Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

shrughes posted:

More like,

Don't Wear Suit, Underdressed: The employer sucks, good thing you dodged a bullet there.

rolleyes-vomiting-rolleyes.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

How is this set up? Do the candidates have to provide their own camera?

You can go to places like Kinko's/FedexOffice for rented videoconference rooms.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Why would you use LINQ to answer that question?

Usually the point is "without <language>'s built-in method for reversing things what would be a simple way of doing this task?"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

- design patterns (know at least 2 or 3 and be able to explain what they are and when they're applicable)

And don't be surprised if you hear "except singleton" for the design patterns question

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

It depends on the level of cert. Microsoft's certs are pretty good, especially as you get higher up. Basically, a guy who's an MCPD is probably pretty good, or at the very least, not a total moron.

Or can afford the tests and knows how to use google to find the answers.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Orzo posted:

...or they just want a few months off. There's nothing wrong with taking time off for personal reasons, travel, leisure, etc. You don't need to be 'retarded' to want to have a summer off after working hard for a few years.

Maybe it's just my experience but most places (I've seen) will let you take a leave of absence to do this, you don't have to straight up quit. We've had several folks do this.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

baquerd posted:

On a strictly financial level, don't take a break.

Yes, but on a strictly financial level, always take the job with higher pay and less vacation and more total compensation and also work multiple jobs and live in the cheapest housing possible and ...

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Any answer other than Timsort is an automatic reject, handshake, here's the door.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dire Penguin posted:

It probably varies too much by the company for this question to be worth much, but I'll ask anyway. For a first job, assuming two roughly equal positions, would I be better off looking at a small company or a large one?

Depends on what you're looking for.

A larger company will typically be more stable and might be able to provide you more flexibility in where you go after that initial position.

A smaller company might be a little riskier but it might allow you to stand out more amongst your peers and get noticed.

Just "size" (whether it be headcount or revenue) doesn't really say much about a company that makes it a better place to work than another company.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The thing is, "Engineer" in a job title is a thing that usually comes with a certification from the NCEES and you get to be considered a certified PE (Professional Engineer). Like 95% of other job titles with Engineer in them have some sort of certification that they have to achieve. Software guys don't, and just kind of started attributing themselves the title of Engineers.

The NCEES just recently started licensing Software Engineers, though I don't know how good this is or if it's useful or meaningful, it's just "something" right now.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

If anyone is 10 years out of college and still lists their GPA on their resume, I'd ask why the hell they're doing so.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

To me it'd be like putting down what clubs you were in during college. While it's nice when you're just getting out of school to show your involvement, it's largely irrelevant once you reach a certain point. Your actual work in the industry at that point is a better indicator of what you are capable of. If you're including it and it's good I'd wonder if it's because you're trying to cover for a shortcoming somewhere else. If you're including it and it's bad well then you're stupid.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Orzo posted:

Just because you say this, or want this to be true, doesn't make it so. I mean, are you really trying to speak for every company here?

Why do you think someone's ability to do college-level work 10-13 years ago is relevant to someone who would be looking for a non-junior level position? Even if it's at an elite school, I still don't see it being nearly as relevant as your professional experience (then combined with any screening you'd have to do as part of the interview process).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fiend posted:

I had a phone interview with a hiring manager for a job that required C# experience, but they weren't aware of the subtle differences between C and C#. They sent me an example in C to talk about, became annoyed when I told them they sent me a sample in C and not C#, told me to 'just pretend the code sample is in C#', then became irate when I asked what 'stdout' meant.

"Okay, sorry for the confusion, thanks for your time."

You're done there, do not pursue.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

shrughes posted:

SMTP.

with failover to POTS

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Roloc posted:

Ok well after applying to 3 different companies and getting 3 offers I finally decided on one yesterday. Even though I was lurking a bit this thread really motivated me so first off thank you.

Secondly I took to the internet and wrote a fairly large post essentially about making programmers write code on the board and what you miss by using that as your test to see if coders can perform.

http://www.lonestarprod.com/?p=22

I thought you all might have some feedback or at least tell me I am full of poo poo.

It may not provide much use to the people who are actually going through these terrible interview processes but maybe when they are managers themselves they can apply what I think is a better solution.

The reason you have candidates write code in front of you is not (just) to make you perform under pressure, it's to see your thought process. It's okay if you're questioning yourself as you're doing stuff, and in fact, it's often a good thing.

The problem with your proposed solution (overnight coding problem followed by code review) is that you miss this process, and of course the more obvious problem that folks can "game it" to an extent, by having outside help and coaching.

