Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey Goons, I've been having trouble breaking into the field or programming / website programming.

Anyone think you could let me know what I'm missing (besides a degree)?

Here's my portfolio:

quote:

Web Portfolio:
http://www.pluswebhost.com/
Designed everything, programmed all but billing area.

http://www.davisopticalinc.com/
Designed, and currently host this website for local client.

http://www. thetordb.com
This website is a work in progress; here's a relatively completed page:
code:
http://www.thetordb.com/NPC/For'Sen_Lorme
(copy paste, not ready for bots). Programmed website in PHP, programmed full-text database search (AJAX), programmed cookie based login system (AJAX), programmed page edit system Wiki style (AJAX). Programmed comment system (AJAX). jQuery was the only framework used.

http://www.sierramoonartwork.com/
Designed, and currently host this website for a local client.

http://www.pluswebhost.com/calc/calc2.html (not the client's website)
Programmed the AJAX calculator with Google Maps integration to calculate distance between two points. Designed this calculator per client specs.

All of my work has been either contractual or personal.

Software Portfolio:
http://codepad.org/2oWQIQD3
http://codepad.org/BlwTf5f8

Resume:
http://imgur.com/9PCCH

Please note that the C++ code above doesn't have the best programming practices (vars a b c etc), but my C#.NET program has better practices (string thisIsAString, etc.)

I'm having problems even getting an interview (looking both in and outside my current city), so any help would be appreciated!

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Strong Sauce posted:

What kind of jobs are you applying to?

Pretty much everything under the sun besides simple 'web design' titles when it comes to development. Web programmer, software engineer, software programmer, etc. While I have a decent amount of experience (especially on the web programming side, which I've been doing on a business/personal basis since 1998), I've been completely unable to actually land a job doing any of it.

Strong Sauce posted:

Edit:
Just at a quick glance, your entire resume needs to be reorganized and restructured. Particularly, "advanced loops", "logical solutions to problems" are kind of bullshit bullet points and some of those programming skills are not programming skills at all, and are just basic skills. Also your 2nd bullet point under your experience, "Protected code and forms... Not a single attack " sounds really weird. What is wrong with just writing, "Protected sites from malicious attacks such as SQL Inject, XSS vulnerabilities..." etc.

Thanks I'll make some changes. I was using lots of resume writing tips from around the internet. Resume services are expensive for my wife and I at this point in time.

Least of all there's no mention of any algorithms classes you took. Any decent software company (aka the one's you actually want to work for) are going to be looking for some general understanding of algorithms and data structures.

As far as algorithms go, I'm not extremely knowledgeable on the subject. I've taken some college math classes (and did very well) but that's about the extent of my algorithm knowledge.

Also, writing 2 Project Euler programs in C doesn't really demonstrate that you can do actual work in C. I can probably do those examples in any programming language, but that doesn't really show or represent that I'm proficient in C. I suppose it "proves" that you can program but no one knows if you just copy and pasted that code.

I haven't actually used this in any portfolio or resume I've sent out, so this reaffirms my decision. C# is definitely my most knowledgeable programming language thus far, as I have a 2,000+ line application (I know this doesn't mean a whole lot) written in C# that runs wonderfully.

And I think nearly all companies now use some form of version control. What do you use for your sites?

Unfortunately I have absolutely no knowledge of version control.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out. It looks like I should improve my algorithm knowledge (does anyone have any resources?), start using version control, and clean up my resume. Any other tips?

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 9, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ithaqua posted:

I haven't done C since college, but I'd take one look at those and go "Great, he can write unreadable code with useless variable names" and pass.

[edit]
Sorry if that came off as mean! I'm just big on readable code with good, descriptive variable names. I get a kneejerk "gently caress this code" reaction any time I see variables named a, b, and c.

I can take mean if it's constructive. Project Euler was pretty much my reintroduction to C++, and I've since moved to much more readable code (thanks to a link here on better programming habits).

Edit: Example of some c# code I've just written up: http://pastebin.com/w0Y0yfu7

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 8, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

oRenj9 posted:

Just a few things:

Try to avoid negating names, this is more difficult to read than the alternative.

You're using
pre:
!notAPrime
in nearly all of your logic statements, which means that you are really just looking for the opposite of not a prime, which is a prime.

Think long and hard about the logic in this statement. The last part of the statement is completely useless. i is initialized to 2 and is never decremented.

Regarding your resume:

What do you mean by "next-generation" database solutions?
WTF is an "advanced loop"?

Interesting about the notAPrime vs prime. I will try not to use negated variable names in the future. The i != 0 part was from an earlier iteration of the code (which is why I really made i=2 instead of 0), I actually meant to take that out but kept forgetting.

