Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

delta534 posted:

Some mods like the legacy of X-13 only have the recipes show up once certian conditions are met. Using that mod as an example you have to put on the suit first for the recipes to show up at the workbench, assuming nothing overwrites the changes it does to stealth suit script.

Install this plugin, http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55399/ , open console and type search "advanced recon helm" . This will give you the correct formid for duping the helment

Raygereio posted:

The additem command calls for a BaseID, not a ReferenceID.
The ReferenceID (which you got when you opened the console and clicked on the item) denotes a specific instance of an object (NPC, item, tree, rock, etc) within the gameworld. The BaseID is the prototype for that object.
You can get the BaeID by loading up your loadorder in FNVEdit and checking the FormID for the item you want.

I had Lutana already installed so that was simple. Thanks for the help.

Now, I'm being a piece of poo poo this run but I don't want to lose Cassidy. Is there a mod out there to prevent her (or Arcade or any companion) from ditching you completely? I was hoping there was an option in CC&C unless 'forcing' her to recruit after she bails will achieve the same result.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Syrant posted:

Now, I'm being a piece of poo poo this run but I don't want to lose Cassidy. Is there a mod out there to prevent her (or Arcade or any companion) from ditching you completely? I was hoping there was an option in CC&C unless 'forcing' her to recruit after she bails will achieve the same result.

I think the "Color Me Evil" karma mod from the OP has an option to prevent Cass leaving.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

PrinceRandom posted:

i patched the main exe and now i get an application load error from steam whenever i load the nvse loader.

edit: i get it if i try to use falloutnv.exe too, i can launch from steam but not the folder.

Disclaimer: I have zero knowledge about running games via Steam.
Things to check:
1. Are you running 64 bit Windows?
2. Have you patched both nvse_loader.exe, FalloutNV.exe, and nothing else?
3. Are you starting the game via nvse_loader.exe?
4. For Win 7 32 bit, did you try this very specific 4GB patch http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35262/ with NVSE http://nvse.silverlock.org/download/nvse_4_5.7z ?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Urgh. I've been playing through Someguy's Russell mod, but I'm deep in Cholla mountain and Hendershot decided to bug out and not notice that I killed all the Tunnelers for him, even after I reloaded and reentered the area. :downs:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Rinkles posted:

Also it'd be grand if someone could suggest a way to quicksave with the DS4 touchpad. Mapping F5 doesn't work because (I believe) the game ignores the keyboard input.

Latest version of this NVSE plugin http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55399/ might be able to help you out, also get CASM if you don't have it already.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Mosnar posted:

Disclaimer: I have zero knowledge about running games via Steam.
Things to check:
1. Are you running 64 bit Windows?
2. Have you patched both nvse_loader.exe, FalloutNV.exe, and nothing else?
3. Are you starting the game via nvse_loader.exe?
4. For Win 7 32 bit, did you try this very specific 4GB patch http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35262/ with NVSE http://nvse.silverlock.org/download/nvse_4_5.7z ?

1 yes
2. I originally patched nvse loader only and it would last a while but i'd still get out of memory crashes, then i patched the falloutnv.exe and it won't launch either nvse or fallout out and Steam gives me an application load error, probably cause i altered the exe and that makes them mad
3. i am
4. I tried those earlier but the 4gb exe would launch the default game with no mods.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

chitoryu12 posted:

I guess we should get to work modding poo poo from Fury Road in by this point. It's just expected now.

A bit late, but hell yes, I would love that! Need a robot arm mod and an engine grease warpaint mod for a Furiosa run. :black101:(Any suggestions if the meantime would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm using this roleplay start mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/45739/ and being a former Legion slave.)

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007

PrinceRandom posted:

1 yes
2. I originally patched nvse loader only and it would last a while but i'd still get out of memory crashes, then i patched the falloutnv.exe and it won't launch either nvse or fallout out and Steam gives me an application load error, probably cause i altered the exe and that makes them mad
3. i am
4. I tried those earlier but the 4gb exe would launch the default game with no mods.

When you performed #4, did you follow this route:

"First, make sure you have launched the game with the default launcher AT LEAST ONCE after setting up your graphics options or the program will NOT function properly.
Make sure Steam is running. Then run FNV4GB.exe as Administrator to launch the game.
FNV4GB will automatically load and execute NVSE if detected."

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Mosnar posted:

When you performed #4, did you follow this route:

"First, make sure you have launched the game with the default launcher AT LEAST ONCE after setting up your graphics options or the program will NOT function properly.
Make sure Steam is running. Then run FNV4GB.exe as Administrator to launch the game.
FNV4GB will automatically load and execute NVSE if detected."

