Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Another mod people tend to forget about is a UI mod like darn's. Even though it was technically never finished its leaps and bounds above everything else.

http://ui.darnified.net/wip/DUIFONV/v1/DUINVv04.7z
Download this ^^^

1. Unpack into the data files folder (or FOMM/MO/whatever)
2. Go to your documents/my games/fallout new vegas folder and find fallout.ini
3. ctrl-F "fonts" and replace the [fonts] section with
code:
[Fonts]
;sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt
;sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_16.fnt
sFontFile_3=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt
;sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_VeryLarge02_Dialogs2.fnt
sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fnt
sFontFile_5=Textures\Fonts\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt
;sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\Baked-in_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fnt
sFontFile_8=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt
sFontFile_9=Textures\Fonts\NVFont_Test.fnt
4. If you use the steam launcher because you're an idiot and don't have NVSE and FNV4GB, go to the new vegas steam folder and replace the fonts section in Fallout_Default.ini as well with that.
5. Enjoy because you now have a not horrible UI

Look all the choices fit in one page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's fairly okay, but you can really tell the lighting engine wasn't made to handle this kind of dynamic lights.

Smol posted:

Don't bother, it's terrible (not that you should blame the author, the game just doesn't support stuff like this).

Yeah, there's no directional spot-lighting in FO3/FNV (unlike Skyrim). I seem to remember the first torch (er... "flashlight") mod doing something really out-there like arraying a whole bunch of invisible, constantly firing weapons along a line, and the resulting muzzle flashes providing the light.

I don't know if that's still the approach, but it would have to be something at least equally as crazy.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Questions about making FNV4GB work

I have downloaded FNV4GB here...

The op instructions state

quote:

In order to get FOMM / NVSE to target the correct executable, do the following:

1. Start up FOMM
2. Select "Settings"
3. Click on "Fallout: New Vegas" tab
4. In the "Custom Launch Command", direct FOMM to use the FNV4GB.exe instead. It should end up looking like:

"c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\FNV4GB.exe"

Can I just make the command line for FOMM be "c:\(wherever FNV4GB is now)\FNV4GB.exe"?

Do I have to move all the data from the FNV4GB unzip into the Fallout New Vegas steam folder?

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Can I just make the command line for FOMM be "c:\(wherever FNV4GB is now)\FNV4GB.exe"?

Do I have to move all the data from the FNV4GB unzip into the Fallout New Vegas steam folder?

You don't actually need to run the 4gb executable via FOMM. You can just run it directly (as it says it in its own readme). If you have NVSE installed properly, it'll automatically run it on game start (since NVSE actually runs whenever the game is launched via Steam, FOMM has nothing to do with it).

I have the 4 gb folder in a completely different place then my FNV folder, and it runs just fine.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Helical Nightmares posted:

...yes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

loving hell Onix ENB is nice.

It's making me want to see Red Dead Redemption ported over to the PC even more, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Capn Beeb posted:

Red Dead Redemption

Never happening, but RDR is the only reason I own a PS3. Love that game so much.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah I know, such a shame :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I wanted to get into RDR but I kept getting killed by the highway holdups and could never figure out how to snap to a target while aiming (after the first time I aimed.)

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I AM BRAWW posted:

I too want to download the Millenial gun pack and have cool guns, but I can't be assed to download 4 parts.

I'd download the guns in the pack separately but there's literally almost fifty different individual packages, and even those fail on me half the time.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

I AM BRAWW posted:

I too want to download the Millenial gun pack and have cool guns, but I can't be assed to download 4 parts.

Wait, what? I didn't break it up into four parts. It's just one big file :psyduck:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Capn Beeb posted:

loving hell Onix ENB is nice.

It's making me want to see Red Dead Redemption ported over to the PC even more, though.

