Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Just watched the episode where the mayor of Deloyer is forced out of office and blows his own brains out at his desk, and a rebel fighter, driven to alcoholism by the betrayal of his commanding officer, makes a hopeless charge at the Earth troops and is shot fifty loving times.

What was the intended audience for Dougram?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Just watched the episode where the mayor of Deloyer is forced out of office and blows his own brains out at his desk, and a rebel fighter, driven to alcoholism by the betrayal of his commanding officer, makes a hopeless charge at the Earth troops and is shot fifty loving times.

:getin:

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

It aired at 6pm on a Friday. So kids that just out of school. Votoms took over the slot when Dougram finished then Dai Apolon followed by a show about RC Cars. You get the idea. Though I'm pretty sure Takahashi went into the show looking to expand on the initial push robot shows got from Gundam to be something more.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

You need the gif of what happens right after, where he puts his glasses back on.

Not even justice. I want to, get truth!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
oh my god i need to watch dougram this sounds amazing

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I think one of the actors from Dougram was in an american cartoon

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Da Garn episode 21

My thoughts:

This episode marks the start of the third arc, and we are beginning to see how Seiji and the Braves are starting to change the world around them. Children are idolizing him and the Global Defence Organization are urging him to identify himself so they can work together. It remains to be seen whether that means that Seiji's secret identity will finally be revealed, but it is an interesting new struggle for Seiji, especially considering that it was his father who made the request.

We learn the identity of the man that killed Butcho: Violetche, the cat man. Although we haven't seen much of him yet he is by far the most intimidating villain yet. Unlike Redlone and Butcho, who relied on weaponry or brute force to be threatening, he clearly showed his dominance over Pinky without even having to lift a finger. Speaking of Pinky, it seems that she will take over Redlone's and Butcho's roles, she is the one who will be sending out enemy robots for this arc. We also learn that Ohboss is on his way to earth.

Although previous villains haven't liked each other, this episode marks the first time that two villains are actively fighting each other, with Pinky trying to assassinate Violetche. I mentioned earlier how I felt that Da Garn does teamwork better than GGG, and this is another example: In GGG all the heroes worked together, but so did the villains. I feel like Da Garn does a better job with teamwork as a theme by having the villains not work together so that they contrast the heroes.

Overall this episode was probably the best start of an arc episode, partially because it didn't introduce a slew of new characters. The action was again pretty forgettable, although it was somewhat improved by cutting back and forth between the robot battle and Violetche's battle against his assassins.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I used to think transforming Mobile Suits always looked goofy, but if the alternative is the detachable helicopter heads from Dougram, I think I'm ok with with transformations.

Also, I don't like new Festo.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
When the OP adds Dougram to the OP, use one of those screenshots plz

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

boom boom boom posted:

I used to think transforming Mobile Suits always looked goofy, but if the alternative is the detachable helicopter heads from Dougram, I think I'm ok with with transformations.

They're not heads, they're dedicated transport choppers. Also Dougram already is in the thread OP :sun:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
it doesn't have a picture

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Da Garn episode 22

My thoughts:

This was mostly a comedy episode, so this one will probably be shorter than usual. The only thing of plot importance that happened was that Pinky contacted Seven Changer in the hopes of forming an alliance so as to appear better than Violetche (who has found a Planet Energy reservoir) in the eyes of Ohboss. Seven Changer did not give her a definitive answer.

They finally reveal that Pink and Pinky are the same person, and her transformation between them is a Sailor Moon parody. Pinky's gimmick seems to be feminine-looking robots, which strikes me as a bit sexist, but about what I'd expect from a mid-nineties mecha anime.

Overall this episode is fine, but seems kind of like filler. There was some notably off-model animation, but that's about all there is to say about it.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I really want to know the story behind New/Old Festo. It's like they wanted to have a tragic death of a supporting character, but Takahashi also REALLY liked having Shigeru Chiba around.

Not that I can blame him. Shigeru Chiba owns.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

I really want to know the story behind New/Old Festo. It's like they wanted to have a tragic death of a supporting character, but Takahashi also REALLY liked having Shigeru Chiba around.

Not that I can blame him. Shigeru Chiba owns.

