Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm kinda of hoping there's more focus on the robot's though,

Oh man, you're gonna fuckin' love Gaogaigar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Hi clawshrimpy I know you're reading this, come on in and post about how great GaoGaiGar is! The water is warm :)

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Paper Lion posted:

Hi clawshrimpy I know you're reading this, come on in and post about how great GaoGaiGar is! The water is warm :)

Man don't bring that evil in here.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I normally don't mind more activity in the super robot thread, but some things come at too high a price.

Never again.

Never again.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Paper Lion posted:

No! Don't tempt the fates!

I'm glad I missed the incident and only read bits of it after the fact. That's something that I never want to see happen again. I just hope that my dismissal of him won't act as the final straw that summons him... :ohdear:

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

That... that sucks. :negative:

Shin Mazinger was a really drat good show and it was definitely good enough for me to continue watching some more robot anime. Probably GaoGaiGar or G Gundam since i've heard of them before and they got a lot of recommendations. I'm kinda of hoping there's more focus on the robot's though, because I maintain that the best parts of Shin Mazinger were not the robots but the characters like Tsubasa, Ashura and the Kurogane 5.

The Big Bang Punch was pretty sweet though. :allears:

Yeah, Imagawa tends to focus more on characters and people kung fu fighting on foot alongside/against the robots. It's just what he does. G Gundam has the biggest focus on the robots of the stuff I've seen, and it still has Master Asia.

He's still one of the best robot show directors out there, he just has his quirks. (that are amazing)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are there any robot shows that are more about the robots than the characters, and not just in a screen time "show off the robots more so it sells toys" sense, but like as relates to plot or whatever?

I just want to watch robots blow each other up for 12 episodes without these silly squishy humans having boring conversations for 70% of the episode.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Schneider Heim posted:

In the Philippines, Daimos got a homegrown English dub, and I watched the entire show on primetime weekdays as a kid back in the early 90s. One of my friends managed to upload the first episode online: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1FCKINLhgOaVHNDUUNrclpoMjQ/edit?usp=sharing

It's actually pretty good.

Friend of mine lent me her box set of the Filipino dub for Daimos. It is an amazing dub and really fun to watch.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm totally down for Clawshrimpy to come back, just so I won't be the worst poster in ADTRW anymore :getin:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

ninjewtsu posted:

Are there any robot shows that are more about the robots than the characters, and not just in a screen time "show off the robots more so it sells toys" sense, but like as relates to plot or whatever?

I just want to watch robots blow each other up for 12 episodes without these silly squishy humans having boring conversations for 70% of the episode.

Yes. Transformers, and shows inspired by it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Machine Robo was all robots. Though the main character is just a human shaped robot.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
As is his sister, but I guess it'd be pretty weird if she wasn't.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Is Dangaioh worth watching? The OP rocks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's alright, it has some talented animators working on it and I feel like that's mainly the reason to watch it. Kinda felt indifferent about the cast and the story.

Still, at 3 episodes it goes by rather quickly so there's no harm.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Is Dangaioh worth watching? The OP rocks.
Well, it's animation is really good.

And um, there's probably where they blew all their budget on. With 3 episodes I can't even say they told a quick yet self-contained story because they didn't. The show literally just ends... with no real closure as if they ran out of money.

Yet it's probably still better than its sequel, the ironically named "Great Dangaioh"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Dangaioh is one of those shows that while flawed as it's own thing, is perfect when included in a SRW game

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Dangaioh is one of those shows that while flawed as it's own thing, is perfect when included in a SRW game
It has a pretty terrible track record though, since it's currently only in 3 games - Compact 2, Impact (which is a C2 remake) and the big bomb - K.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I know that K didn't sell because of the lack of UC Gundam, but was it really bad? I actually enjoyed it more than W (which is EVERYONE LIVES: the game. L was the one I didn't care about.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Schneider Heim posted:

I know that K didn't sell because of the lack of UC Gundam, but was it really bad? I actually enjoyed it more than W (which is EVERYONE LIVES: the game. L was the one I didn't care about.

Imagine L, except where the partner system is dumb and stupid and no fun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I kinda enjoyed K. It was easy as hell but dang if that criticism doesn't apply to a ton of modern SRW titles anyways.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

I know that K didn't sell because of the lack of UC Gundam, but was it really bad?
Not having UC Gundam seems to be the thing for the Nintendo Handhelds team since W actually so it definitely isn't for that reason.

(It's kind of interesting at their slow attempts to get rid of the mecha holy trinity. Getter had a one game grace with W and then disappeared along with UC Gundam. Mazinger had a hilarious terrible showing in K consisting of Mazinger itself and just about nothing else)

The big problem with K is that its Partner system basically doesn't work except for putting combiners into one squad. You kill stuff much faster with solos than with pairs because of how broken Combo is. A game being easy is one thing if it's intentional but a game where its supposed unique selling point doesn't even work is basically a game design failure IMO.

There's also some other issues with K which seems to be developmental in issue, such as how the music composer plagiarized tracks (at least from better games I guess, like Warcraft 2)...

Finally, there's the reason why K is so infamous - the writing. As far as I can tell, the crossover elements are not done that well, and the main hero of K - Mist Rex has entered "Ironic Meme" status amongst the community. I believe he was intended to be an "rear end in a top hat who slowly learns to stop being an rear end in a top hat over time" Archetype but written so poorly that he basically never stops being an rear end in a top hat so... final character result: rear end in a top hat with no tact who tells people to get over their dead wife because man, that's just a small thing you know?

