Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
AAAOOOOOOOGAH!!

Homocop (and all of that type of oldschool bits) are terrible, the real greatness of this show is when the staff just riff off (and rip on) each other (and the hapless mutants/strippers/SCORESMAN GOT A TATTOO/staff who wander into the den). Nothing beats no-guest days back in the Artie era of 2nd/3rd year Sirius. They had finally gotten over saying "gently caress!!!!" every fourth word for the novelty of it by then, and Artie was still lucid enough as a drug-addled fatass comedian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

Seconding the nice job on the OP - thanks duder.

Re: the show jumping the shark. I am going to get killed for this, but I think it jumped the shark when it came to Sirius. For me, most of the moments that make me groan have taken place since they have moved. To whit:

- Howard is patently dishonest with his audience regarding a few things. Namely, not working Fridays. And, when Bubba signed his last contract they were all crowing about it but neglected to mention he wasn't actually live 4 of the 5 days. Also: completely embracing people to further Beth's career that he would normally shun - to our amusement.

- The loving tapes. He has put together one good special in his time with those tapes: Fight Week. Fight Week is one of the greatest things the show has put together. And in the precursor to the tapes - re-recording the old bits. Homocomp 2006 was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen him do. It made me embarrassed that he thought it was so awesome.

- Howard sat there while his bro Artie wasted away. If WE saw what a mess Artie was, then you know Howard did.

Just to name three.

I think there have been some real highlights in the last five years - but sadly, more cringe inducing moments for my money. Gary's pitch, Sal's apology - all great stuff. But man, the person Howard has turned into would get his rear end kicked by early-90s Howard.

Don't forget the douchechills coming from 'I'M THE PRANKSTER.' Also, that whole 'Bro' fight was pretty cringeworthy as well. Artie didn't want to be referred to as just the fat guy. Howard keeps going on and on about how grateful Artie should be to be there. It reveals a lot about the nature of the show that adds more proof that Howard knew what Artie was going through and let it happen, perhaps out of spite.

AxeManiac posted:

You could also say Howard was keeping drug addled artie on the show for us and didn't want to stop it because it was radio gold.

Oh yeah. Especially after the Teddy fight. Howard should have put a stop to it after Sal got hit by a CD, but letting Artie come back after the Teddy fight was really selfish. At that point Artie was losing his mind and really needed help.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Thought I'd throw these in for the OP, some pertinent Youtube links.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ericthebedhumper2 - ETBH is the definitive source for midget material. Has literally every call that monster has made during the Sirius years in addition to other appearances by Eric, the midget's Idol show and much more. Its slow going now because of the ETM hiatus but he always updates with funny stuff(Riley Martin, Ronnie stuff, etc). If you're looking for a recent funny bit or a good interview, check here first.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cpuss - cpuss is a great source for pre-Sirius material. 800+ videos featuring a lot of the classic bits in Stern history and much more. Updated infrequently but there's such a wealth of videos its not an issue.

http://www.youtube.com/user/skippyeyes - more terrestrial stuff. Lots of good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MasterTubeTheatre#p/p - the source for all the prank calls done by Sal and Richard. Has a handful of other good bits but mostly recognized for the prank calls. I've linked directly to said playlists.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

AxeManiac posted:

I just heard the monday rant about his trip, that was great stuff.

That reminds me, I was laughing my rear end off when he kept going on about the ants.

"Oh so sorry, so sorry!"

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

:words:

This is a great post.

Maybe I'm goddamn nuts, but I'd like to see KC get a shot at the Artie chair for awhile. Even if it's just for a week at a time, like George Takei.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004
THE BIG BIG BANG

I still haven't heard that whole song and I'm walking around singing Howard's rendition of it.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

"Did you enjoy the song?"
"It was sad."
"LOL."

Holy gently caress Kathy Lee is such a mental case

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Bubba says he was offered an 80% paycut.

http://www.examiner.com/howard-stern-in-national/bubba-the-loves-sponge-says-sirius-xm-is-slashing-salaries

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

I'm not defending Sirius or their ridiculous contracts, but look at it this way: they were only getting exclusive content one day a week. Out of 52 Fridays last year I'd be surprised if he was live for more than 35-40 of them. $200,000 isn't really bad for ~35 live shows and a rebroadcast of a terrestrial radio show. He should have taken the money.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Hello hello

I lost a thread and I lost a bookmark. You gained a thread and you gained a bookmark.