Re: resume - I suppose I was just trying a bit too hard there. The resume is actually about a month old so I will be going over it and correcting it per everyone's comments. Hopefully it will be enough to land me a (probably entry-level) job so I can use a resume writing service next time ;).

E: I'm not sure why i would be decremented though. It's used as a number to factor the long number. Decrementing anywhere would just lead to repetitiveness. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Nippashish posted:

I'm really loving // numberToWorkWith should equal 2 to save cycles. If you're going to loop up to 100000 the most important optimization is definitely starting at 2 so you only loop 99999 times to save cycles.

So this post isn't completely useless: your comments are not very clear, for instance these comments

don't actually explain anything. Use i for what calculations? What work are you going to do with these vars? What is numberToWorkWith used for?

The most useful comment in your code is this one:

Thank you :). This is actually the first input I've gotten on some of my code, and it's extremely helpful. For me it's kind of like how often we miss errors while proof reading our own work that others catch.

Contra Duck posted:

You can assume the people reading your code are other developers who know the syntax and standard idioms of the language. Comments like these:

Are completely unnecessary and only serve to clutter up the code and make it more difficult to read.

Thanks I'll remember this. I thought it was standard programming practice to add stuff like this :v:.

Thank you for this. I will be signing up.

Once again I appreciate the help. You guys are awesome. I'm very eager to make a career out of this, and stuff like this will greatly help.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 9, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dancavallaro posted:

This, combined with the fact that you've never used version control, tells me that you need to spend some time learning about the various tools and technologies out there. I'm not saying you have to hop on every bandwagon that comes along and learn the hottest new Ruby framework and NoSQL flavor of the day, but it really looks like you need to get out of your PHP/MySQL cave and learn what else is out there.

Want to develop a website in PHP? Check out CodeIgniter or Symfony. Full-text search? Check out Lucene. Cookie-based login system? Yeah, just use your framework for that.

Seriously, getting stuff like that right is hard, and there's no reason not to use existing solutions that have already been tested. I registered a few accounts all with the same password, and they all had the same PWTHETORDB value in the cookie. At 40 bytes it's probably SHA-1, but it looks like you're probably salting the passwords with a common salt. But that doesn't really matter, because I can keep trying account names by changing THETORDB in the cookie until I run across one that uses the same password as my original account, and now I'm logged in as them.

Interesting, I had thought I covered most of the cookie security but hadn't even thought of a vulnerability like that...
code:
$sti = 'SALT';
$salt = md5($sti);
$password = mysql_real_escape_string(stripslashes($_POST['password']));
$password_array = str_split($password, 2);
$hash = sha1($password_array[0] . $salt . $password_array[1]);
$username = mysql_real_escape_string(stripslashes($_POST['username']));
$email = mysql_real_escape_string(stripslashes($_POST['email']));
The website will never go live (I've only opened it to use on my portfolio) so I suppose my methodology doesn't matter. I had only really thought of making sure it would make a rainbow table attack difficult.

I've heard of many of the things you've mentioned above (CodeIgniter, etc) but never really looked into them. I was thinking there would be more prestige in coding completely from scratch. Suppose I learn the tools above and create a useful new website using CodeIgniter and Lucene, would this help my career outlook at all? Are these tools an IDE like Visual Studio? Or is it more like Wordpress? Thanks for the help :) .

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 9, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dancavallaro posted:

That's even worse than I thought; that means that I only need to find a username where the password matches just the first 4 characters(!!!!!) of mine in order to log in as them. Seriously, you should use a framework for stuff like this, there is no glory in reinventing cookie-based auth yourself, even if you get it right, which you won't.

I'll give you some more comments in a bit.

Hm so why is this so? Is there a name for this attack so I could do some research? I really like this kind of stuff. Thanks again.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

hieronymus posted:

Here is the problem:
code:
$password_array = str_split($password, 2);
$hash = sha1($password_array[0] . $salt . $password_array[1]);
The problem is str_split($password, 2)...

Say password is 'hello_world'.

Resulting data is:
$password[0] = he
$password[1] = ll
$password[2] = o_
$password[3] = wo
$password[4] = rl
$password[5] = d

$hash = sha1("he" . $salt . "ll")... You're throwing away the rest of the password.

