Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BSAKat posted:

That's what I figured. Unfortunately, the readme documentation is pretty sparse when it comes to any advice or recommendation regarding conflicts or load order. I'll keep dicking around with it.

I just took a closer look at your picture and I think I might know the problem: You're supposed to pick either the .223 version (uses 5.56 ammo and repairs with service rifles) or the .44 magnum version (uses .44 magnum ammo and repairs with, well, .44 magnums). Since they both affect the same gun and you have both checked off the game is probably throwing a hissy fit and not changing it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missingno
Nov 5, 2009

yyeeahhh.. Realliity just got messsssed uyp

Capn Beeb posted:

When you get locked into a serious gun mod collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can:

I need an AK next I think :ussr:

I know I sound like an idiot, but how do you display the guns all nice like on the wall?

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

Missingno posted:

I know I sound like an idiot, but how do you display the guns all nice like on the wall?

There's possibly other ways to do it but the Underground Hideout mod that's in the OP has a display wall that does that.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Heti posted:

There's possibly other ways to do it but the Underground Hideout mod that's in the OP has a display wall that does that.

Yea but are you manually putting those up there with the z key or whatever? I thought only specific guns could be displayed on the wall

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
If you put a unique version of a gun up there it displays that.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Missingno posted:

Heti posted:

Underground Hideout does it, but it will only put non-modded weapons on the wall. For stuff with visible weapon mods/weapons that you got from the nexus/wherever, you'll need this:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38625

WARNING! :siren: feng shui is seriously god drat addictive :siren: I fiddled with it for HOURS back in Fallout 3.

Hours. :pwn:

Missingno
Nov 5, 2009

yyeeahhh.. Realliity just got messsssed uyp
oh god....

This will be a delight for my neurotic tendencies....
thank you.
Content: Im getting sick of seeing all the decaying road signs. how would I go about modding them to look newer/ have new locations?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Arenovalis posted:

workin' on the anti-mat rifle

v.early

At this rate you'll be done with all of the weapons by April!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Cowcaster posted:

I just took a closer look at your picture and I think I might know the problem: You're supposed to pick either the .223 version (uses 5.56 ammo and repairs with service rifles) or the .44 magnum version (uses .44 magnum ammo and repairs with, well, .44 magnums). Since they both affect the same gun and you have both checked off the game is probably throwing a hissy fit and not changing it at all.

Just checked it out and it doesn't make a difference. With either one active, it's still called "That Gun", does 17 DAM and 80 DPS. This has to be a load order problem.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
What's an easy way to merge several mods at once? I seem to remember F3Edit being able to do it back in the day but I can't remember the process and my googlefu has failed me.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

BSAKat posted:

Just checked it out and it doesn't make a difference. With either one active, it's still called "That Gun", does 17 DAM and 80 DPS. This has to be a load order problem.

Try putting it last on the load order. That should overwrite anything.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So hey, I realize this has probably been asked before, but where can I find a mod that makes hacking/lock-picking straight skill checks? The minigames are fun, but not the 1,000,000th time you've done them.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Naky posted:

What's an easy way to merge several mods at once? I seem to remember F3Edit being able to do it back in the day but I can't remember the process and my googlefu has failed me.

Somebody is going to scold me for this and tell me this causes conflicts or is the wrong way to do it because you should be using some iteration of Wrye Bash instead:

1. Open up FNVEdit.
2. Check whatever plugins you want to merge (they will all be checked by default.)
3. Check OK and allow them all to load.
4. When it's finished, right click somewhere on the left screen, where all of the plugins are listed. Select "Create Merged Patch" (the option is about halfway down the list) and see if FNVEdit decides to create merge the mods you selected.
5. Make sure the merged patch loads AFTER every mod it concerns.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Somebody is going to scold me for this and tell me this causes conflicts or is the wrong way to do it because you should be using some iteration of Wrye Bash instead:

1. Open up FNVEdit.
2. Check whatever plugins you want to merge (they will all be checked by default.)
3. Check OK and allow them all to load.
4. When it's finished, right click somewhere on the left screen, where all of the plugins are listed. Select "Create Merged Patch" (the option is about halfway down the list) and see if FNVEdit decides to create merge the mods you selected.
5. Make sure the merged patch loads AFTER every mod it concerns.

