Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

So I did an interview yesterday and was told to expect an e-mail today about the results. I ended up getting a phone call today instead to come in for a "meet and greet" tomorrow, please tell me this is a good sign.

e: Apparently it's with people in other teams?

Also, if I do end up getting an offer, they hinted it would be "non-negotiable" when I first talked to them. Can I still negotiate right away or ask them to e-mail me the details and wait awhile? It's for a co-op job by the way.

It's a good sign. They are interested in you. The "other teams" could mean a few different things. They could think you are a better fit on another team, or the people you are meeting with get input on all new hires, or any number of other things.

Wait for their offer. Try to negotiate after you get it. It's possible that you could get some type of standard college hire package that they really aren't willing to negotiate, but I've never met anybody who lost a job offer because they made a reasonable counter offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Zero The Hero posted:

Hello everyone.

I just had a phone interview with a company called Digital Waybill( http://www.digitalwaybill.com/ ). I applied to an ad I found on craigslist, never heard of the company otherwise. The phone interview took about 15 minutes, but the guy I was talking to said they'd love to have me down there for an in-person interview. I live in Tennessee and they're in California, so they'd be flying me out.

This bothers me because I'm not any kind of exceptional candidate. I have no job experience when it comes to programming, and my resume isn't great. I didn't include the year I graduated, or my GPA, or anything like that. They haven't asked to see my transcript. I don't think I did very well in the phone interview. I only told them I had experience with one of the several technologies they said the job involved. I have no idea why they'd want to invest so much money in me, and it's honestly a bit unnerving. Am I just completely overreacting? Or is it normal for companies to fly underqualified people halfway across the country for entry level jobs?
Have some confidence in yourself. You are probably more qualified than you think.

Even if this place sucks, just relax and enjoy the free trip.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

At Amazon it seems pretty common to have even middle-aged engineers as SDE II. All the seniors I've met have been really really good at their jobs, and they've definitely had a lot more than a couple years experience.

This is one of the reasons that job titles are pretty meaningless. They don't translate from company to company very well.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I went through the Microsoft interview process a little over three years ago now. To my knowledge the overall structure hasn't changed much since then, but it's a big company, so YMMV. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Unfortunately I don't remember what my phone screen was about, so I can't help you there. On the plus side it was apparently uneventful enough that I don't remember it, so it couldn't have been that bad.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

Valve also works in Washington in nearby Kirkland. Also Portland has a lot of tech companies as well.

Valve is currently located in Bellevue, which is also home to Sucker Punch and Bungie. Valve is probably the largest there, although I don't believe any of them employ a particularly large number of developers. I would guess that Boeing and Expedia both employ a good number of developers in the area.

Also, if you ever wanted to work at Real Networks, Seattle could be the place for you.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

oRenj9 posted:

Does anybody have any advice for breaking into the machine learning domain that doesn't involve obtaining a masters/Ph.D? I've been applying all over the country for positions, but it seems like most companies are looking for MS/Ph.D candidates. I feel like I have enough experience to justify consideration; I've done two pretty neat projects for school. One was using PCA to predict unknown substances using "smell" data obtained from an artificial nose and the other was eye gaze tracking using Haar cascades to capture the eyes and neural nets to predict the gaze (though, this is one an unfinished proof-of-concept). I've also taken every AI course offered for undergrads at my university and have been sitting in on the graduate level classes. The Air Force seems to be more willing to accept BS candidates, but their positions seem to all require at least Secret clearance.

Shoot me a PM with some info about yourself. (and don't get too excited, I don't have anything to offer you directly, but may have some contacts)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pilsner posted:

I would optimally like to join a company that sells software, although it isn't a necessity. My big passion within development has always been automation. I love spending hours writing a kickass build script, batch script or regex that solves my problem. I'm also about to embark on writing a tool for building and deploying our entire suite of webservices, libraries and batch applications, which I find exciting. I *love* writing tools, frameworks and libraries that support development, much more than the development that directly provides functionality. I also loathe GUI development, so I'm all about backend.

Can anyone supply me with some "case stories" about how such a dream job could look? I've read about the "dev ops" job position, which kinda sounds like what I'm looking for. Build and Infrastructure also sounds appealing, although of course I don't want to be the one who has to install the Windows servers or do network configuration and such tasks that the sysadmins do.