Festo and Giorgio actually have different voice actors, Festo was Kiyonobu Suzuki and Giorgio is the esteemed Shigeru Chiba. We may never know exactly what went on behind scenes that sentenced Festo to his bullshit doom.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I loved First Festo's death. It was so crazy and unlikely, I thought it was heralding the show taking a darker turn, starting the one by one deaths of the Fang of the Sun like was set up by the first episode. But then Second Festo shows up immediately and nobody has died in the like, 12 episodes I've seen since then.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Da Garn episode 23

My thoughts:

Unlike last episode, a lot of important plot development happened in this one: Seven Changer agreed to help Pinky against Violetche, but he seems to be playing both sides. Violetche, with Seven Changer's help, found a reservoir of Planet Energy using one of Redlone's old Planet Energy indicators. Seiji and Pinky almost learned each others' secret identities, but then they didn't (sigh). As an aside, the reason for that was that Pinky forgot to lock her front door, which is hilariously incompetent even for a villain of this show.

The action was, yet again, nothing special, although I will say that the enemy robot being based on dolls from the japanese Doll Festival was pretty neat and unique.

When I listened closely it seemed like Violetche refers to himself as "Atashi". This plus certain elements of his design and Seiji calling him a "femmy guy" in the next episode preview makes me think he's supposed to be a gay stereotype, which is unfortunate.

As a final remark: We're now halfway through the show! :toot: I hope that those of you still reading stay with mefor the second half.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
ahahaha OMG, Crinn being too afraid to tell the farmer his son died so he just ties the kid's scarf to the waterpump and then runs to the jeep and they peel off before the farmer turns around is the funniest thing.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Da Garn episode 24

My thoughts:

This episode is probably the best episode of the show yet, and I expect it to be a major turning point in the series. Seven Changer betrays Pinky (no surprise there), Violetche kidnaps Seiji and explains the villains' whole plot (there isn't really any new information for the audience) and finally: Violetche succesfully taps the Planet Energy reservoir which causes Africa to split in two. To rephrase: Violetche splits a continent in half! Not only has he in just three episodes become a more succesful villains than all the others combined, I honestly never expected the show to raise the stakes like this! One of my main issues with GGG is that the supposed threat of the aliens feels mostly toothless: Even though they're constantly attacking there's almost never any far-reaching consequences. This makes Da Garn a far more risk-taking and far Braver (ha) show than GGG, which overall feels very safe. This is all assuming this actually sticks, of course.

This episode also functions as a turning point for Seiji as a character: He realized that his inexperience as a commander was part of what caused this and admits he doesn't know what to do. I can only hope that this leads to further growth for him. I'm also intrigued by what Seven Changer's end goal is, I seriously doubt he's just one of Ohboss' lackies like the rest.

I must admit that my interest in this show was waning, but this episode has really rekindled it. The halfway point of GGG marked when the show started being less episodic and more story-focused. I hope the same is true of Da Garn.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
So Deloyer produces 40 percent of all of Earth's food, and Earth has to import more and more food every year as the population grows and the environmental damage gets worse, but Earth wine is still vastly superior to Deloyer wine? Man, either that Sahagin guy is a huge wine snob, or everybody on Deloyer is just loving terrible at viticulture.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Rita is Coconna! I don't know how I didn't recognize that voice for so long

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Droyer posted:

I must admit that my interest in this show was waning, but this episode has really rekindled it. The halfway point of GGG marked when the show started being less episodic and more story-focused. I hope the same is true of Da Garn.

I've noticed that the halfway point is usually where Braves shows start to pick up, at least in the ones I've watched (Might Gaine, Da Garn and GGG).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm halfway through Dougram now. I was already enjoying it, but once you hear a bit about the wider political situation and start to understand the real stakes of Deloyeran independence, the show gets a lot more interesting. There's a ton of different directions it can go in the second half and I'm excited to see what happens.

I agree with what y'all said about the show, there's a bunch of episodes that would not have been hurt if the Dougram had just stayed on the truck under a tarp the whole time.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

After a discussion on Steam yesterday I was encouraged to share my interpretation of the ending of Big O in order to maybe breathe a little life back into this thread. If you don't want to read a lot of words :spergin: over Big O don't read this post. Also huge spoilers, obviously.