Yep, I've also tried making a shortcut and adding launch commands.
I think I'm just gonna have to reinstall new vegas

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I think reinstalling worked. I picked up alternative starts too, is Trudy supposed to be gone from Goodsprings

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

PrinceRandom posted:

I think reinstalling worked. I picked up alternative starts too, is Trudy supposed to be gone from Goodsprings

I think you have to go through at least a tiny bit of the tutorial quest for her and Joe Cobb to spawn.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

closeted republican posted:

I think you have to go through at least a tiny bit of the tutorial quest for her and Joe Cobb to spawn.

Yeah. I forgot

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Playing New Vegas again I have to say the DLCs are fun, but man have they just equipped and levelled me into a murderbeast.

He may not look like much, but being level 36 with high guns, high melee and high energy weapons (50-60 in all other skills) and the Light Touch perk and high Luck combined with Joshua Graham's armor and his .45 auto pistol means I just destroy pretty much anything (critting all the time), anything that's tougher and at long range I nail with the Gauss Rifle I got from Elijah's body in Dead Money, anything at moderate range that doesn't merit the investment of the Gauss Rifle I take on with the Advanced LAER from OWB (the LAER and Gauss Rifle sharing ammunition is a problem I will have to look into), I gently caress up robots using the sonic emitter with max charge ammunition (which I craft), and anything that gets too close gets a taste of the upgraded warclub from Honest Hearts (which has a ridiculous attack speed and very low VATS cost).

I've kind of just left the main quest be, which is kind of a shame as I always kind of forget to finish it... It's still sitting at The House Always Wins II, Things That Go Boom and Side Bets (Caesar hates me because I attacked one of their outposts before Dead Money, regret it now, because every day I have to deal with assassins).
Gonna be doing Lonesome Road and then get on with finishing up the main quest, haven't really decided who to do it for yet. Though I'm leaning towards House, because I enjoy him.

e: Is the Courier duster light armor?

e2: drat, this should maybe have gone in the general New Vegas thread, fuckit

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 27, 2015

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
It's been a while since I played FNV, whats the deal with Lutana NVSE? does it replace the regular NVSE?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

LumberingTroll posted:

It's been a while since I played FNV, whats the deal with Lutana NVSE? does it replace the regular NVSE?

No, it's a plugin for NVSE that expands the functions mods can call upon with via NVSE.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Hey guys, two quick questions.

I haven't played Fallout 3 since its release, is it worth picking up New Vegas and playing through that instead this time? Are there any mods that are considered essential or am I good to just go through it as vanilla?

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
The only modding aside from script extender and FOMM I would consider mandatory for New Vegas is Darnified UI (or any similar GUI modification). If only to help deal with the giant rear end fonts intended for the console publishes. You should give the game a play through at least once with minimal modding to see what aspects of the game you want tweaked.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
1: yes

2: you don't strictly need any mods, but there are some you should check out because improve on the experience without changing the actual game, or change it to play the way the developers intended in the first place: Freeside Open, Strip Open, Outside Bets and CASM. Look in the OP too for some hi-res retextures, I also recommend EVE and IMPACT which spice up the weapon effects.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Thanks guys, so is New Vegas the superior choice over Fallout 3? I'm about to start setting this poo poo up.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

maev posted:

Thanks guys, so is New Vegas the superior choice over Fallout 3? I'm about to start setting this poo poo up.
:shrug: I'd say yes, but you know, that's a subjective thing. There are people who prefer FO3 of F:NV. You can always have the best of both worldswastelands with TTW which let's you play FO3 through F:NV.

And I'd recommend playing at least a few hours of vanilla. Just to get an idea of what you want to change/remove/edit via mods. The number one mistake people new to modding make is blindly downloading and installing hundreds of mods. Often before they even know how to install mods without screwing up (hint: that involves reading readmes).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 28, 2015

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
If your New Vegas experience is anything like mine you might want to try out some of the performance mods (plus NVSE) from the OP, especially New Vegas Anti Crash. Hanging loading screens were the bane of around 3 playthroughs before I tried modding the game which is a real poo poo to deal with considering vanilla The Strip and Freeside have lots of loading screens.

Before moving into stuff that changes/adds to the game you should definitely try the base game first, some 'good' mods can be pretty subjective. Enjoy vanilla before jumping down the rabbit hole :unsmigghh:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm looking to expand the 38 suite to regular opulent Underground Hideout level. I think I tried a mod that messes with the 38 a long time ago that never worked though. What's a good working one?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

maev posted:

There are people who argue that Fallout 3's environment was more interesting to explore and lent itself more to a mindless romp around the wasteland, dungeon-delving and slaughtering enemies. The actual roleplaying aspects of Fallout 3 were very poor, however, and that was something mods couldn't do very much to address. So you have really great stuff like "Fallout Wanderer's Edition (FWE)" that overhauls the game and makes it more challenging, and "Mart's Mutant Mod" that revamps and expands on the beastiary and makes that more interesting, but you're still going to be stuck with the same dumb characters and quests.