DevOps and SDET are position titles that may address your desires in one way or another. There are plenty of internal tools or support jobs that would probably be extremely interesting to you. Unfortunately, while I know these positions exist, the job listings may not use the right keywords to make them easy to find.

Amazon did have one helpful listing for "Tools and Build Engineer":

quote:

The Role:
• Design, develop, and maintain automated build systems and documentation, as well as integrating automated testing and report generation.
• Design, develop, and maintain tools for designers, artists, and other developers.
• Identify pipeline bottlenecks and opportunities for automation.
• Solve difficult problems that are sometimes not well defined by writing a lot of elegant and practical code.
• Assist in developing project plans and commitments, then deliver consistently against those commitments.
• Help drive the architecture and technology choices that enable a world-class user experience.
• Be a champion for the user: Insist on the highest standards, and create functional and well-designed tools that delight your customers.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Side note: if you were told your salary was "X with a Y bonus", would you assume it's a signing bonus or a bonus you'd have to work a certain number of hours on a client project for?

I would assume that I will be getting paid only X and ask for more details about what the bonus is and what needs to happen for me to actually get it. It could be a signing bonus that you get now, it could be a signing bonus that get distributed when you hit 2 years, or it could be a "this is your expected yearly bonus that you will totally get every year, oh whoops we were short on budget this year, but you'll totally get it next year" bonus.

tk fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 15, 2013

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

2banks1swap.avi posted:

You Don't Want To Work For A Place That Would Lowball You Anyway™

I'm not sure what you're saying here, because you should try to negotiate non-lowball offers as well. As long as you are reasonable about it, the worst the can happen is that they tell you the original offer stands. At best, you get paid a lot more money.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Back in June I was working with a recruiter (never do this unless you know they're good). He was telling me about a job that sounded pretty cool and I told him I was interested but needed to iron out a few kinks with my current work schedule. One Friday, he shot me an email asking if I could interview the following Tuesday. I immediately reached out to my manager at work to see if I could take half day off. Before I contacted the recruiter again to let him know I couldn't do Tuesday cause I'd be out of town, he emailed me and said "All set for Tuesday!". I immediately told him "No dice" and heard nothing back.

Tuesday rolls around and I get a voice-mail later on in the day (way after the interview time he scheduled for me) from the company that they were expecting me. I didn't really know what to do and felt too embarrassed to call them back, which I realize was dumb but I was really stressed and not thinking clearly at the time. It's now a month later, and the job is being listed still but only through the recruiter. It's a really good fit for me, which is why I'm struggling with the decision. If it was just another job, I'd chalk it up to recruiters being lax assholes with heads in their butts. Do I let it go or try to reach out to the company and explain what happened?

If you don't reach out now, there's no chance that you'll get the job.

If you do reach out now, there's a chance they'll let it slide and give you another shot. Even if they tell you to gently caress off, I can't imagine it will hurt you any more than some embarrassment and maybe a slightly bruised ego. In my opinion, it's worth the risk.

Edit: Or, as mentioned above, maybe hit the recruiter back up. He seems like a dick so he probably won't have any problem scheduling something for you again. But either way, trying something gives you a better chance of getting the job than not.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Pilsner posted:

Heh, just saw this wall of text of "requirements" on a random job posting.

They want an experienced developer, sysadmin, Windows and Linux guy, MSSQL/MySQL and Oracle experience, solid developer in like 8+ languages, solid in networking and TCP/IP, etc., all in one. Good luck.

drat, I can accomplish goals, but I cant accomplish objectives. Guess I'm out.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Tres Burritos posted:

Who was the guy who insisted Craigslist hookups were an untapped wealth of networking and job connections?

I'm sure it won't surprise you to find out that it's shorts and naked hot tub guy up there.