Is there some way we can make this whole thing the thread title

Holy Calamity! posted:

'What Artie's Eating', 'What Artie's Betting', 'What's Artie Taking?', 'Holy poo poo Look at Artie', or the classic 'Artie's Out Sick Today.'

aka 'Hey Gare, it's Art.'

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Nope. Its considered a 2.99 per month "upgrade"

Is this some kind of SIRIUS USA thing? The Canadian version has always just given me the Internet logon along with the regular subscription. Back when I had the American subscription in 05-06, it was the same thing. In fact, perusing the USA website it just says that 2.99 is for the 128kbps upgrade.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 5, 2011

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I started listening during The Sirius Years and I have come to the conclusion that I'm an Artie Lange - not Howard Stern - fan. When you are turning Steve Brandano into an on-air personality and spending hours discussing how valid his various emotions are, you have truly entered into a world from which there is no return: and that was the best of today's show!

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

beergod posted:

I started listening during The Sirius Years and I have come to the conclusion that I'm an Artie Lange - not Howard Stern - fan. When you are turning Steve Brandano into an on-air personality and spending hours discussing how valid his various emotions are, you have truly entered into a world from which there is no return: and that was the best of today's show!

The Howard Stern show has been making the back office staff on-air personalities since about day 1. The Brandano stuff wasn't A1 or anything, but that's generally one of the greatest aspects of the show. I'm no Jason Kaplan fan, but the spot where Howard called his mother and talked to her for an hour about her treatment of Jason was one of my favorite bits in whatever the hell year it happened.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

kolby posted:

THE BIG BIG BANG

I still haven't heard that whole song and I'm walking around singing Howard's rendition of it.

I like how his mental mind went right to his parents loving. "The big bang is also a sexual thing, because you got here because of your parent's big bang".

The ant story was great, just another example of it doesn't matter if Howard is living on a private island being pampered, he still has poo poo to talk about. The world's greatest recluse leaves his mansion! It was funny to think him leaving his house and going on vacation pretty much anywhere but the top 3 hotels in the worlds means he is going to spend his time in a shittier place than his home. While most people usually end up thinking a hotel is nicer than their place when they do a big vacation.

Howard is a basket case and will always have tons of stuff to talk about. I love that he seems to be off the reality tv wrap up (might be because nothing is on) I could never get into him talking about dancing with the stars or whatever else, he literally just liked that show and talked about it and whenever he likes anything, it tends to be boring.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

He was only doing 20% of the shows he did during his first three years, so an 80% paycut seems pretty reasonable.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
God I love that Howard is so unbelievably hosed in the head about his parents.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

DangerDummy! posted:

Maybe I'm goddamn nuts, but I'd like to see KC get a shot at the Artie chair for awhile. Even if it's just for a week at a time, like George Takei.

I don't see it happening, because wasn't the circumstances of him leaving the show similar to Artie's (totally hosed up on drugs)?

I love me some KC, though. My favorite KC story was when he won a significant amount of money on one hand of online poker, and then pissed it all away in, like, 2 days by continuing to gamble with it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

He was only doing 20% of the shows he did during his first three years, so an 80% paycut seems pretty reasonable.

The only reason they had him doing the one day a week is because they wouldn't offer him enough money to do 4 days a week. I think a lot of people think that he went from one contract to this one but there was a lovely contract in between.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004

sedative posted:

I'm not defending Sirius or their ridiculous contracts, but look at it this way: they were only getting exclusive content one day a week. Out of 52 Fridays last year I'd be surprised if he was live for more than 35-40 of them. $200,000 isn't really bad for ~35 live shows and a rebroadcast of a terrestrial radio show. He should have taken the money.
I agree. It's like a syndication deal that would help him sell merchandise to truckers.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

sedative posted:

I can't remember the site, but last week I was reading an article that was trying to do the math on the new Howard contract.

Basically it boiled down to - if he did ended up going to 3 shows a week, he would be making just under $500,000 per show or something like $2,800 per minute he was on the air.

