Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

americong
May 29, 2013

Incredibly massive blunders on my part, leading to a request for advice on what to do.

I'm a CS student between my third and fourth years. I have a lovely resume, so I was having bad luck getting an internship.

I get referred by a friend to a startup. I go in and interview, the place is cool and the work is cool. Nothing about pay gets mentioned at that time, but I (lol) figure there will be some sort of formal paperwork with it on there later.

The person leading the dev team says go ahead and come in.

When I start, they have me fill out a W-9, an NDA, and that's it. Okay.

Fast forward three weeks - ~compensation~ gets mentioned a couple times in emails to the interns. I'm getting paid something, I figure. The work's really nice, anyways - great language, great project, not a lot of bullshit.

Today I remember that thing I was worrying about way earlier, email the person who's been acting as HR contact for the interns, and she says my direct boss told me in the interview it was unpaid. (I probably would have remembered that - oh well.)

I email him, ask what's up with the situation. He walks over to my cube, says he doesn't play that poo poo, and repeats that he said in the interview that it was unpaid. I tell him calm down, it's worth my time to be here, there was just a misunderstanding. He is greatly mollified.

I guess I can elaborate on whatever stuff people think is relevant but that's the gist of it.

I'm aware that I'm a loving idiot, although you're welcome to remind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americong
May 29, 2013

Doghouse posted:

Eh...stay on board and hope that you make millions when Google buys the company?

I'll ask for an angel investment in my prospects to make big startup bucks, at least I'm a better idea than Yo!

americong
May 29, 2013

Otto Skorzeny posted:

What they're doing is almost certainly illegal whether they're aware of it or not (you cannot have unpaid interns unless they do zero work. Not zero net work, not "well they do work that we use but we spend more effort teaching and directing them than we get from them", zero work period.). It also sounds sleazy as hell; have you asked the other interns privately whether they were told they were getting paid or not? Final note: them giving you a W9 rather than a W4 is quite bush-league. Is this a funded startup?

Haven't really talked to the others much at all - I'm the only one on dev.

They've been around for a few years so I would have to assume that they are capable of making payroll.

And I know about the pay legality thing - but it's not something I can convince myself is worth it to bring up, because looking for a ft position next year without a summer of interning sounds far more difficult than it is worth.

americong
May 29, 2013

So let's be clear. Consensus is leave, work on open source for the summer, and probably take legal action?

I'm sorry if I came off as trying to defend them - I know they're being really scummy. (Actually, why would they have me fill out the w9 in any case?)

The residual reluctance is because, well, I really fuckin' like what work they had me doing. I know that sounds stupid (IS stupid) but it was flavoring my actions in the moment.

e: This isn't really a question. I need to quit. Anyone know off the top of their heads the best avenue to go through for making them stop that poo poo/back wages if it's worth trying/~making things right~?

americong fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 20, 2014

americong
May 29, 2013

Skuto posted:

If you're looking for a summer project to replace a real internship, finding whatever iOS or Android app you use that is most crappy, or you find lacking, and thinking if you can write a better replacement is also nice. Maybe it'll be calculator app nr 5273262 on the appstore but maybe it won't.

Basically the "One technique is to keep a running list of things from your own life as a computer user that bug you, and could be better." that was already said. Scratch your own itch.

Writing an extension/app from zero will tech you different things compared to contributing the an existing project (having to do full stack design yourself vs having to cooperate and getting code reviewed). I don't think any is better than the other, you'll just end up doing different things.

Some open source projects (mainly the bigger ones, for obvious reasons) provide specific pointers where new contributors are welcome. The previous poster mentioned Firefox, that has bugs specifically marked "Mentored bugs", "Good first bugs" and "Student Projects" which might be quite suitable.

Firefox's compiler-like stuff (so the js engine) would actually be pretty drat relevant to my interests to work on

I also have a friend on another open-source compiler project who wouldn't mind showing me some ropes and getting me some bugs to squish

Really considering doing the ground-up app thing, though - as much as mobile dev really, really isn't my jam, it's a drat good way to get a decent job (that pays real money)

e: lmao you weren't even replying to me but it was good advice

americong
May 29, 2013

Skuto posted:

I'd be wary of motivational issues. You want to do something that improves your chances of landing a decent job...doing something you don't like?

I didn't read closely enough and was under the impression Newf was replying to you, but he was replying to a similar question (what projects to do to attract an internship instead of what projects to do to replace an internship). The answers are similar though, only the scope and complexity might differ a bit.

Mobile apps (at least among my peers) seem to be a decent way to get a job period - in order to put even a lovely one out, you have to be capable of putting together a complete product that a human can interact with and like, tons of people are mysteriously incapable of this.

americong
May 29, 2013

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Python code:
return list(string) == list(reversed(string))

All things considered, it's probably for the best that they show off the hard and fast way to do it in a technical interview, even if the oneliner slow way is just fine for small n.

americong
May 29, 2013

Onsite with Amazon in a few weeks, any company-specific tips? I hear they're a bit of a meatgrinder, especially for entry-levels, so I'm going to talk to a few more companies as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americong
May 29, 2013

I went through an informal screening process for a place, and now they want professional references.

I haven't had an actual job since I was in high school, and my supervisor for that is long, long gone from the school.

Moreover, I don't have any professor friends.

What on earth should I give them