Thanks. I was under the impression (at least at the time) that str_split would split the password into 2 roughly equal parts. Lesson learned to read documentation next time :v:.

code:
$sti = 'SALT';
$salt = md5($sti);
$hash = sha1($salt . $password);
Anyway I've signed up for that Stanford algorithm class. My math is a bit rusty and the class looks like it will be tough at my current skill level. It looks like it will definitely help hone my skills.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 10, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dancavallaro posted:

That's still terrible, because you're still using the same salt all the time.

quote:

$saltSeed = mt_rand();
$salt = md5($saltSeed);
$hash = sha1($salt . $password);

Would need to store the $saltSeed var into the database for login. If the site were to become very popular, and registration rate was great, there would be overlaps for the salt. I'm not sure how much of a security flaw this would be in the real world though. The amount of overlap per X users would also be adjustable with mt_getrandmax, or using pretty much any other randomization.

Thanks again for the help, I may use this form in the future so it was prudent to tighten up the security.

E^ Or even better.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 11, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

dancavallaro posted:

This is still wrong, because you're still putting the user's password hash in the cookie to be used for auth. This is really no better than putting the plaintext password in the cookie -- if I am able to intercept a user's hash from their cookie, sure I can't use it to log in using the login form, but I can just as easily use it to get a session as that user by sticking it in the cookie. Intercepting usernames and password hashes from your users' cookies is trivial if your site has any XSS vulnerabilities, which is another reason you should be using a good framework which will make output escaping trivially easy.

We could go back and forth like this for a loooong time. I'm not trying to make you feel bad -- this stuff is hard, and even people who are really good at this stuff can get it wrong. I hope you're starting to see why it's a terrible idea to try and implement security/crypto-related code yourself.

Ah well oh well, I decided to scrap it because it's a little more complex than I originally thought.

On a good note, I have starting using the CodeIgniter framework per some advice in this thread, and it's pretty nice so far. I haven't had to worry about programming every little detail (although it's a pretty small website) so it's been running pretty smoothly. Here's my first project (which is still a work in progress) using CodeIgniter: http://d3spreadsheet.net/ Once I'm finished styling the site I'll be adding this to my portfolio.

I also restructured my resume per the advice in the thread, and got rid of some fluff (advanced loops, etc). I sent the new resume to DustingDuvet above for a critique so perhaps with his advice I can land an entry level job somewhere in the field :D .

Thanks again Goons, your knowledge has definitely given me some insight.

P.S.: One quick question: when you submit your portfolio do you do this in your cover letter, or do you leave a link in your resume?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey Goons,

Once again I need to solicit your input. I have created a new resume with the help of DustingDuvet, and would like some insider knowledge on whether I can score a position in the field. If not, what else should I be learning?

Thanks again to anyone who can give some input.

P.S.: I'm attaching the code sample as codesample.php and the resume in PDF form

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ithaqua posted:

"Entry level algorithm design"? What's an entry level algorithm?

Also, why do you have "Visual Studio" as a programming skill? And GUI design?
PHP and MySQL are two separate skills.

Also, you have typos. Like the word "processer".

Wow. Can't believe I spelled it wrong, and Word missed it :psyduck:.

- Changed Visual Studio to Windows Forms
- Changed Algorithm Design to MySQL
- Removed MySQL from PHP / MySQL
- Removed GUI Design

I've come to the conclusion that good resumes are tough to make.

Thanks Ithaqua (and again DustingDuvet)

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

pigdog posted:

I think your sites look pretty good. It does look like you know your way around web design and PHP.

Commenting from a user perspective, perhaps try to use less combinations of font and font size on d3spreadsheet.com. When hovering over an item, I could count some 9 or 10 different fonts/font sizes on the screen in cells, headers etc depending on the context, while it would look more professional and comfortable bringing that number down to 4-6.

Looking at the code sample, I can immediately notice the copy-pasting within the SQL. I'm sure it works, which is the most important thing, but for good reasons it would look more professional if you'd find a way to assemble the same SQL string in code without copy-pasting. You should always strive not to copy-paste and write the same thing twice (or maybe twice, but certainly not thrice), as every time you'd need to change that functionality, you'd need to change it in several places. The bigger the codebase, the easier it is to miss some of them and introduce bugs. So even in this case, given that it's the one code sample people will judge your code by, try to remove the copy-paste from within the SQL.

Thanks I've made some changes per your input. It stills needs some work but it is an improvement :) I really appreciate your help.

Re: The SQL too, I'll see what I can do to make it look more professional.

csammis posted:

These aren't interchangable - did you originally mean MySQL when you wrote "entry-level algorithm design"? That'd be misleading as all hell and would hopefully get called out by an interviewer.