There are a lot of clues throughout the show that the events and characters aren't real. The most obvious of these are the first and last episode of season 2, but there are many others as well.
"Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty". In reality this text was put on executioners' axes in order to absolve them of the sin of mourder. But consider the other meaning of the word "cast". Roger was cast in the role of Domineus by "God", Angel.
The book Gordon wrote. In the english dub he says it's a "lie", but that's actually a mistranslation. In japanese he says "Itsuwari no hanashi" which means "a false tale". This coupled with him referring to Angel/Big Venus as the books true author leads me to a single conclusion: That the world of Big O is a fictional reality created by Angel, who is either a literal god creating worlds or a person "creating worlds" in order to escape reality. For the second idea the scars on her back and how Vera treated her in the final episode can be seen as signs of physical abuse and abusive parents. The contents of the book happened, but only in the false "reality" of Paradigm city.

In this light a lot of the mysteries start to make sense: The several contradictory backstories are earlier worlds that she gave up on. Norman knew that he was Roger's butler and that Roger was Big O's domineus because those are the roles they are assigned. the memories are remnants of the role they served in earlier worlds. Angel is particularly obsessed with finding memories because she is the only person in the world without a role. The entire population of Paradigm is obsessed with gods: As soon as something strange happens the people blamed gods, Alex tried to become a god. Megadeus. It's in the name. It only seems fitting that at the end of a road battling false gods Roger finally confronts a real god.

It is clear that Angel, despite being the creator of the world, is clearly not aware of her powers nor does she have access to them until the very end of the show. She's an angel with her wings clipped. She's a god that's lost contact with her divine aspect. After reaching the lowest point of Paradigm she sprouted wings from her back before becoming Big Venus. And why did she become a Megadeus. If she is a literal god that might be her true form, and she created the other Bigs in her own image, or perhaps she chose the form of her world's ultimate symbol of strength: The Megadeus.

So what of Roger? Why is he given such an important role? Considering the reality where he was homeless and Beck was a respected member of society, it's possible Angel simply shuffles the characters when she creates a new world. But also consider the shot of mass-produced Roger androids in the final episode. If the escaping from reality theory is correct it's possible that Roger is Angel's idea of an idealized protector. In a previous world she created hundreds of him to guard her from any possible dangers. This would also explain why Angel fell in love with Roger, and why him rejecting her advances is the start of her descent into despair which ultimately culminated with her choosing to yet again give up on this world and create a new one.

Finally, the very end of the last episode. Angel recreates the world, but thanks to Roger negotiating with her it's almost the same as the last one, with a few key differences. Angel now works with Roger from the start instead of being the morally dubious double-agent from the last world. Dorothy's still there but she looks slightly off. Others have theorized that the reason she looks slightly different is that she is a human in the new world. I believe Angel caused these things to happen because she wanted to compete with Dorothy for Roger's love on equal footing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't have much I can really add to that, though it does make me want to rewatch Big O in the near future and keep all of that in mind. I've only seen it once and I do get the feeling that it's gonna go down just as good, if not better the second time around.

I love how it's one of those series where viewers can come out of that ending with a variety of interpretations, but even the people that dislike the ending still tend to feel it's a show worth watching. That's a mark of quality right there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

When I listened closely it seemed like Violetche refers to himself as "Atashi". This plus certain elements of his design and Seiji calling him a "femmy guy" in the next episode preview makes me think he's supposed to be a gay stereotype, which is unfortunate.

Nah. He's got a few things which make it clear he isn't that stereotype. He's just kind of flamboyant but not in that particular stereotype way. I was worried about that too

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

boom boom boom posted:

So Deloyer produces 40 percent of all of Earth's food, and Earth has to import more and more food every year as the population grows and the environmental damage gets worse, but Earth wine is still vastly superior to Deloyer wine? Man, either that Sahagin guy is a huge wine snob, or everybody on Deloyer is just loving terrible at viticulture.

This actually makes some sense. Even on Earth, there are very few places where the conditions are just right to cultivate fine wine quality grapes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Da garn episode 25

My thoughts:

This episode is a direct followup to the last one: Africa's splitting apart, lava is shooting out from the cracks, everything is hosed. Da Garn decides to sacrifice himself in order to close the gap, but Pinky sends robots to stop them in an attempt to save face. Meanwhile, Seiji follows all the fleeing animals, having learned from when Sky Saber died, and finds a giant lion encased in ice atop Kilimanjaro. The lion is of course a new Brave named Gaon/Ga Ohn/Ga Orn. He defeats the enemy robots and Da Garn traps himself between the giant landmasses in order to hold the fissure closed.

