Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

:siren: The only way to download PSP games from PSN is to use a PS3 now. The PSN Store is shutting down on the PSP. :siren:

What is the PSP?
Well, Grandma, the Playstation Portable, AKA PSP is Sony's handheld gaming system. It can play UMD games, Downloadable games, UMD movies, MP3s, videos, and will access RSS feeds and the internet.

There are currently four models of PSP:

PSP-1000 or Fat, the oldest model, Handy for homebrew, but otherwise not too fancy.
PSP-2000 or Slim, also good for homebrew, it has been redesigned to be slimmer and lighter than the 1000, and is capable of video-out. Probably the your best bet if you don't like the screen on the 3000 or want to do homebrew
PSP-3000 or Lite, which has a microphone and some other assorted changes from the 2000, including some fiddling with the screen. Homebrew is doable, but only on certain firmware versions.
PSPGo
A complete overhaul of the PSP, featuring a new screen, button layout and 16 GB of flash memory, replacing the UMD drive, meaning that you get games by downloading them off the Playstation Network. It also features bluetooth, and allows you to play games with a PS3 controller without resorting to Custom firmware. It's also discontinued.
Some Bullshit
There's a new, EU only PSP for 99 moon dollars, but it has no wifi for some fuckin' reason, and it's only a few months before the vita came out so nobody knows what the gently caress they're smoking.

PSP Phone
Also known as the Xperia Play, it's an android phone that can play some PSP games.
Playstation Vita
Holy poo poo it's got two analog sticks, but it also has it's own thread

What PSP should I buy?
This depends on what you want to do for it. If you just want to play PSP games, a 3000 is probably your best bet, since it's easy to find, and generally what's in bundles these days. If you're going for homebrew, you'll want a 1000 or 2000, as the 3000 has very limited homebrew capabilities. The PSP Go is a decent choice if the games you like are available on the PSN, but support for older titles is okay at best, and many of the bigger titles are still missing.

Note that only the Go has internal memory, so you'll need to buy a memory stick with any other PSP.
What is the PSN?
The Playstation Network or PSN is Sony's online store for the PSP and PS3, which lets you download PSP Games, PSOne games, Demos and DLC. To use the PSN either grab Media Go or navigate there using your PSP. For more information, check out the PSN Megathread.
In addition to PSP games, the Playstation Network also has a decent selection of PSX games available for either $6 or $10. You can play these on either your PSP or PS3, and saves are transferable between the two. Notable games include Metal Gear Solid, Syphon Filter, and Final Fantasy 7 and 8.

The game I want isn't on the North American PSN, but it's out in Europe/Japan/The Moon, can I still play it?
The PSP is region-free, and it is possible to download games from different countries. See This thread for details.

How do I store all of these cool games
The PSP takes Memory Stick Pro Duo memory cards in sizes up to 32 GB. There are also MicroSD -> Pro Duo adapters (like these ones) that allow you to use (cheaper) MicroSD cards instead.

What do you mean by homebrew?
Head on over to the Hombrew thread to get more information on what the PSP can do on that front.

:siren: Do not talk about warez in this thread! Do not talk about warez in the homebrew thread! Do not talk about them on this forum!!:siren:

If something is incorrect or if there's something you want in the OP, post in the thread or send me a PM.

:pcgaming:Recommended Games:pcgaming:
Ace Combat X and Ace Combat: Joint Assault
Armored Core: Portable series
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles
God of War: Ghost of Sparta and God of War: Chains of Olympus
Dissidia: Final Fantasy
Field Commander
Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories
Gran Turismo
Half-Minute Hero
Jeanne D'Arc
Killzone: Liberation
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Loco Roco 1&2
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, MGS: Peace Walker and the MG Ac!d series
Megaman Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X
Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite
Patapon 1, 2 and 3
Persona 3 Portable
Phantasy Star Portable 2
Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe
Valkyria Chronicles II
Ys 7
ZHP

Upcoming
Vita.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

No PSP news right now, mainly because the Vita is on the way.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 8, 2011

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

You spelled "recommended" wrong and that's just gonna drive me crazy if you don't fix it

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If you're stillt taking reccomendations I'd suggest the Castlevania: the Dracula X Chronicles. It's a pretty great classic hack and slash platformer with a port of Rondo of Blood, the game it's based off of and Symphony of the Night for only $15 on the PSN.