I'm far more comfortable with SQL than algorithm design, so I removed algorithm design from my resume, and rearranged my resume a tiny bit. Maybe I'm missing something here but that doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 25, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Would like to thank the Goons in this thread for the resume help. With the help of you guys and DustingDuvet, I've gotten 3 callbacks, and gotten past 1 phone interview which goes to an in person interview Thursday.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey guys, just had a technical skill test, how did I do? :cripes:

Test:
http://i.imgur.com/zzRdv.jpg

8) Difference between logical and syntax error

Answers:
http://pastebin.com/701N6MEj

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ithaqua posted:

I'm going to assume that you've already sent your answers off and this is purely academic, not "help me cheat". I'm not going to comment on the PHP (I know fuckall about PHP) or the HTML / jQuery.

5) That's a terrible schema. You have 3 pieces of data: A student, a semester, and a score. You should have a table defining your student, a table containing your semesters, and a table that contains a student ID, a semester ID, and a score. You need to brush up on the concept of database normalization

9)

Nothing you wrote there answers the question asked. It sounds like you're talking out your rear end, or maybe you're a spambot and the text was randomly generated.

Keep it simple. Explain the purpose (separation of presentation and business logic), and then give a brief explanation of what the model, view, and controller's purposes are.

Thanks. Yes it's purely academic at this point. As far the schema goes, I thought it might be somewhat terrible. Thanks for the link, I will brush up.

The MVC model is a new one for me. It was the most succinct answer I could find with my Google-Fu. I understand what it does now though.

Also the jQuery answer was unfinished.

That's at least 3 out of 15 answers that aren't very good. Luckily I start a contract that may lead to a full time position on Monday.

Thanks Ithaqua.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
E: VVVV

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 6, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ithaqua posted:

You'll probably get better answers here.

Ah yes I guess it relates less to programming. Thanks.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Stoph posted:

I saw this post on Hacker News when it first came out. It's definitely helped shift my views in a good way. This article is a must-read for all of us underpaid software engineers.

I'm a web developer, product uploader, website manager, consultant, and software programmer for a small company; I get paid $12.50 an hour and can't work more than 20 hours a week. Unfortunately my boss literally can't afford to pay me more. I consider it building my resume, and I get to work remotely most days though. However that leads me to my next point...

If I were to make a resume for my skills based on what I've got going here: http://www.pluswebhost.com/portfolio/ What do you Goons think I could be making (average or range)? If I optimized the sample code to reflect my current knowledge? I plan on staying with my current company for at least 6 more months, but I like to have a backup plan in case something goes wrong.

E: no degree, not enough college to mention

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 2, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ithaqua posted:

Your "portfolio" page means nothing. It's screenshots. If an employer cares about a portfolio at all, they want to see code. Put some stuff on github or codeplex. The snippets of code you have a) aren't very good (at least the C# stuff), and B) are hard to read.

C# I'm still pretty new at (roughly 10 months experience), so being a C# programmer may be the least likely position for me to land. Agreed about B though. I'm thinking of just adding a little link with a popup window.

As far as GitHub, one project is proprietary so I may not be able to post that up there. Would projects I post on there need to be perfect? I don't want employers to think I'm better/more knowledgeable than I really am and set expectations too high by re-writing every single line. This is pretty much how my work looks on a deadline at the moment. I'm working on getting better by asking you guys for help in the .Net thread, but after all the input in there I don't know if I'm ready for a truly professional environment as a C# guy yet. Down the line however this is my goal.

I'm currently working on putting in a FAFSA application so I can get some formal comp sci stuff to make me a better programmer, but a decent paying job until I get a degree would be great.

greatZebu posted:

Also the initial landing page doesn't add anything and you seem to have some stray "Testing" text on the page. If you click the "About Me" link, nothing happens (at least in Chrome), so no one is going to contact you that way. I would also recommend cutting down on the exclamation points.

This is now fixed (I was literally writing this part up as I posted this). The portfolio site is still a work in progress, I'm mostly trying to see if it's worth it to try and find a new job in this field if my employer goes under, or if I should just find some crap job, program on the side and work towards my degree. The former would absolutely be the best option though, because I really like doing it.

E: thanks about the exclamations, I cut down on em.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 2, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Mystery Machine posted:

So, I've been having a lot of fun designing a website for someone. I've been using jQuery, which I just taught myself, to do it, and I've made it so that, using some simple scripts, she only needs to upload pictures correctly to her hosting, and the script does everything else for her (details aren't too important).

Anyway, I've found this kind of programming pretty fun. I'm still a student, but I was wondering, what kinds of jobs are out there that involve web scripting? I have a friend who told me it was a pretty dumb idea to want to get into stuff like this. Is that true? I'd love to keep learning more of this stuff, but I want to make sure I'm not learning a skill that could be easily exported out of country, or something.