This episode is quite good, and a reasonable followup to last episode. Although it once again returns to "new brave saves everyone" it's more palatable here partially because it's been a while since the last one and partially because the stakes are higher and the peril they're in feels more believable. Although I doubt he's gone for good, especially considering they specidically mention he's still alive, putting Da Garn out of commission even temporarily is pretty bold for this kind of show and definitely Something GGG wouldn't dare to do. I also really liked how Seiji is showing that he has learned from his earlier adventures, unlike the GGG cast, which is almost completely static. I'll talk more about Gaon once I've seen him in action more.

Edit: I have been corrected.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 1, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Droyer posted:

Although I doubt he's gone for good, especially considering they specidically mention he's still alive, putting Da Garn out of commission even temporarily is pretty bold for this kind of show and definitely Something GGG wouldn't dare to do.

But that's actually exactly what happened in GGG. GaoGaiGar got smashed up by the first couple of Primevals when they appeared and King J-Der more or less took over as the show's heavy for a couple of episodes.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

But that's actually exactly what happened in GGG. GaoGaiGar got smashed up by the first couple of Primevals when they appeared and King J-Der more or less took over as the show's heavy for a couple of episodes.

Really? Sorry It's been a while since I saw it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Droyer posted:

Really? Sorry It's been a while since I saw it.

Yep, GaoGaiGar is out of action for the first couple of episodes of the Primeval arc while they introduce the space base and establish King J-Der. Interestingly based on your reviews it looks like it was done around the same time (roughly the halfway mark when poo poo got serious) and for roughly the same reason (elevate the stakes and introduce a new character) as Da Garn. I wonder if GaoGaiGar was deliberately taking a page from Da Garn, and if so whether Da Garn will come back with new upgrades like GaoGaiGar did.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I just saw Goshogun: The Time Etranger, which is a sequel movie to a robot series that has no robots in it whatsoever.

It's an odd duck. The show was a goofy parody, the movie is a serious and surrealistic look at a woman fighting death from cancer/injuries from a car crash. It's good, something you might even be able to show to people that don't know anime, it's just strange and unexpected. I really dug it.

I'm kind of weirded out reading reviews online and seeing that a lot of people missed that the desert town was a metaphor. It...it was not a subtle metaphor. It was not even close to a subtle metaphor. I guess the little girl flashbacks confused people?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Yep, GaoGaiGar is out of action for the first couple of episodes of the Primeval arc while they introduce the space base and establish King J-Der. Interestingly based on your reviews it looks like it was done around the same time (roughly the halfway mark when poo poo got serious) and for roughly the same reason (elevate the stakes and introduce a new character) as Da Garn. I wonder if GaoGaiGar was deliberately taking a page from Da Garn, and if so whether Da Garn will come back with new upgrades like GaoGaiGar did.

From what little I've seen of the other Brave shows it seems like they have quite a few different traditions that appear in some form in a lot of the shows. This might be one of them.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Da Garn episode 26

My thoughts:

Having finally learned the villains' plans last episode (and finally realizing that they still probably have a base in his town) Seiji decides to share this information with the GDO. However, a higher-up in the organization by the name of Gojo is suspicious since Seiji refuses to disclose his secret identity. He tries to have Seiji captured, but Seiji escapes and returns to his town to find it under martial law, with the GDO patrolling the streets with tanks and bringing a lot of people in for questioning, including Hikaru and Pinky. Violetche decides to send one of his mechs to help Pinky escape, but it's unclear if he does so to repay her for her help last episode or if he's expecting payment at a later time. Pinky transforms into Pink and escapes in the confusion. After Gaon defeats the mech Seiji tries to find Pinky but can't since she is now in her Pink persona, which leads Seiji to believs that the GDO still has her captured.

This episode was quite good, it seems like the quality has gone up considerably since the halfway point. Having Seiji and the GDO be at odds is an interesting direction to go in, although I feel that this show doesn't need a human antagonist. If they're ever going to reveal Seiji's identity now is definitely the time, and I'll be quite disappointed if they don't. If we assume this episode to be representative, Voiletche's mech theme seems to be sci-fi military vehicles, since in this episode he sent out a giant tank. I enjoy how each villain has their own feel. On a slightly humorous note: The happy-go-lucky ending theme has been ridiculously out of place in the last series of episodes.

