Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

So I watched the first 2 episodes of Gunbuster and it feels pretty meh to me. Does it get better for am I just missing what's great about it?
The first half is supposed to be like this parody of an old Sports anime or something (Aim for the Ace. Gunbuster's full title includes the phrase "Aim for the Top", ha ha ha hilarious?)

I'm fine with the early parts, but if you want to see a giant robot blow poop up, you're going to have to wait til the second part (lucky for you, this is only a 6 episode OVA I suppose)

quote:

Also am I supposed to have no loving idea what's going on at all in the first episode of Shin Mazinger Z if it's my first mazinger anything?
Yeah, it's intentional. Episode 1 is basically "here's a taste of things to come in the end-game."

Episode 2 is where the plot starts "traditionally."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I've heard that Gunparade March is a pretty bad show.
It was a videogame adaptation, I believe. Those don't particularly turn out well. The source material (a PSX game) is apparently considered a cult classic though.

That being said, I'm pretty sure people are recalling Gunparade March because of Muv Luv comparisons.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

somebody suggest a show that doesn't start with g
Tetsujin 28 (2004)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

-- Getter Robo Armageddon is the sequel to a drama CD that was never released outside of Japan and assumes you already listened to it.
I think I've heard that the Moon Wars drama CD was actually released after GR:A rather than before. So at least in that regards it probably shouldn't be a point against why it's confusing (which is mostly Imagawa's departure after doing his usual "setting up" style)

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
Nah, the best character is obviously Baron Ashura. The show should have been called Shin Baron Ashura instead.

In all seriousness, just about any of the supporting characters are probably a lot cooler than ol Kouji.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Is Dangaioh worth watching? The OP rocks.
Well, it's animation is really good.

And um, there's probably where they blew all their budget on. With 3 episodes I can't even say they told a quick yet self-contained story because they didn't. The show literally just ends... with no real closure as if they ran out of money.

Yet it's probably still better than its sequel, the ironically named "Great Dangaioh"

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

Dangaioh is one of those shows that while flawed as it's own thing, is perfect when included in a SRW game
It has a pretty terrible track record though, since it's currently only in 3 games - Compact 2, Impact (which is a C2 remake) and the big bomb - K.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

I know that K didn't sell because of the lack of UC Gundam, but was it really bad?
Not having UC Gundam seems to be the thing for the Nintendo Handhelds team since W actually so it definitely isn't for that reason.

(It's kind of interesting at their slow attempts to get rid of the mecha holy trinity. Getter had a one game grace with W and then disappeared along with UC Gundam. Mazinger had a hilarious terrible showing in K consisting of Mazinger itself and just about nothing else)

The big problem with K is that its Partner system basically doesn't work except for putting combiners into one squad. You kill stuff much faster with solos than with pairs because of how broken Combo is. A game being easy is one thing if it's intentional but a game where its supposed unique selling point doesn't even work is basically a game design failure IMO.

There's also some other issues with K which seems to be developmental in issue, such as how the music composer plagiarized tracks (at least from better games I guess, like Warcraft 2)...

Finally, there's the reason why K is so infamous - the writing. As far as I can tell, the crossover elements are not done that well, and the main hero of K - Mist Rex has entered "Ironic Meme" status amongst the community. I believe he was intended to be an "rear end in a top hat who slowly learns to stop being an rear end in a top hat over time" Archetype but written so poorly that he basically never stops being an rear end in a top hat so... final character result: rear end in a top hat with no tact who tells people to get over their dead wife because man, that's just a small thing you know?

I suppose if you play SRW by auto-skipping all the text it probably wouldn't bother you as much though.

quote:

L was the one I didn't care about.
I think the thing I'll say about L is that the Pair system is actually fun now but the cast list is a little bland but more in retrospect than anything else. It's basically the first appearance of the New-Age holy trinity (Dancouga Nova, Macross Frontier, SEED Destiny) which was OK at its time of release but can certainly be tiring depending on when you play it. Most of its other cast list are "safe" choices like Mazinkaiser and the Choudenji V bros.

L basically just had Iczer which is cool, but K had a much more inspired cast list including Gun X Sword, Dangaioh, Zoids Genesis and so on.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I think the Getter adaptations are all sort of interesting, yet all also fall short of their source material for one reason or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

and may or may not be a sequel to a radio play you definitely haven't heard.
I think it's been confirmed now that while it IS a sequel to the radio drama, the radio drama was created after the Anime, which means that viewers of GR:A aren't supposed to have any knowledge of it whatsoever.

• Locked thread