Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I found and installed a Yes Man companion mod, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to be compatible with remove companion limit mod I have installed. I assume the solution would be to find a better remove companion limit mod, as I just picked the first search result on the nexus. Is there one you would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I have a problem with freezes. I have around 50 mods active, I think, not home right now so going from memory. My game freezes sometimes, like once or twice per hour. Always when fast traveling or when running in the wasteland ( always outdoors). What is usually the cause?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Are you using NVAC?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Agents are GO! posted:

Are you using NVAC?

Yes :(

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Then I don't really know. The Skyrim memory fix got backported to NVSE, you might try that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Falukorv posted:

I have a problem with freezes. I have around 50 mods active, I think, not home right now so going from memory. My game freezes sometimes, like once or twice per hour. Always when fast traveling or when running in the wasteland ( always outdoors). What is usually the cause?
Are you using the default autosave or CASM?

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Paracelsus posted:

Are you using the default autosave or CASM?

Default, but I've turned off auto save and instead quick save regularly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Falukorv posted:

Default, but I've turned off auto save and instead quick save regularly.

If I remember correctly the quick save can be buggy as poo poo in a modded NV game as well.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah use CASM and not base quicksave.

Considering you get it outdoors on a fast travel or just running around, I'm wondering if the issue is when it tries to load a new outdoor cell and has problems. Textures or script-heavy mods could cause it. Maybe something weird like it tries to load a particular item every now and then and pow, crash, but that'd be hell to diagnose.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Echoing avoiding using quick saves/default autosaves. In these Bethesda games they are notorious for not saving data correctly and eventually breaking things. Damage may have already been done, but you could try using hard saves for a while and see if the situation doesn't improve over time. You could maybe force a few things to 'correct' by entering a non-respawning cell (player home) and resting for 30 days or whatever the NV respawn timer is.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm using Nevada Skies and as cool as the dust storms / rain storms are, can they be configured to be less frequent? I get about 20 seconds of clear sky before I'm hit with another storm that reduces my visibility to 3 feet for five hours and as soon as it stops I get a different storm or it's the middle of the night.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I played through Autumn Leaves and really enjoyed the quest design and detail! I loved that you could access every area that was inaccessible at first. I loved the collection quests. Loved the lore integration and it didn't gently caress up canon or throw OP plot rewards at the player (the perk rewards I hardly took, but they seemed to err on the side of underpowered, and printing the books from cards was a cute idea). Agreed that Rolland is the weakest character.

The mod REALLY shows that it's English as a Second Language unfortunately - it would have benefited from a native speaker tightening the dialogue and phrasing, again, especially for Rolland, who talks way too formally for a big ol' jerk.

I only had one crash to desktop out of probably 40 loads during the quest :v: I backtracked a lot.

Did anyone figure out how to 'REALLY' love Edward/Edgard/the creepy kid bot in the basement? I was scared to probe too deeply for that Optional quest marker.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint
On the topic of quick saves, is there a good CASM like alternative for them? Ever since I installed TTW doing one takes like 5 seconds and its breaking flow but I don't want to do the CASM hard saves or go with manual/no quicksaves either.

nexus6 posted:

I'm using Nevada Skies and as cool as the dust storms / rain storms are, can they be configured to be less frequent? I get about 20 seconds of clear sky before I'm hit with another storm that reduces my visibility to 3 feet for five hours and as soon as it stops I get a different storm or it's the middle of the night.

The mod adds a quest item to your inventory, equip it and a configuration menu should pop up where you can set the frequency of different weather types.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You should be able to use MCM to configure CASM to save less frequently if that's your thing. As far as I know there is effectively no other mod which does the same thing because, well, CASM does it.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Psion posted:

You should be able to use MCM to configure CASM to save less frequently if that's your thing. As far as I know there is effectively no other mod which does the same thing because, well, CASM does it.

What I mean is I'd like something that let's me press a hotkey to save to one fixed slot. With CASM you can hit F5 to make a hard save, but that creates a new save file every time you do it and I don't want the hassle of clearing those out all the time.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

SovietPotatoe posted:

On the topic of quick saves, is there a good CASM like alternative for them? Ever since I installed TTW doing one takes like 5 seconds and its breaking flow but I don't want to do the CASM hard saves or go with manual/no quicksaves either.

The mod adds a quest item to your inventory, equip it and a configuration menu should pop up where you can set the frequency of different weather types.

