Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
If you liked:
Binoculars Overhaul (allowed you to replace the zoom key with a binocular, added new binoculars)
DK Bullet Time
Companion Disguises
Grenade Hotkey
Extended Repair Kits
the Sprint Mod
Timescale adjusting
and Container Sorting

Boy, The Vmods Suite mod is for you!

Using NVSE one mod now does all the above things, and runs via one menu hotkey for setup. You can configure all the different parts on or off. I'm not using the Timescale mod, companion disguises, or the Container sorting mod, as I have other stuff for timescale, don't care about the others.

Basically this works pretty well, and is easy to use.

Also, I am still working on the backpack integration thing - it slowed down when I built my Tazering ED-E, and I am currently working my way along with a mod for the Primm Sheriff quest, but I should have some time to do more on this next week.

Vitriol fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
okay, I'm back working on my patch that would integrate appropriate backpacks on appropriate people across the wasteland, all happily lootable. Right now I am anticipating it will remain an extension of this mod just because I really like some of the aspects of it

BUT

The "special forces" version of this pack is missing a world model, so dropping it causes the drat thing to become impossible to interact with, and it floats in the air. Swell.

I'm looking this over in nifskope, and have come to the conclusion that I am lost. anyone with modeling experience want to help me out a bit here, so I can make this backpack fall down to the ground, have havok physics, and be stackable in some supply tents? I'm going to start muddling through, but have low hope regarding my ability to pull this off. I may end up flipping over to using KDS's backpack mod as a base, but I really don't like the way his packs looks for the NCR military.

EDIT

and after doing some research, it seems I'm probably going to have to switch over to KDS's mod instead.

Vitriol fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 1, 2011

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

Mordaedil posted:

I like that the change is relatively small, making it a good mod that doesn't just turn the entire game anime or say that Obsidian can't design NPC's. I have no idea why everyone has coke on their lips though.

Jet is one HELL of a Chem.

Also, I actually sat down and learned a few things yesterday, and am happy to say I am now back working on the backpack mod I have been skirting around for a while. I'm actually going to incorporate some of the KDS models as alternates, and am using his world models for the backpacks that don't have em. Not a perfect solution, but one I can survive.

I'd like to merge in the additional sacks, packs, and usable knapsacks from Wasteland Essential Gear too, but I'm not quite that far, and his restrictions are a lot tighter than KDS'.

Vitriol fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 2, 2011

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Hey all!

I'm getting close to rolling out another test of my Integration Patch for Military NV Backpacks (which will need to be used, too, its the master file)

This is building on the version I let loose around here a couple of weeks back - that one had some good stuff (NCR troopers wearing NCR-Skinned appropriate backpacks, Legion troopers having Legion-skinned backpacks, etc.) but some real bugs too. (The models for the NCR packs didn't have a world model, and would float when you let them go, becoming impossible to grab and pick up again. whoops!)

So over the last couple of days, I have scoured around for some alternatives, and thanks to a "You can do what you want with my mod, just thank me, etc." attitude with the latest release of the KDS backpack mod, I basically just grabbed his world models and grafted them into the MNVBP NCR packs as the world model. while I was at it, I added in his versions of the main NCR pack as well, although I am not as hot with the way they look. eh, anyway -

Version 2 of this is about to hit beta, and I will have the following things working:
All Backpacks renamed to something closer to what they are - NCR Military (style) backpacks (4 GI issue variants) Slave Packs (Yep I am using them, too!) in 2 flavors, 2 variants of packs in Legion colors, and a bunch of the others marked as civilian models. Traders and wasteland merchants will be packing around backpacks, as will some of the various other random folks you find out in the wasteland too!

I will eventually have variants that I will be adding to the various other factions - I plan on getting some things set up for the various raiders, escaped convicts, powder gangers, Fiends. Great Khans, etc. Basically everyone in the world potentially could be hauling around an appropriate backpack of some kind.

Of course, anyone who wants to donate some skins for their favorite pack type is more than welcome, I'm not proud, and variation is loving awesome - however I don't want to break MY IMMERSION:qq: so I would like to keep it to appropriate-themed fallout universe skins - I actually don't like the modern-looking digital camo stuff, and will be phasing it out for good ol' green canvas, black, Vault Blue, leather, and other things as I can come up with them.

However if you want to help out, feel free. (and if you have some goofy idea that is really stupid and will make other people hate you, that's fine too. I'm actually planning on some dumb poo poo like a bright pink kid's backpack as a unique item, if I can pull off the scripting to make it work.)