If by web scripting you mean working with jQuery as a web developer, you can find jobs pretty much exclusively working with jQuery. Straight Javascript is becoming really popular lately too, so I'd guess the outlook is probably pretty good. If you mean something like writing bash scripts, you would probably look into system administration.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Out of curiosity, what is the average job application -> interview -> offer ratio for new grads (anecdotal evidence is fine)? What about if you've got some experience (like mid-level)? Does it take some serious job hunting to land a position, or are companies pretty much tripping over each other to get developers in the door? For the big tech companies like Google/Facebook/Amazon/Microsoft, is a previous internship pretty much required to get a job there? Would it be unwise to try to get in with these companies and stay there for the rest of your career?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

lmao zebong posted:

As a new grad I applied to probably about 30 jobs, did roughly 15 phone interviews, 4 inperson interviews and received two offer sheets. This was during a span of about a month and a half from late December 2012 to the end of January this year. I have no idea if that was more or less than average, almost everyone who I keep in contact with from school seemed to apply to a couple places and then give up and are currently working the jobs they had before graduating.

This was in the Bay Area, which is pretty flush with available development positions. I'm sure it's very different in other areas of the US, but if you have experience and have a halfway decent resume you should be fine at least getting interviews.

Alright that's really good compared to the industry I was working in before (warehouse). I would often call up companies and they would tell me that there were 100 other applicants for the position I was applying for. An interview was probably 1:50 interviews:applications, or even less. That was with 5-6 years in the industry, too. Thanks for the reply.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 25, 2013

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey Goons thanks for all the input regarding resume ratios and internships. You've all motivated me to start throwing my resume out there to try to snag an internship, or maybe even a part-time job while in college. Does anyone mind giving me a quick resume critique?

code:
NAME STUFF
------

Skill Set
	Object Oriented Programming
	.NET framework
	Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
	C# Coding
	Node.js / Javascript
	PHP
	MVC Software Architecture 
	GIT

Relevant Experience

Lockhart Phillips USA (In contract to), March 2012 – Present
Developer
Created software in C# to migrate entire 5,000 page e-commerce website to a new reliable webhost without FTP information.  
Programmed dealer locater in Javascript so customers can find LPUSA product suppliers throughout the world.  
Maintained and improved PHP website to increase the amount of customer revenue coming in through the website.  
Developed new website features as needed.  

PlusWebHost.com (Owner), March 2010 – Present
Owner
Created many hobby projects, including an online spreadsheet written in Javascript and PHP, a website written with Node.js 
/ Javascript reading and parsing JSON API callbacks to display player's items in a video game (work in progress), 
a craps game, and a website data parser that converts specific wanted data into an Excel spreadsheet.

Samples of Expertise
[url]https://github.com/Noppadet/LPMigrate[/url]
[url]http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/[/url] 
[url]https://bitbucket.org/knyteguy/meta.tf[/url]

Education
2009 – Present (Major in Computer Science & Engineering)
	Truckee Meadows Community College, Reno, NV
2000 – 2004 (Graduated)
	Spanish Springs High School, Reno, NV
References
I threw in some extra line breaks for the good of the tables.

Thanks again :)

E: Added one more sample, it's not an open source project but I'll invite them if I get an interview or something.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 28, 2013

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

greatZebu posted:

A few quick tips:

1, Git isn't an acronym. Only capitalize the first letter.
2. It's a lot better to give specifics for things like "increase the amount of customer revenue" if at all possible. If you can be more specific about what you did than "maintenance" and "improvement", that's even better.
3. Your github project isn't in good enough shape to use as a portfolio. At a bare minimum it needs a readme file to explain what it's supposed to do and where the relevant code is. I clicked through several files that didn't have much in the way of code, then I found one file that seemed like it had the bulk of the application in it, but it was full of stuff like this:

code:
    class AgilityPackWebsite
    {
        string _website;
        public string Website
        {
            get
            {
                return this._website;
            }
            set
            {
                this._website = value;
            }
        }
    }
This is a problem because (1) why does this class even exist, it's just a string (2) the name of the class is nonsensical and seems to be a verb rather than a noun, and (3) website is a pretty bad name for a variable anyway--is it a url, html, some packed representation of a site, or what? I don't say this to be discouraging or mean, but to encourage you to do some thinking about your code from the perspective of someone coming to it from the outside and trying to use it to evaluate what kind of coder you are.

Alright thanks for the tips, I've been dreading refactoring the code but I guess it needs to be done. I use that class like once in the code, so yea it's pretty worthless. There's also a lot of commented out code I didn't end up using.