Mecha:

Gaon is a giant golden lion and obviously brings Galeon to mind, at least in his animal form. He is bulkier than Galeon, and has a missile launcher on his back and a bird on his stomach. In robot form he has far more color variation: The gold is still there, but he also has a lot of black, and white and red highlights. In robot mode he has an axe for close combat and two handheld guns (one a machine gun and the other a laser gun). He can still use the missile launchers, which are now on his shoulders, and he can detach the bird (which is now his chestplate) and throw it like a boomerang. Unlike the traditional chest lionhead, his lionhead remains his head in robot mode, with his robot face being inside the lion's mouth. It gives him a somewhat unique feel, but I also think it looks kind of goofy.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Da Garn episode 27

In order to free Pinky and remove the army from his hometown Seiji agrees to cooperate with the GDO. Gojo agrees to his condition, despite not having captured Pinky and having neither the authority nor the intent to remove the army. The GDO perform a number of tests on both Gaon and Seiji, but they fail to reveal anything. Violetche sneaks into the base. Colonel Takasugi (Seiji's dad) shows Seiji a room full of Redlone's Planet Energy finding machines that the army has collected from all over the world, not knowing that Violetche is watching. Violetche attacks the base in order to steal the machines. Seiji intends to go out and fight but Gojo refuses to return the Director, saying that he issues the orders around here. Colonel Takasugi holds a passionate speech about how we should all unite against the alien invaders. Gojo is forced to give the Director back after all of the soldiers betray him. During the battle Violetche tries to steal the machines, but Seiji commands Gaon to shoot Violetche's transport ship despite the fact that it might crash down on him and his father. After the battle Seiji and Takasugi shake hands, vowing to cooperate in the future.

I'm glad that subplot ended quickly. It could have been interesting but Gojo was cartoonishly evil and the whole subplot seems really cliché, even for its time. It was gratifying to finally see Violetche finally lose his cool after he's spent the last six episodes being smug. I was also wrong about his theme. Rather than military vehicles, his theme seems to be non-humanoid machines made of crystal. The fight this episode was very good and quite tense, and since Violetche getting the machines isn't a complete fail condition for the heroes the show did manage to keep you in suspense until the last minute. Ever since the halfway point of the show the fights have gotten a lot less gimmicky and have started feeling more like real threats.

Before I finish this review I'd like to talk about one of the show's central themes: Environmentalism. It is clear from how the robots are spirits created to protect the Earth, how animals and nature occasionally help Seiji and the Braves and how Planet Energy is mined by drilling into the ground that the show is supposed to have one, but there is one problem: the villains are aliens. Unless it's revealed that humanity somehow caused Ohboss to notice Earth in the future, having aliens as antagonists removes the blame for the worsening environment from humans, where it belongs, and instead puts it in the hands of others. This makes the whole message seem very confused and poorly thought out. Even Captain Planet, as hamfisted and reductionary as it is, knew to have human antagonists because it is human actions that is damaging the environment.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Da Garn episode 28

Yet another plot heavy episode. The army tries to investigate Pink, under suspicion that she might be an alien. Hikaru accidentally learns het secret identity and is captured for it. Seiji tries to defend her, but as the army grows more insistent she finally tips her hand, revealing that she is both Pinky and one of Ohboss' underlings and that her house is actually concealing her giant spaceship. Seiji and Gaon manage to save Hikaru and do some slight damage to the spaceship, but Pinky still manages to flee into outer orbit. The episode ends with Seiji and Hikaru grieving over the betrayal of someone they thought was their friend.

This episode was good. You really could understand Seiji's pain when he learned that the Pink he knew didn't actually exist. Although Seiji knew the ringmaster, this still feels like the first time he's been betrayed by someone close to him, and I look forward what effect this will have on him, and the rest of the town, going forward.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm 43 episodes into Dagram, and none of these motherfuckers have died yet. Aside from the guy they immediately replaced and forgot about. The first episode promised all these dudes were gonna die, except Canary, and if they don't pay off on that, I'm gonna be upset!

I just watched the episode where Canary and Rocky went back to their hometown, and for a minute I actually wondered if they were gonna like, go to Festo's people's place and tell them what happened or something, but no, Festo has completely been replaced in everyone's mind by George.

George is terrible, by the way. Festo had a really good, interesting relationship with Heckle that I would've like to see develop further. But instead we got "GEORGE WANTS TO gently caress RITA BUT DOESN'T GET TO"

aside from that, show's really good, y'all should watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so the indie game developer Astro Port just released a new game onto Steam that's very relevant to this thread; Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser it's pretty good, and they have it in a bundle with the other three games they've so far released(Satazius, Gigantic Army, & Armed Seven) for only 15 bucks, I'd recommend getting it

• Locked thread