New Vegas is pretty much Fallout 3 Plus, in the sense that everything Fallout 3 had, New Vegas also has, plus it has other improvements to the base game. Primary Needs, weapon modding, traits, (a more fleshed out) crafting, reloading, and cooking systems, and generally stronger roleplaying and questing aspects. Some people find the Mojave to be more boring than Fallout 3's capital wasteland, but it's a difficult argument to make that Fallout 3 had a better story, or more ways to build a character, or more items to find, steal, and make.

Honestly, I feel that New Vegas is a vastly better game than Fallout 3. Part of the replay value for me is the ability to build different characters that can actually behave in different, meaningful ways, and New Vegas really gives you a lot of room in that regard.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 28, 2015

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Fallout 3 beats New Vegas on aesthetics, in my opinion. The environment is blasted and devastated, all the weapons and armors look like Fallout guns and armors, and so on. New Vegas feels like a hodgepodge of cowboys, WW2, gangsters, and retro-50's style that just doesn't blend well. The desert feels a lot more bland and barren (and not in the wastelandish sort of way). Weird that the sequel made pretty much by the people who made the originals had so little of the originals aesthetics.

I'd also say that I think FONV has too many different guns, but I'd also say that about Call of Duty or MGS4, so eh :shrug:.

New Vegas beats Fallout 3 in just about every other category, though. Good Lord are the dialogue options in FO3 terrible.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

On the other hand NV actually has an identifiable aesthetic and isn't a bunch of completely unrelated set pieces randomly scattered on a world map that you get with FO3. It's such an absolute trainwreck of a "world" that doesn't mesh as a cohesive place at all. Which is incredible given what they had to work with in the capital.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Randarkman posted:

(Caesar hates me because I attacked one of their outposts before Dead Money, regret it now, because every day I have to deal with assassins).
Don't think of them as assassins. Think of them as your regular supply of XP, ammo and caps.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

On the other hand NV actually has an identifiable aesthetic and isn't a bunch of completely unrelated set pieces randomly scattered on a world map that you get with FO3. It's such an absolute trainwreck of a "world" that doesn't mesh as a cohesive place at all. Which is incredible given what they had to work with in the capital.

Touché.

Speaking of Fallout 3, is there a list of "required" or suggested mods for FO3, or an old OP? I just got the GOTY off of Steam, and want to give it a go.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

drkeiscool posted:

Speaking of Fallout 3, is there a list of "required" or suggested mods for FO3, or an old OP? I just got the GOTY off of Steam, and want to give it a go.

If you feel like spending a lot of time on your modded-game setup, you may want to check out TTW. If only because FO3 is a very crash happy game, while F:NV - even without tools like NVAC - is far more stable in my experience.
Here's the old FO3-modding thread.
Big mod-names to look at are: Fallout Wanderers Edition, Mart's Mutant Mod, Weapon Mod Kits, Fallout Interoperability Program. Also Fellout to get rid of the pervasive green and DarnUI for a better UI.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

So much this. FO3 feels like 20 different small teams built certain portions of the map by themselves and then as development got closer to the end, they just pieced them all together like a lovely jigsaw puzzle. On one hand, some people might argue the vast differences between everything is part of what made things so interesting but on the other, when you really, really think about it - absolutely nothing makes any sort of cohesive sense what-so-ever.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9
Okay I'm going to bite the bullet, I've been trying to ignore it for a while now but the textures for the bodies of male and female raiders are screwy. With the men it's actually got a texture but I think it was meant to go on a non-vanilla male frame, the ones which really bother me are the female Type3 bodies for female fiends and tech raiders. It's the heinous pink error texture and I'm not sure where the game is trying to find the texture for the female raiders. I use Mod Organizer/LOOT etc.

I tried using Robert's Male Bodies but I always got the black-bar issue for male bodies and it just got to a point where I said gently caress it and disabled it. I took screens just for whatever help it might be posting them, I imagine most of you who would know how to help would already know what it looks like.

This is what it's like for men, I assume it's just trying to apply a texture to the wrong figure? In either case, I can roll with it because it's not like the female fiends.

And this is for the female raiders. I'm using type 3 bodies but I'm trying to figure out where exactly it's trying to look for these textures. I am pretty certain Tech Fiends are from A World Of Pain but that shouldn't matter, right? I am guessing it's possibly New Vegas Redesigned?

Where in FNV Edit should I be looking through? Is this just a texture folder that might be out of place or? I'm not sure what exactly to do here to figure out which path the mod is trying to look into when pulling up these bodies. Other female bodies are fine (save for maybe one or two here and there, it's rare) so I'm... really not sure what the hell I need to specifically hunt down. I've got one

Putzing around in FNVEdit I found these entries for races. Would this be the issue? I'm not sure what it's missing here,.

Maybe the issue is Fallout Character Overhaul as well?

