Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Unrelated question: when is it time to take the lame non-career jobs I've had off my resume? I'm not sure that that fact that I worked for three months at a bank filing things and at a call center for the better part of a year is really the most salient thing about my candidacy (and frankly I think they may actually reflect poorly on me).
Those are probably only useful if they fill in significant employment gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

a slime posted:

Google internships are off the chain crazy. Between housing, travel, and stipend, the total compensation for 12 weeks of work is in the neighborhood of 45,000 USD. How does that even loving make sense

College recruiting for tech companies is extremely competitive. For various reasons, all the big companies know they want as much of the best talent out of college as possible. Internships, for Google et al., have two main purposes.

One is to evaluate the interns that you have to see if you can turn them into full time employees.

The other, probably more important, is to impress the pants off the interns so that they want to return to your company as a full time employee, and so that they go back and tell everybody how awesome it was so that they want to go there for a job/internship too.

Any actual production you get out of an intern is just icing on the cake.

tk fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 20, 2014

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Tunga posted:

I have a technical exercise to do this weekend for a role that I'm somewhat interested in but not totally convinced about. It's Xamarin for Android and apparently will start out as a desktop C# role and then shift into Android after a month or to, which is a good match for my experience since I used to do desktop C# and now do Android. But it isn't really where I want to head because I moved into Android for a reason and even though I really love C# as a language I'd much prefer to just work in Java when it comes to Android. I feel like those multiplatform framework things are just an awkward way to shoehorn language onto inappropriate platforms so that lazy developers who can't shift between languages don't have to feel like terrible people even hough Java and C# are actually really very similar anyway.
As far as weird multiplatform solutions, I tend to agree, but you're also never going to find out any more information to swing you one way or the other if you don't proceed. It might be interesting to talk to the current devs about the situation.

quote:

Anyway, before I've even been for an interview they asked me for my current salary and my expectations. I didn't answer it, and I'm happy to put them off, but it really gave me a bad feeling about the whole thing. All I've had is a ten minute chat with their internal recruiter and she already asked me that. Am I being unreasonable?
You really shouldn't let this fact alone put you off the job. It's not a secret that you're going to be working there in exchange for some amount of money. Also, regardless of the fact that at least one person here here is going to quote me and say this is a terrible idea, you can potentially save yourself some time and stress by offering up a well-informed number for your expectation.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Flashing Twelve posted:

Interview tomorrow, dumb question. "We're a jeans and tshirt kind of place, so no need to wear a suit and tie". Does that mean what it says (wear jeans and a tshirt), or would it be better to wear business casual?
I would personally wear decent looking jeans and some type of collared shirt, but anything that doesn't involve a tie/jacket or a painting of a wolf will probably be okay.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

So my first real interview so far asked for my school transcripts. That's kinda weird right? I told them I only kinda hosed around in school for a while so I don't know why they'd want to see them.

I've provided transcripts for background check purposes, but only after receiving an offer.

It does seem strange since they can just ask you about any relevant information, but some places have strange policies. How far through the interview process are you?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

shrughes posted:

It's better than having 20% of the resume saying things about the frat you're in and how awesome it was.

Special Skills
- Dirty frat boy on a dirty soccer team.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

2banks1swap.avi posted:

If you're not a smoker but like to just take a drat walk to break up the time after lunch and before you go home, do most places care?

Even at places that are more strict on working hours, I have never known anywhere to care if you take a short break to clear your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Try working retail or blue collar sometime. Lots of people 'smoke' just to take a minute to get up.

Of course. I meant in the realm of software development.