Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

Since Gray Phantom's blog hasn't updated in a while, this went unnoticed by myself and several others I'm guessing, but The Skaro Hunting Society blog made mention that Gray Phantom has subbed UP TO EPISODE 7 OF DAIMOS! There's a bunch of MegaUpload links on that post. I'd link the page with the torrents on them here, but the list of stuff they have includes a couple of things that are currently licensed and being sold in the US.

Oh man, Daimos. Such a badass.
He doesn't care that you're an alien or that you're in a giant robot or anything. He just punches you. IN HALF.
It's like
Enemy robot? Punch that poo poo in half.
Giant fortress? Punch that poo poo in half.
Some winged prick trying to kidnap your girlfriend? In half.
And the plot's pretty good, too! It's like Romeo and Juliet. Except with karate robots. Amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Oh. Did nobody ever link the HAnoKI releases in here? They got up to 15 at some point. The torrent is quite dead at the moment though.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I didn't realize someone subbed Daimos. :stare: I must have. Though sadly I don't think I'll ever see a full sub of the series. The closes I'll get will be the filipino dub.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

I didn't realize someone subbed Daimos. :stare: I must have. Though sadly I don't think I'll ever see a full sub of the series. The closes I'll get will be the filipino dub.

How is the Filipino dub?

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Finlander posted:

How is the Filipino dub?

Very variable in quality - it is filled with parts where they speak too loud/too quietly or far too fast. Also they arbitrarily change names of characters, and Daimos' attacks.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Bob Smith posted:

Very variable in quality - it is filled with parts where they speak too loud/too quietly or far too fast. Also they arbitrarily change names of characters, and Daimos' attacks.

That's a pretty good summary. You still get the overall feel of the show though the acting tends to lean a bit heavily on the more dramatic side of things. Especially on the love interest side. But it's still enjoyable to watch.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

ANN posted:

In an interview in the May issue of Enterbrain's Otona Fami magazine on Friday, director Yoshiyuki Tomino revealed "for the first time" that he has plans for directing a new Ideon work. The topic came up after the interviewer discussed the restructuring that Tomino did when he turned the original 1980-1981 Densetsu Kyojin Ideon television anime series into The Ideon: A Contact (1982) and The Ideon: Be Invoked (1982). He mentioned the new Ideon plans when discussing how modern audiences would react to the starkly depicted death scenes in Ideon.

I can't find the right combination of emoticons to express myself about this and words aren't working either.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Grenadier posted:

I can't find the right combination of emoticons to express myself about this and words aren't working either.

"Oh dear God" seems to approach this pretty well. Out of praise or terror I have no idea yet.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's post-depression Tomino, isn't it?

I expect hilarity.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

Pureauthor posted:

It's post-depression Tomino, isn't it?

I expect hilarity.

A ZZ/King Gainer style Ideon follow up would be thoroughly bizarre and I would watch it. Running jokes involving the Buff Clan becoming slapstick villains, a new main character trying to steal and sell the Ideon every episode, it would be great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Article posted:

He mentioned the new Ideon plans when discussing how modern audiences would react to the starkly depicted death scenes in Ideon.

I don't think this would necessarily be like Tomino's other post-depression work.
It's just that instead of killing everyone in with a frown, he'll be killing everyone with a smile.

I really, really want this to see this.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
So... giant robots written by the Joker? :aaaaa:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Tomino post depression is still capable of despair/ angst. If you've ever read his writings, he's still very much a downer, he's just in better control.

Not to mention let us not forget that the ending for Ideon was ultimately optimistic.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNO2CuX15hw

I'm sure many of you have seen this in one of the other places I posted, but just in case, here you go.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
MUST READ SCRIPT EXACTLY AS WRITTEN

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Zorak posted:

MUST READ SCRIPT EXACTLY AS WRITTEN

Believing a sign of zeta beyond the hard times from now. :geno:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As I said in the SRW thread: "When you don't afraid any sunshine come on baby" is the best description of Daitarn 3 ever.

