Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave

Demerzel posted:

Oh blah, I just wanted something simple, not wrapped in a mod manager. I tried using FOMM and it just broke poo poo, it's not that hard to keep track of mods manually and I even have like 15 of them.

That's like saying you took the engine out of your car because it was too complicated and you already had four wheels anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks again Arenovalis, your work is so much more than mere retexture.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Anything like "What's Your Brand" or "Better Booze" out for FNV yet? It seems like either of those mods would be really simple to convert to FNV (with the exception of WYB hand-replacing every cigarette pack/carton in the game with an appropriate brand) so I'm kind of surprised that they haven't, to my knowledge, been done yet.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

That sounds incredible. Thanks for devoting all this work for the community. I've made a habit of collecting every weapon in the game and I just need more.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Naky, attempting to install your FOMOD via FOMM is making it crash :(
It doesn't even give me a specific error, just a "something bad happened" message. Judging by the thread I may be the only one having this problem, any idea what it might me?

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Well, attempting to open the file with Winrar gives me an "archive is in unknown format or damaged" error. I'll download 7zip and try it, though.

Edit:
"Cannot read file as an archive" in 7zip. I downloaded several different copies of the file just to make sure my download didn't get corrupted somehow, same thing on all of them.

Here's the FOMM crash dump, if it helps.

Monday, March 21, 2011 - 3:03:21 PM
Fomm 0.13.21
OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1

System.ArgumentException: Unrecognized file format.
Parameter name: p_strPath
at Fomm.PackageManager.FomodBuilder.FomodFromSourceBuilder.BuildFomodFromSource(String p_strPath, NexusAPI p_nxaNexus)
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.AddNewFomod(String p_strPath)
at Fomm.PackageManager.PackageManager.addFOMODToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

MadPierrot fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 21, 2011

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for releasing the 7zip version, Naky. I tried installing straight from the FOMM Mods folder and no dice. I don't know what the issue is, as the previous version I had worked like a charm. Eagerly anticipating seeing the new progress.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Naky, i got your mod working and it's amazing. It has practically everything I want/need, but if I could get some CZ handguns and maybe a Vis pistol, it would be even better.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

I may have just not come across it in the leveled lists, but does The Armory include a Galil and the Israeli-style FN FAL? I know models of those existed, at least for FO3.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Arenovalis posted:

I need to get a life >___<

(everything is work in progress)
Contender model by ArmchairOdin, KABAR model by me, Mauser C96 model by Ben Bolton.

Arenovalis, if you're interested you should eventually do a retexture for this http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39732
it's a nice model but it desperately needs your touch.

Edit:
well actually on close inspection the model is uglier than I first thought.

MadPierrot fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 28, 2011

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

New Vegas Configurator seems to have been taken down from the Nexus.

edit: Nope, I'm an idiot. It's actually spelled Configator.

MadPierrot fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 28, 2011

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Three hours or so logged into New Vegas Bounties II and it has a couple issues. That's to be assumed since it was just uploaded but just chiming in to recommend people not to download it until the next update comes around. Also, I would advise you both to play the first one beforehand and run through it with a high level character. It's tied into the original with more than a few storyline strands, and it's really, really hard. What I have played so far though has been extremely well-done, storyline and design-wise, and I like the new bounty system (wanted posters) a lot better.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Also Naky, the AKM and the AKMS have the same model/mesh (in my game at least) when I'm assuming the AKMS should have a folding stock. The stats seem to support this since the AKMS weighs less.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Is the latest version of the Armory going to include any updates or additions to the leveled lists?

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

I'm getting a weird bug with WAR in that the one-handed pistol animation is... well, not one-handed. I've reinstalled it several times so it has to be some sort of glitch, but the animation for iron sights and hip-firing is exactly the same one of raising the gun two-handed to eye level.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Well, two-handed in the sense that the character is holding the pistol grip and then securing the bottom with the other hand- I believe the actual term is "teacupping." So it's only funny in the sense that the animation is really jarring when my gun arm goes from my hip to suddenly in a two-handed shooting stance with no transition.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

I'm fairly sure I've installed the main files as well as the optional stances (the relaxed stance and the low pistol hold) but to tell you the truth I find the layout of the WAR files on Nexus confusing and I may have gone without downloading something I likely should have.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Really looking forward to WMX updating itself so I can use the new Brush Gun and Trail Carbine textures--they look fantastic.

In other news, tfc 1 can capture some real gems every now and then.

The Falling Powder Ganger?

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Hey Naky...
I just tried out the latest build of the Armory, it's fantastic. No bugs other than some weird animations, probably because of a botched install of WAR. I'm glad you fulfilled my request of adding some Galils, the Schmidt-Rubin rifle and the Israeli variant of the FN FAL- the models and textures used look great. My only problem is that a few of the guns added seem to be sort of large- the Beretta Px5 I think is a good example of this- and a couple have some bad models or textures. The Stechkin and Winchester 1894 come to mind as guns that could use some tweaking in those departments.
Other than that, it's a great build and complete with the added modkits it adds so much to the game. I'll be anticipating the next release.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Patrols can take away from some of the atmosphere because there are so many roaming about, it feels less like a wasteland. That may be your cup of tea though; I originally liked the idea of there being a lot of travel across the wasteland, and still do, but some roads should remain isolated or there should at least be a few camps to explain why there are, for example, like eight Legion guys just wandering around in the mountains south of Novac.

