Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
shrughes owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog

umbrage posted:

You are eventually going to find a shop where the coders are good, but just don't have the time/desire/need to learn LINQ

I don't think this is true. I don't believe it's possible to be a good C# coder and know nothing about LINQ and not want to.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog

Plorkyeran posted:

"gets bored and quits when they have enough money to live for a while" generally isn't considered a positive

If you don't want your employees to quit out of boredom, don't give them boring work. Problem solved :smugdog:

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog

baquerd posted:

So by taking 3 months off you have just conservatively thrown away an entire year of savings with the above numbers if you live as you are accustomed to.

Which doesn't make you retarded. People are allowed to spend their money on what makes them happy and aren't required to follow your personal financial plan.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
Bogosort and bubblesort are the only search algorithms, and I will fight you about it

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
Director of Train Operations

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
Do people faced with non-compete clauses in their contracts ever negotiate them away?

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
This was linked on HN today and it seems relevant: http://www.kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog

how!! posted:

In real life, being faced with problems like these means you have bigger problems, IMO. Instead of trying to optimize through these types of algorithms, its best to redesign the system itself that makes this type of problem happen in the first place.

In real life, employers would like to hire engineers that can solve hard problems instead of saying "doing [X] is hard, can we do [Y] instead?" Sometimes [Y] simply isn't a substitute and you have to solve real algorithmic problems.

I work at a company that does this constantly, changing requirements to make it easier to build. We do it because profit comes from billing the client for the time it would take to build [X] but only taking the time to build [Y]. Also because we're lazy.

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
Goons I'm trying to find a job but I must be doing something wrong because I've applied to dozens of places and the best I can get is a rejection email. I'm applying to places all up and down the West coast because I'm looking to relocate. I think I'm a smart and productive programmer but clearly employers don't see that. Is my resume garbage? http://gobiner.github.io/

My history is all C# but I don't feel like learning a new language for a new job is a big deal so I've been applying to places that use other technologies, though not to jobs that are "[X] Engineer" expecting 3 years of experience with language [X].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugdog Millionaire
Sep 14, 2002

8) Blame Icefrog
Thanks for the feedback. I do have a plain PDF that I actually submit to job ads, it's just more convenient to link the github version.

Strong Sauce posted:

It seems you have only 3 bullet points at a job you've spent 5 years working. Those three points don't sound like tasks that would take up a large amount of time to complete. If those three bullet points were big tasks that actually did take 5 years to complete, then you need to describe them better because they don't sound like something that takes 5 years to do.

Since the job was web dev agency work, I was working on a new project every 2-12 weeks. It was rare to have any particular task take more than a day to complete. The company had a profit incentive to keep software projects as simple as possible, so the actual work I did was usually trivial. If it wasn't trivial, then it definitely wasn't challenging. The one specific task I listed was the only technical challenge I can remember that I'm proud of solving.