the areas with high end tech jobs in the Bay Area are among the most expensive places on the planet, so either you pony up the ridiculously high rents or you commute. If you're getting paid a shitload it doesn't matter.

The peninsula is a giant suburb, if you like that great. Having lived there, I can say that I don't. Yeah sf is a great tech city but you're gonna pay for it in time or money.

Whatever floats your boat.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

Yes, the peninsula is a giant lovely suburb, and the commute to there from just about anywhere is awful.

However, there are many many high end tech jobs in SF proper, and many places to live that are far more affordable than the ridiculous poo poo you see in SOMA and have entirely reasonable commutes into the city.

Sorry you had a bad experience, I have also had a few around here and I've learned from them; I don't think the appropriate response is to turn people in this thread away from the whole area.

I think sf is a great place and it would be stupid to not consider jobs there. Unless you're sulk I guess.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Steve French posted:

There is nothing regular about a group interview, never mind a remote group interview.

The uk has a weird fascination with group interviews, often called assessment centers, so it might be a cultural thing

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Jsor needs some therapy to deal with depression and anxiety or w/e and should go to a non shitlord therapist

Source: imposter syndrome is pretty common and treatable

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

pigdog posted:

IoC and DI are pretty much synonyms, but the idea is that you don't instantiate other code components such as services that your component uses, but expect to receive them pre-made in a constructor or a setter, don't care by whom. A DI framework, or a piece of code acting as one, or a testing framework would provide them when the program is run. As Ithaqua was trying to say, it loosens up the dependencies and makes initiating and testing individual components easy.

So is this just a fancy way of saying parametrize your classes?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

shrughes posted:

Who memorizes big O performance of things? You should be able to re-derive it for any algorithm you want to use or are shown (if not extremely sophisticated), on the spot.

Good luck deriving a tight upper bound for union find on the spot but it's easy to establish an upper bound

Also asymptotic notation elides constant factors and usually assumes a cache less model which makes many algorithms impractical

A good way to see that is to look at the wiki articles for multiplication algorithms. Many of them are only practical at astronomically large numbers

Being able to know when and where asymptotic analysis applies is really useful

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, you don't know what it is, but you're sure it would take a minute to learn? Please spare a minute and tell me what it is, then, since I've been trying to figure it out for two years now.

In mvvm you don't bind the view to the model, but to a projection of the model into something more useful called the viewmodel. You still have controllers floating around doing logic but the views are coded against the ViewModel rather than the model. It's a subtle distinction but still useful.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Skuto posted:

I'm annoyed at people who think the typesetting discussion is a tangent.

The post that spawned it was IMHO overly harsh because the person's resume was all Windows/Microsoft toolsets. Obviously in such a situation using Word is quite normal.

However, when we hire for Unixy positions and you send us something that reeks of Word, or, god forbid, a .doc file, that *is* a strike against you. Call it discrimination or prejudice, you're now the black person in the alley (with apologies to black readers, but you probably know better than anyone what prejudice I'm talking about!) and it's up to you to prove the prejudice wrong.

So stop calling it a tangent or irrelevant. There's plenty of positions where sending a Word resume is equivalent to sending one with obvious language mistakes. If you're applying to a Unix/FOSS position or one involving hard sciences, (La)TeX is the tool of the trade and using something different makes you stand out, for better or for worse.

cool you are holding something that the applicant has little control over (many many lovely hr systems and recruiters will not accept anything but docs)

best option write it in markdown and use pandoc to transcribe it to doc/tex :rms:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I have a dream that one day I will be judged not on the file extension of my resume, but on the character of its content

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Null Pointer posted:

Prettier typesetting. For example, Google Docs and Word use a greedy word wrapping algorithm that's optimized for speed so they can do a real-time preview. TeX uses an O(n^2) dynamic algorithm which minimizes the sum of squared space to the right of each line. The result looks more professional.

LaTeX sounds complicated but it's secretly a much lazier way to write. You can leave all of the styling minutiae up to document classes and packages, and you'll still end up with something that looks very good. But the advantages all sorta fall apart when you start talking about writing a custom document class for a one-off 1-2 page resume.

The most important thing to ask to a latex resume haver is to explain the knuth-plass-Liang algorithm and/or dynamic programming because it's actually relevant to programming

And it's a good solid interview question. I don't expect anyone to actually solve it in an interview but a good stab at it is worth a lot

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Pilsner posted:

I can kinda see Skuto's point, even though he has taken it to the extreme. His point is that a specialized resume is a secret handshake that indicates that this person is likely very good at using a computer, and has an interest in very specialized and technical stuff related to computers. This most likely translates into a lot of other useful knowledge, far beyond just being a narrow-minded 9-5 developer. It's like a small signal that will pique the interest a likeminded lead developer/manager. However, the chance is of course slim that said hiring manager will even know what it's about, and of course a LaTeX-using neckbeard is not guaranteed to be a good employee. But still, even though I don't use LaTeX, I know what it is about, and I would personally spend just a minute more looking into a candidate that is using it.

There could be many other better examples of displaying such specialized knowledge, though. For example, running a useful tech-related website, having released a pice of software or contributing to open source projects, skills is esoteric programming languages, being a fast keyboard typist/shortcut guru, knowing regex in detail, etc. You could contest all of those points with "that's not necessary knowledge in order to be a good developer!!", but they're just positive signals.

