Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

If it's any consolation, they're worth it even at full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

If it's any consolation, they're worth it even at full price.

Yeah it turns out I did purchase them last time but I hadn't actually reinstalled NV since then so blah blah blah I am stupid.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

McKracken posted:

So this post in the before I play thread convinced me to give the game a second chance on the PC after quitting halfway through a few years back on my PS3 copy due to frustration over it crashing so frequently.

Never modded a game before so I'm having a bit of trouble reconciling the OP in this thread and the referenced post. OP mentions FOMM, which I initially installed but could not get the BOSS update to work, so it wouldn't sort my files. I then checked out LOOT suggested in the before I play thread but maybe I'm being real goddamn dumb, I'm not sure how to launch the game from there or how to make sure the proper exe is being used. If I understand everything correctly I need to launch from the 4GB exe to get that working, and that should detect/load NVSE, but how do I make sure my mods launch correctly if I launch directly from the 4GB exe in the steamapps folder? Feel like I'm missing something super obvious.

Running FOMM will bring up a list of all the .ESM and .ESP files in your data folder. The vanilla game and DLCs will be .ESM (master) files, where as mods can be either .ESM or .ESP (plugin) files. These determine what data gets used in game; files at the top of the list are loaded first, where as files further down will add or modify data from files earlier in the load order; this is why some files are dependent on others - they want to modify something that exists in the required file, and can't do so if it isn't already loaded. This will lead to a crash at startup.

FOMM uses check boxes to determine which of these will actually be loaded. As long as the box is checked, the game will make use of the mod. You could also use the same functionality to disable official DLC. Your load order will be pretty short, so you won't really need BOSS unless you start adding more mods. For now, it should look something like this:

FalloutNV.ESM
ClassicPack.ESM
MercenaryPack.ESM
TribalPack.ESM
CaravanPack.ESM
DeadMoney.ESM
HonestHearts.ESM
OldWorldBlues.ESM
LonesomeRoad.ESM
GunRunnersArsenal.ESM
jsawyer.ESP
LOOT.ESP (?)

I haven't used LOOT, so I'm not familiar with its files... it might me named differently or even be an .ESM, in which case it will have to go above JSawyer. FOMM will force this anyway if that's the case, since .ESMs are always loaded before any .ESPs. If you haven't purchased all the official DLC though, you won't be able to use JSawyer since it requires all of it. It won't work otherwise, so if you haven't bought the DLC and don't want to, either leave jsawyer.esp unchecked in FOMM or just delete it outright.

I don't remember if FOMM will autodetect the proper .EXE, but if you have problems with things blatantly being hosed up once you launch, there is a settings button in FOMM which includes a tab for the game where you can set game and mod directories, as well as a custom launch command box where you can point it to the 4gb .exe.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 20, 2014

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

McKracken posted:

So this post in the before I play thread convinced me to give the game a second chance on the PC after quitting halfway through a few years back on my PS3 copy due to frustration over it crashing so frequently.

Never modded a game before so I'm having a bit of trouble reconciling the OP in this thread and the referenced post. OP mentions FOMM, which I initially installed but could not get the BOSS update to work, so it wouldn't sort my files. I then checked out LOOT suggested in the before I play thread but maybe I'm being real goddamn dumb, I'm not sure how to launch the game from there or how to make sure the proper exe is being used. If I understand everything correctly I need to launch from the 4GB exe to get that working, and that should detect/load NVSE, but how do I make sure my mods launch correctly if I launch directly from the 4GB exe in the steamapps folder? Feel like I'm missing something super obvious.

That's why people recommend Mod Organizer over FOMM-FORK / NMM.

Anyways.

1) Install the mods you want to run, activate all of them, close FOMM.

2) Navigate to your Loot folder and run loot.exe
Let it sort your mods, apply, close loot. This is now your load order, no need to run FOMM ever again unless you want to add mods, in which case you go back to step 1)

3) Find the FNV4gb.exe in your New Vegas root folder and run that. Somewhere on your PC is a loadorder.txt file or something, that's where the game, WryeBash and your mod manager of choice get's the load order info from. Your mod manager is only required for mod installation, it's not necessary to launch the game through it once your load order is all set.