Raymondo Person
Jun 13, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So I watched SKL episode 2. 1 was largely okay and the end was moderately badass, but the second was downright mediocre. Everything beyond the action is extremely bland and uninteresting, and the action was completely half-assed (they literally copy+pasted stuff from the first episode, which is unforgivable considering this is a 3 episode OVA)

I know I'm replying to an ancient post but:

quote:

How funny you would say that considering that Mazinkaizer SKL wAS animated by the same guys who did the high budget Shin Mazinger episodes.
If it really is the exact same people and not just the same studio (very big difference), then they certainly half-assed their work. Shin Mazinger's stand-out episodes moved really freaking fluidly and were overall impressively animated - even at its best, SKL has yet to reach that level. Even in the scenes with a lot of frames the timing was pretty off.

Raymondo Person fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 5, 2011

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Cross-posting stuff from the SRW thread in Games, SRW Z2 is the non-Duke Nukem GOTY, because :sbahj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LAmRLSO6eU

Demo 1
Demo 2
This guy has quite a bit of stuff uploaded as well.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Darn. Looks like Chirico doesn't do that spin thing to dodge.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Man, how the hell did I miss Composite Ver.Ka releases of both the Exbein and Cybuster :psyduck:

Exbein's a little too busy but that Cybuster looks nice, at least from that one pic.

EDIT: wow this wasn't the gunpla thread

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 30, 2011

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Funny, I feel exactly the opposite about that. The Exbein looks great, but the Cybuster's got way too much goin' on.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Son Ryo posted:

Funny, I feel exactly the opposite about that. The Exbein looks great, but the Cybuster's got way too much goin' on.

Mostly what gets me about it is that the picture's angle makes it look like a Cybird dong I can't unsee.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

YEAH! New Voltron! Maybe it won't suck!

http://nicktoons.nick.com/shows/voltron-force

Oh... oh gently caress. Rap music, space cadet kids, and lovely animation. Welp :gonk:

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
"VOLTRON FORCE, LET'S BREAK SOME STUFF! :iamafag:"

sigh

At least it looks better than their Speed Racer.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

"LET'S VOLTRON!"

I don't even know what that means

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
It means that people are going to soon be talking about raped childhoods again.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It means that soon all the hip young kids on dancefloors across the nation will be doing the Voltron!

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

tsob posted:

It means that soon all the hip young kids on dancefloors across the nation will be doing the Voltron!

Who wants to form the head :smug:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Reading the character bios, Pidge is now an intergalactic DJ.

Yes, that's official.

"This is DJ Pizzle, crying out to all ya'll Robeasts and Robabes out there in Hotlanta... where all my lions at? :c00l:"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The only thing worse than nostalgia fetishists is this.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dre2Dee2 posted:

"LET'S VOLTRON!"

I don't even know what that means

It means the people writing this have watched Golion, where before forming they always cried "LET'S GOLION!"

Unfortunately they didn't learn the biggest lesson from the uncut version, in that it's okay to shut the gently caress up for more than two seconds (the whole thing with Keith calling off what is being formed when is inserted into silence in both Voltrons). I get that this poo poo is now tradition, but it's irritating.

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
This isn't exactly anime per se, but a few years back I thought about what it'd be like if there was a Super Robot Wars based on American/Western properties, or at least anime that were adapted so heavily that they kind of became different shows (e.g. Robotech). I don't have the time or tools to do more of these at the moment, but I'd kind of like to.

And just in case anyone is unfamiliar with any of them:

Row 1: Optimus Prime (Transformers)
Row 2: Cy-kill and Leader 1 (Gobots)
Row 3: The Iron Giant (titular character) and Twig (The Bots Master)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I've never heard of the Bots Master before...

SDShamshel
Jun 19, 2004

Picturing You Naked
You're in for a treat then.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Hahaha oh gently caress, I actually saw that when it aired. So that's what that show was.

Had you done one of those robot heads that sat on the shelf I would've recognized it immediately :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Haha oh wow that show. I also saw it when it aired, but about the only thing I remember of it are bits and pieces of the OP and the 3d glasses gimmick.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Aren't you forgetting something?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Also we'd now have Titan on the list. I have to say though, it feels mighty disingenuous to have a Shoji Kawamori designed robot in an American robot thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The funny thing is, if we were going by a US ONLY rule (Or US Rewrite) Then the Gundam representative in this theoretical "Super Robot Taisen: Universe Stage" would have to be ether Superior Defender Gundam Force or Doozybots.

Ah well, at least MMPR would be the big thing for World Destruction Arc and Then the final stage of Rebirth would probably be Countdown To Destruction.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 2, 2011

• Locked thread