I also had a ton of fun with Prinny: CIRBTH, even if the last boss is kinda bull.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just bought persona 3 portable and i'm waiting for my psp to charge before it'll update. Jeez, its taking so so long. Quite annoying, really.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

setafd posted:

You spelled "recommended" wrong and that's just gonna drive me crazy if you don't fix it

Good catch, fixed. I also added Castlevania to the big list o' games. Any other suggestions are welcome.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

On the recommendation front, everyone should play Loco Roco 1&2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I know it's not fully stocked right now, but my PlayStation Import thread deals in PSP now in both UMD and Digital, so there could be some fun stuff in there that people could like. I mean people like robots and anime and Tales games still right? Breath of Fire's hip with the kids yeah?

Also did anyone else play the Lord of Arcana demo? I tried the Japanese one months ago and fuddled around with it but actually playing it in English and knowing what I'm doing has improved the experience so much. It's like they reached this perfect middle of Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star Portable with a vaguely Final Fantasy art style that's pretty palpable to me. I'd still prefer an actual Monster Hunter clone in the vein of an FF game with like job classes and such, but this is pretty fun.

Ambisagrus
Jun 27, 2008

i am only a man
It's kind of hard to find now but Gitaroo Man Lives is a pretty good port of the PS2 game. I'd also recommend Mega Man Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X, they're remakes of the first Mega Man and Mega Man X games.

There's also Ace Combat X which is a pretty drat good arcade-y dogfighting game. I think there's another PSP Ace Combat, too? Unfortunately I don't know anything about that one.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I cannot recommend Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe enough. It's an absolute steal. I also still really like Jeanne D'Arc, Killzone Liberation, Field Commander and Gran Turismo PSP though it's not for everyone. I got a stupid amount of play out of Hot Shots Tennis, but I imagine it's not for everyone.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I agree that GT PSP should be recommended. And Wipeout Pulse.

You also might add something about the Go adding bluetooth and using different memory sticks (micro M2) than the older models.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Having alot of fun with Ys 7, lots of grinding for bosses though.

Persona 3 portable is also a amazing game, probably my favorite one to ever come out on the PSP.

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

casual poster posted:

Having alot of fun with Ys 7, lots of grinding for bosses though.

You shouldn't have to grind at all if you aren't running past enemies. Just get better at dodging.

EDIT: Also hold R and press L to do a flash guard. That's neccesary for some of them.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Ys Seven is probably my most played PSP game up there with ZHP. I'm looking forward to the delayed yet imminent release of Ys Chronicle as well.

*checks list again*

Wait, Dissidia is not listed as a recommended game?

The Armored Core Portable series should probably be mentioned as well, although they seem to be releasing new ones rather frequently (ACP3, AC:LRP, AC:SLP were each released about 4 months apart iirc).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

jttoddy posted:

Ys Seven is probably my most played PSP game up there with ZHP. I'm looking forward to the delayed yet imminent release of Ys Chronicle as well.

*checks list again*

Wait, Dissidia is not listed as a recommended game?

The Armored Core Portable series should probably be mentioned as well, although they seem to be releasing new ones rather frequently (ACP3, AC:LRP, AC:SLP were each released about 4 months apart iirc).

It's been so long since I've played an pre-AC4 game.

I want to get one for my psp. Should I go with Silent Line or Last Raven?

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

Ineffiable posted:

It's been so long since I've played an pre-AC4 game.

I want to get one for my psp. Should I go with Silent Line or Last Raven?

I have the first one, AC3 I think with the delusions that I would beat each one in turn and carry over my guy. That was started about a year ago though haha. It's a good game if you like the armor core series but I just kept wishing for a second input stick for view control. It's not unplayable at all and I had a very good time with it just never finished. I can't offer advise on the last 2 but they may find their way into my download list eventually.