And eventually, if I don't get bored and stop doing this, I'd like to have it include stuff like the rope-and-a-scrap-of-canvas bags you see people wearing around, the courier bags, a luggable knapsack, etc, etc. I really would love to have a bindlestiff with a nice polka-dot bindle, but that's probably just me.

(oh yeah, this is basically just a cocktease announcement, I'm not going to have it out until tomorrow at the earliest)

Vitriol fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 3, 2011

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, question: How will you be integrating these backpacks into the game? Are you directly modifying merchant and loot lists or are you using a script?

I hope you're using a script :)

I might be wrong, but I don't recall the original FO3 Project Beauty conflicting with body replacers. Since the mod only replaces facial data, I think you *should* be good. LING's on the other hand...

At least at first, I am modifying the inventory of about fourteen of the base template NPC's. I'm muddling through this, learning as I go - if you could hit me with a script example on how to do this without directly editing an NPC, I would be a lot happier with doing it that way. 95% of this is just editing someone else's work, and I am pretty confused most of the time, and a little scared. Hold me.

as far as compatabilty with other mods, hair is going to clip, I would bet.

I'm going to guess that other body replacers may clip a bit on the front - huge, succulent, never-sagging and stiff boobs (the kind modders add!) may clip the backpack straps - but to be honest, when the backpack straps were made they kind of clip anyway.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Do you like to carry a lot of stuff around?

Do you like collecting many versions of the same thing, different only in cosmetic variations? How about if we add in different shapes and capacities? Like Pokemon, but instead of fighting, they ride on your back and hold poo poo!

Click here for the full 800x597 image.

Pictured are all the backpacks I tested. All of them have full physics, although the slave packs don't have the right worldmodel, and I'm not going to do one, so.. sorry?

Hey, Here's one of the four primary variant backpacks you can expect to see riding around on the backs of the NCR troops, a skin I got from fellow forum goon, Staberind:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

and here are the two versions I did for the Legion:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Anyway, I am digging around, building my zip file and will upload a test version here in a bit. All playable! My initial test version will have a lovely cheat case with everything in it, all renamed from what they were before - this pack contains stuff from three different backpack mods, Blackwolf, Military Backpacks New Vegas, and KDS' Wearable backpacks - but the only one required to get this working will be Military Backpacks, New Vegas.

Vitriol fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 4, 2011

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
All righty then! Here's version 2 of my backpack integration mod!

First off,
33 megs? really?

yeah. sorry? I'm going to optimize this down, getting rid of everything I don't need to include, but I'm still fighting it, and have yet to optimize or tweak anything for size. There is a crapton of duplicated stuff in here that the other mod provides, and I have yet to get my poo poo together. you should have been here when I uploaded it. Twice. (I lost the link to it the first time.)

What do I need to get this working then?

This mod: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36423

Install it, and only load the .esm file. That other stuff will be included in my version, and will only cause heartache right now.

Then dump that fuckton load of files in my 7z file into your nv data folder, go hang out in an interior cell for about 3 game days, and go wander around and see what's up!

WHERE CAN I BUY THIS poo poo IN-GAME?
well, there is a carefully placed trunk labled "Armor Trunk" in front of the goodsprings store that has all of the packs for you to take and use, but if you want to buy them, Chet has a few, the Quartermaster in Forlorn Hope has the NCR versions, and the gun-runner's Vendertron has all the other variants. If you want a legion pack, go shoot some legion dudes wearing one. They DESERVE it.

ahem.

You may also spot some wandering wasteland explorers with packs, and the wandering merchants will have them, as do Crimson Caravaneers you may find. But if you want to buy one from them, you are poo poo OUTTA LUCK! AKA: I don't know where the wandering merchants keep their sales loot, or I would add packs to them. help?

Wait, why don't ALL the people you said should have packs I dunno, have packs?
Because I did build in a chance that they won't have a pack. Also, not all the troopers are built from the same templates I modified. Oh, if you have a mod that modifies templates for characters, this might gently caress it up. Sorry?

ANYHOO, have at it! give me feedback here, or email me directly @ Vitriolic@gmail.com. (put 'your backpack mod sucks, fag!' in the email title please.)

If you want to do a skin for a pack variant, feel free! I can include them later on.

Also, right now there are a few spelling errors, I am planning on changing the names around to things like "Kid's backpack" "Daypack" "Hiking pack" etc, so that will be happening, too.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think the creator has to go through his mod and fix the "Texture Sets" for those backpack meshes, which is located under the miscellaneous section. That's what happens when the plugin doesn't have information for what textures new meshes should use.

Whoops! working on it now! (And would you belive I had just actually read about those?)

