Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Mercury Crusader posted:

All that talk about what shows are overhyped or what shows have a bad fanbase or whatever, and all this talk about Code Geass and Gurren Lagann, it just makes me sad. Code Geass is getting a new OVA thing, Gurren Lagann got two movies...

Nobody talks about how great Shin Mazinger is. Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Great-hen is never coming out is it? :negative:

Shin mazinger thought it a bright idea to start the series with the incredibly cool final attack on the bad guy and then follow it up with incomprehensible flash forward bullshit, they've only themselves to blame.:colbert:

Bitter? Me? Never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zeether posted:

I have movie 1 and 2, which I bought off Rightstuf for $40 since Mike Toole was talking about how much of a bargain it was, and boy was it ever. Both retailed for $90 back when they were released. :psyduck: Only saw movie 1, didn't watch 2 yet but I enjoyed 1 pretty good.

Hopefully someone rescues the TV series and the OVAs, like maybe Discotek since they seem to be the go to for expired Central Park Media stuff. I don't really think movie 3 sounds interesting, but I'd love to see the series since it's a little more lighthearted and more about camaraderie among the police force (or so it seems)

Also, the manga being rescued would be nice, but it was one of those Viz titles that got canned after like 3 volumes. One day, one day...

I just machine gunned the TV series having not seen the original OVA or the movies, but those happen in different continuities so it doesn't matter all that much. It was a lot of fun and 90% of the time very lighthearted, its definitely more police-mecha-slice-of-life rather than a flat out mecha show so unless you're onboard with the characters it'd get dull fast. Something worth noting if you do watch it; the real ending such as it is makes up the first 4 episodes of the 2nd OVA series so its worth finding that too.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Hbomberguy posted:

I've seen a few episodes here and there, and it is a pretty good show. It definitely picks up partway through story-wise and is very definitely a response to the tone of Evangelion (a show I don't like but let's not open that can of worms) and there's certainly more depth than Clawshrimpy seems to have noticed, his definition of depth ironically being the exact opposite.

Well great, now I'm going to start watching GaoGaiGar. Thanks for reminding me, Shrimpy.

Be warned it's a bit of a monster of the week slog for the first 18 or so episodes. Everything after that's amazing though.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fred is on posted:

the original cartoons really glossed over how loving scary Getter Rays are supposed to be.

Speaking of which that was something I never really got when watching new getter: if getter rays caused the universe to end multiple times why did ryoma say "no, gently caress YOU" and not give getter to the gods when they showed up? He'd even seen how lovely things turn out to be before that like the week before that happened.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Beware, great though GaoGaiGar is the monster of the week stuff can be really dreary before episode 19 or so. After that its plain sailing and cool robots though.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

GaoGaiGar Final is butt
Them's fightin' words.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
ugh...

I'm all for cutting crazy people some slack since they literally can't help it but that guy can die in a fire. Yes gaogaigar is good, its not the only good thing ever made and him projecting his awful awful life onto literally everything else is intensely tiresome.

Maybe if we all talk at length about how gundam is great it'll ward him off.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I'll throw in for watching GunXSword, that show is loving rad and pleasingly different to most mecha shows I've seen.Eldora FIVE!:buddy:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Instead of doing that he dedicates his sad life to being wrong about things on the internet. Actually things is too broad, its just mecha anime, that is apparently the only thing in his life.

Still best get back on topic before zorak starts busting heads.

Relating to GunXSword talk, I also watched star driver and SRW: the inspectors; loved Star Driver to death liked SRW but couldnt recommend it on account of the fanservice stuff.

Dudes with swords shout "CHESTO!" in all three shows typically when jump slashing a guy, I'm assuming its a kendo thing but can someone explain it?

Artum fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 29, 2014

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I'd settle for any super robot shows being made at all. Seriously wheres the genre gone? The closest thing in a while has been Captain Earth but that skews more to the real/hybrid robots side of things 90% of the time.

Everything else is going for the exaggerated seed style real robots lately; Valrave, majestic prince, gargantia, lagrange, etc.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

GunxSword.
Thirded, seriously.

Or the off chance you haven't seen them either Big O or Dai-Guard, but the number of people who haven't is a lot smaller these days.

Tenzarin posted:

What does that mean if I enjoyed them at the time?
Do you still like them after having thought on it?