And he didn't really insist anything, he just kind of relayed his experience. I don't think it surprises anybody to know that networking can yield you some good opportunities. Although I imagine that Craigslist hookups isn't necessarily the most efficient networking strategy if you're looking for a job.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Z-Bo posted:

1) I've worked with people before who only do programming to pay the bills. It is absolutely awful.
This is some bullshit right here.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

you know what's absolutely awful? This:

You must not have heard how nice their billiards table is.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

return0 posted:

I'm doing a masters part time now while working full time as a software engineer (so it doesn't really cost me anything) and you're all freaking me out that it might actively go against me in the future!

I wouldn't worry about it. You're also getting real-world job experience; people are going to be more interested in that than your degree. Plus at some places it's a pay hike. I would always recommend getting a job over staying in school for a masters, but if you have a job anyways I don't see a problem other than the impact on your free time.

In my limited experience, a fresh college hire with a masters is no more or less likely to flame out than one with a bachelors.

tk fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 9, 2013

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

bonds0097 posted:

Anyone have experience working in a traditional PM role and feel like sharing some advice? I'm headed to Redmond for a final round interview and I'd appreciate any info on what the job is like compared to a traditional dev role, pros/cons, etc.

Honestly, those are probably good things to ask to your interviewers about. Many of them may be former dev or test, so they could tell you why they switched roles and whatnot.

I'm not a PM, but of the "traditional PMs" that I work with, their role seems to vary greatly from team to team and even person to person. I assume this has to do both with circumstance and what you make of the job.

Standard interview tips: Get sleep the night before (as much as possible) and eat breakfast.

tk fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 17, 2013

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Safe and Secure! posted:

Wait, I thought "relocation assistance" was basically always a reimbursement after you've already paid to move yourself, get an apartment, etc. Based on that, my intent has been to find a low-paying local job (all the local jobs are relatively low-paying) and save my money until I could afford to move to better a market, since I can't afford to do right now. Am I wasting my time because many companies will provide relocation assistance up front?

For my relocation, my company took care of: the movers, shipping my car, flight out to new city, hotel & rental car for a few days in between the movers and the flight, rental car after getting there before my car was delivered, corporate housing while looking for a permanent place to live, an agent to help me find an apartment, reimbursement up to some amount for misc. expenses related to relocation, and breaking my existing apartment lease. Other than the misc. expenses, I didn't see a bill for anything.

There was also a "do it yourself" option that gave you some flat amount in your first paycheck to cover relocation expenses, but gently caress that.

So, I wouldn't let the amount of money currently in your bank account stop you from applying for jobs in a different market. Just make sure you're clear about your relocation situation so you don't waste your time with a place that doesn't have a package that will work for you.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

HondaCivet posted:

Will companies pay to relocate someone for an entry-level job though? I assumed they only do that for the tougher-to-fill senior spots.

Yes. They need the best employees at all level of experience, and relocation cost is fairly minimal for somebody that you think is talented.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DAT NIGGA HOW posted:

Will my code at some point in time break? Maybe but when that happens I'll just fix it again.

The only thing that makes me think this isn't how!! is that he would have suggested a rewrite.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

bonds0097 posted:

You should always be looking for internships. Even Microsoft and the like hire Freshmen sometimes so your level of experience should never limit the kinds of opportunities you seek. Get out there, interview as much as possible and try to find something for the summer. I assume your school has some sort of fall career fair? Even if not, companies are going to start ramping up recruiting for summer internships very soon and you should get on that.

DO NOT GRADUATE WITHOUT WORK EXPERIENCE.

Microsoft has an internship program specifically for underclassmen. Only requirements are calculus and some type of intro to CS course: http://careers.microsoft.com/careers/en/us/internships-explore-microsoft.aspx

I assume similar companies have similar programs.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Safe and Secure! posted:

I just got an email with an offer of $60k. They're also 30 minutes away from my home. I have an in-person interview* coming up with a company that is based 70 minutes away from my home and if I end up getting an offer from them, it's likely to be the same, because I also told that company I was looking for $60-65k.

*The technical lead wanted me to come in for an interview next week. I sent him my availability yesterday and still haven't gotten a reply.

Given equivalent pay, I'd much rather take a 30-minute commute than a 70-minute one. I did 70-80 minutes for my internship (and made $10/hr :suicide:) and don't really look forward to doing it again. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just accept this first offer and cancel the possible interview with the other company?