I should have a fixed esp soonish.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

Amstrad posted:

So I put in a little more work today.

DOWNLOAD

Now he just needs a three-eyed feline companion to replace Rex and a cigarette.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
when I have seen the screen lock up on the loading screen portion, its almost always due to weirdness where ESP's are looking for another file that is it's master.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Hey there!

regarding the fiasco with my last alphaish test release of the slowly evolving backpack mod, several changes have happened:

I'm renaming it to the Unified Backpack Mod. This is because I have decided to make it stand-alone. I've gone back to all the same mods everyone else did in Fallout 3 and have imported the models myself, and am rebuilding everything from scratch, reworking skins, learning nifskope, and contemplating learning enough blender to.. no, that's probably not happening. Too much learning curve..

Anyway, It's still going to be ESM and ESP based, but will no longer be envisioned as an expansion for someone else's mod.

Oh yeah, I've got a world model for the slave pack! Cheerfully ganked with permission from another backpack mod - one that is not quite as ambitious as mine in regards to changing poo poo around.

Most importantly - I'm vastly lowering the numbers of skin variants to ones that are 1: actually lore-friendly and 2: look like they belong in the game. No more ACUPAT or "DESERT NINJA TECHNO DESIGNED BY COMPUTERS" camo schemes. instead you will find appropriate looking stuff like the grungy Vault 3 blackwolf variant down below.. perhaps being worn by a random fiend.

The boomers will get one that looks appropriate to them, too, I suppose... Khans I am looking into. Basically when I am done, all major groups should have an appropriate pack of some kind, packs will be laying about in the wilderness and available for sale or theft in a lot of places, etc.

My goal is to have them just appear in the game, like they had been there all along.

I sure do wish I could model though. I'm using a few different backpack models, but I wish that someone would just do some regular ol' backpacks, courier bags, etc. The Blackwolf packs are nice, but obviously designed by someone who once had a backpack described to him by a blind person, and who went to the Rob Lefield school of pouch distribution and design.

ah well. I should have something actually usable and stable bashed together for release sometime after next Sunday, which is my next day off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vitriol fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 12, 2011

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

KaiserPanda posted:

I hoarded a mountain of wasteland junk by reflex. Now half way through the game I've learned that there aren't really any weapons to craft like in fallout 3 :smith:
Is there a mod that adds that back in (and maybe some of the old fallout 3 items)?

well, this makes it a bit easier to kill big game that likes to chase you

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Those of you waiting for the REAL weapon mod expansion.. your wait is now over! WMX is out!

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Hey, its me, the annoying backpack guy!

I've actually got something good this time, I promise! Not requiring a different mod for mine to work, not using stuff spread all over, completely rebuilt from scratch, and greatly tweaked!

This is still work in progress, but if you just want to put backpacks into the game, all over the place, with NPC's wearing appropriate looking packs at appropriate times and places, this is probably good enough for you at this point.

Gone are the endless camo variants. This new hot version comes in a few variants, but if you like black, you are in luck! Also, if you enjoy the ambience of a good Legion armor, a grungy-looking vault hiking pack, NCR Military packs and their civilian knock-offs, the awesome new leather backpacks that just got released this week, and the charming styling of the Slave Pack, complete with a worldmodel, this will tickle your fancy!

anyway, here it is,

Please have a go at it, see what is broken, if you have any ideas or input on it, please let me know - and since I haven't yet got permission from everyone involved, (not that I anticipate this being an issue yet) please keep it here on the forums.

Now I am going to bed.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
I'm trying to get some scripts built, but am being frustrated by the fact that the geck is refusing to save the scripts. I try to save a script that I cut and pasted out of another script, change three things, and try to save with a new name, only to have it ask if I want to save the script with a blank script name.

Okay, I think, I've got a script that wont compile. Try again, this time with a blank script

code:
scn ubmStartupSCRIPT
thats it, nothing else yet.

And it won't do anything.

is there a trick here? do I have a screwed up geck?

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Well, I stayed away a while but just got all three of the DLC packs, am reinstalling New Vegas, the GECK, FNVEdit, and all the other assorted methods of torture I inflicted upon myself.

I see someone else released another nifty backpack mod on the nexus, so I will be borging that into my universal backpack mod eventually, and will most likely only release it on here, since I won't be arsed to get everyone to give me permission, (like the last time.)

Also, I may dust off my ED-E companion mod that gave the little bot a zapping zapper and tune that up, assuming anything is broken.