I really wish I could make my bitbucket project open source. It's setup for http://yui.github.com/yuidoc/ but I plan on making it a revenue generating project.

I'll make sure I go over what you've stated and fix it up before I send it out. Unfortunately I don't have the exact statistics on the revenue increase from the contract job. We couldn't export the statistic database when we migrated the site over. Thanks again for the help :).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Well I applied for the position of E-commerce administrator for a local casino, and they called me like 6-7 times trying to get me in for an interview. I guess I'll be going down on Monday. It's not exactly the position I want, but casinos have renowned benefits in this community, so it's worth a shot I guess. I'd rather get a dev job but it would work while I'm in college.

Thanks for the help, I'll be applying for more positions; hopefully a coding job or internship will bite.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Ugh, I'll be applying because my wife may get a job in the area very soon, but the pay is extremely low tier: http://tinyurl.com/d3butfz (tinyurled to stay out of the search engines). I mean, I know it says junior, which I like to think I'm past that point, but $15.00/hr as a contractor? That's almost criminal, especially for a position in the SF bay area.

I almost want to put this in coding horrors.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

tk posted:

I would not even bother applying.

But if you do, be sure to ask what their opinions are on red, orange, green, purple, yellow, or pretty much any color other than blue.

:cawg: :smith:

I make more than this in my podunk town doing the same stuff pretty much, I applied just to gauge interest. It does have a flexible schedule which would be nice since I'm still pursuing my degree.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

This company sounds terrible.

I didn't catch either of those the first time. I guess I just don't have a good enough attention to detail.

I'm actually trying to get in with my wife's company in corporate, they're hiring a junior .net developer and she's been with the company for 7 years now. It's at the same building (though she would be downstairs), so the commute would be great too.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey Goons,

I'm still working on getting the software job. I've updated my resume:

And added one of my bigger web development projects to Github:
https://github.com/Noppadet/MetaTF

Does anyone mind taking a look at what I've got here and let me know what my chances of getting a job are? Also if someone wouldn't mind looking at my GitHub project briefly, and letting me know how the documentation looks, and if the project as a whole is worthy to send to employers?

Thanks if anyone has the time!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Strong Sauce posted:

First I would say, move skill below experience. Rename Relevant Experience to "Experience." Rename "Samples of Expertise" to "Projects" or something like that.

Compact the "skillset" list more as it takes up way too much space. And why does C# get called C# coding while no other programming languages are labelled as such, e.g. "PHP coding?"

"In contract to.." means? You should write so that there is some clarity as to what you did. I guess this means you're working as a contractor with Lockhart Phillips?

Use bullet points with "action verbs" to describe the activities you did at each job. Right now you have everything mashed together into a paragraph and the first few sentences begins with the world "Created" It would also help if you could show numbers like, "Sped up site by X%" or something in some points.. but only if you can actually describe how you got to those numbers.

For example instead of "Created C# software..." as your first sentence. Convert everything to bullet points and your first item should be, "Migrated an entire 5000 page e-commerce website written in C# (or ASP.NET? I am not really familiar but I always though the web stuff was ASP.NET?) to a new reliable webhost without FTP information" (I'm not actually sure what you mean by "without FTP information so you should probably clarify that or remove it") Same for every other sentence in that block.

Think about it like this. Skillset is important, but your experience is way more important. You chose to give every skill its own line, but for your experience you just write out sentences that start off with the word, 'created'? Experience should take up the largest portion of your resume (because you're suppose to be experienced and all that).

Also why did you change your resume format from your resume you made a year ago?

Hey Strong Sauce,

Thanks again for your help. I probably should just get a professional resume done from resume2interviews or whatever so I don't end up doing this every year.

I had to search the forums to find my old resume:

for reference

I was using that resume from a template I found online, and it was an exercise in patience to modify so I made this one a bit more plain text so I could hit enter without screwing up the margins. Do you think it would be worth it to try and reproduce this template again, or to try to find another template?

Regarding your feedback, do you think something like this is a little stronger?

Re: In contract to, I couldn't figure out how to correctly say I contracted for this company, so that's what a quick Google search told me to do. I am a contractor for them though, yes. Also the old web host was a really lovely individual who wouldn't give FTP access, or database access, while key online directories were write-protected. I came up with the solution to simply scrape every single page for the information we needed, and to download all of the product images. It was desktop software though.

I will work on the verbs. Unfortunately I don't have many hard statistics to post; the industry can be really erratic so metrics can't really be trusted. I didn't really do any code optimizations before the move because we didn't have access, so the only real speed improvement was via switching to my server which runs an NGINX front-end server.