I'm not on my windows PC right now but that should be about all that is to it. If you need more help, just post here.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 20, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

:sigh: Well I disabled WME and it looks like the weapon mods from WMX aren't working either. I have absolutely no idea what the problem could be and I don't want to keep playing until I fix it. I've gotten rid of any excess plugins, so that's not the problem. The only other thing I can think to do is rip out and reinstall of the mods, and I rather don't want to do that.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Ariong posted:

:sigh: Well I disabled WME and it looks like the weapon mods from WMX aren't working either. I have absolutely no idea what the problem could be and I don't want to keep playing until I fix it. I've gotten rid of any excess plugins, so that's not the problem. The only other thing I can think to do is rip out and reinstall of the mods, and I rather don't want to do that.

Care to post your current loadorder?

Does Loot throw any errors when you run it?

What happens when you run TES5Edit?

I'm not sure how FOMM handles archive invalidation since I only use FOMM-FORK for UI mods but if there is no ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa in your data folder this might be part of the problem.

Do you use a Bashed Patch?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Thanks guys, that was really helpful. Last minor question:

If at some point in the middle of my play though I want to replace fellout with Nevada Skies or add texture/lighting/effects mods do I have to worry about that messing with save files or stability?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You can never be sure with Fallout, but I'd feel comfortable enough changing those out midstream. Check their respective readmes to see if they do anything on character creation or whatever, if not, knock yourself out.

Just make sure to do a hard save in an interior cell as a safety measure and you'll probably be fine. Speaking of saves, I'm seeing mod orders posted lately without CASM and those are bad mod orders. Get it. Best mod ever.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I've only done like patch mods

uh

there are a lot of mods between this and skyrim holy gently caress

Orv
May 4, 2011
So I've got all the mods playing nice, added a couple other since the problem was me being an idiot instead of mod conflicts, but now I have a separate problem. Specifically I can't get archive invalidation to stick regardless of what I try. Windows 7, not in C/Program Files(x86), etc, I've tried writing the AI bsas directly into the inis but no luck on that either.

E: Fixed it I think. Mmmm, no I somehow made it worse because now every five or six minutes all the textures in the game freak the hell out and peoples heads implode.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 20, 2014

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Orv posted:

So I've got all the mods playing nice, added a couple other since the problem was me being an idiot instead of mod conflicts, but now I have a separate problem. Specifically I can't get archive invalidation to stick regardless of what I try. Windows 7, not in C/Program Files(x86), etc, I've tried writing the AI bsas directly into the inis but no luck on that either.

E: Fixed it I think. Mmmm, no I somehow made it worse because now every five or six minutes all the textures in the game freak the hell out and peoples heads implode.

How many mods do you have installed total? You may have hit your mod limit, which is not always the same # for everyone, but when you do a bunch of really random and odd glitches will start happening frequently.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Naky posted:

How many mods do you have installed total? You may have hit your mod limit, which is not always the same # for everyone, but when you do a bunch of really random and odd glitches will start happening frequently.

Only 22, and the texture thing was an ENB issue it turns out, and I'm not overly upset about my entire game not being a washed out hellhole, so I think I'm finally ready to actually play a video game. Bethesda! :argh:

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 20, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'm happy to say that uninstalling and reinstalling everything was a painless process since I had the foresight to keep copies of all the mods I downloaded, and WME is now fully functional! Turns out I forgot WMEVE, and also probably installed them in the wrong order. Obviously this means a new problem has come up, but it's not as big.

The FAQ in the MCM readme recommends searching Data\menus\prefabs\includes_StartMenu.xml and Data\menus\options\start_menu.xml for duplicate <include src="MCM\MCM.xml"/> lines, but there's 1 in the former and 0 in the latter.

This one I have no idea.

I've gotta say, I like this modding thing. It's fun seeing what doesn't work and why. Only time it's frustrating is when you run out of things to try.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ariong posted:

This one I have no idea.

The Darn UI warning is because another mod is hiding or overwriting its start_menu.xml file. Reinstalling DarnUI or, if you're using MO, hiding any conflicting start menu entries will help.

