Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Belgarath posted:

I believe that it is a valid test. It requires that you have some basic knowledge of programming concepts such as if-else conditional logic, looping, basic maths skills and you can output poo poo to a terminal.

If you can't manage FizzBuzz, then you are wasting ours and your time. From our last round of hiring we had one person fail FizzBuzz, which probably just means the recruiter was doing their job right.

This is why we have a second test, which is more complicated, and we found this is were 90% of candidates fell down. It's not an impossible test, by any stretch, but we find it's a pretty decent indicator of how you approach solving a non-trivial problem.

Can you tell us anything about the 2nd test?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Belgarath posted:

Thanks for the explanation, I was just curious. I think it's a great idea.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Helicity posted:

If one candidate goes through a different hiring process and meets fewer people and the rejected candidates hear about it, that can be a problem - this place might be doing legal CYA. Or they might just not have their poo poo together and rigid adherence to process is the only way the wheels turn.

For a first job, suck it up unless you have other offers in hand for places you like better - in which case you'd be rejecting them anyways, right?

This is good advice and is how I would handle it. However you should use their scheduling snafu to ask some questions regarding their interview process, it will give you some insight as to how they treat prospects and employees. You probably can't ask too many questions.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

huhu posted:

Would you like to have him as a boss? No? Red flag dodged. (If you answered yes, what is wrong with you?)

100% agree - if he is that way in an interview with people he doesn't know imagine how he treats subordinates.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

sterster posted:

To be fair, the rest of the interview was more relaxed and he did not continue the behavior. I think he was just really intent on listening but he was just holding himself that way.

That's good to hear, either way good luck.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Joda posted:

Yeah, not every weird interview is some master manipulator poo poo. Some people are just bad at people, or inexperienced

The problem here seems to be this guy, if I remember correctly they made sterster come back for a 2nd interview with this guy only because he wasn't available during the 1st interview, contrary to the original plan. Hanlon's razor be damned, as a Director of Engineering he sounds like a piece of work

Private Speech posted:

Bad at people managers are bad managers though

Seeing as it's (supposed to be) their job

I 100% agree.

I meant what I said sterster, good luck. Hopefully this all turns out to be nothing and you get the offer you are looking for.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
That's great! Congratulations

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004
My job titles have had as much to do with my responsibilities as does saying I speak English describes my specific vocabulary.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

Wanting "passionate" people who code in their free time usually leads to wanting people who will code for you in their free time. The person who codes for fun won't mind working weekends, they are already coding! It's a huge work life balance red flag for me.

It's a huge work life balance red flag for me.

How big of a red flag? Would it alone exclude a prospective hire? Or, would you look for other 'red flags'? I'm asking because even though I code when I'm not 'working' it is for me, not for work. Take, for example, a landscaper that mows his own lawn - using your logic they should not be hired by any landscaping company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm not saying that someone coding in their free time is a red flag (I have done it myself on occasion), I'm saying that employers specifically looking for people who code in their free time is a red flag.

As an interviewer I don't care much about what you do in your free time, if anything I would have a preference for people who have other hobbies because I think they are less likely to burn out over the long haul, but what you do in your free time isn't any of my business so I'm not going to ask you about it

That makes sense, I misread your post.