Yeah, I thought I'd try that. It's not really that clear how to use it though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nexus6 posted:

You're probably using Project Nevada too, right? PN changes the timescale so days are a little longer, and that absolutely fucks up Nevada Skies weather systems. The solution I found was to force a certain number of days between storms using the mod's ingame utility. So you don't get the weather changes as often, but you don't walk out into radstorms every five minutes.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SovietPotatoe posted:

What I mean is I'd like something that let's me press a hotkey to save to one fixed slot. With CASM you can hit F5 to make a hard save, but that creates a new save file every time you do it and I don't want the hassle of clearing those out all the time.
Nope. Only the auto/incremental saves can be set to cycle. Gotta do it manually. Make a shortcut on your desktop to your saves directory. Pop it open when you can be arsed to remember, sort by date, and drag-highlight the last half of the list/delete. Sucks, but the solution takes about a minute to setup, and 10 seconds for maintenance.

Shame CASM doesn't have the feature though. The counter-part on Skyrim can be setup to work the way you want, but CASM has mostly been allowed to languish. I just set the auto/incremental saves to be a bit more frequent, and actually go into the vanilla game menus to make hard saves. What's a quicksave?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I think the older CASM without MCM actually allows you to set F5 or whatever to incremental saves so you have a rotating but not endless rotation of saves but the MCM version removed that functionality for whatever reason.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Zeron posted:

I think the older CASM without MCM actually allows you to set F5 or whatever to incremental saves so you have a rotating but not endless rotation of saves but the MCM version removed that functionality for whatever reason.

Yep, that's what I'm doing and why I'm not using the mcm version.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

You're probably using Project Nevada too, right? PN changes the timescale so days are a little longer, and that absolutely fucks up Nevada Skies weather systems. The solution I found was to force a certain number of days between storms using the mod's ingame utility. So you don't get the weather changes as often, but you don't walk out into radstorms every five minutes.

Nope, but I will try the in-game utility again though. It's kinda cool the first time you see a huge dust storm clear suddenly to blue skies then immediately darken again and start raining, but it gets irritated when that become almost the default weather.

Makes for some awesome sights though

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Nov 24, 2015

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I never got too far in my first play of this game (Basically to the Strip and no further) about 3 years ago, so all the Fallout 4 stuff motivated me to pick it back up. I've had a pretty fun time of it so far. That said I just ran into my first group of Legion Assassins and ugh. These guys kill me in about 6 seconds, during which I can't even scratch them. I think I knocked off about 4 healthbars on one with my shotgun before dying, if I stick with my usual handguns/rifles I'm lucky to do any damage that even registers, they seem to have DR out the rear end. Even the few times I've run into areas I've been obviously underleveled for I've felt less outclassed than this. Are there decent mods for changing (or just removing) these bozos?

Yeah, that's a known bug where low tier assassin squads have the highest tier enemies. Standalone fix mod at http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43030/

Jsawyer corrects this, though you probably don't want that for your first run.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 25, 2015

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Doing a someguy series run, having trouble getting the orphanage quest from The Inheritance to trigger. Got the two Fiend related quests, but no dice for this one. I'd honestly take a "setstage" command solution at this point.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Open it up in FNV edit, look up the quest your need to start, go from there.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Didn't even know I still had that program laying around, but it turns out I did. Thanks!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Here's something I created for Lombard Station. In 2012(!), King of Swag realized the original Lombard was screwing people out of 20ga shells everytime they sorted, and fixed it and posted a fixed version. However his version replaced the original esp file, so it didn't work with the TTW version that Davoren posted in February of this year, and Davoren's version contains the original screwed up script. Anyhow, long story short, I made a version of the patch that actually is a patch and just overrides the original script. It requires Gun Runners Aresenal too because gently caress you, buy it.

Download my patch here.

Edit: To be little clearer, this patch works with either version of Lombard Station, and it's a seperate ESP, not a replacer.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I installed Tale of Two Wastelands the other night, first time I've played NV or FO3 since they came out, and good lord, were super mutants always this tough? My plan was to restore Galaxy News Radio and then find my way over to the Mojave, but DC is terrifying right now, and I have no idea how I'd tackle a building full of supermutants to get the radio stuff. They're literally taking a full mag of 30 shots from my laser pistol, don't seem to take any extra damage from lining up VATS headshots, and barely feel it when I tickle them with my combat knife -- this thing has killed most raiders in 2-3 swipes, for comparison. 3 of them ambushed me when I popped out of the subway near the Museum of Technology, and I had to blow almost all the fuel for the Incinerator I found to slowly murder them, ducking back into the subway to heal a couple times. I think a big part of it is the armor -- they keep getting the little red shield icon by their name whenever I attack them.