Edit: For sheer density of robot fighting: Star Driver.

Artum fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 13, 2014

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Then definitely GunXSword, a big part of it is a takedown of the kind of stuff SEED espouses.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Kanos posted:

There is a specific antagonist character in GunxSword who is a very clear riff on Kira from SEED, down to his mech doing Freedom poses, sharing the same voice actor, and espousing a similar ideology. That's about the long and short of it.
Ray's speech in Volkein/Vulcans last fight always struck a chord too, bad guy invoking "you only live for vengeance, we live to protect and those who protect are always stronger!" and all that.

And then there's all the talk about forcing peace on the world on grounds of "our saintly leader who can do no wrong says so, and we have the biggest guns". Its not laid on as thick as some people make it out to be but its very much there.

Artum fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 13, 2014

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like I underestimated the amount of suggestions I'd get, it looks like i've got enough shows to keep me busy for a while so thanks for all the advice.

Also, I don't know if this would be more appropriate for the Gundam thread but feel free to suggest any non 'Super Robot' mecha animes that are good introductions for beginners. Because robot's are cool and i'm interested in all of them.

How has nobody recommended Full Metal Panic! yet?

It is a great show. Watch it, watch its sequel, cry when you realize the anime will never be finished and then read the manga FMP! sigma to get the ending.

Also seconding watching Dai-Guard and Patlabor.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Fairly sure this originated the transforming battleship concept?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Surprised no ones mentioned the fight between GaoGaiGar and Zonuda from the regular end of the show, that's always been a good one for sheer brutality and lack of stock footage.

The climax of Dai-Guard is another good one but that's in sort of the same grey area as the eva fights mentioned, though it is a microcosm of what makes the mecha action in dai-guard so damned good.

Its a bit of an ask given its a 50 episode series and 4 episodes of the OVA, but BOTH of the gryphon fights from Patlabor are some of the best robot on robot fights ever conceived. There's something to be said for punching someone in the head so much that you blunt your own fist.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Loose brought that up as being the "end of season 1".

edit: also no, it totally hasn't that's the palparepa fight and GGG/GFG fight that's been mentioned a bunch.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

KoB posted:

:colbert:

GGGG vs Palparepa is a lot of recycled footage from that fight too, but its still great.

EI-01 is a great episode but I dont think the fight choreography is above average or anything. Maybe I need to rewatch it.

Alright fine ONE time. :colbert:

The EI-01 fight is mostly good for the plotting and the music and so on rather than the choreography being anything fancy.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
That episode always felt like they were making the show and thought "poo poo there's no way we arent cancelled, lets just spend ALL the money".

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Actually that's another good one, Max and Millia's dogfight from Do You Remember Love https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1MlXmNSL7s

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Clearly.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

I mean, I can talk about the last robot show that's modern that I really enjoyed, Heroman?

But the most I can say about Heroman is that it's a very...... average show? It does have some legitimately great character moments that remind me of GGG, but it also has some bad things that give me terror flashbacks to GL.

Heroman is also a show I felt like would've really benefitted with more character development for some of the cast, and maybe punch of the development of the villain a little. Kogorr was by no means a poor villain, he's certainly leagues better than the Anti-Spiral, but he still falls flat in the end.

Srice posted:

If you genuinely want to improve I suggest trying to branch out of your comfort zone and talk about something besides how much you love GGG/hate TTGL.

You're so close, just talk while at no point referencing either of those shows.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Were you really not in this thread last time beef?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I really should finally sit down and watch GR. Recently finished G Gundam and basically everything about it gave me the warm and fuzzies.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

To be honest, I'd like that. I didn't mean to make a mess, I just felt bad for the argument before, and wanted to try to present my argument in a better way than I did before. it's a topic I'm just, very passionate about. Especially since I live with a brother who won't shut up about GL, and yells at me if I try to watch GGG in the living room.

This is just pissing in the wind but this does get to the point rather neatly. Nobody sees your point of view on those shows because youve clearly got enormous emotional baggage that informs most of your argument.

Artum fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 17, 2015

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The dub for mazinkaiser is an interesting beast, because it [i]would[\i] be a perfect dub if the voice actors didn't get the emphasis wrong on literally every proper noun and attack name.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Yazan and Scirroco are portrayed as pretty much the two worst people in existence, whats your point?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

I think Macross pulled that off pretty well, though. It just portrayed the people fighting in the war as, you know, for a lack of a better term, as otherwise nice people having to do this.