Ah yes, now I remember it and feel silly for asking. And it should be just fine - it's just several separate single weapon mods I'd simply like to merge together. None of them even have scripts so I should be fine.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Nycticeius posted:

Try putting it last on the load order. That should overwrite anything.

Hah, that did it. Thanks. So, wow, that's quite a difference in power there. Kinda silly that it's still a revolver, though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

T-man posted:

So hey, I realize this has probably been asked before, but where can I find a mod that makes hacking/lock-picking straight skill checks? The minigames are fun, but not the 1,000,000th time you've done them.

This one is pretty neat:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38188

You hold Z and start hacking/picking, and if your skill is high enough the terminal/lock opens :)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

BSAKat posted:

Hah, that did it. Thanks. So, wow, that's quite a difference in power there. Kinda silly that it's still a revolver, though.

The original gun in FO1/2 was a revolver too, as was the movie prop that it itself was based on, made from various parts of a .223 rifle no less :v:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Capn Beeb posted:

This one is pretty neat:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38188

You hold Z and start hacking/picking, and if your skill is high enough the terminal/lock opens :)

I saw that one, but don't really like the whole "critical failure" thing. I was hoping for something more like that one fallout 3 one that made the game harder that I completely forgot the name to :shobon:.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

The original gun in FO1/2 was a revolver too, as was the movie prop that it itself was based on, made from various parts of a .223 rifle no less :v:

Oh, I knew the Bladerunner Detective's Special was a revolver, but I thought the .223 pistol was, in FO1/2, a cut-down .223 semi-auto rifle. Eh, doesn't matter. Now I can blow holes in things alllllllllll day! :haw:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
And look like a badass reloading it, too.

e: Reloading that Paintball Gun.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I just posted a quick tutorial on converting FO3 files to FO:NV in the FAQ section, since I've been finding it very useful for throwing some of the nicer armors into NV. Since it's not a painfully obvious technique, I figured other people could benefit from looking it over if they have no idea how to strip FO3 master data from their mods.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Capn Beeb posted:

Underground Hideout does it, but it will only put non-modded weapons on the wall. For stuff with visible weapon mods/weapons that you got from the nexus/wherever, you'll need this:

WARNING! :siren: feng shui is seriously god drat addictive :siren: I fiddled with it for HOURS back in Fallout 3.

Fantastic.

Does anyone know of any mods that will let me add a movable light source as an object? Say for instance a lamp or candle?

My house could use some more light sources.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Capn Beeb posted:

no

NO

NO

DO NOT DO THIS TO ME :gonk:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Fantastic.

Does anyone know of any mods that will let me add a movable light source as an object? Say for instance a lamp or candle?

My house could use some more light sources.

Glowsticks!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

rope kid posted:

If you open the GECK, load up the core master .esm, the pre-order .esm and the mod, you should be able to just look at the Caravan Shotgun, open the pre-order Caravan Shotgun, and set the .nifs/models to be the same as the mod's settings. Then save it to your own .esp, close GECK, run the launcher, add your .esp to the data, and run the game.
Actually the Caravan Shotgun retex wasn't an .esp, it was just the .dds files in a folder. So I found out what the Sturdy needed and made folders and renamed everything. Put the files in Data\Textures\NVDLCPre3\Weapons\2handrifle and renamed the files to 1stpersonpreordshotgun.dds and 3rdpersonpreordshotgun.dds (along with those "_n") files and it worked.

Also added the Challenge/Perk Fixes mod so it would work with Shotgun Surgeon and such.
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37931

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So I modded the YCS/186 to have a 5 round clip, and only use one ammunition per shot. For some reason this made my game freeze for a brief second after every shot I take with the YCS, the gently caress? Oh, I also made it disintegrate stuff, would this matter?

