Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

rope kid posted:

Here is the way the conversations go:

SOME PLAYER: "Energy Weapons suck a laser pistol should disintegrate your whole body if the beam grazes your finger."

ME: "Hmm, I see, but then why would anyone tag Guns instead of Energy Weapons?"

SOME PLAYER: "Because Energy Weapons are rare and there's no ammo for them."

ME: "Then won't you spend a lot of the game walking around not using the skill you tagged, much like the original Fallout?"

SOME PLAYER: "JUST RETURN ENERGY WEAPONS TO THEIR FORMER HOLY GLORY, POINDEXTER."

If weapon skills were organized around different criteria (e.g. firing mode, combat style, whatever), EWs could just "be better" and it wouldn't really affect balance because there wouldn't be a skill dedicated to them from the get-go.

I could see that working, organize weapons into categories like pistols, rifles, shotguns, snipers, etc. If somebody is a quick draw with the Big Iron on his hip, it makes sense that they'd also be just as quick on the draw with a laser pistol, only with with less recoil. Likewise, a cold as ice sniper doesn't forget how to pull a trigger just because it fires plasma instead of JHP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Does anyone have a good tutorial handy for making new clothes and armor for New Vegas? Most importantly I want to try my hand at picking apart existing ones and use the pieces to make some new stuff. That seems like it wouldn't be too terribly hard, but having no experience in 3D I have no idea.

There's a beginner's tutorial on the Bethesda Geck page. http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Main_Page The Nexus also has a few tutorials on their wiki, but they're a bit more scattershot.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I thought I put a disclaimer in there about that mod, but apparently I didn't. What you are experiencing with the Monster Mod is perfectly normal. The mod, itself, has transformed into a big, bloated loving mess, and the author seems perfectly incapable of balancing things out. Avoid using it until somebody carves it to pieces and plays with the numbers.

You could just edit the OP, since there are still a bunch of goons fresh off the summer Sale looking for SA approved mods. And RTFOP doesn't work if the OP is recommending a lovely mod.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 25, 2012

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Cheston posted:

Begin again. Let go.

I've been playing Honest Hearts for the first time. (Well, all of the DLCs, first playthrough since launch.) The Survivalist's journals are... intense.

February 14th
They ate them.

And then you read everything after, and it's not like him writing "I think I should just blow my brains out right now" (which he does write at an entirely different point). You can see how he writes and feel how dead he is inside because he becomes so very direct and methodical.

It's been awhile since I was reminded how powerful text can be in games. Like, I don't really care much about fetching supplies but this stuff is good.

If you haven't already played it head over to Aerotech Office Park and start The Coyotes quest. It's mostly just reading a journal and getting second hand info. But God Damned if I didn't believe in the cleansing power of flame after that.