I wouldn't cancel the second interview just yet. First, having some extra interview experience never hurts. Second, having two offers gives you some leverage in negotiations as long as you aren't a douche about it. Third, there's always the chance that you just fall in love with the second company and decide the commute is worth it, or they let you mostly telecommute, or you want to move, or any number of other things.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Coca Koala posted:

I just recieved a job offer for a small company in Mountain View; the salary they're offering is 85k, with a 10k signing bonus. There's also some bonuses for eg helping them land new clients, helping refer new employees (although sales is most definitely not a required part of the position), so it's possible the salary would get bumped up to around low six figures, without getting into promotion territory. They also cover insurance (health, vision, dental), pre-tax commuter benefits, incentives for training, and free technical books.

I'm excited about the company and the offer; I'm going to do some due diligence with regards to making sure I understand how the 401k and other benefits work, but I'm trying to get a sense for how 85k stacks up compared to other salaries in the area. Specifically, I'm going to be living with a fiancée and supporting the two of us while she goes to school for a year; her family is covering the expense of school, so I would just be covering rent on an apartment and bills for the two of us. That's got to be doable on 85, right? Or should I ask for a bit more to bring it in line with some kind of average?

Yes, you should ask for more, if only because the worst that can happen is that they say no and you still have your original offer. If they say yes, then you make more money. There should be a number of good articles on salary negotiation linked earlier in this thread.

I don't know what the cost of living in or around Mountain View, but certainly do your research. You want to be informed of both how much you'll need and what is reasonable for you to ask for. I can easily see 85k being tight depending on the lifestyle you desire (housing location, toys you want to buy, how much you want to travel, etc.).

Signing bonus money basically doesn't count. It's a nice quick chunk of cash, but $10k isn't that much, especially after taxes.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

Made it to the second round of interviews, and the next one is going to involve coding under screen-sharing alongside a handful of other candidates. Clearly this is going to be a test to see how we perform under pressure, but what are good general strategies to keep in mind during group interviews?

I'm interested in hearing a report about what actually occurs here, because I'm picturing them setting you all up and having you race to implement quick sort or something. Bonus if they do poo poo like randomly switch keyboards to dvorak and rotate your screen image.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

libcxx posted:

Don't be a PM at Microsoft.

PM wouldn't be my my first career choice, but this seems like very odd blanket advice to give.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DreadCthulhu posted:

Someone tell me how to explain to newbies why [unit|functional|integration]-testing is important.

The best explanation I can come up with is that once your system reaches a certain level of complexity, without tests you cannot guarantee a high level of certainty of not introducing new issues. The time spent manually testing that you didn't introduce bugs is easily at least a quadratic function of the codebase size/complexity, meaning you can't ensure anything past a certain point. Additionally, Fixing issues in production in a complex system is very expensive, and preventing them is worth the extra up-front investment. Additionally, the fear of refactoring created by the lack of tests prevents developers from fighting entropy, leading to progressively shittier code-bases that are slow and painful to work with, making people leave or avoid work in those areas at all costs.

What else am I missing?

Even just the process of thinking through what test cases you would use can be a good way to spot design flaws/holes that otherwise may have made it through.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rescue Toaster posted:

So what do you think about the value/danger in taking a more entry level position (more tech-ish) at one of the big companies (think Google/Amazon/Facebook/etc...) with the possibility to work up into a real developer position. The pay is dramatically higher than most new grad developer positions would be. Worst case I suppose is doing it for a couple years, taking the money and leaving. But that's a couple post college years of only semi-related experience, which seems like it could be harmful. Though the name on the resume if not the direct experience is still something.

You should elaborate more on what "a more entry level position (more tech-ish)" means, because there are a few things that might be referred to as such, some that live closer to dev than others.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rescue Toaster posted:

Datacenter. About the most dev-related stuff would be scripting languages (bash, python, perl) for virtual machine deployments and such.

So to simplify the question: Would you consider a basically pure IT job that paid as much as 50% more than entry-level dev? I think the answer is probably obvious, I guess. I suppose I just needed to hear it...