Doesn't seem to be a specific problem, though it only happens with the gun, I'm getting these little jitters and stutters just walking around as well. I have the stutter remover, as well as the LAA. I have a pretty powerful setup so I don't think I should be having problems, any good performance tweaks that don't affect the look of the game?

Brace fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 4, 2011

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You're probably referring to this mod, which allows you to do this in FO3. The author is currently working on a port for NV, but it hasn't been released yet.

There is also this mod: Companion Commander which lets you recruit any NPC you want. Though I have not used it personally so I can't really vouch for it.

Brace posted:

And is there any way to tell forsure if that LAA 3gb limit remover is actually working? It ran through the patch or whatever fine, but I wanna be able to make sure.
Download the "Editbin Optional Package" from the mod page of the LAA enabler. And then use the dumpbin command on the modified executable, irrc it is something like:

dumpbin /headers FalloutNV.exe

You should see a large amount of lines being printed on the console, scroll up to the very top, you should see
code:
Dump of file FalloutNV.exe

PE signature found

File Type: EXECUTABLE IMAGE

FILE HEADER VALUES
             14C machine (i386)
               8 number of sections
        4CFDF842 time date stamp Tue Dec 07 04:02:58 2010
               0 file pointer to symbol table
               0 number of symbols
              E0 size of optional header
             122 characteristics
                   Executable
              ---->Application can handle large (>2GB) addresses<----
                   32 bit word machine
The line that I marked above, a non LAA enabled executable won't have that line.

lethial fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 4, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Arenovalis posted:

workin' on the anti-mat rifle

v.early

Excellent. Can’t wait for this one.

Do you have any plans to retexture the preorder weapons, like the Weathered 10mm Pistol and the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Terpfen posted:

Do you have any plans to retexture the preorder weapons, like the Weathered 10mm Pistol and the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun?
Look at my post a few posts up, you can use his regular CS retex for the Sturdy. A new alternate retex would be pretty cool though.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Do you like to carry a lot of stuff around?

Do you like collecting many versions of the same thing, different only in cosmetic variations? How about if we add in different shapes and capacities? Like Pokemon, but instead of fighting, they ride on your back and hold poo poo!

Click here for the full 800x597 image.

Pictured are all the backpacks I tested. All of them have full physics, although the slave packs don't have the right worldmodel, and I'm not going to do one, so.. sorry?

Hey, Here's one of the four primary variant backpacks you can expect to see riding around on the backs of the NCR troops, a skin I got from fellow forum goon, Staberind:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

and here are the two versions I did for the Legion:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Anyway, I am digging around, building my zip file and will upload a test version here in a bit. All playable! My initial test version will have a lovely cheat case with everything in it, all renamed from what they were before - this pack contains stuff from three different backpack mods, Blackwolf, Military Backpacks New Vegas, and KDS' Wearable backpacks - but the only one required to get this working will be Military Backpacks, New Vegas.

Vitriol fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 4, 2011

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

BSAKat posted:

Oh, I knew the Bladerunner Detective's Special was a revolver, but I thought the .223 pistol was, in FO1/2, a cut-down .223 semi-auto rifle. Eh, doesn't matter. Now I can blow holes in things alllllllllll day! :haw:

The description was a cut-down .223 rifle, the icon was just of Deckard's revolver. You're right in both cases so just pretend it was a .223 revolving rifle.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
All righty then! Here's version 2 of my backpack integration mod!

First off,
33 megs? really?

yeah. sorry? I'm going to optimize this down, getting rid of everything I don't need to include, but I'm still fighting it, and have yet to optimize or tweak anything for size. There is a crapton of duplicated stuff in here that the other mod provides, and I have yet to get my poo poo together. you should have been here when I uploaded it. Twice. (I lost the link to it the first time.)

What do I need to get this working then?

This mod: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36423

Install it, and only load the .esm file. That other stuff will be included in my version, and will only cause heartache right now.