You're also using Unified HUD, I take it? Switch to UIO - UI Organizer and this problem should just go away. You'll need to disable uHud once you install UIO. If you're using MO, this should be a trivial switch.

Orv posted:

Specifically I can't get archive invalidation to stick regardless of what I try. Windows 7, not in C/Program Files(x86), etc, I've tried writing the AI bsas directly into the inis but no luck on that either.

Which mod manager are you using? It should be handling this for you. If you're not using one, check out SRB's Mod Organizer setup for FNV for a good intro to MO.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 21, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

quote:

The Darn UI warning is because another mod is hiding or overwriting its start_menu.xml file. Reinstalling DarnUI or, if you're using MO, hiding any conflicting start menu entries will help.

I don't know what MO is. I reinstalled DarnUI and now am getting this message.

As well as this one.

v1ld posted:

You're also using Unified HUD, I take it? Switch to UIO - UI Organizer and this problem should just go away. You'll need to disable uHud once you install UIO. If you're using MO, this should be a trivial switch.

I uninstalled it. At least, I tried to.

EDIT: Installed the unified HUD project, that took care of it.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 21, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56312/

New Vegas Redesigned 3 is back. Anyone familiar with it know what changed? Was he just removing the other guy's stuff?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

CJacobs posted:

New Vegas Redesigned 3 is back. Anyone familiar with it know what changed? Was he just removing the other guy's stuff?

Seems like it still requires FCO, so I'm not sure what's different yet.

EDIT: Found a changelog in the comments:

Dracomies posted:

Version 2.8
=======================================
-Changed Colonel Hsu to have more Asian features
-Fixed glitch with stabbed dead Powder Ganger. He will no longer run around
-Added alternate normal maps and diffuse maps and made improvements for many character designs.
-Updated Credits section to give props to Nekronom12 again

-New Vegas Redesigned 3 version 2.8 is derived entirely from open-source.

(Please note that another version is in the works)

There's also this:

Dracomies posted:

If I could do one thing, I wanted to thank everyone here.

I really enjoyed working with all of you and I feel blessed to be with really awesome folks such as yourself. You guys have been very supportive and very cool throughout. This mod was made for you and I made this mod because it’s just so fun and gratifying to create something and to share it with people and see that people enjoy it. Your feedback and ideas have always been very, very helpful.

Everyone does modding for very different reasons. Character design is something that I’ve always enjoyed doing and it’s something I will continue to do. I don’t know what will happen to this mod (although I’ve already done what needed to be done) but I have to be honest about one thing…I am no longer as attached to this mod as I used to be. I can let it go. It’s an old game (drat near four years old) and I think I can move on to other projects. The irony about modding or being a modder is that you can never truly enjoy the work that you make. In other words, I've played this game and beat it before I actually modded it. So in essence, I never really know what the effect of my mods are because they are made after I have beaten the game. But it’s always fun for me because it’s the ability to create something and I've always enjoyed doing this and I will continue to do so. When Fallout 4 comes out, you can be damned sure that I’ll be on it. If things don’t turn out, I’m pretty sure you’ll see me when Dragon Age: Inquisition comes about. That’s next month. But as mentioned before, just wanted to thank everyone here and for everyone who’s been with me throughout these years. You guys are awesome.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 21, 2014

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

ThaumPenguin posted:

-Changed Colonel Hsu to have more Asian features

I've been looking for a way to make NV more racist, this sounds great!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

CJacobs posted:

Found the changelog:

code:
- Made all characters look needlessly lovely
hth

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

This music mod is pretty interesting, http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57216/

e; oh god, he has a separate download for each track

I really wish these weren't replacers, they're pretty good, but I like the original soundtrack as well.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
TTW question. I've been wandering Union Station for 20 minutes or more. I think I started the reactor. Now what the hell do I do?

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
Never mind. Looked it and found a video on YouTube. Stupid breakers.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

posh spaz posted:

I've been looking for a way to make NV more racist, this sounds great!

To be completely fair, Asians looked seriously goddamn terrible in both FO3, and F:NV, and Hsu in particular looked nothing like his portrait. All other justified criticisms of the dude aside, that's one change I'm not against.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

Old Boot posted:

To be completely fair, Asians looked seriously goddamn terrible in both FO3, and F:NV, and Hsu in particular looked nothing like his portrait. All other justified criticisms of the dude aside, that's one change I'm not against.