Hmm yes my specialized use of microtypographic features such as margin kerning and interletter tracking is the surest sign that I am a good engineer, especially when many of the systems I have to send my resume to explicitly choke on pdfs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

No. I'm absolutely certain of that fact, too. They did not want someone cheap, they wanted someone who could get work done. Besides, I'm being paid by the staffing company. For all I know where I actually work doesn't have a clue what I'm being paid.

Nevertheless, I was told I was hired because I showed aptitude, even if I didn't have a ton of experience. This is what they wanted. I was later told that I figured stuff out and got up to speed too quickly to really be mentored, so they just put me at a full work load with the rest of the team and kept the ball rolling.

I've since worked myself out of work to do on both of my features since $CLIENT is having $TIMECONSUMINGHANGUP on $OTHERRELATEDPROJECT so I'm helping out everyone else, documenting stuff, playing clean up, etc. I'll be taking over what the team lead was working on so he can focus on team-lead-type-stuff next week.

When I put it that way I'm probably in a good position to negotiate and should stop worrying.

Work knows they're overpaying for you if the staffing company is paying. Their vig is surprisingly large.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

It's really strange how the places with good benefits, salary, and environment are uniformly filled with terrible assholes. And all the great people in good environments settle for terrible compensation. And like, any other interpretation of this asinine reduction.

You got sulked

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Ithaqua posted:

Do not gently caress with your job title, that's one of the things that is usually confirmed when talking to former employers. I've actually seen people get hosed out of jobs for this.

Also don't insert "engineer" in states that give a poo poo about it being a protected title like Texas.

Titles are easily verified so don't lie

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

I've been programming as a hobby for years, but I work in TV post production as a colorist, a field (almost) entirely unrelated to CS. However, at my current job, I've ended up doing a lot of programming and development. My projects have been small relative to a full time developer, but I'm still happy with them:

- A web based (rails) CMS that allows producers/editors to upload clips to our AWS server (which I also manage), where they're re-encoded to a webstreaming friendly format (via ffmpeg). From here, they can be streamed (with wowza media server) to whoever needs to view them. The webstream can be accessed via a "public link," that is only accessible via a randomly generated URL.

- An GUI frontend for ffmpeg (OSX/Objective C). It allows our editors to easily produce a web-optimized h264 file, with the option to burn in a timecode window (something few, if any, GUI based encoders support, but is essential in post production).

- An assortment of other programs that I would mention in a resume but not here.

My question is, does this experience count for anything if I don't work for an actual tech company? I have plenty of bosses who will confirm that I've done these things, but they are not programmers and have a fairly limited understanding of what I've accomplished. If this were coupled with some open source projects on github and good interviewing skills, would I have a shot at landing a programming job? (I do not have a college degree).

Release some of the GUI stuff as open source and make a decent landing page for them and other people would take notice (make sure your company is ok with this)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

a slime posted:

Google internships are off the chain crazy. Between housing, travel, and stipend, the total compensation for 12 weeks of work is in the neighborhood of 45,000 USD. How does that even loving make sense

Because they can effectively vet a prospective employee which is worth a lot more than 45k. Hell that's chump change to get a high quality employee.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

perfectfire posted:

Don't people get flown out for entry level job interviews all the time?

yeah just get past the phone screens and any company worth its salt will fly you out

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Cicero posted:

Yeah, but those people usually have CS degrees with good GPAs and/or programming internships or other experience. Pollyanna has a BME degree and a relatively small amount of coding experience on the side. It's not unfathomable that she would be flown out, but I'm not sure it's likely either.

Nope, it's all based on whether the candidate is worth flying out.

If you can get past the phone screens, you're almost surely worth flying out.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Cicero posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you. What I'm saying is that a company may filter out very inexperienced non-local candidates at the resume stage, choosing instead to invest their resources into local candidates and non-local candidates who do have more experience.

For example, I never got so much as a phone screen with Google while in college. But once I had experience with Amazon on my resume, a recruiter was interested in talking to me.

My point is that the market is so tight that locality doesn't matter. Fire away, say you're up to move and go for it.

(I had multiple companies pay for international flights before I graduated and I don't have a CS degree)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

coffeetable posted:

[Min, Mean, Max] from Glassdoor, converted to pounds:

Google Software Engineer, California: [£50k, £70k, £130k]
Google Software Engineer, UK: [£15k, £45k, £60k]

Microsoft Software Development Engineer, California: [£40k, £65k, £85k]
Microsoft Software Development Engineer, UK: [£30k, £55k, £75k]

Amazon Software Development Engineer I, California: [£55k, £60k, £80k]
Amazon Software Development Engineer I, UK: [£30k, £40k, £50k]

This data's distorted in a million ways, but dropping Yank salaries you hear about by ~30% (after converting to pounds, so a ~.4 multiplier overall) seems like a decent rule of thumb for straight software. Other industries of course it's all up in the air.

Oh and you get slammed with higher taxes and a high cost of living (in London).

Yeah that sounds about right but MSFT might be on the higher end in the UK since there are multiple ranks included in that.

Salaries are real loving low for talent in the uk and they wonder why they have trouble hiring people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I want to do low end stuff so much.

What's the magic github project to get your foot in the door? Blah. It's not like I have hardware or testing equipment; are there virtual machines that support testing drivers on them?

Write an os from scratch. Bochs is a good emulator.

Osdev wiki is great. Os dev in general is not hard from a theory perspective but just full of crap you have to know.

Look at courses like cmu's 15410