Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I wonder what Clawshrimpy's opinion on Betterman is :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but here's translations of the dust jacket and liner notes for the Giant Robo OVA. The liner notes contain some interesting stuff about it, especially in the later ones where Imagawa talks about things that were cut (notably there was originally going to be a battle between Chief Chuujo and Fabulous Fitzkarald).

http://keyframe.cjas.org/~mneideng/trans/giantrobo/

Worth a read if you're a fan of Giant Robo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Yeah, Because I was doing exactly what I am crusading against now, I didn't turn my brain on.

Then I re-watched GGG, then watched Shin Mazinger and those Getter OVAs again. They didn't hold up to the analysis I always apply to GGG.

Let's see: GaoGaiGar, Raijin-Oh, Machine Robo Rescue, VOTOMS, a few others I'm forgetting.

The only recent "mecha" show I liked was Digimon Xros Wars, and even then it's first season only, not the Young Hunters garbage. And that may not count as a mecha show.

You still haven't answered my question about Betterman

ie What your opinion is on it, or if you've even seen it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

mikeycp posted:

This is what happened. So, were the other episodes good?

Not particularly. In my opinion SKL ended up being aggressively mediocre past the first episode.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Crosscontaminant posted:

loving seriously, people, add Clawshrimpy to your ignore lists already.

He still hasn't answered my question about Betterman :colbert:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Bullying and abuse is wrong, and Getter Robo is about characters who are literal murders and criminals. And they are still portrayed as "heroes" because they think killing some dinosaurs can redeem them of being murderers and poo poo.

Read the manga sometime, man. Ryoma isn't a criminal, at the beginning he's a kid who goes around Japan challenging dojos because he believes Japanese martial arts has lost its way (his fathers way). Hayato is a genius turned student protester, which is really more of a zeitgeist thing. Musashi just came down from the mountains one day and it turned out he was compatible with the Getter!

They're violent misfits, sure, but they're not literal murderers and criminals.

At least know stuff about the poo poo you're arguing before you argue it. :colbert:

Clawshrimpy posted:

It's alright I suppose, the characters are kind of huge jerks for being set in the same universe as GGG. Akumasu are horrible protagonists compared to 3G. But from what I understand, with that planned sequel where the two storylines converge, Mamoru and Kaidou were intended to be the real heroes, not that idiot Keita and that stupid multi-colored haired chick.

That's fair. :tipshat: iirc, GaoGaiGo was supposed to take place before Betterman but after FINAL.

Hbomberguy posted:

So can you guys recommend any mecha shows that are a little more obscure than the ones that tend to get recommended here normally (Eva, TTGL, GGG, Mazinger and the like)? I extend this question to Clawshrimpy because the one show he happens to actually like so far is also pretty good. I like basically any kind of mecha show, I really loved both Shin Mazinger and Bokurano so I could go for anything. I just don't feel like sitting down to watch Gundam or part of some big franchise or whatever.

Check out Panzer World Galient, it's a sword and planet anime with giant robots. After you finish the main series, also make sure to check out OVA 3 for an alternate take.

e:

Mercury Crusader posted:

I would just like to add that some of these recommendations have links to torrents over on the OP. That being said, I recommend BRYGER because goddamn it's awesome! It's like watching some weird amalgamation of The A-Team, Mission Impossible, and Lupin the 3rd, only with a giant robot. Also, the soundtrack rules. I mean, check out this opening theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG5DaDCeEN8

BRYGAAA!

I'd also suggest Bryger.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 15, 2013

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Well, I just remember being told that both Armageddon and New Getter Robo were based on the mangas, and well, Ryouma and Hayato in both of those OVA's were basically psycopaths.

They are very loosely based on the mangas. It'd be more accurate to say of all three OVAs that they have shitloads of callbacks to the manga, but largely they tell their own stories.