I haven't done the math to verify the numbers, but assuming it's true, it's kind of funny that Howard would get paid more by 8:00 AM on the first show of his contract than Bubba would get paid for the entire year.

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.
I really don't like the new schedule... I used to turn on H101 at 9AM so I could hear the beginning of the show and then listen throughout the day at the office. Then, when I left work, I could catch the last portion of the show on H100. Now, when I'm leaving work, H100 is already 30 minutes or so into another replay of the show.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Moniker posted:

The only reason they had him doing the one day a week is because they wouldn't offer him enough money to do 4 days a week. I think a lot of people think that he went from one contract to this one but there was a lovely contract in between.

Yeah, it's pretty lousy. Sirius really seemed to screw Bubba as hard as they could, and it's no secret they have been pretty stupid with their money. They just wanted to give him one twist of the knife before they left, and I'm not shocked to see him telling the press about the paycuts the radio talent are getting.

That said, I hope Radioio works out for him. It seems to be a fine service once they got the bandwidth to broadcast his show.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Howard always says he wants to get off the air by 10, does it for a few days, and then goes back to leaving around 11. I would be very surprised if he sticks to getting off at 10.

Sirius could've easily offered Bubba an exclusive contract for like $5 million a year, he would've been happy and they'd have another actual radio performer exclusive to them. Instead, they give Oprah, Martha Stewart, Jamie Foxx, and Eminem huge contracts for poo poo product. I suspect that's what made Bubba turn down the syndication deal.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

- Howard is patently dishonest with his audience regarding a few things. Namely, not working Fridays. And, when Bubba signed his last contract they were all crowing about it but neglected to mention he wasn't actually live 4 of the 5 days. Also: completely embracing people to further Beth's career that he would normally shun - to our amusement.

I've come to realize over the many years that this is true. He's dishonest to the audience with a lot of things, which is made even more aggravating because he constantly claims otherwise.

It's not new to the Sirius move, though. I remember at least 10 years ago always wondering why they never announced when they were taking vacation, because it was such a downer to wake up to a repeat. He finally admitted some years ago that he does this to trick the audience into thinking it's a new show, even if it's just for a short time. I guess for ratings. I'm not sure why this carried over to Sirius where ratings don't really matter -- do they?

And yeah, the Fridays off thing is really bad, especially after his rant just a few years earlier.

"If you're not there on Fridays, you are doing a disservice to the audience. And you're not doing your job. You're not doing it right." "I'm not going to come and do this show and jip my audience. Not going to do it. I'm going to do the best I can."

...What's that about not jipping us, Howard?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
I love how everyone is down on Richard for having a side band.

Gary just said "so if you don't make any money, why do you do it?"

I'm glad Richard is standing up for himself.

Edit: I do love Sal's racist raps and logic.

musclecoder fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 5, 2011

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Wait so the Wrap Up show ends at 11 now?

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Millstone posted:

Is there some way we can make this whole thing the thread title

aka 'Hey Gare, it's Art.'

Is this some kind of SIRIUS USA thing? The Canadian version has always just given me the Internet logon along with the regular subscription. Back when I had the American subscription in 05-06, it was the same thing. In fact, perusing the USA website it just says that 2.99 is for the 128kbps upgrade.

On the Sirius side I believe base streaming of 32kbps was free and upgrading to 128kbps cost you $2.99. Shorty after the merger the free 32kbps was dropped and you had to pay for any streaming which was promoted as an "upgrade". I had XM which had 32/64kbps free until the merger when it was "upgraded" to 128kbps with the $2.99 fee. To further complicate it XMers had the option to "lifetime" their free streaming which sounds great but that was to lifetime 32kbps and you got no app capability.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Android app streaming is about 2-3 minutes behind the internet computer streaming.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
The latest episode of Vegucating Robin is appropriately titled "A Brand New Tool in the Kitchen"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8se6Z4-6v8

Check out her fake laugh that starts at 1:58 and ends at 2:09 only when the camera cuts away.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

sedative posted:

The latest episode of Vegucating Robin is appropriately titled "A Brand New Tool in the Kitchen"

Check out her fake laugh that starts at 1:58 and ends at 2:09 only when the camera cuts away.

