Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I have begun my job search for an entry level software developer position post graduation and I am wondering how much salary I should be looking for. I live in Pittsburgh and it seems that the average entry level is in the 50's which seems low relative what most people said in this thread. But it kind of makes sense since the standard of living in Pittsburgh is so cheap compared to other major cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I have an in person interview with Netapp for an entry level Software Engineer position and I was wondering if anyone has interviewed with them for a similar position and what kind of questions they asked.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

shrughes posted:

They actually wanted the square root in terms of p-adic arithmetic, where p = 2.
I have never heard of p-adic arithmetic before. The chances of them asking me that same question are absurdly low so I am not too worried, but I would have just assumed to use Newton's method.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 16, 2012

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
A lot of hostility over such an unimportant issue.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

shrike82 posted:

Heh, whether algorithms and data structures are intrinsic to good software development = unimportant.

It never ceases to amaze me how many lovely developers are out there in the wild.
Obviously data structures and algorithms are a fundamental of software development. Leave it to a bunch of computer science goons to take a problem about modulo arithmetic personally and start giant debate. My comment wasn't really targeted at you though... even if your last few comments have been overly smug and generally unbearable.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 20, 2012

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

shrike82 posted:

So speaks the guy looking for a job. I guess when your interview comes up and you can't answer a modular arithmetic question, you can tell the interviewer you're not a goon.
Yes I am looking for a job because I haven't even graduated yet. You hurt my feelings :(

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Last Thursday I had a manager email me about chatting about an open position they have. He said he would call on Friday but he ended up never calling, probably because he is busy. My question is how long should I wait before sending a friendly email with updated availability to chat?

Edit: I actually went ahead and emailed him. Turns out he forgot he was off for Easter so all is good.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 9, 2012

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

seiken posted:

In my opinion you should learn LaTeX (if you're a programmer it's trivially easy) and write your CV using that because everything else looks completely amateur in comparison. (Maybe there are some places that only accept MS Word CVs but surely no tech places these days? I don't know.)

Edit: just in case it helps anyone, here is my CV basically turned into template form and here is what it looks like rendered. (And this is the resume document class file I'm using that I found somewhere.)
That looks like something that could be re-created in 5 minutes using msword or any office program and you won't have to learn how to use LaTeX. So I fail to see the advantage, unless you plan on using LaTeX in the future (which does have its uses).

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
The chances of getting hired at google with a 2.8 gpa are pretty much zero based on the stories I've heard online. Unless you are a rockstar programmer in your free time and just didn't care about school, even then I would say it's a long shot. Obviously, you should still try since stranger things have happened.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
That is definitely true. Probably the best way to get employed by google if your college grades were mediocre would be to work somewhere else for ~3-5 years and work on do lots of side projects in your free time.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
So I made the mistake of taking a low paying job straight after graduation because I was broke and needed to pay bills. Six months later I am beginning to regret my decision. Some short comings of the job include no peer code reviews, no version control (git or svn), no QA testing, other programmers aren't concerned with sql injections, and I reiterate the vastly underpaid part.

Will I have issues getting interviews/hired at a new place since I am planning on leaving my first real job in ~6 months? I feel like my reasons for leaving are pretty reasonable, but I am also new to the job market.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Thank you both for the advice. I like the phrasing for the reasons I am leaving my current employer while avoiding bashing them. Now comes the fun part of actually getting interviews and taking off work for "doctor/dentist" appointments. I did not think I would have to go through this process again so shortly, but unfortunately here I am.

Some advice for others, don't take the first job offered to you if you have any doubts.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 21, 2012

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I just found out my boss who has worked at my company for 7 years and is the oldest employee besides the owner only makes $21/hr. Get me outta here.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 22, 2012

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
You could spend a month or less making a dinky game on droid/IOS and I feel like it would increase your chances of getting an interview greatly. If you are interested in going the mobile route of course.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
For applying to to jobs out of state what should I mention about relocation assistance? I plan on moving regardless so I would be willing relocate under my own cost, but of course would gladly accept assistance. Any advice how I should approach the situation? I realize some companies are not willing to pay to relocate so I would like the best chance for acquiring a job as possible.

Edit: reallocate instead of relocate hah

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 21, 2013

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Wear a trench coat next time if you want to get hired.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
If I could get some feedback on my resume I would greatly appreciate it. I went for a simple look, but it may be too simple and I am undecided about it. Also, I am not sure whether or not I should include an objective or summary of qualifications at the top. I feel these are kind of redundant with the use of a cover letter, but maybe it wouldn't hurt? Lastly, any advice on the content would be helpful as well. I may be selling my self short even though my internship was kind of a waste of time.

Thanks again for any feedback!

(I know all my info can be found between my email address and github... oh well!)

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 14, 2013

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I am applying to jobs in the bay area and I currently live in Pittsburgh. I have no idea why recruiters keep asking me for my current salary when the market wage is CONSIDERABLY different between the 2 cities, i.e. ~$20,000+. I end up just saying I'm not comfortable revealing that information at this time.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Chances of you becoming a successful indie dev if you dedicate yourself > 0%
Chances of you becoming a successful indie dev if you don't bother == 0%

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" Just have fun and program some dumb games no one will ever play. Maybe some day one of those dumb games will actually be real good and make you rich, maybe not. The worst way to go through life is not trying anything because you are afraid of failure.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 26, 2013

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Stobbit posted:

what's the best way to say "thanks, but I have now accepted an offer with another company",
Maybe tell them "thanks, but I have now accepted an offer with another company"; it is really that easy. You don't owe them anything.