Mercury Crusader posted:

To put this into perspective, one of the main antagonists of Xabungle and primary rival to the main protagonist throughout the entire show, Timp, is a shrewd individual known for being one of the biggest badasses in the show's universe, a manipulative gun-for-hire, one of the best Walker Machine pilots, and an excellent survivalist. And the following things happen to him throughout the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0JVtlhisd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ3vEFKHvn8

I think I'm going to go watch Xabungle now. :allears:

e: Speaking of lighter hearted Tomino shows, if you can handle the candle casual sexism you could also check out Daitarn 3, which is basically James Bond with a giant robot the show.

how did I make that typo???

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 15, 2013

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Your posting is still the loving worst, Clawshrimpy. Stop it. If this is some massive amazing troll spread across a dozen websites then congratulations, you've got me, but if it's legit, seek therapy and medication and stop posting here. The more you post the more it looks like you take less issue with a show itself and more with how a show portrays bad poo poo that happened to you personally. It's probably really difficult to admit you need help dealing with traumatic issues but dude, do it. Trust me. I've been there, you sound like you could use some therapy, and talking about anime you don't like on the internet sure as loving hell ain't it.

He really is loving everywhere, I was watching goddamn Godfrey Ho movies on youtube, scrolled down to the comments and there he was. It kind of freaked me out to be honest.

Speaking of terrible things, I legitimately want to see more of Ginguiser subbed. :unsmigghh:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

MG42 posted:

HK subs improved my watching of Mazinger Z tenfold.

HKSubs loving own.

My personal favorite:

e: Also, is it bad that I kind of want to see more of Ginguiser? I had a blast watching the first episode, it was so loving goofy and toyetic I couldn't look away.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Guyver posted:

The good people at TSHS have put out a Giant Gorg episode every week for the last four weeks. Get on that if you've ever wanted to watch Yoshikazu Yasuhiko's 1984 TV series.

http://skarohuntingsociety.blogspot.com/

I'm just starting Giant Gorg right now and five minutes in our hero is spray painting in a ratty subway car in New York City :allears:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The team behind Star Driver is coming back together for an anime called "Captain Earth". Not much else is know at the moment.

http://www.jefusion.com/2013/09/star-driver-team-reunites-for-captain-earth-mecha-anime.html

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Captain Earth sounds like the '70s super robot anime based on Captain Planet that never happened. I'm pretty sure only me and Mercury Crusader would watch that though.

I'd watch the poo poo out of that, doubly so if it has HK Subs.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Panzer World Galient owns, also make sure to check out the third OVA (the first two are just recaps of the series) for something different but still amazing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Does anybody know where I can acquire the BGM used for Hotblooded Combination Gosaurer and Saurer Magma Finish? The show isn't special but goddamn is the music amazing.

A bit of googling gave me this:
http://www.ecrater.com/p/18225082/go-saurer-saurers-note-1-original

I've never used ecrater so I have no idea how reliable it may be

However, if you don't want to spend 40bux for two songs, I uploaded them to Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYNth8nuI1U Hotblooded Combination Gosaurer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCKkP6snMr4 Saurer Magma Finish!!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Honestly I'm fine with there not being a Shin Great. Basically all the mysteries of Shin Mazinger are solved by the end, so all that'd be left is Tetsuya fighting against the Mycenae Empire. I guess Imagawa could probably drudge up some more old Go Nagai stuff to reference, but I just don't see a Shin Great being as creative or exciting as Shin Mazinger.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I'm one of the few people to have this opinion but I don't really like Getter Robo's manga very much, which is kinda ironic considering I loved Armageddon & liked Shin vs Neo(although I think it would have been better without Shin Getter Robo & there was no point to Ryoma showing up after the prologue considering he does jack) and I'd probably like New Getter as well
http://youtu.be/oT-5RFfvkAw?t=26s
:colbert:

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 13, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUzwb8UQMDY

This dude is great.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Always watch Giant Robo, even if you've seen it already.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Zorak posted:

I dunno, I was pretty bored by the J9 shows I tried watching. Seemed pretty generic all in all. :geno:

Baxinger is the Bakumatsu in space which sounds pretty cool to me. :colbert:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Have a really, really early rough sketch of the new J9.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GodofDiscord posted:

So quick question. Do Aquarion and Aquarion EVOL count as Super Robot Shows? Would people mind if I talk about my own experience with those two shows?