Resumes are really drat tough.

I might have missed some stuff because it's getting late, but I'll go over everything again tomorrow. Thanks for the :krad: help.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

drat man thanks for the comprehensive response. Hopefully a few others will be able to get something from this too. I went over your posts a couple times, and this is what I ended up coming up with:

I believe that it might need some more work, but hopefully I can convince a couple of employers to set me up an interview, or at least nab an internship (going to apply for one now actually).

Thank you very much for your perspective, it's been extremely helpful. If you're ever in the Reno/Tahoe area let me know, and I'll buy you beer. :respek:

E: Well two responses already, cool. I have an a phone interview tomorrow night, and a phone interview Wednesday afternoon.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 15, 2013

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Hey Strong Sauce,

Just thought I'd let you know that I've received offers for five interviews around the country with my resume you helped me create. One thought I was local and didn't want to pay for relocation, but four phone interviews with the first one this evening. Not bad for two days!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So I have an interview with HP tomorrow, apparently! It will include a live coding session. I also have two more phone interviews tomorrow, and one in person second interview in 2 weeks with a local company. :asoiaf:

I can fizzbuzz the hell out of any language on my resume, but I don't really know anything about algorithms/data structures. I didn't list it on my resume, so hopefully it won't come up.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

You've been majoring in Computer Science and Engineering since 2009 and don't know anything about algorithms or data structures? Really?

I was a computer science major, then business major, and then a pre-med/biology major just in my first two years, and then I took a year off. I couldn't figure out what the hell I wanted to do, so I had to figure that out in my year off. I've only recently (past 1.5 years) started getting serious about programming, and even more recently about computer science. I'm just now finishing my first semester back to college, running with a 4.0 GPA this time too (as opposed to a 2.5 or so I had my first two years). I haven't even taken a real computer science course yet, only programming language classes. I was working with PHP on and off for roughly 7 years (most of my stuff was coding horrors of course) before any of this, but I wasn't sure if it's what I wanted to do in life. In fact one of the main reasons I'm going back to college at all is so I can learn the computer science stuff that I don't know.

I'm pretty non-traditional because I pretty much worked blue collar labor jobs since I graduated high school 9 years ago. I was actually enrolled for a comp-sci degree but decided I liked money now (then) better. I truly wish I had just gone through with it then. I think the main reason I backed off was because I was going to join the Navy as a nuclear tech, but backed out of that because I decided that the career path that would lead me to would be boring as gently caress.

Anyway I did forward my Github to all of the potential employers, so at least they pretty much know what I can do. I'm completely prepared if I don't land a position with any of these companies; my end goal is really my degree right now. Not just because I want the piece of paper, but because I know there's so much more about this craft and the world in general I would like to learn about. Plus I've got some personal projects I really want to finish :getin:.

Long tangent sorry.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 19, 2013

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Interview with HP done.

Algorithms/Data structures did come up a tiny bit. I had to solve two problems (one being an array modification, arranging an array full of numbers. Arrange the numbers so odd is on one side, even is on the other). I struggled a bit with the questions. The array modification, instead of modifying the array I instantiated two new arrays, used modop to decide whether it was an odd or an even, pushed into the arrays, combined them to the original array, and then returned the modified original array. He changed the parameters to not allow me to instantiate new arrays, and instead we just talked through the problems. Would something like this use an XOR op or something? I couldn't figure out how to do it without overwriting the array index.

He mentioned going over my github and said they're looking for someone with diverse skills in different languages, so he liked that I have a C#, bash, javascript/node, and PHP repository each on my GitHub.

They said they'd get back to me in a week. I think it went just OK but we'll see.

Next week I have an interview as a junior web dev in Wisconsin. The job and it's benefits sound really great, and the pay is the best of all so far. There's another live coding session with them, which I imagine won't be more difficult than the HP position since it's JR.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Bhaal and baquerd thanks for the information. I'll be working out a solution with the information tomorrow. I think I'm going to pick up the coding interviews book earlier too; if I don't make it to the next stage of the HP interview cycle it will be because of my weakness in this area.

Scaevolus posted:

He was asking for an in-place partition function, like in Quicksort.

I asked him verbatim if he wanted a Quicksort and he said no. I actually had a great sort function I've had for awhile in the language we working with, and I told him so, but he didn't want them sorted, either.