Ace Combat Joint Assault is pretty fun and the only DL option. The AI isn't console level but for what they had to work with I thought it was decent.

Also it might be hard to find but I loved and had a blast with Metal Gear Acid 2. If you are a card geek and liked Metal Gear this is a must try for anyone.

ganash fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 29, 2010

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

OP updated with suggestions. I really need to pick up the new Ace Combat game, I really liked AC5.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

They need a sequel to Killzone: Liberation. That game was awesome and I wished I still owned it. Does anyone know if the multiplayer community is still active for it? If it is I might buy it from the PSN.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

jabro posted:

They need a sequel to Killzone: Liberation. That game was awesome and I wished I still owned it. Does anyone know if the multiplayer community is still active for it? If it is I might buy it from the PSN.

The last time I checked (about 2 months ago) the *only game online ever via adhoc party* was monster hunter. There used to be peace walker as well but that was never as popular as monster hunter, and after a bit there would be one peace walker room and 20 monster hunter rooms. I imagine that peace walker is rare, monster hunter is not and nothing else is ever played online.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ad Hoc Party is AMAZING. It's a shame it's so under-utilized.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for remaking. I took my PSP 3000 around town today. It fits in my pockets quite well, but denies my right pocket for my house keys. I avoid touching the screen like the plague because any sort of touch shows up in broad daylight.

16GB Memory Stick has provided more than enough room for really cheap, only problem is that I cant back up my saves yet because I dont have that USB transfer cable [coming in 2 days]. So I just restarted my game and reinstalled my other PS1 classics. The green PSP is really a looker though, problem is that if the background isn't green, or a similar color, it doesn't match well. Battery life is better then expected, all today I was turning it off and doing everything from going online to playing games. I'm still on 3/3 bars.

I wouldn't dream of buying another portable device other than this baby. When I get the transfer cable, im gonna load a few GB's of my music and see how that goes, as well as pictures too.

All in all great device, but need more time to investigate the music playing ability.

I was thinking of getting the "Go" version, but I honestly cant forgo the UMD drive. I know I probably wont use it for more than 1-2 games, but I want the option. Plus, the Go feels more like a cellphone, but thats just personal preference. I intended to get a PSP2000 or earlier for modding, but at this point im sorta tired of modding and jailbreaking from the iPhone/touch. No turning back now, this thing came with 6.0 firmware.

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 30, 2010

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

teethgrinder posted:

Ad Hoc Party is AMAZING. It's a shame it's so under-utilized.

I don't know how the gently caress to use it, heh :ohdear:

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Avocadoes posted:

I was thinking of getting the "Go" version, but I honestly cant forgo the UMD drive. I know I probably wont use it for more than 1-2 games, but I want the option.

This and having easy access to the battery are the two reasons I picked the 3000 over the Go (still waiting for it to arrive, rather excited.) Speaking of the battery, can anyone tell me if the extended life battery is really that much of an improvement over the original ? I'll probably end up buying one anyway but I just might get one right now if it is a significant improvement.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Badman 3 (No Heroes Allowed) and Prinny 2: Intentionally Stupid Subtitle both kick rear end.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

quakster posted:

Badman 3 (No Heroes Allowed)

I too recommend this game.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
This is kind of a hail mary but does anyone know how to change a player's position in NBA 2k11? Not the created character thing.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I don't know how the gently caress to use it, heh :ohdear:

Hit the first option in AHP to choose a World and a Room, then move the cursor somewhere and hit X to create a Lobby. Get your PSN buddy to hit the second option in AHP to search for your Lobby, which he can then join. Then, fire up your PSPs and go through the same dance you'd do to play a local ad-hoc game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Man I love my PSP. I got a 3000 a couple months ago and I just love this thing. Took me a good day or 2 to finally get the perfect video converter but motherfucker I did. Now I can watch all my old 1950's PSA and Education Films AND smack things repeatedly in the face with a sword/gun/fist. Even made my own custom theme so that is pretty drat cool too.
Just wish I could view a youtube video on this bitch :mad:

oh and gently caress all the stores around me I HAVE to order games online since 99% of the stores around me carry 8000 copies of God of War and nothing else!

chipclip
Jun 13, 2010

goon's best friend.
Got my GoW bundle 3000 a few weeks back and I'm definitely gonna need to upgrade from my 2GB card. How are the Sony brand cards speed-wise compared to the Sandisk ones? Is this something barely noticeable to the point of not really mattering at all?