To address the things you say live coding tests accomplish:

quote:

It tests how nervous the person gets when asked to “perform” on the spot for a total stranger.
Yeah, a little bit I suppose. If someone really lets you flounder and sweat up there then perhaps they want to see how you do under pressure (for whatever reason). Usually when I'm evaluating I let people know that they can relax (as best I can convince someone of that).

quote:

It shows you if they have good hand writing.
Unless it's completely illegible, this is a non-factor.

quote:

Generally shows the person knows what the structure of one simple function looks like and if they can write a loop.
Coding tests shouldn't just stop there, hopefully. If nothing else, you can verbalize where this function would fit in a larger context.

quote:

Are they good at writing code on the whiteboard/napkin/paper.
It's not just about writing code on the whiteboard, it's about presenting your ideas to your peers in a semi-informal fashion. I would like to hire people who can do this so that I can have collaborative teams.

That said, I don't think there's any reason to not do the code review idea you've presented. But I would still contend that there is value in the live coding test as well.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cicero posted:

Gonna have to disagree here. I would say "I don't know", and then go on with whatever you DO know on the subject, even if it's not a lot, and also say how you would go about figuring it out.

Yeah always say how you would figure it out, since most employers don't want folks who will just throw their hands up when faced with a new problem they don't know the answer to. Even if that amounts to "I'd search for resources on <topic>" though it's preferable if you have something more specific and technical.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

NotHet posted:

I've done a first phone interview with a company and I'm feeling extremely stressed about the process. I'd like to both vent and compare experiences with people.

I'm a recent graduate with an internship in the field that this company specializes in. I've never had a 'real' job interview before, just college jobs and the internship.

Their interview process seems like a gauntlet, and like I said is stressing me the gently caress out
  • Phone interview. Mostly about my resume, where I am and what I've done. Completed.
  • Online programming challenge. I expect this to be a weeder, but they say it will take an hour. Needs to be perfect
  • Phone interview with a team member. Covering CS fundamentals, probably 2 hours.
  • Online algoritms challenge. It will apparently take 6 hours. I'll be given a test case to solve, and it needs to work acceptably on 31 unknown test cases. I've done ACM's ICPC a bunch of times so this isn't super unfamiliar. Will be graded pass/fail
  • Phone interview again. Discuss my previous quiz
  • Fly onsite
  • Give a off the cuff 10 minute presentation about a CS topic they chose to a panel of experts with management present, followed by Q/A session
  • 1:1 interviews with entire team. This will take an entire day.
How common is this rigor? 3 phone interviews, 2 timed challenges, a presentation to see how I cope with pressure, and like 10 face to face interviews.
I believe I can successfully do everything they ask of me, and I want the job, but jesus christ.
It's not the most rigorous I've heard of but that's pretty rigorous, definitely well above-average in industry.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

The HR person should ever only be in 2 interviews. The first one to make sure you're not a putz and the first or last person to interview you onsite to try and get you to take $20k for the job.

Yup. They're not expected to make technical talent evaluations for the most part so them being involved in them is pretty stupid.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

From my experience, if they don't get back to you with ~1 week or so it's because you're not their first choice and they're waiting on their first choice to decide before moving on to the next candidate.

They generally know when you're a "no hire" so if there is a delay it's because you're a possible "hire" just not the best "hire" They also know when you're an "immediate hire" since if they don't get back to you within a couple of days you may be gone.
Having been involved in a fair number of these decisions as well, this is my experience also.

Then again,

Ithaqua posted:

I've never once gotten a call back from a place that didn't like me to say "we didn't like you".

we've sometimes passed off candidates that we didn't use to other partners who may not be as choosy. Though I don't know that it's ever actually resulted in a hire or not to be honest.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ironsights posted:

Craigslist is a wonderful place to look for jobs sometimes

I would apply to that just to find out what they actually need.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Holy poo poo maybe I don't want to go into software development.

On the flipside, I live in a very cheap market and we hire folks out of college making well over twice what the folks above were talking about. Granted, we're fairly picky but it's not impossible.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cicero posted:

Personally, I don't think it counts as very good experience, because dealing with bad code is not a very useful skill in real work environments. In the real world, all code is designed as part of a brilliantly elegant architecture, with sensible, consistently-followed style guidelines. Code cruft and technical debt are non-existent, and everyone in the office gets along spendidly and sings Kumbaya every morning at stand up.

I almost kneejerk responded to this post after the first sentence. Thankfully I kept reading. :golfclap:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lenin Stimpy posted:

If you're applying for a company like apple or microsoft, an open source resume can hurt you quite a bit. They're really picky about hiring people that contribute to GPL'd code (due to legal fears).

Uhhh, where did you hear this? Sounds incredibly bogus considering both companies do contribute to open source projects.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

how!! posted:

I solve complex problems by finding an already existing solution, and leveraging that. If a company wants to call that "plagiarism", then gently caress 'em.