I'm totally starting from scratch on the reloading, right now I just have Caravan Pack, the three DLC's and my backpack mod. Feels kind of naked. Not in a good way

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

Horns posted:

Vitriol, if you're going to be updating your backpack mod, would it be possible to give the leather backpack in your mod the same container/portable bedroll functionality it has in this leather backpack mod? I've always wanted to use this, but the way your mod puts backpacks on everybody in the wasteland was too good to give up and I try to avoid conflicts where I can. In the meantime I just use a portable bedroll mod on top of yours, but it would be nice to have them consolidated into one mod.

I'm going to look into it, that was one of the things I was hoping to do, but last time around got kind of distracted by bright, shiny things. I'm going to start actually working on this over my next weekend, in fact.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Nexus!

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Okay, I'm working on this again, and all the old links are kaput.

This is my Unified Backpack Mod.

http://www.mediafire.com/?pcdnd682x29xiwn (this is the same link as above, but more blatant)

If you are trying to find it on the Nexus, forget it, I'm not going to upload it, since I borged together the existing backpack mods completely without permission, remorse, or a sense of propriety. Also I am lazy, fat, smell bad, and am a terrible person.

What this does is make one unified, reasonable, cherry-picked group of backpacks that work alike, don't conflict, and most importantly, are out there, being used. You will find backpacks on NPC's in the wasteland in ways that actually make sense! NCR troopers have NCR backpacks, Crazed Raider-types have old grungy vault backpacks and whatever their latest victim was carrying, there are fanny packs, traders have all kinds of packs, and there are lots of reasonable, lore-freindlyish versions. No ultramodern digital camo here.

This is the same version I dropped into the forums before, no changes yet. Basically, this will meet your needs to to get NPC's wandering around the desert with backpacks!

To do list:
  • making them work in the DLC's (Basically see if I need to do anything special, I haven't started the DLC's yet, so :iiam:)
  • look at the possibility of making the packs work like containers
  • see if I can figure out how to do the bedrolls from the leather backpacks mod
  • start putting random piles of them around, add them to more spots where you can find them, etc.
  • oooo another backpack model to stea... incorporate
  • get rid of the box in goodsprings right next to the workbenches (facing the wrong, way, too!) where all the backpacks can be found, as I am pretty sure they work now.

also if you guys have requests (people who ought to have packs seem to not have them, etc) or can point out problems, let me know.

Cream-of-Plenty, could you stick a link for this this up in the first post?

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
To answer the questions, it does, in fact, raise carry weights, to frankly unrealistic levels. As you go higher up in weight you do slow down and get less agile, but not as much as you should, these are still kind of cheaty / wip.

NPC's will have backpacks. When Malcolm Holmes shows up to tell you all you need to know about searching for blue star caps, he's got a nice backpack on.

The main thing is that people out wandering around just have them equipped. Not everyone has them, but enough do that it looks organic.

as far as Project Nevada, no clue. I've not looked at that. I inserted mine by editing the equipment lists for base character types, and adding a percentage fudge factor. Also there's several different types, and you get randomness between those even. Have a look, it's easy to get rid of.

Here's some pictures I took the last time around during the very initial testing, be aware that the modern digital camo is gone.

Vitriol fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 10, 2011

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

Jan posted:

The fix suggested was to disable multithreaded audio. I don't remember the exact name of the variable but there you go.

This worked 100% for me, I just had to go and do it in all the major .ini files, including Fallout_default.ini

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

Seemenaked posted:

Hey isn't there a nice goon made mod for backpacks? I am using the backpack mod by blackwolf atm, and it's just looks awful. For one you aren't wearing it, it just sorta floats behind your character like magic. I know I seen a screenshot where someone was using nice backpacks with straps.

Yep, but it has the blackwolf packs in it - check the first post in the thread, it's linked there!

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

Capn Beeb posted:

Speaking of AG:
HOLY poo poo THUNDAH. HOLY. poo poo.
100% in agreement with this statement.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

MounerKT posted:

Is there a mod/program that will let me edit my character?

I want to remove some perks and add some.

Cheat Terminal looks like it will meet your needs

edit: haha

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
even with AG supplemental uniques, the best weapon in the game remains..

Craig Boone.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Looks like Weapon Mods Expanded 1.1 dropped, and it adds mods in for Melee Weapons!

Now my semi-OCD rear end just needs Brumbek's inventory sorter to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!

Boogoose posted:

This mod here http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42911 is so far my favourite treatment of the stealth suit. It adds a helmet, new colour scheme, fixes the morphine and stim issues, and has upgrades that are reflected on the model itself. A pretty good deal.

Oh yeah, this is a good mod, I've been using it in it's various incarnations from it's start.