Goddamn, that looks good. Does the weird scifi poo poo look as good? Show us some lasers and poo poo! :science:

Have you listed all the graphics mods you are using there yet because yeah I might have to replicate that this winter.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
What mods would be recommended for a first playthrough? In the Games Recommendation thread I was advised to get: Jsawyer mod, New Vegas Script Extender and CASM. Any of these I should not get and any in addition? I am not looking for the core gameplay to be drastically changed but the DLC weapons being available right away is probably not ideal, either.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Get NVAC.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

Goddamn, that looks good. Does the weird scifi poo poo look as good? Show us some lasers and poo poo! :science:

Have you listed all the graphics mods you are using there yet because yeah I might have to replicate that this winter.

I'll get some science going shortly :toot: Also I'm not even sure what all I'm running anymore. Incidentally, does anyone have a Not Nexus mirror for the NMC or Ojo Bueno texture packs?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Xeras posted:

What mods would be recommended for a first playthrough? In the Games Recommendation thread I was advised to get: Jsawyer mod, New Vegas Script Extender and CASM. Any of these I should not get and any in addition? I am not looking for the core gameplay to be drastically changed but the DLC weapons being available right away is probably not ideal, either.
If it's your first playthrough I would recommend playing at least a few hours with vanilla (that includes not using JSawyer) so you have good idea what it is you want to add / chance / remove.

Getting CASM is always a good idea. Disable autosave in your settings and have CASM replace quicksave. The vanilla quicksave and autosave work fine on a vanilla setup, but can cause problems like corrupt saves on a heavily modded game.
Also after installing the New Vegas Script Extender get NVAC. This is a plugin for NVSE that can prevent crashing and freezing.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also, once you've hosed about in vanilla a bit, get Project Nevada. If you disable its rebalance it works fine with Jsawyer, and it makes a lot of improvements to the gameplay. You can try it out, see if you like it, then run with it or not depending on what you like better.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I tried installing Onix ENB but it kind of looks like crap. Don't think I set it up properly. Could someone provide a detailed guide with pictures or something because I'm apparently too :downs: to figure this out.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Xeras posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713&userid=16423&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post424311466

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

watho posted:

I tried installing Onix ENB but it kind of looks like crap. Don't think I set it up properly. Could someone provide a detailed guide with pictures or something because I'm apparently too :downs: to figure this out.
Did you get the Realistic Wasteland Lighting mod? Onix is designed to be used with that. Installing Onix is just a matter of putting all the ENB-related files in the New Vegas main directory, that should activate it. I'm using the version with depth of field and installed from the Wrapper folder.

Also, turn off in-game antialiasing and anisotropic filtering as well as water multisampling in the New Vegas launcher, and disable Steam Overlay. There might still be some wonky shadows and other minor glitching going on every once in a while (for me, Mr. House's real body became invisible until I temporarily removed ENB) but that's just ENB being janky in general.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I'm pretty sure that the antialiasing doesn't work for me.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Are you not getting any AA at all? Some distant objects do have some shimmering and look kinda aliased in my game, but aside from that the AA seems to work okay.

I'd definitely like to fix the shimmering but I have no idea how to tweak the ENB settings properly. :saddowns:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just use the most popular ENB on Nexus which is this one I think. It has a little menu you can access while you are in game that lets you tweak settings. Does Onix not have this? Also, looking at screenshots, Onix doesn't look that much different.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Repostin' this here:

I'm installing NV again after a year or so and there's a mod I'm looking for... It's a rad clothes/armor pack that IIRC got taken off Nexus due to drama, and was only available 'round these parts by direct download. The creator/compiler was a goon, I think, maybe named Scorpion or Raptor or Jackal or Fireanus or something...?

Anyone have any clue what the hell I'm talking about? I didn't see mention of it in the OP.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Trustworthy posted:

Repostin' this here:

I'm installing NV again after a year or so and there's a mod I'm looking for... It's a rad clothes/armor pack that IIRC got taken off Nexus due to drama, and was only available 'round these parts by direct download. The creator/compiler was a goon, I think, maybe named Scorpion or Raptor or Jackal or Fireanus or something...?

Anyone have any clue what the hell I'm talking about? I didn't see mention of it in the OP.

Probably the Desert Scorpion pack, which IIRC wasn't goon made, but I'm sure somebody here has it.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Hobo on Fire posted:

Probably the Desert Scorpion pack, which IIRC wasn't goon made, but I'm sure somebody here has it.

