Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Yinlock posted:

I'm so conflicted about whether to watch SKL. On one hand, it's basically taking a giant dump on the whole series. On the other, the possibility of gritty 90s Boss Borot is just about the best thing ever.

For me, it's SO over the top it crosses the line again and becomes good. It's got pistols with clips, for god's sake, gigantic gun clips like the ones that you'd reload a real pistol with. Also, Nobuyuki Hiyama voices one of the characters, and you can't really ever go wrong with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I thought the show was fantastic.
I had no idea it was so poorly thought of.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too. What with the mechanic of everyone on Daiku-Maryu getting the spotlight at one point or another, it really felt like Star Trek with giant robots. Plus, seeing helper robots who exist to do more than show how much they suck by getting shot down constantly was really nice.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

SantaBla posted:

Keep in mind that the audience for Gaiking is a lot younger than the super robots by Dynamic Pro. I also don't see a lot of reasons to hate it apart from the fact that it's generic (and ofc the QUALITY). GGG was generic, TTGL was generic, Gravion was generic, I see this term thrown around way too often without meaning much.

Also, Dynamic Pro had absolutely nothing to do with it. Gaiking is 100% owned by Toei now which is why we're getting a live action of it. Worldwide release? High budget?

Under Dynamic Pro, this kind of poo poo would never have happened.

Whoa whoa whoa, GaoGaiGar was anything but generic. Watch your terms, there.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
The Kamen Rider shows are part of a series too. Are any of them generic? No. It just makes them part of a series.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
If anyone's interested, I compiled a very rough list of episodes to watch for Combattler V, similar to the list of episodes for Mazinger Z that cuts out all the filler.

1-5, 18, 25-33 41, 43, 52-end

This contains episodes with plot and with monsters that were seen in SRW. However, I'm not sure about the first half of the series-- it may be missing some important episodes such as Hyouma's duel with Garuda and Hyouma's arms being injured; I just went with 1-5 since I don't remember the first half of the series very well. If anyone decides to watch this and sees that it needs more or fewer early episodes, please let me know and I'll change the list for the next time I post it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

SDShamshel posted:

I'm pretty sure this list misses the episodes you mentioned. So I would add the following episodes (and possibly even cut out some of the earlier ones):

6, 7, 11 Hyouma's arm injury
12 The Sword Fight
Maybe 13 Hyouma's would-be girlfriend, as it drives home the hatred Hyouma and Garuda have for each other
18 I'm not sure is necessary other than simply being SRW-relevant.
24 Chizuru's illness
And then the second half is whatever.

So that'd make it:
1-7, 11-13, 24-33, 41, 43, 52-end

Since the series is pretty much nothing but monster-of-the-week and I doubt anyone would be watching it for any reason other than being SRW-relevant, I'm gonna go ahead and leave 18 in there. But otherwise, these are great changes, thanks.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Funny, I feel exactly the opposite about that. The Exbein looks great, but the Cybuster's got way too much goin' on.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Guyver posted:

Speaking of Dancougar, I was thinking of watching it when I'm done with Daitarn 3. Any opinions on the show?

It's quite good-- it's similar to Ideon in that they're both super robots fighting real robot enemies.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Zorak posted:

I guess it's vaguely Gundam like? But you do realize there is a car modeled explicitly after the Gundam, right?

That it's a loving amazing car in every way imaginable vastly amuses me.

I don't know why, but for some reason I can't see any resemblance to the Gundam at all in this car.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Hey, so I've been reading the Getter and Mazinger mangas courtesy of Dynamic Pro Scanlations, and I've been wondering what's the order to read this stuff in. Does Shin Getter come before or after Go? Similarly, does Mazinkaiser come before or after Grendizer? Apologies if this question has been asked and answered already, but I skimmed the thread and couldn't find it.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

Mazinkaiser and Grendizer aren't directly related, and don't really fit together.

But Grendizer is still sort of a Mazinger sequel, right? Or is that just something they added for the anime/for SRW?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Sherlock Hyde posted:

Holy poo poo, Gigantor's finally gonna be in one of these? The only thing that could make me more excited for this would be Giant Robo.

You mean the first appearance of Giant Robo? Because you're in luck, he's appeared previously in SRW Alpha. You mean the reappearance of Giant Robo? Sorry, because of some licensing issue or other they can never get him back again. I think it's the price.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I know that Kouji has a pretty big role in the show... does anyone know how dependent it is on you having watched Mazinger/Great Mazinger?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Or so you'd think if you only speak English. The reality is that most of the time they're basically overwriting the dialogue with whatever they want to and making it up as they go. It's no better than crap like Robotech or Voltron.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Shaezerus posted:

And yet, everyone outside this thread I talk Dunbine with calls it a Real Robot show. People are weird.