I suppose if you play SRW by auto-skipping all the text it probably wouldn't bother you as much though.

quote:

L was the one I didn't care about.
I think the thing I'll say about L is that the Pair system is actually fun now but the cast list is a little bland but more in retrospect than anything else. It's basically the first appearance of the New-Age holy trinity (Dancouga Nova, Macross Frontier, SEED Destiny) which was OK at its time of release but can certainly be tiring depending on when you play it. Most of its other cast list are "safe" choices like Mazinkaiser and the Choudenji V bros.

L basically just had Iczer which is cool, but K had a much more inspired cast list including Gun X Sword, Dangaioh, Zoids Genesis and so on.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Didn't K also change SEED Destiny almost as much as Z did? Like Cagalli was essentially the leader of the main team and they ended up doing Destiny from her perspective, during which she just said "gently caress this" to sitting on the sidelines and went to space to knock heads?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Didn't K also change SEED Destiny almost as much as Z did? Like Cagalli was essentially the leader of the main team and they ended up doing Destiny from her perspective, during which she just said "gently caress this" to sitting on the sidelines and went to space to knock heads?
Yes. However, K also condensed SEED Destiny into 5 stages worth of plot (Berlin arc and final battle at Messiah are all we get). Stages 13, 14A-15A and 18-19 are where SEED Destiny happens in the game.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't use anything for scale, but it's a fittingly big box.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here's some more concept art of Jinraiger. I think the design is really busy and it makes me wonder how they intend to animate it, since I don't imagine they'll get a crazy high budget.

Looks wicked as hell though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

post the best battleships ya got

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fairly sure this originated the transforming battleship concept?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

THE GIANT ARM BATTLESHIP

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Just thought I should post that thanks to Gunbuster I got an A on my assignment concerning black holes and time dilation in Astronomy. :hellyeah:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

TARDISman posted:

Just thought I should post that thanks to Gunbuster I got an A on my assignment concerning black holes and time dilation in Astronomy. :hellyeah:

Coach is proud.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just finished watching VOTOMS. It was pretty fun, with some haunting setpieces, but I can't help but wonder how experienced the staff were when they made it. The cinematography was kind of flabby and amateurish, particularly early on, and it often felt like they were making up the plot as they went along, resulting in some clumsy, obvious welding together of plot points (much about Captain Rochina's characterisation and the Secret Society's goals and motives failed to make sense when examined as a whole, for instance).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I agree, and also will include the warning to not continue further unless you want to see chirico as space wolverine jesus

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muike posted:

Yeah I agree, and also will include the warning to not continue further unless you want to see chirico as space wolverine jesus

Oh, I don't intend to go any further. The original show was fairly self-contained (which is, paradoxically, why I'm harder on the wobbly bits - they don't feel like hooks for additional stories, but simply stuff that the writers didn't think through), and the final scenes were good enough and struck an appropriate enough tone that I don't want to see them get ruined by Fyana getting insta-fridged in the sequel. Kinda like how Aliens is the best place to stop in its franchise.

Speaking of, I wish Fyana had been given more to do in the Quent arc. I mean, yes, her not getting into many fights made serviceable character sense given her circumstances (she's not a big fan of fighting unless she's backed into a corner/Chirico's in immediate peril that she can do something about), but it's just plain fun seeing someone who isn't Chirico pulling the same insane one-man-army poo poo against hordes of bad guys, and that was a real highlight of the Space Battleship X/Sunsa arc.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah Fyana's cool when she's not absolutely helpless and may be the only jewish love interest in anime

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muike posted:

Yeah Fyana's cool when she's not absolutely helpless and may be the only jewish love interest in anime

I think 'helpless' is unfair (apart from that one time on Sunsa which I'm giving a pass because it's an obvious mirror of the episodes earlier in the arc where she had to do the heavy lifting for an incapacitated Chirico). It's more that she doesn't happen to have Chirico's bloodlust, and keeps getting put into positions where anyone, including our hero, would have no choice but to sit around and twiddle their toes (and we know this because Chirico also gets put into those positions, but less often and for shorter periods of time).

The end result is still a relative lack of opportunities for the badass super soldier love interest to do cool things, though, and it's an absolute crime that the Berserga DT never got a proper fight.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I kinda like Shining Heresy since it's weird in a way that just clicks with me. Definitely doesn't feel right after the way the tv series ended tho but I guess it's flawed in a way I like, if that makes sense?

And Alone Again is alright and a decent end to the space Catholic stuff.

Phantom Arc is the worst thing though

Srice fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 17, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'm still bitter they never found a way to do a buddy-duo crossover thing with VOTOMS and Mellowlink---myriad problems such a thing would present be damned!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fyana is my favorite character in VOTOMS but in the last arc she basically becomes Allelujah from Gundam 00. I'm pretty sure 80% of her lines by weight are her going "Chirico!" in various tones of fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I liked the prequels + The Last Red Shoulder more than the show itself, they make for a pretty thematic and self-contained story. The first episode of Shining Heresy was fun too, because it had two overpowered badasses going at each other.

• Locked thread