Congratulations, you can almost compete with every offshore outsourced resource out there.

There's money to be made doing this, but don't expect it to be lucrative.

Also if your business isn't solving any new problems at all, chances are they aren't a great business.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

To be honest it sounded like other than a bit of bitterness toward the process, you did fine. If he was insisting that you get the "right" answer, then that's stupid, but pushing for optimizations or alternate implementations is not uncommon and the motivating factor is to see how you can adapt to try and see your critical thinking process.

The naive solution at first is fine, and if you suggested it immediately that's fine.

Then adapting using the sorted list is good as well, shows that you realize that you don't want to have to check everything every time.

You aren't expected to really be able to fully write algorithms over the phone. Just display critical thinking about the relevant properties of a problem given a set of requirements. You did do a fair amount of that quite successfully. And yes, the problems are fabricated and generic for a reason and there's often better knobs to turn than the arbitrary ones you're constrained by, but for the sake of simplicity and to probe for problem solving approaches they're what you have to deal with.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pweller posted:

The whole point is that the solution itself doesn't even matter at all so long as you explain what you're thinking along the way and don't give up until the interviewer is satisfied.

Though of note: sometimes interviewers intentionally say inaccurate things and want you to catch them. I don't love it when they do it, and I don't do it personally in my interviews, but it is A Thing, and I've had to deal with it myself.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

how!! posted:

I was once asked in another interview how database indexes work. I answered "thats how you speed up queries. You add an index to a column that you query against and it makes selecting against that column much faster. The trade-off is that is slows down writes". The interviewer then asked me how they are implemented. I said "low level computer sciency stuff, linked lists and big O trees and crap, idk" (in other words, "don't know don't care"). He then proceeded to practically lecture me (in a respectful way) on how important it is to understand stuff from a low level. I fundamentally disagree with this sentiment.

Well this isn't going to win you any favor with interviewers (nor will it help your career).

Nobody's expecting you to write your own database, but understanding the mechanics behind them and the consequences of your actions allows you to make better decisions. Willful ignorance isn't a sought-after quality.

how!! posted:

Why does that matter? How does "showing your thinking process" solve business problems? In the real world, solutions matter, not thinking processes.
And, as you've pointed out, in an interview you're not solving a real world problem, so the solution is NOT the end-game.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

how!! posted:

Developer A know the ins and outs of Django's ORM. If Django's ORM can do it, he knows how. Developer A has absolutely no idea how the internals of Django's ORM works. All he knows is you construct the query object, cast it to a list, and then magic happens.

Developer B knows everything there is to know about linked lists and big O and B+ trees, but knows nothing about the Django ORM.

Which developer would you rather hire to be on your Django development team?

If Developer A continues to refuse to look under the hood of any other technology, then Developer B.

Disclosure: I do consulting work, so "knows the specific topic inside and out" is naturally not a hard requirement to me while "can quickly learn things" is far more desirable.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah we've straight up declined candidates who while they had the right technical chops, were very laissez-faire about the whole thing.

So, in addition to the formalities like shaking hands and dressing nicely, if you're being asked to present something on a whiteboard, don't sit in a chair and kick back and just motion in the general direction of the board. Stand up and talk to your audience as if you were, you know, doing it for a job.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

gucci void main posted:

Offer in

$45k, 15 paid vacation days, 5 sick days, no health insurance.

Get hosed

My god, that's terrible even in the cheapest of living environments. It's borderline insulting.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sutureself posted:

I know the "how much are you looking to make" question has been covered, but what about the "what did you make at your last job?" part?
I would tell them it's none of their business (nicely). If my current job and compensation were adequate I wouldn't look for another job, so...

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

wide stance posted:

It's a C# position for an enterprise firm in a semi-ideal location. I don't think I want to go down the Microsoft path. Ideally I'd like to work at a small tech company in a major city (Chicago for instance). However,

1. Been unemployed for 2.5 months now. Have savings for about two years of cushion, mainly worried about the unemployment gap.
2. Don't have a CS degree, but do have a BS.
3. This will be a career change
4. Resume is already littered with 1-3 year stints. I'm not sure how bad this looks already.
5. Haven't worked on any open-source projects. Not sure if I'll even want to while working full-time.

You're not locked into one technology stack even if you're only professionally doing that one. It does make it more difficult to find things that have requirements of "N years experience in <other stack>" later on, but there you go.