Edit: I was beaten!

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Unless you are working on projects in your own time, you are just screwing your self over. Yes, free money is nice and not having to do work is wonderful. Unfortunately, what are you going to talk about when interviewing for your next position? Nothing.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Anybody have good advice for phone interviews? I have recently been applying to jobs out of state so this is my only option at the moment. I have been updating a document with topics to speak about, answers to common questions, and questions to ask the interviewer. Although, I am going to expand on these notes because I have not been answering some as well I could be.

P.s. is there anything worse than an interview on speaker phone? Hearing myself speak definitely interrupts my flow of thought.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
If I make my resume public on Dice.com where should I mention that I am only looking for positions in X area? It gets extremely annoying when local recruiters call me daily (while at work). Maybe I should just remove my phone number from the public resume.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 16, 2013

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I mastered git in 5 seconds. :smugdog:

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

DreadCthulhu posted:

Btw people just starting out web development should checkout the Coursera Startup Engineering course going on right now. Everything in there looks very relevant, at least form the few lectures they posted so far.
I do think there is some valuable information within this course so I plan on completing most of it, but I am a little skeptical so far. One of the first lectures basically says "get a mac, everyone in a start-up uses a mac so you will be lost without one", which is laughable. Second, the final project has you set up a bitcoin self-starter and I refuse to do anything associated with bitcoin.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Yeah he also gave information on how to set up cygwin on Windows, but it just stood out to me as an ignorant/irrelevant thing to point out.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 8, 2013

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I am not arguing about whether or not the majority of start-ups use macs. I just think it is irrelevant and it was more the "you should get one cause everyone has one" herd mentality that irked me. Being able to use mac, windows, and linux is a trivial skill for a developer so it's a moot point.

I just want to learn more about AWS and Heroku. :shrug:

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 8, 2013

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Anybody have any experience interviewing with Pivotal Labs in person? All I know is I will be doing paired-programming with two separate developers throughout the day.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Why would they want to watch you while performing this test? "Ah look at those facial expressions while writing that recursive solution, a true wizard. Uh oh he looked uncomfortable for a second, subtract 5 points". It seems laughably idiotic.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Ithaqua posted:

We used to watch people while they coded simple stuff (FizzBuzz, etc). You actually learn a lot when you watch someone code, although you have to give a reasonable amount of leeway for performance anxiety/stress.

I saw several people who took 5+ minutes to figure out how to write a for loop in a language that they claimed to have 10 years of experience in.

You also can see a lot about how they approach problems. Do they set up breakpoints and step through their code? Do they start writing trace statements to the console? Do they just blindly change stuff and see what effect it has? It's nothing that will disqualify a clearly competent applicant, but it can help with borderline cases.
I don't think this is related to watching someone over a webcam? There are plenty of online programs that record your solutions to problems so they interviewer can see your thought process. None of which require an up close look at their face. Also, a collaborative editor over skype makes sense where you think out loud. Maybe I misunderstood and that's exactly what he will be doing (thinking out loud). Either way I agree with what you are saying.

Although, I think it's funny that someone would have their friend do that portion for them. If you can't get past the easier pre-screening how are you going to pass the in-person interview? I guess they are just maximizing their odds.

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 12, 2013

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
When doing salary negotiations am I correct in assuming you have nothing to lose by asking for ~10k more? Best case scenario they match it, or maybe add 5k. Worst case is they say they can't budge. I can't imagine them revoking their offer.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Is there any worse feeling than the limbo when waiting to hear back from an interview? I have always hated uncertainty and just want to know the outcome already! Every time I get an email I am scrambling to check it.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Skuto posted:

Then there's a few things like "Android SDK". I can't find any place in your career where you mention using that, yet it's an in-demand skill. What gives?
I am assuming he learned it in his free time.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Skuto posted:

It's a matter of personal preference I'm sure, but if it's potentially relevant for work it makes sense to elaborate exactly what you did with it in your free time. "Skills: Android SDK" is meaningless.
I edited my quote to sound less harsh, but yeah I agree. If he is applying to Android positions it should definitely be more highlighted. If he isn't it is just a bonus point so it is not too important.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I came across a job posting that specified you MUST include your salary history in the application to be considered for the job. Obviously, I said gently caress that and did not apply, but I'm curious what their rationale is. Is it just an excuse to underpay people that are currently underpaid? Either way it is definitely not a place I would care to work for.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I also think it's inappropriate to ask for personal information before even speaking to the person. Uh maybe tell me a little about the position and company first? I guess this is what happens when you get flooded with applicants regardless.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I know this has been asked for but any tips on salary negotiation and relocation assistance? As far as salary goes I'm looking for about $5k more so I will probably just count-offer with 10k more. I'm not sure what to say for regarding relocation assistance though. I would need to find and apartment and drive across the country (Pittsburgh to San Diego) so what would be a fair amount?

Edit: I should have checked the OP for advice!

Don Mega fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 26, 2013

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005

Uziel posted:

Maybe I'm ultra under paid, but I know a few developers also in Pittsburgh and a $10k raise while moving from Pittsburgh to California seems like a huge pay cut. Are you sure the wage difference between Pittsburgh and San Diego is that small given how inexpensive Pittsburgh cost of living is compared to San Diego?
I am not asking based on my Pittsburgh salary. They already gave me a figure and I would ask for $10k above that.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
Always be sending out job applications until you have signed an offer. I'm sure everyone has examples of where they were certain they had a job but turned up empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
I did that once when I was popping out cover letters at a blazing pace. Suffices to say I did not get the job with the wrong company name in the email.