Holy poo poo what a trainwreck. Howard isn't giving her poo poo for this? Not only is she way too hammed up displaying no natural charisma whatsoever, but the show is a technical disaster. Shaky camera and sporadic cuts- on a COOKING SHOW! The easiest thing to frame in the world! Just do a wide shot that shows the entire cooking landscape and allows people to see exactly how the chef is preparing everything, from prep to finish. Zoom in for detail or if there's actually a good moment between the hosts, that's it. Instead the camera is all over the place and they change angles for the sake of keeping it dynamic or something and that laugh jesus

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 5, 2011

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Without Bubba on the schedule, there's no reason to keep TWUS on until 12 because they don't have to program up to Bubbas show at 3.

allroy
Oct 3, 2003

Allroy for Prez
I still like the show, I'm not gonna hate. I've been a fan since the early 90's.

It's different, but when I listen to some of the "good old shows" I cringe. I bought the lifetime sub for $400 when howard moved over so I've long since paid for my subscription.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Sock The Great posted:

This is true but they have been slowly lowballing him ever since he signed up. Sirius loving around with his contract is the reason he had to go back to FM. Then Sirius offered him less money even when they were doing two shows a day which is why we now have (had) a replay during the week and only one live show.

40ozOE
Aug 26, 2004

Bedridden I know more than you.
Best laugh of the week so far: Robin says NBC brought Conan to the Tonight Show to "euthanize the audience."

allroy posted:

It's different, but when I listen to some of the "good old shows" I cringe. I bought the lifetime sub for $400 when howard moved over so I've long since paid for my subscription.

I read years ago that the lifetime subscription was for the life of the radio, not a lifetime subscription as in "a subscriber forever." Is that still true? I've gone through three radios in six years as a subscriber.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

40ozOE posted:

Best laugh of the week so far: Robin says NBC brought Conan to the Tonight Show to "euthanize the audience."

I read years ago that the lifetime subscription was for the life of the radio, not a lifetime subscription as in "a subscriber forever." Is that still true? I've gone through three radios in six years as a subscriber.

Not true. You're allowed three transfers to new equipment which costs an additional $75 transfer fee and a $15 activation fee.

I'm still on my original Sirius Sportster (the one with the good FM transmitter). However, it's become kind of finicky... I have to move it around a bit sometimes to get a connection to the antenna. Still, five years with the original equipment isn't bad. Sounds like you haven't had as good luck with your equipment, though.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

sedative posted:

The stereo separation is driving me crazy and it appears to be reversed. I hear the guy out of the right speaker and Robin out of the left speaker.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

40ozOE posted:

I caught that. I was thinking to myself, 'no way, she has to know what she just said.' Unless "youthanize" just became a word

Howard ragging on Richard was terrible. What an rear end in a top hat. Richard actually finding modest success in something he loves is upsetting to Hamptons Howie. Howard has never come across as more jealous.

And Gary and Jon couldn't wait to wrap up the wrapup show exactly at 11am

40ozOE
Aug 26, 2004

Bedridden I know more than you.
Wait, is the show actually shorter now? Why is Mammary Lane airing at 2:00pm Eastern?

I think the West Coast feed began at 11:00am yesterday, rather than noon, as well.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
How long before we get a Monday to Wednesday show that runs from 6-9 with the wrap up at 10?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

The stereo separation is driving me crazy and it appears to be reversed. I hear the guy out of the right speaker and Robin out of the left speaker.

It's like the kid doing the mixing just randomly twisted some knobs on the board, pushed up the faders and said gently caress it! :downs:

At around 3:30, Gavan explains that the cuts on the mandoline aren't going to be all uniform. Gunt's response was, quote: "I like that! That shows you that it's homemade and didn't come out of some machine."

I'm pretty sure her slicer there is a machine, and the sweet potato came out of the ground, and wasn't homemade.

I'm also pretty sure that if Gavan hadn't stopped her twice from slicing her hand off, she would have sliced her hand off.

Joe 30330 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

Bonzo posted:

How long before we get a Monday to Wednesday show that runs from 6-9 with the wrap up at 10?

We're already there. I usually don't count Robin's "News" as actual content unless Artie is commentating.