I'm level 6 right now, with about 55 skill in energy weapons and melee, and I haven't explored much except for the Arefu quests and making my way to the GNR plaza. Is there anything easily accessible that I can use to punch through their armor?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Welcome to Damage Threshold. Where Supermutants are absolute bastards just like the Mojave.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I think TTW comes with an ESP to make super mutants less beefy. You should probably use that, since they're all over the place in FO3.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I have FWE edition and super mutants were really hard until I got a silenced assault rifle and a really nice sniper rifle. I still have to line up two rounds of VATS for sneak crits with the former, but the sniper will kill in one hit on a sneak headshot.

Getting into a firefight with anything is actually pretty lethal. Even a raider can still gib me in seconds if I let them see me.

Oh, and use drugs constantly. I'm constantly hopped up on +25% damage, +5 luck, +2 perception + 2 agility because of all the different drugs they put in.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I've barely got any drugs yet, despite hitting the Super Duper Mart for Moira, and I've used most of what I have as I've been going. I wasn't planning to use small guns, but I do still have some of the stuff from the add-on packs that gets dumped on you at the start. I just haven't found it very effective with only ~20 gun skill -- the sturdy caravan shotgun barely did any damage when I tried it out in non-VATS, and the supermutant I stole the Incinerator off of took like 4 grenades from the grenade launcher. Is there anything in Rivet City that does a lot of energy or melee damage? I just popped up at Anacostia Station, which I think is right by there.

Where do I find the super mutant fix? It doesn't seem to be on their website.

(As an aside, I already remember how much I hate the loving subways chopping DC into pieces. The map is loving useless, because even if you're right next to where you're going, there might be an impassable wall that stretches the length of the little zone you're in, and you have to somehow navigate these identical-looking tunnels filled with ghouls and not much else and figure out which door to the surface gets you closer to where you want. The trek to the Museum of Technology took so long underground I was sure I was off the trail, and I kept following these BOS Mall Outpost markers only to lose track of them shortly before popping up at the Museum, and now I want to double-back and figure out where they were.)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The super mutant fix is one of the optional files you can install when you first set it up. I'm not sure if it's available otherwise

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

2house2fly posted:

The super mutant fix is one of the optional files you can install when you first set it up. I'm not sure if it's available otherwise

It is, in game, if you have MCM installed ..

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Is this mod any good? It sounds interesting, but I've already heard about the problems caused by The Right To Bear Arms, and am worried it causes them as well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What problems does Right To Bear Arms cause? I've been using the one you linked with no issues, so far at least. You can get gecko-backed armour off random scrubs and the nail gun gets put in the hands of low-level moods where it belongs.

Edit: I've previously used this one and think it's pretty decent: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/47880/
it doesn't add armour or items, just weapons, but it adds LAERs to the Mojave.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 28, 2015

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

It does something really screwy with Spice of Life and a few other mods that change level lists

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

2house2fly posted:

What problems does Right To Bear Arms cause? I've been using the one you linked with no issues, so far at least. You can get gecko-backed armour off random scrubs and the nail gun gets put in the hands of low-level moods where it belongs.

Edit: I've previously used this one and think it's pretty decent: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/47880/
it doesn't add armour or items, just weapons, but it adds LAERs to the Mojave.

A right to bear arms has its levelled lists done in a really screwy way that breaks basically every mod you run alongside it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

adding by script is far far less reversible compared to merging leveled lists and i hate that it became a stupid loving trend

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Right to Bear Arms doesn't add by script, but how it sets up it's levelled lists is really bizarre, compared to how the base game and pretty much every other mod does it.

And Adding to Leveled Lists via Script became a thing because many Nexus users are whiny and stupid and don't want to figure out Wrye Flash/FNVEdit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Ok, so I read some people say to use FOMM, some to use Nexus Mod Manager and some to say use Mod Organizer. In trying them all out I appear to have broken my mods so that they don't load correctly anymore. Do I have to start from scratch and just pick one?

It seems that Mod Organizer has done something to break everything because before then I was swapping between FOMM and NMM.