If your goal is to eventually move over to software engineering, I would say no. Obviously I can't speak for all situations in all of those companies, but it doesn't sound like the position in question will give you any special in to a software engineering role. You would probably have to apply and interview for an open dev just like anybody else, with maybe a benefit of your resume getting a more serious look or some dispensed formalities since you're already an employee. Of course the other downside is you wouldn't have any dev experience under your belt.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

piratepilates posted:

Alright this has been bugging me all day now.

I got an offer today for a job doing debugging and fixing of code for a medium sized company near me, I graduated in the summer from a good CS school with a terrible GPA and no internships. I've been searching for jobs for the past 4 or so months and came close to a few junior level developer jobs but didn't get any offers.

This company that sent me the offer seems like a nice place to work and all the people were very friendly. The position itself is basically a full time support/QA/fixing bugs thing, it's not a call center and it's not just messing around in the program trying to find bugs, from what I can tell it involves actual debugging and writing fixes to code and the likes that are close enough to making software to be cool. They said that after 6 months or a year or so that I could be moved over to the full-on development department and the first two guys who interviewed me said that they had started with my job and moved over.

Something about the whole offer just makes me nervous for some reason though, for one the salary they offered me was lower than what I expected (but since it's in the far suburbs of a big city it's more than enough to live comfortable on, especially since I'll be living with my parents and don't have any big expenses) but I haven't tried negotiating to get it higher yet. I'm kind of scared that I'm settling for a job lower than what I could get but I can also see it providing me some experience to actually get me the other jobs that I'd want more.

Am I just being an idiot for not wanting to take it? I'm getting to the point where I feel like I'm just wasting my time sending out applications to places that are looking for better candidates than me. I don't really have anything else lined up except another new grad job that I applied to at a job fair, I went in for one short interview and the guy seemed very impressed with me (telling me so directly even) but I'm not sure I could get another interview and offer in without making the company that already sent me an offer wait too long to just move on to the next person.

I agree with the people above me that you should negotiate and strongly consider taking this position, and I'll even qualify that I'm usually skeptical of promises of promotions/transfers/raises/etc.

You're not getting any experience sitting at home, and what you describe doesn't sound all that different from what you may do as a junior dev at Generic Midsize Company anyways. It should be the kind of position that it's really easy to impress from. If it ends up sucking (e.g. more "support" and less "debugging/fixing") you can always look for something else, and it's always more comfortable to search for a job when you're already getting paid and not stressing out about how you haven't been able to find a job yet.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Safe and Secure! posted:

How common are crunch days where you people work? I've had my job less than forty days and our third "everyone is staying till 3am and some people until 8am" is gonna be this Monday because there's another bug in something that makes some client money.

Does it have to be everybody on Monday for a good reason? Why not get some of the work done over the weekend? Do you get overtime or some sort of compensation? Is there an on call rotation or is this expected to be a normal work hours only kind of job?

To answer your question, being asked/told to pull an all nighter around once every two weeks sounds like a lot to me. Ignoring how irritating it is, it's not a terribly efficient way to work. Emergencies are emergencies, but if they keep happening then something is wrong.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

HondaCivet posted:

How does relocation assistance usually work anyway? Do they just give you a bonus at the end of the year? Do they give you the money right away? Do they actually help you find movers and apartments? I realize that it varies but I was wondering what were the most common kinds.

Most places I've heard of that regularly do relocation give you the option of either a lump sum in your first paycheck (maybe before relocation?) or hire a relocation specialist that will help you schedule movers, planes, hotels, apartment hunting, etc.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

To be fair I made my cross-country move a fair bit later in my career, with larger salary demands than a fresh grad.

Relocation floated like a lead balloon.

(also the bubble has made everything insanely hot. I've heard people NOT relocating talk about signing bonuses again, like it's 2001)

What would not relocating have to do with a signing bonus? Have somebody local that you want to hire? Try to lure them for a small raise and a big signing bonus. I know a number of people that have jumped on that.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

shrughes posted:

edit: wait: is it that DAT NIGGA HOW == How!!???
I'm fairly certain that I've thought that before. Either way, it is a person with some bad opinions.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I will not be taking any formatting advice from the person that made this image.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

HondaCivet posted:

So I've been trying to change jobs for the past few months. I met someone who turned out to be a manager at a place in town that I think is awesome (interesting work and good culture fit for me). He didn't have any openings but the corporate office is trying to add a team here and I ended up sounding like a good fit for that. I had a video interview with the corporate guy and everything and he said he wanted to move forward with me. However I have no idea how long this whole thing will take since it sounds like the positions and such haven't been OKed by HR or anything yet. The local manager who likes me is trying to help but all he can really do is prod them for updates.