For example, Roy (and later Hikaru) was a lot better to those under his command than Char ever was.

Char is an explicitly broken person though.

Its not hard to be a better guy than him.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Gee I wonder why.

Unsarcastically though watch Dai-Guard.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Do give it time though the first 5 episodes aren't as good, after that it starts getting into good character building and sticks with that for pretty much the entire rest of the show.

The central conflict being about the best way to deal with whats more or less a natural disaster rather than people having a space war or whatevers always marked dai guard out as special.

Artum fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 17, 2015

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Blimey.

The first episode of Giant Robo is pretty drat good.

I cant help but wish more shows were made with longer episodes, twice as long but an episode every other week etc. (yes I know GR was the same sort of thing as unicorn)

Artum fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 17, 2015

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zero_Tactility posted:

The Day the Earth Stood Still? Yeah, there's a reason everyone won't shut up about it. It gets better, too.

Edit: Or are you talking about GR: Giant Robo?

Day the earth stood still, people talking about it finally got me to get around to it after 5 years of knowing about it.

Mercury Crusader posted:

The super robot genre died with the hopes and dreams of Shin Great Mazinger.

Fixed that for you.:smith:

Seriously, gently caress you Captain Earth.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Though I've yet to watch it the one thing people always praised about da garn was the protagonist starting out as a believeable kid who gets handed a bunch of super robots and acts as a kid would, but eventually comes to terms with the ENORMOUS responsibility that's been thrust on him.

So yeah what Srice said, watch more of it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Srice posted:

Yeah.

Also if anything it's more believable for a young kid to not immediately grasp why it's good to be a responsible person, until they see for themselves what happens when they mess up.

Exactly.

Like you can more or less buy Mamoru seriousing up because "hey kid you're a space alien now help us deal with this or we all die" and "hey kid have a giant robot buddy squad now go fight bad guys" are very different things to deal with.

Less humming and hawwing, more watching things and reporting back.

Speaking of which 2 episodes in Giant Robo is really scratching the combined itches of Punchy Stompy Mecha and earnest super-heroism and I love it.

Artum fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 17, 2015

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Giant Robo felt like a VERY different thing by the end, and waiting 2 and a half years on that 6th cliffhanger must have been the absolute worst.

Pretty much from 5 onwards I couldn't help but think you could just make it golems and all magic and it'd be a cut and dry martial arts epic.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Its the way it progresses which gets me really.

Giant robot, sure, its in the name.

Secret agent-y stuff, neat.

Dude whirling chain axes at helicopters, cool.

Guys with out and out super powers, okay then.

Taoist blood magic...

sure.

Murderous samurai phantom assassin, well that's almost less strange than the last one.

Lady with a monkey king staff,

Evil sorcerers,

Scheming viziers,

Armies of dudes in period Japanese armor casting jutsus at each other, you know what fine.

Zero_Tactility posted:

Did you like the climax? It's one of my favorite scenes in anything.

The final charge and such? Yeah that was rad as gently caress, FIRE ALL THE MISSILES! ALL OF THEM! IM SERIOUS!

Artum fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 19, 2015

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

It's the entirety of a famous mangaka's oeuvre as seen through the lens of Imagawa, the master of operatic drama, so that all makes perfect sense existing together. Plus father issues???? Imagawa's all over thata

I knew about that going into it, all the side characters being drawn from everything else by the guy because they didn't have the rights to the original tv stuff was an interesting issue to have to handle.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

muike posted:

it's almost like the japanese watchmen but way better

Its japanese watchmen if watchmen steadily transitioned into being a cowboys and Indians western while still being the same story.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Speaking as someone who didn't/doesn't (I haven't watched it since it aired) know enough about Nagai's work to pick up on any of those references I didn't find any of it off putting.

Really the only bits of Shin mazinger I didn't like were the first and last episodes. The first because its a poorly conceived mess and last because the the combi-rocket-punch just isn't my jam, not to say its bad or anything.

Artum fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

[b]that annoying as poo poo narrator{/b]

:frogout:

The completely over the top narrator completely fit the tone of the show.

• Locked thread