Then dump that fuckton load of files in my 7z file into your nv data folder, go hang out in an interior cell for about 3 game days, and go wander around and see what's up!

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS poo poo IN-GAME?
well, there is a carefully placed trunk labled "Armor Trunk" in front of the goodsprings store that has all of the packs for you to take and use, but if you want to buy them, Chet has a few, the Quartermaster in Forlorn Hope has the NCR versions, and the gun-runner's Vendertron has all the other variants. If you want a legion pack, go shoot some legion dudes wearing one. They DESERVE it.

ahem.

You may also spot some wandering wasteland explorers with packs, and the wandering merchants will have them, as do Crimson Caravaneers you may find. But if you want to buy one from them, you are poo poo OUTTA LUCK! AKA: I don't know where the wandering merchants keep their sales loot, or I would add packs to them. help?

Wait, why don't ALL the people you said should have packs I dunno, have packs?
Because I did build in a chance that they won't have a pack. Also, not all the troopers are built from the same templates I modified. Oh, if you have a mod that modifies templates for characters, this might gently caress it up. Sorry?

ANYHOO, have at it! give me feedback here, or email me directly @ Vitriolic@gmail.com. (put 'your backpack mod sucks, fag!' in the email title please.)

If you want to do a skin for a pack variant, feel free! I can include them later on.

Also, right now there are a few spelling errors, I am planning on changing the names around to things like "Kid's backpack" "Daypack" "Hiking pack" etc, so that will be happening, too.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Man, this recon mod is great:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=37228

I went with the version that doesn't jam the optic into your eye, so I've just got my sunglasses on with night vision and thermal imaging. I've got bullet time and a grenade hot key as well, along with a suppressed M4. I throw some dynamite to get dudes to come investigate and poo poo gets all slow mo and :zaeed:

Loving this poo poo :) Is there a mod that adds noisemakers? Using dynamite seems a bit excessive.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Syrant posted:

The description was a cut-down .223 rifle, the icon was just of Deckard's revolver. You're right in both cases so just pretend it was a .223 revolving rifle.

I'm a huge pedantic nerdburger extreme for dragging on the conversation even as long as I did but I just need to clarify by mentioning what I meant was that the prop used for Deckard's revolver itself was made from bits from a .223 rifle (and a revolver).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

King Doom posted:

How the hell do you use the GECK to find a quest ID? I was downloading skins to try and get a character that doesn't look like a retarded potato that was attacked by wasps and I've found one that looks okay, but it gave me a retarded quest I can't get rid of and I'd really like to know where the gently caress they hid the quest ID's to make the cunting thing go away. I've been trying to work it out for about an hour and I'm about ready to stab someone.
1. Open the GECK and go to File -> Data...
2. Double-click FalloutNV.esm to select it and also whichever mod you're working on, then click "Set Active File" with the mod's .esp selected so it writes to that file.
3. Go here:

4. Note that that numeric ID field likes to collapse itself, at least on my monitor.
5. Delete as desired, save changes

OR, since you just want to cut out that part of the mod,
1. Open FNVEdit, make sure that mod is in the list of stuff to load.
2. Go straight to that mod in the list on the left, find the quest, right-click and delete
3. Save!

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
So I'm not far in the game and using Goodsprings as my dump location (pushed some crates near to the benches) do I get a hideout at any point? Now that I've installed FengShui I need some space to create man.

I had a look at the Underground Hideout, but it seems a bit too overpowered so early. Is there something a little simpler? Otherwise I'll just use Harpers Shack as my go to.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The game starts throwing hideouts at you in earnest after a few hours.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mister Bung posted:

So I'm not far in the game and using Goodsprings as my dump location (pushed some crates near to the benches) do I get a hideout at any point? Now that I've installed FengShui I need some space to create man.

Yeah. Get into New Vegas strip and the events should happen to you automatically pretty much.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
Cool beans, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Is there a mod to be a ghoul? Not strictly character model replacement, but that'd be a good start.