2. What do you have a degree in? MIS?
3. Is it a change in that it's now development where you weren't doing development before? Is that the path you want to take?
4. How littered? If it's more than 2 or 3, that could start to look a little dicey but I don't know that it really gets all that much attention. If it were 3-6 month stints or less, that'd be a different story.
5. This won't necessarily be a barrier to hiring, if you're worried about that. The latter point may be true, though if you want to work in a different technology than your job allows, this is a good way to do so. There is a bit of "I already do this all day professionally" that can make side-development a turnoff, but if you find an itch you really want to scratch you'll do it :)

It kind of all hinges on what you've done and where you want to go. If this is your first development gig and it'd be an entry-level role then don't sweat too much about being locked in. It'll either pan out to be awesome or it can be a stepping stone to a better role (you get experience to build your resume, you learn some things, you meet people in the dev community, etc.)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

meatier shower posted:

I just graduated last month from a tiny private liberal arts school in Texas with a BA in Computer Science and moved back to the Baltimore area to live at home and save some money. I just got my first offer back and I told them that I needed a few weeks to consider it before I come onboard. It's a mobile development position with a small virtual company, so I'd be exclusively telecommuting. They offered me 52K with two weeks paid vacation and health benefits, as well as a signing bonus so I can buy a new laptop. I mentioned that I was interested in trying coworking and they mentioned being able to pay for that as well. Am I getting a bad deal? People are mentioning much higher starting salaries in the thread, but Baltimore isn't exactly NYC or the Bay Area, and I really like the idea of working for a smaller company, particularly after a bad internship experience with a well-known consulting firm in DC.

It's certainly on the low end, though what kind of mobile development are you talking about? That's a pretty non-specific job description. Also it depends on what other benefits and such make up your total compensation (you mentioned health and vacation, but are there other bonuses/profit sharing/retirement matches/etc.). I imagine they can get away with paying a little less by offering positions that are exclusively telecommute.

I also graduated with a Comp Sci degree from a tiny private liberal arts school in Texas, and my entry-level salary over half a decade ago was about 20% higher than that in Houston, which isn't a very expensive place to live either (it appears to be cheaper by the online things I've checked). But it was also not telecommute (and in fact, involved a non-zero percentage of travel), so that factored in.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

If you ask about 401k contributions, make sure you find out how long it takes them to vest. If it's like 5 years it doesn't really count as a benefit.

The gently caress? There are companies that put vesting schedules on 401(k) matches? That sounds questionable at best.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

The example I used was from personal experience. And yeah, it's bullshit and just another way for a company to screw over employees.

vvv Oh and we had to wait 6 months to start ours. That was formal policy.

Sab669 posted:

I haven't asked my boss how long it takes to be fully vested, but after three months of employment my discussion when like this:

Me: Hey boss, I'd like to start paying into my retirement account.
Boss: Well, usually we wait until 1 year of employment. But OK I guess.

I can understand a waiting period before matches start if turnover is a concern, but starting a match that you have to vest into over a period of years is stupid as hell.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Depends on your personal needs, but Company A sounds good to me. Though I've been annoyed in the past with teams I didn't work well with, so similarly compensated I would choose the better workmates almost always. Though you can't really know that from an onsite visit or two, so consider that.

Other things to consider which you didn't list are things like performance management (how do they do employee evaluations, what's the career path like, will I be stuck in a position forever), and the fiscal footings of the companies themselves. Are the companies growing steadily? Are they startups that only have funding through a specific amount? Are there things like profit sharing? Other things that can add up and can tip the balances one way or another. You do seem to have done a fair bit of homework (especially for a fresh graduate), so even without these I'd say you've done pretty well at narrowing your choices.

lmao zebong posted:

Another issue I'm struggling with is telling a company that I want to turn down their offer. I do understand this is a business and a huge career decision, but I felt like I got along so well with both companies it is going to be hard or awkward calling and saying I don't want to accept. Any advice on how to effectively phrase it so that I don't burn any bridges?
Don't think of it as turning down their offer, think of it as taking a better offer. In fact, don't be surprised if you get a counter-offer when you do notify them you have a better offer. Be prepared to consider that as well, since it can change the game. That said, I would do this before formally accepting the offer you want, as long as it's a secure offer that won't expire while you're doing this negotiation bit. Most offers should have a date of expiry on them, but just make sure yours do if you're going to go the route I mention.

It's still rough to tell them "thanks but no thanks", but as long as you're not combative about it, nothing should be held against you. As you said, it is business after all.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Honestly, anything. As far as a I know ASP.net isn't used a lot, so I'm thinking I should expand into something else.
It's used plenty, just not in sexy popular projects or a lot of open source stuff. More enterprisey stuff.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Rello posted:

Did you even read his post?

WARNING: THE PROGRAMMING INTERVIEW ADVICE CONTAINED HEREIN WILL NOT LIKELY GET YOU HIRED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

how!! posted:

The first sentence reads like he is interviewing people, and has never interviewed a developer before.

So no.