:justpost:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

XenaXena the Galaxy Pantheress :allears:

edit: there's nearly two years before it'll air so these are very likely really early designs.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 12, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I sure get sick of playing the good guy all the time. :stare:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It's honestly kind of impressive that they made an anime about giant robots fighting dragons seem boring.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

This is the first I've heard of this. Are the subs coherent?

No idea about sub quality, it's Discotek so it's probably not bad. They've also acquired the rights to Shin Mazinger Z and will sell it sometime next year.

http://www.discotekmedia.com/

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Crummelhorn posted:

Lelouch? Shinji maybe?

Shinji gets the hang of it fairly quickly. Kouji, on the other hand, spends like four episodes winning battles by pressing random buttons and not knowing how to stop Mazinger from moving. It seriously rules.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not even Italian but their Grendizer OP is hella rad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jANO2-6IM9E

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Imagawa usually takes multi-year breaks between directing duties. For instance, after Shin Mazinger he used his time to start a new G Gundam manga that nobody is translating for some reason.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've heard that Imagawa's Giant Robo manga has reached the Siege of Babel but nobody is translating that either.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nobody brought up Daitarn-3, which is basically James Bond: Giant Robot Pilot.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

M.D. Geist has an unironically good soundtrack. :colbert:

Also, crosspost from the Funny Panels thread in BSS:

ImpAtom posted:

So there's a Japanese robot show called Da Garn which is somewhat inspired by American comics. In the eyecatches they include comic book styled drawings of the characters, including English dialogue. However they didn't actually write dialogue for it but just used filler dialogue. This leads to pretty hilarious results:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Is Dangaioh worth watching? The OP rocks.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here's some more concept art of Jinraiger. I think the design is really busy and it makes me wonder how they intend to animate it, since I don't imagine they'll get a crazy high budget.

Looks wicked as hell though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

THE GIANT ARM BATTLESHIP

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Make sure to read the manga, it's really good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Tetsujin 28: Lingering Moon of Midday tonight. It's a very interesting film but really flawed. I can see why Imagawa doesn't like it. I'm glad I watched it though, it has some really cool and some straight up artful scenes, like Shoutaro chasing Shotaro through the house or the montage of Tetsujin disposing the bombs scattered throughout. There are other moments where you can see the cinematic potential if they weren't so clearly rushed. The soundtrack is really good, but that's to be expected from Akira Ifukube.

It definitely relies a lot on the viewer already being familiar with the characters of Tetsujin 28, and I had to explain a lot about who was who to the people I watched it with. If you enjoyed the 2004 series it's probably worth a watch but not really as a farewell to the series, if that makes any sense.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Bendigeidfran posted:

I never expected Lupe Fiasco to make a rap song titled "Mazinger" but here we are. It even has unedited versions of the Japanese and English Mazinger Z OPs at the beginning and end, like god drat. Dude likes him some super robots.

The verses are pretty abstract, so here's the Rap Genius for it if you want to read them and read what some nerds think they mean.

PS can anyone point out what dub he's using for Juuzou's lines at the beginning? It can't be Tranzor since it keeps the Japanese names.

Apparently there was a dub of Mazinger Z released by Toei specifically for Hawaii, several years before Tranzor Z.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVurGfseOII

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Panzer World Galient has some sweet official art

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

And also the best (only?) anime prog-rock OP.
I really need to finish that show.

Make sure to watch the Crest of Iron OVA afterward. It's an interesting alternate reality/alternate telling of the series. The other two OVAs are just compilations and can be safely ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I have a soft spot for the fight between Robo and Uranus in ep 3 of Giant Robo because the way Uranus attacks by just smashing into Robo repeatedly is kind of hilarious but makes sense when you think about it. Also the music is killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9uPILisdng

I also really love the sandpit fight at the end of The Soldier's Rest (ep 41) in Fang of the Sun Dougram, it made me go :drat: out loud.

I also like the fights in the first two episodes of Zeorymer, there's a really great sense of scale and atmosphere in the fights that make them an amazing watch, even for the flaws of the series as a whole.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 19, 2015

• Locked thread