Anyway I'm really exhausted. I ended up doing maintenance for a client of mine, and was trying to contact another client that was referenced to me, on top of 3 phone screens, two coding tests, and fixing my truck stereo :psyboom:. The other coding test was pretty basic and dealt with more practical problems, and the company who gave it to me seems really awesome. It was a group interview and everyone was very light, and the head of programming said 'interwebs' in his email to me after the fact. :)

e: ^ the only parameter was I couldn't declare two new arrays AFAIK.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 20, 2013

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Well I just had a coding test with one of the largest marketing firms in the world, which I thought I completely bombed... but the code administrator just got back to me and said everything looks good! I'm very surprised, I had to leave a question out of 4 blank because my SQL statements (especially w/ unions/joins) are not very strong at all. One of the questions I couldn't figure out how to do in straight Javascript, so I just did it in Node.js (where it said only Javascript/jQuery were allowed), and I don't know anything about C# class inheritance which was another part of a question. I did get to use some C# class knowledge regarding private variable knowledge, which I just learned yesterday from everyone here though, so that was cool.

Also HP said I was a bit too JR for the position I applied for (the recruiter didn't even tell me what the position was, it wasn't any of the three I applied for which I thought it was), but apparently they're going to see if I fit in any other spots and get back to me within the week, so apparently the interview portion went OK. One more interview to go next week with a local company, and another one that I'm waiting to hear back from. Hopefully one of them bites.

E: I'm learning that some recruiters can be very unprofessional

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 24, 2013

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Ithaqua posted:

Then don't apply for jobs as a .NET developer until you do. It's fundamental.

The company and their recruiter contacted me for the position.

E: Oh, well all I needed to do was add was "fooClass : barClass" to give my class inheritance I think. The rest of the question was correct.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 24, 2013

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Would it be highly unusual to go to an interview in my casual clothes, with a start-up company? I bought some oxford shoes, a pair of khakis, and a nice looking button-up, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better just to go in my shorts, a polo, and some sneakers. The company seems to be very interested at this point-I missed the interview yesterday because I couldn't find their office (though I let them know I was at the right address, there are just like a million small businesses), and I don't have a cell phone so I couldn't call. I apologized sincerely and they rescheduled, telling me that they were disappointed because they've been most excited to interview me. I don't want to be disrespectful, but I would genuinely be more comfortable in casual clothes; it's also how I interviewed at my last position which I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

baquerd posted:

It's 2013 and you don't have a cell phone? I can understand not having a smart phone perhaps, but no cell at all? You've really damaged your chances with this company because it sounds like you're just weird, and showing up in shorts when they're already wondering what the hell is up with you is not a good decision.

Go get a cell-phone. You can get one with texting capability on a pre-paid plan for less than $50, and pay less than $5 a month if you hardly use it.

Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure if it would be kosher to dress really casual for a start-up.

Re: Cell phone: I'm slightly embarrassed to post this but my wife and I are seriously barely making it as-is; $50.00 is literally impossible because I pretty much stopped working at my last job in January (contract job) completely out of the blue, and my college has a really stupid policy on how to decide who gets work study. If it were a normal job I would be eligible for full unemployment, but I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing when I negotiated my contract. I would absolutely love to get my cellphone back, but literally every single non-essential bill we have has gone to collections.

The business owner can think I'm weird, but I earnestly tried to find the place, and I let him know that; I tried at least 20 different businesses in his center asking if they knew where he was, and used another small business's computer to check the location on their website-the address wasn't listed. After searching for 45 minutes I left; it was around the corner. I fully expected to not get another opportunity with the company, and I simply e-mailed to apologize for wasting his time. He invited me back. He admitted there are no signs on any of the drat businesses in the complex, and the sign on their suite isn't even for their business, so I couldn't even know it was the right office if I was looking at it. I should have written down the suite number however, so it was a dumb move yea.

This place hasn't exactly been my favorite choice though. There's no insurance, no 401k, I would be the only engineer in a company of 3 (2 of which are owners), the salary is only OK, and I basically would be in charge of what technical choices the company makes. While I do this at the company I (sparingly) contract for now, I was really hoping I could work with some cool dudes who know more than I do, that I could learn from too. So not to be a jerk because I would appreciate some work, but they're not even close to my top choice right now (I'm waiting on at least two more companies who I've interviewed with or who have expressed interest).

My wife is also interviewing next Friday for a corporate management position in Berkeley/Redwood City that would be a huge boon for us, so I'm also weary to commit to a job until we find out what happens with that. She definitely has a good chance and while I'm not relying on that, I would turn down pretty much any non-Silicon Valley position if she got that job anyway. It will be much easier for me to get a really good job in the next few years than for her to in a retail setting.

e: Summary: I'm loving broke and we can't afford even the cheapest cell phone; assholes :arghfist:!

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 3, 2013