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.
I picked up Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder and Savage Moon: The Hera Campaign on the PSN store for the holidays.

Paper Wars: Cannon Fodder is a delightful take on Missile Command-style gaming, except you control a tank blasting waves of sprite-based cartoon soldiers as they march past.

Savage Moon is the most sophisticated tower defense game I've seen on the PSP, but it turns into a painful slog fairly quickly.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

copy ruin start posted:

Got my GoW bundle 3000 a few weeks back and I'm definitely gonna need to upgrade from my 2GB card. How are the Sony brand cards speed-wise compared to the Sandisk ones? Is this something barely noticeable to the point of not really mattering at all?

In the previous thread, someone posted that the Sandisk cards are faster, and they're usually cheaper as well. I just picked up a 16GB Sandisk card at Amazon for about $50 and have been happy with it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Maybe its because its too early to tell, but I don't notice a difference between my Lexar brand 16GB chip vs the 2GB Sony one..

My cables came in today for my PSP from HDE [Hottest Deals Ever]. Its a discount site that sells alot of super cheap items, and honestly I think the packaging clarified it. [They had stuffed 3 shipping peanuts into a USPS envelope] along with the cable. Not complaining though, after all it was a cable, and a very small one at that. But I found it funny. I had to practically jam in the power cable though...:ohdear: Ill just use my default one that came.

Should I try out the Media Go Application, or just stick to the default drag and drop system that im doing already?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Anyone selling their PSP? Got an old one laying around when you traded models? Been wanting one for a while.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Avocadoes posted:

Should I try out the Media Go Application, or just stick to the default drag and drop system that im doing already?
Drag and drop is fine, but Media Go is necessary to purchase PSN games from the PC. People generally much prefer this as it's oddly rear end-slow on the PSP.

There's also a Podcast feature in Media Go which I could see being nifty, but I haven't bothered since my BlackBerry does it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

There's also a Podcast feature in Media Go which I could see being nifty, but I haven't bothered since my BlackBerry does it.

I honestly did not know Media Go had that feature. Downloading This American Life and Onion News Network as we speak. :D

DeadRockstar
Dec 24, 2010

SWEETS!

Spork Heidelberg posted:

In the previous thread, someone posted that the Sandisk cards are faster, and they're usually cheaper as well. I just picked up a 16GB Sandisk card at Amazon for about $50 and have been happy with it.

This is my understanding as well. It was a while ago but I remember seeing tests that showed Sandisk being a couple of mb/s faster in read speed. Like you say though, since they're cheaper, you might as well go Sandisk anyway.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Has there been any new info on Patapon 3? The last thing I "heard" was amazon changing the date from November to March and I can't imagine Sony releasing it close to the 3DS launch.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

I updated my PSP firmware so I can finally use the PSN again and I decided to give Portable Ops another go.

Holy poo poo this game is great once you make the controls not terrible. I still prefer Peace Walker, but my opinion of Portable Ops went from "poo poo" to "good" in about a minute of fiddling in the options menu.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see

Captain Novolin posted:

I updated my PSP firmware so I can finally use the PSN again and I decided to give Portable Ops another go.

Holy poo poo this game is great once you make the controls not terrible. I still prefer Peace Walker, but my opinion of Portable Ops went from "poo poo" to "good" in about a minute of fiddling in the options menu.

I always liked Portable OPs and I am sure Peacewalker is a great game on paper but I just can't get into either because of the controls. As you said you can make them not suck completely but is there a good choice? What is your control scheme for these games? With out a dedicated viewing control I couldn't find an option I could live with for any extended period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I just ended up using the MGS4 like controls, I think its called "Shooter". It works pretty decent until i get to a Tank mission and I have to deal with 5-6 armed soldiers. It gets a little wonky. :( and them im mashing buttons all around.

• Locked thread