Dude looks mixed-race to me. I doubt you can maintain Asian racial purity in America post-apocalypse.

Plus his first name is James.

Plus plus his voice actor is white, so I'm not sure why that crazy modder didn't just change him to caucasian. If that modder was really committed, he would've re-recorded all Hsu's lines with a "Me so solly!" accent.

posh spaz fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 23, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

IS the version on the left the original, and the version on the right the modded version? If so, it looks pretty good to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Col. Hsu looks like this in the concept art so I'd say that he was always supposed to look more traditionally asian than in the final game.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Col. Hsu looks like this in the concept art so I'd say that he was always supposed to look more traditionally asian than in the final game.

Is concept art generally considered "more canon" than the finished product? I've never heard of that before now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

posh spaz posted:

Is concept art generally considered "more canon" than the finished product? I've never heard of that before now.

No it's not but I'm just saying that calling the guy racist for making an asian person not be a generic character gen white man is stupid. You really don't have to grasp wildly for things to be offended at. Really you don't, it's true!

Making Johnson Nash not be black anymore is a perfectly good example of a bad thing in the mod. This is not.

edit: Rephrased my post cause it came out differently than I intended it

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 23, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
^^^ This.

And I've known a few Asian men with Americanized first names, with voices that would be difficult to tell apart from J. Random White Dude, soooo...? I'm not really sure where the 'plus'es are coming from, there. But, please, do go on. :allears:

As has been said: go after what's already there. Attacking this is honestly kind of silly, considering, again, how Asians look in the Gamebryo engine, which is basically 'warmed over dogshit' in the best of circumstances.

Now, if you were talking about how stupid those eyebrows look, that'd be another story.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

posh spaz posted:

It is when pretty much every character in the finished product looks bad.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Yet another gameplay overhaul mod that looks kinda decent skimming through the changelog. Probably not going to install this over my Cirosan/Jsawyer combo next time I play, though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So what texture packs do people here prefer?

My current setup is NMC medium with Poco Bueno overwriting parts of it.

posh spaz
Jul 25, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Making Johnson Nash not be black anymore is a perfectly good example of a bad thing in the mod. This is not.

I really don't see how making Johnson Nash white is different from making James Hsu look cartoonishly Asian. Both of those changes are based on stereotypes of what certain people "should" look like. Besides, it's not like the modder made Hsu look anything at all like his concept art anyway.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Cartoonishly Asian

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Fallout: New Vegas Modding Thread - Cartoonishly Asian

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

posh spaz posted:

I really don't see how making Johnson Nash white is different from making James Hsu look cartoonishly Asian. Both of those changes are based on stereotypes of what certain people "should" look like. Besides, it's not like the modder made Hsu look anything at all like his concept art anyway.

That's what Asians look like. People from Asia. Also apart from the eyebrows it looks almost exactly like the concept art.

posh spaz posted:

I'd say it is if the reason is engine limitations. It's hard to make a face that looks good in Gamebryo. That guy who remade Hsu probably spent loving weeks making that.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 23, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That's what Asians look like. People from Asia. Also apart from the eyebrows it looks almost exactly like the concept art.

A fair amount don't look like stereotypes, in fact

and also James Hsu is almost certainly not 'from' Asia in that he was likely born in California, as were several generations of his parents, and unless they kept the family stock fairly segregated, probably has some other cultures mixed in there.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

this is the stupidest loving argument.

correct stupidest, i dont care

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

JawKnee posted:

A fair amount don't look like stereotypes, in fact

and also James Hsu is almost certainly not 'from' Asia in that he was likely born in California, as were several generations of his parents, and unless they kept the family stock fairly segregated, probably has some other cultures mixed in there.

Does someone have the game installed so we can get a DNA swab from Hsu? Time to nip this poo poo in the bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Does someone have the game installed so we can get a DNA swab from Hsu? Time to nip this poo poo in the bud.

Someone needs to make a mod where you can take DNA from everyone and get their exact genetic makeup.