Speaking of which, is Dunbine really worth hunting down and watching, on its own merits, anyway? I've never really been able to work up much hype for fantasy-medieval-but-with-motherfuckin'-robots shows.

It's got a few things that might surprise you. I know I didn't really have high expectations going in but I felt pretty good about watching it once I'd finished.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Hey, hold on, come back here. You can't just post that and run off. What is this from? Some preview for a new Combattler show? (I know this isn't the case but hey, let a guy dream)

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Endorph posted:

Well, most of it is old/ugly/not sleek. Mecha might be fairly popular, but old mecha is decidedly less so. How many people out there are really gonna sit down and watch Jeeg, for instance?

Well, you've got one of them right here. I love mecha, especially mecha in SRW, so much I even watched God Mars.

Of course, what I'm really waiting for is the original Brave Raideen and Daimos. It kinda hurts having something so ubiquitous in SRW still unsubbed.

onepixeljumpman posted:

It takes a special kind of person to watch Combattler fighting a giant dragon monster who's head turns into a blender, or Domon and Rain shooting a giant king to stop the Devil Gundam once and for all and instead of going, "That's loving stupid," to go, "That's loving stupid. But I goddamn love it!"

Why do you even have to care if it's stupid or not, let alone force yourself to recognize that fact? If it's awesome enough, it shouldn't even matter how plausible it is.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Valentin posted:

So I've been inspired to go watch classic super robot shows after watching TTGL and playing some Super Robot Wars games. I've gone through New Getter Robo and Shin Mazinger Shogeki so far, since those are apparently the easiest places to start. Where do I go next with those two series? There's enough series and OVAs for each that I'm kind of paralyzed with all this choice.

On a similar note, there anything else that gives an updated take on classic super robot shows/is a modern show with super robot sensibilities? I've watched Big O and Giant Robo, too, and I like the relatively focused (not 78 episode long) approach to "giant robots fight big things."

Finally, would the ending to New Getter Robo make more sense if I'd seen more Getter Robo, or is it pretty incomprehensible either way? What the hell are Getter Rays anyways?

The best place to start with Getter Robo is probably the Getter Robo manga (Getter Robo, G, Go, Shin). Pretty much everything that's ever been made in the Getter Robo name is a giant love letter to that manga in one way or another.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Guyver posted:

Hey.

Super robots.

Preview for Obari's new short, Ziguru Hazeru.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPK8P8bjvU

Yep, that's an Obari robot alright. Am I the only one who finds his recent designs to be really pretty boring? They've got so many tiny details on them that they lack for a single defining feature and as a result all sort of blend together. The braid thing on top of this one seems pretty neat though.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

tsob posted:

Honestly, I like this far more than some of his older stuff. I like that the individual mechs all have animal faces rather than human ones and think they're pretty well done given that it's mostly down to a simple mouth plate design change. The combined bot also has some interesting qualities, most interesting being as you say the braid, though I dig the medieval armor look it has going too. I prefer the design of the smaller, individual units to be honest, becuase they do stand out a bit more with their faces and weapons (pig mech with a rake is a first as far as I know), but regardless I don't really think the main unit is any more complex or detailed than units like Dancouga Nova or Compatible Kaiser. In fact, if anything it appears to be simpler than them. I guess it depends how far back you want to extend that recent to though - they could both be designed within your definition of it for all I know (especially since I've no idea when either unit was designed in the first place off hand).

Edit: Damnit, meant to edit this back in to my previous post. Sorry :blush:

Yeah, my definition of recent includes those two (especially CompatiKaiser, big disappointment to me) and everything Gravion as well. This new robot is definitely the least objectionable out of all the ones mentioned, but it's still pretty drat busy.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Guyver posted:

Not really. The show has some of the worst art and animation I have ever seen in a series from the 80s and all the characters are loving frustrating. Not to mention how poorly written it was. Like in an episode the aliens attack the earth forces' munitions depot that must have had every explosive the earth had at the time and was so poorly built that one alien fighter crashing into it blew up a quarter of North America. Or the episode were a small gang of children dismantle an abandoned nuclear missile and strap its warhead to a golf cart they plan on ramming into one of the alien mechs.

I will admit that there is a cool scene between the alien emperor and one of his generals and when they do actually put some effort into the animation, which rarely happens, it's an eye popper to see Dancougar do its thing.