EDIT: Actually I think that's the problem with IWS as a whole. It sort of just blanket-increases spawns everywhere, which adds obviously a lot of NPCs but kind of hurts the immersion. It would be interesting to get into the guts of it in GECK and see if you could make things dynamic, like have sparse spawns in certain areas and heavy ones in others. Right now as far as I know the modules just increase all spawns by their respective amounts (Low, Medium, Big)

MadPierrot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 29, 2011

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

It would be a really cool goon project to try and add some sort of depth to the Powder Gangers, or just Goodsprings in general. I'm sure a lot of people (myself included) would love to play an outlaw if it was a little more interesting and viable.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Naky posted:

Make Goodsprings upgradeable. Invest in it to add more stores/services, clean up the busted abandoned buildings, recruit NPCs from other settlements to take up residents, hire protection for it, etc. It'd be fun, I think.

Exactly. Maybe even get a sheriff for Goodsprings much like you can get one for Primm (in fact, if you use Primm Slim instead of Myers, give him the ability to become Goodsprings sheriff). Actually, now that I think about it, why not have the player be able to become sheriff?
And on the opposite end add a layer of civil war within the Powder Gangers so it would be possible for the player to take control of them and take them in a number of different directions.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Starting an evil playthrough I was pretty dissatisfied with Ghost Town Gunfight/Run Goodsprings Run. I really wanted to have the ability to pit Goodsprings and the Powder Gangers against each other for my own personal benefits. I didn't really like the motivations of Cobb or the gang, and I thought it'd be better if you could (in the event of helping Cobb) actually run Goodsprings as your own town, or at least be able to kill Ringo and intimidate the townspeople into accepting it. I guess I just wanted more options besides killing all the Powder Gangers or killing all of Goodsprings (including the Doc). How hard would it be to mod in some other outcomes for those quests?

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

It's not a bad quest by any means, but the replay value is pretty limited by the fact that you're more or less stuck with killing the Powder Gangers or killing the town. Part of the problem is that making the quest more interesting by adding skill checks is not really a viable option for early players, but the ability to play things more subtly- selling out Ringo, for example, or preparing the Goodsprings settlers and playing pied piper to the Powder Gangers by leading them into a trap would make it so much more interesting.

I was mostly just upset that you can't just kill Ringo and let the problem disappear without anymore bloodshed, or better yet there being an actual outcome to letting the Powder Gangers take over other than having half the townspeople dead.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Does anyone know where I can find some of the materials for the craftable mods added by WMX? They're stocked by vendors but they're always expensive as hell and usually there's only one or two of them (Seven in-game days and I have only seen the blade blank and the hardwood block of wood).

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Project Reality with NMC and Director's Chair has been fine for me so far. But the more I play, the more I do realize that Gamebryo games are simply very, very ugly.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Here is a good mod:
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40263

Light My Flare adds a number of road flares that you can buy from vendors. It's awesome, and they definitely come in handy if you're using a mod that darkens night. I don't like any of that night vision goggle stuff- it makes nights basically much less tense for me- and it seems a little cooler than a flashlight. You can drop the flares on the ground and they can stay lit as well. It seems to be related to a similar torch mod that I remember Oblivion having.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

You can also use them as shotgun ammunition.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Also someone made a bullpup reload animation resource.

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40365

Thought this could possibly help you, Naky.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

I've never used a bullpup rifle so I guess I didn't know that! Sorry, I always assumed that Gamebryo had goofy problems with bullpups and no one had ever fixed it.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Don't download World of Pain. It started out as a decent dungeon crawl exercise but it's since become one of the most bloated mods on the Nexus, full of useless, overpowered and imbalanced crap.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

What would I have to do in the GECK to add the clothes from Fallout 3 to the leveled lists in New Vegas?

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

The frankensteined guns from AGSU are really neat but as with most :nexus: mods they could use a little polish. Those textures in particular, jesus christ...

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

You know what would be great for F:NV?

More western guns.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Apparently the Westside Restoration mod on the :siren: FRONT PAGE :siren: of Nexus just removes a ton of rusty car hulks and garbage. Guess I was just expecting something more. Removing a lot of the junk that populates the urban areas really makes them look empty and unnatural.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

If FOOK were more modular I'd be using that poo poo in a heartbeat.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

The FO3 version wasn't either. I don't know, but it makes it extremely buggy and crash-prone. I think people were discussing this earlier, so I don't want to tread the same ground, but Arenovalis is on the team, maybe he can voice some concerns.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

EVE is the most crash-prone mod for New Vegas that I have ever used next to that horrible WARZONES piece of poo poo and we should really add a section to the OP for mods that look promising but are actually complete nightmares to run. I'm not exaggerating when I say that WARZONES gave me a crash every time I loaded a new cell or spawns reset and the fact that the only way to run EVE is to use an alternative version speaks volumes about the guy who made it.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

I'm making a mod that replaces all the cigarette cartons and packs in the game with real life brands. I would probably already be finished if the GECK wasn't so crash-happy and I saved more often :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

Yes, except the biggest difference is that that one is just a texture replacer. This one will hand-place different brands so all the cigarettes in the game aren't one brand. There was a mod exactly like this for FO3 and I really liked it, and since it's been almost eight months since that guy updated I decided I'd get off my rear end and do something about it.