Anyone else been put in a position like this before? I guess I'm wondering if I'm supposed to just wait or if it's OK for me to keep applying to other jobs. It's not like they can stop me of course but I'm wondering if it'd be unexpected or rude or something.

You do not yet have your new job. It sounds like they do want to hire you when they are able, but unless you are getting paid you have no obligation to them. If your position never materializes for whatever reason, you don't want to be left out in the cold.

If you want to leave your current job, keep applying to new jobs. If you get an offer your interested in, you can use it as leverage against your new job ("I really want to work for you, but this other place is actually offering me a real job...").

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Don't lie about your salary or other information that could be easily verified with a background check. Yes, a lot of people do lie and have no problems, but there's plenty of better ways to deal with the situation.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

baquerd posted:

Are write-ups really a thing? I haven't heard of them since I worked fast food in my teens.

I don't think I've heard of something officially called a "write-up" in 10 years, but any (moderately organized) company is going to keep pretty meticulous records on you, including any policy violations or disciplinary action taken.

Whether or not a company would share that information with somebody calling in for a background check type situation, I do not know. I would assume not.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

bonds0097 posted:

MS gives everyone an office. I thought that had been the case for quite a few years now.

Largely, but Microsoft is a big company. Different groups/buildings do different things. I believe the buildings in downtown Bellevue are mostly cubes and/or open. I think the newer studio buildings on West campus may be some type of cube type deal as well, but I'm not sure.

tk fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 27, 2013

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

I have very little experience with Linux but I'm finding a lot of jobs I'm interested in list "Must be proficient in developing in a Linux environment." Is this always a deal-breaker, or will it depend on the company? What can I do to get "proficient"?

Mostly web, some systems and mobile listings. The jobs in question have the typical laundry list of tech requirements. For example:

I've worked with more than half of these between school and my current position. I generally get discouraged by these since it'll be my first(ish) programming job but this company looked pretty interesting. The only experience I have with Linux is deploying to AWS. Lately I've been doing mostly Android (on Windows) and other Windows web stuff but it's loving boring and I'm looking for a change.
That's a pretty open-ended job posting. Just apply, don't lie about your experience, and let them reject you if they want. My guess is they just need somebody who isn't terrified SSHing into a machine and getting stuff done via the command prompt (getting around, basic file management & editing).

Edit:

baquerd posted:

That job description has a weird laundry list of technologies, it almost sounds like it's for a devops type role supporting lots of other projects and doing the work no one wants to do but I'm probably reading too much into it.
Could be a devops thing, but it's hard to tell without context. They could just be looking for something with pretty much any experience that they can mold to suit their needs, or at a larger company they may just be looking for a generic dev that they can put in whatever role is appropriate.

tk fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 1, 2014

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Gary the Llama posted:

Yeah, I figured that was the case. But do people seriously like that keyboard? I never see anyone using a Mac without that keyboard.
I got used to using one on my old MacBook, so I didn't have any complaints when I started using one with my iMac. I got back on regular keyboards though and can no longer stand the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

Cool. Yeah I started to throw an app together when I got back home after I landed. I'll finish it today.

E: I actually got an email from the owner explaining that he looked over what I had written and really liked the direction I was going in with it and that we were on the same page w/r/t architecture and design. I replied back asking if he wanted me to finish one for him and he just got back to me and said there was no need, he understood exactly what I was going to do and that it was a good enough sample.

Do I write him one anyway? I mean, I'm probably going to bang one out just for kicks, but should I send him a link to the repository?

I would not. You asked, and he said no. It's doubtful that you'll send him something so amazing that it will blow his mind and change a "no hire" to a "hire".

Also, I personally find it annoying when fresh hires are so eager to impress that they ignore basic instruction/advice.