Unless you are really desperate for 80s mecha and have already seen Bryger, GoLion, Xabungle, Dougram, Dunbine, Macross, Ideon, Orguss, Mospeada, Vifam, L.Gaim, Southern Cross, Galient, Zeta Gundam, Votoms, Dragonar, Gundam ZZ, Patlabor and Machine Robo all of which have some kind of subs I'd avoid it.

Really? You'd recommend Machine Robo's lovely HK subs over Dancougar? Man, you must seriously have hated it.

Personally, it's one of my favorite 80s mecha. It's worth a few eps to see if you like it at the very least.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing I have to say about this conversation is that everyone should watch Da Garn and check out just how awesome Seiji is. He's like the best little kid protagonist you'll ever get. Seriously, go watch Da Garn.

For what it's worth, I plan to once it finishes getting subbed. The main character being similar to Kamille is actually a pretty strong recommendation in my book.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Clawshrimpy posted:

That's what it all boils down to.

Gihren hates the non-Spacenoids because Garma died, and Zeon Deikun thought that "Humanity can't truly evolve if you still live on a planet!"

The Titans thought that every spacenoid either needed to be heavily policed (to the point of abuse) or killed or they'll become Zeon again! And they were lead by a Newtype, ironically.

Char then decides to do the same thing Gihren wanted to, because of the Titans and Haman and crap.

in CE/SEED, Azrael wanted to kill all the "space monsters" while Patrick wanted to avenge Lenore Zala and create "THE COORDINATORS WORLD"

ANd in AGE, Flit wanted to KILL ALL VAGANS because of losing his perfect girlfriend.

What about Wing?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

With a name like that I can only hope that it's tremendously super robot.

I heard (from a guy who I didn't bother asking for a source, so take it with a grain of salt) that the influences are 'Zeta Gundam, Gunbuster, L-Gaim, and Linebarrels'. So I'm cautiously excited for it... but given the mention of Gunbuster and Linebarrels, VERY cautiously.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Are you talking poo poo about Gunbuster cause you and I are going to have to have words if that's the case. :colbert:

I guess it depends on what exactly they're taking from Gunbuster. 'Cause I could do without the fanservice and the training stuff that takes way too long, but I liked the science stuff and as Captain Invictus says anything from the last couple of episodes is good.

I think most of my problems with Gunbuster (few as they are) come from the pacing being weird because they only had 6 episodes to work with, come to think of it. And that isn't the case here since it's a full TV anime.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is Dunbine good at all? The thought of a medieval fantasy setting with giant robots in a non-shoujo series appeals to me.

I liked it, but I wouldn't really say it's a medieval fantasy setting at all.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Guyver posted:

While I wouldn't call them the worst HKsubs I've seen blind idiot is a decent description.

The show is worth it though.

I gotta say, I really don't understand this attitude. If a show is 'worth it' for anything, wouldn't it be 'worth it' to wait for a proper translation so you can be sure you understand the plot properly?

I mean, hell, I'm still waiting for proper subs for Grendizer even though I'm sure a lot of people think those horrendous subs that came out a year or two back are 'good enough'.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I like it, but I know a lot of people don't. I've heard complaints that the plot can be hard to follow, but that wasn't my experience. I also really liked the robots, the weapons, and all the characters.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Wow, but Hime's sub voice is the greatest, though.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

There doesn't seem to be a guy main character at least.

Reading the plot summery for the first time though...a member of royalty who can't use "mana"? Wasn't that the set up to another mecha show?

I don't know if he was royalty, but yeah, Break Blade had the same setup for its main character.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
If you can, I suggest reading the Getter Robo manga before watching anything Getter, it really adds a lot to all the various OVAs.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
I'd love to see Tobikage get a proper release or even full subs. I've been a fan of it ever since SRW Impact and it's a crying shame it didn't get enough support on that weird streaming/DVD site.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

IIRC that's the one i watched and they are quite good. It avoids obvious pitfalls like constant authors notes and senpies and applies appropriate nuance to dialogue that is meant to have it.

As awkward as the AiA subs are (and as unfortunate as it is that they're hardsubs) I still think they're better than G_P's subs, those subs are really quite incorrect in a lot of places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

I'll take a more natural dialogue flow and readability over a stilted attempt at 100% accuracy anyday but personal preference and all that.

I'm not even talking about '100% accuracy', just that they got a lot of stuff flat-out wrong. Nowhere near HK tier, but you might as well be watching another show entirely at that point.

• Locked thread