That sounds right. Yeah, if anyone has a working link, I'd really appreciate it. :)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is there a way to get some of these NMC or Ojo Bueno texture packs without doing a direct download from Nexus for six hours that will invariably fail halfway through with no explanation?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Trustworthy posted:

That sounds right. Yeah, if anyone has a working link, I'd really appreciate it. :)
Link

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Thanks a bunch!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thanks from me too. I never used this, but it sounds interesting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
argh, the dreaded ever-changing texture bug. Outfits or Chet's shelves or anything freak out and reapply a new texture every 2 seconds instead of staying the right one. Not sure when this bug showed up either.

aside from making sure I've got archiveinvalidation correct (I do, toggled it just to be safe) what else do I do to fix this? I forget so much of how to make this game work :(

e: okay toggling AI three times made it work. is there some bug with FOMM/ai or is this just another Gamebryo thing at work :confused:

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 22, 2014

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Question. Does MCM not work at all with darnified UI? I don't mind flipping it on and off to adjust major things, but it'd be nice if there was a way to fix it. I'm looking around but not seeing anything obvious.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So I haven't seen anyone in the thread post about this, but someguy released a new mod about punching alot of people in shorts.

Anyone try it yet?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

"Sometimes repeating "Red rum" aloud will ensure a smooth installation."

Yeah, that sounds about right for Gamebryo modding in general.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Psion posted:

argh, the dreaded ever-changing texture bug. Outfits or Chet's shelves or anything freak out and reapply a new texture every 2 seconds instead of staying the right one. Not sure when this bug showed up either.

aside from making sure I've got archiveinvalidation correct (I do, toggled it just to be safe) what else do I do to fix this? I forget so much of how to make this game work :(

e: okay toggling AI three times made it work. is there some bug with FOMM/ai or is this just another Gamebryo thing at work :confused:

This hit me lately as well, really weird.

Also is there a 100% sure way to make ffdshow not hook into New Vegas? I've put the .exes in the exclusion list, but poo poo's still hosed up. Normally I use optical audio, but in game the music takes over all channels, is really god drat loud, and sometimes cuts out to let sound effects through. Switching inputs to the standard red/green/black audio, everything's fine. A little quieter, but fine.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Black August posted:

Question. Does MCM not work at all with darnified UI? I don't mind flipping it on and off to adjust major things, but it'd be nice if there was a way to fix it. I'm looking around but not seeing anything obvious.

You need the unified HUD project fomod. Phone posting or I'd link.

It's not actually a mod per se, it's a fomod script you activate in FOMM to automatically have all your ui/hud mods play nice together.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Capn Beeb posted:

This hit me lately as well, really weird.

it's new vegas! Three times and it works fine. I'm using Onix but I think the sharpening is making things look more like rear end than they should. It feels like all my textures are suddenly low res. Probably got some compatibility problem in there somewhere. I'm going to redownload NMC and see if I can just plonk it in my data dir again and fix whatever.

Black August posted:

I've got MCM working with darnUI just fine. I use mcm, darn, and oHUD I believe. You'll want that last one.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Psion posted:

I've got MCM working with darnUI just fine. I use mcm, darn, and oHUD I believe. You'll want that last one.

I got that, but I keep getting this error.

I've fiddled around with all the things it suggests, but nothing seems to work so far.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Black August posted:

I got that, but I keep getting this error.

I've fiddled around with all the things it suggests, but nothing seems to work so far.

You do have uhud (not ohud) correct? I think there's a specific order you have to load them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Psion posted:

it's new vegas! Three times and it works fine. I'm using Onix but I think the sharpening is making things look more like rear end than they should. It feels like all my textures are suddenly low res. Probably got some compatibility problem in there somewhere. I'm going to redownload NMC and see if I can just plonk it in my data dir again and fix whatever.

Onix feels far too oversharpened and there's something about the saturation/contrast that really bothers me. Of course, this is my opinion on it and that's why I choose not to use it myself.