I'm wondering if this might be an issue between Fallout Character Overhaul and New Vegas Redesigned 3.

Syrant fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 30, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
For those of you who have been looking for some neat melee weapons that arn't Combat Knife #89 on Nexus, check out Bingles Melee Complete. All the weapons in it are craftable from various things, and you can also have NPCs use them as well. There's also a youtube link at the top of the desc that shows most of them in action.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That body issue looks to me like something is forcing the raiders to use the vanilla bodies, and it's trying to use the now missing vanilla texture for the women raiders. I don't know enough about either of the mods you're using to guess which is causing that.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Bingles Melee Complete.... There's also a youtube link at the top of the desc that shows most of them in action.

This is great! When I saw this in the mod description

Mod Author posted:

I recently discovered a youtube video that showcases everything in this mod. I did not make this video, but I feel the author did a very nice job. You can view the video here:

My first thought was that any other mod author would have pulled the mod and loudly complained about unauthorized video being taken. Cannot wait to try these weapons out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ooh and it adds them to NPCs. Definitely getting that.

Does anyone use Micalov's Weapon Pack btw? I really like the look of the weapons but when I installed it my game got noticeably less stable. I have a bunch more mods installed and a not-high-end PC so it might just have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but I was wondering if it's caused problems for anyone else. I started a new game to test it and made a merged patch in FNVEdit and all that. If I have to choose between that and Classic Fallout Weapons well, actually I might delete CFW anyway.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Syrant posted:

Okay I'm going to bite the bullet, I've been trying to ignore it for a while now but the textures for the bodies of male and female raiders are screwy. With the men it's actually got a texture but I think it was meant to go on a non-vanilla male frame, the ones which really bother me are the female Type3 bodies for female fiends and tech raiders. It's the heinous pink error texture and I'm not sure where the game is trying to find the texture for the female raiders. I use Mod Organizer/LOOT etc.

I tried using Robert's Male Bodies but I always got the black-bar issue for male bodies and it just got to a point where I said gently caress it and disabled it. I took screens just for whatever help it might be posting them, I imagine most of you who would know how to help would already know what it looks like.

I'm wondering if this might be an issue between Fallout Character Overhaul and New Vegas Redesigned 3.

Did you remember to grab the textures for Type 3. If you're not using Exter's Type3 Body and Armor replacer, then you have to download the textures separately.

If you're fine with using FNVEdit to mod mods, then you look here to fix the compatability issues between the ESP and ESM from FCO and NVR3.

Though, if anyone has found a way to Robert's working alright through MO, I'd be might appreciative myself.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
So for those using the signature weapon/armor mod: is the new Vegas script enhancer used by it could intensive, I'm running on an older rig whose graphics card isn't the greatest and I'm on the edge as to whether to try it out next play through. I also don't run the enhanced file to use more then 2 gigs of ram.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

LEGO Genetics posted:

So for those using the signature weapon/armor mod: is the new Vegas script enhancer used by it could intensive, I'm running on an older rig whose graphics card isn't the greatest and I'm on the edge as to whether to try it out next play through. I also don't run the enhanced file to use more then 2 gigs of ram.

NVSE itself is barely uses any resources. It's also required for NVAC which drastically reduces the likelihood of crashes and like NVSE is does not use a lot of resources.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

2house2fly posted:

Does anyone use Micalov's Weapon Pack btw? I really like the look of the weapons but when I installed it my game got noticeably less stable.

No, it might actually be the mod. The problem with a lot of mod authors, especially with weapons/armor that are created by nifskoping, is that most of them aren't aware of all the little things that will cause crashes and instability when they make them. If you're not careful when you copy and paste parts around and such you can easily create what I call garbage strings and other oddities that WILL cause random crashes and such in the game. Over time I've learned to see the signs and avoid/correct them but I imagine most mod authors wouldn't have a clue.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006

First 9

GrizzlyCow posted:

Did you remember to grab the textures for Type 3. If you're not using Exter's Type3 Body and Armor replacer, then you have to download the textures separately.

If you're fine with using FNVEdit to mod mods, then you look here to fix the compatability issues between the ESP and ESM from FCO and NVR3.

Though, if anyone has found a way to Robert's working alright through MO, I'd be might appreciative myself.

I used that guide explicitly in setting up FNV for my new run, I've deleted the required things, installed what has been listed, no dice. Honestly I can just get over it but if it was something someone could kind of easily pick out I wanted to try and see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007

Syrant posted:

I used that guide explicitly in setting up FNV for my new run, I've deleted the required things, installed what has been listed, no dice. Honestly I can just get over it but if it was something someone could kind of easily pick out I wanted to try and see.

Also, not seeing a merge patch in your FNVEdit screenshot. Might just help.

I recall every time I mess around with new mods I make a new merge patch and there's always a number of FCO entries I have to manually fix ..