Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So I watched the first 2 episodes of Gunbuster and it feels pretty meh to me. Does it get better for am I just missing what's great about it?

Also am I supposed to have no loving idea what's going on at all in the first episode of Shin Mazinger Z if it's my first mazinger anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Valverave season 1 was fantastic, just for how (seemingly intentionally) dumb it was.

Then something terrible happened near the end of season 1, and season 2 just didn't have the same charm

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's really a shame, if Valverave had been able to keep that season 1 magic it probably would have been one of my favorite animes.

Not an anime I would call Good, mind you, but absolutely one I would call extremely entertaining. Which is really all I want.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

G Gundam

Gurren Lagann

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That sounds like literally exactly what you quoted

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Are there any robot shows that are more about the robots than the characters, and not just in a screen time "show off the robots more so it sells toys" sense, but like as relates to plot or whatever?

I just want to watch robots blow each other up for 12 episodes without these silly squishy humans having boring conversations for 70% of the episode.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There was a conversation about best Mecha fight scenes, and GBF wasn't included?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4-txHzY4ew&t=804s

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Zeta was, outside of maybe Victory or the even worse Ideon and Zambot 3, Tomino at his absolute worst. Zeta can best be summed up as a bunch of awful people who all hate each other, I mean, it's one thing for the different sides of the war to hate each other, but I mean, these people didn't even get along with the people on their side most of the time! Yazan basically treated Jerid and the other Titans like garbage, Scirocco was a horrid womanizer, even the crew of the Argama had really lovely relationships, given that, since that jerk Bright was captain.....he took the direct approach as per usual for dealing with arguments and bad situations. And Char was kind of a huge shithead to the people under his command.

These are all true things and are more or less what make Zeta good

I understand what your tastes are but personally I find dysfunctional people to be pretty interesting in fiction, so a whole show full of dysfunctional people interacting was kinda cool

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Clawshrimpy I'm genuinely interested in your opinion of Turn A Gundam

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy I still want to know if you ever watched Turn A Gundam, and if so what you thought of it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

EthanSteele posted:

I'm going to watch the poo poo out of Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still and nobody can stop me.

Oh well in that case I guess I won't try, thanks for the warning

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy I know Tomino killed your parents or something, but personally I think you should watch Turn A Gundam. None of the characters could really be called jerks (maybe that one convict) and both sides are very sympathetic. There isn't any "black and black morality" like other Gundam shows. I think it'd be interesting to see what you think of a good Gundam show if you removed the black and black morality complaint.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Who the gently caress told you Victory was going to be more upbeat?

Just watch Turn A, your principle of disliking everything this one specific guy made is stupid

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

I guess It wouldn't be the first time or the last

Here is me being genuine and not having fun at your expense: you should watch Turn A Gundam.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

In the first one they punched the moon. In the second one their arm encircled the Earth.

I'm excited just to see what the latest crazy punch will be

Also Evol was pretty entertaining (first one not terribly)

If someone had asked me "do you want a new Aquarion?" I would have probably said yes, even if the answer to "what top 5 animes do you want more of" wouldn't have included Aquarion

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There was a conversation about Captain Earth and no one linked the ED?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIxV9L51AIA

There's not a whole lot of reason to watch Captain Earth after seeing this.

It was kinda dumb how the main character was the ~leader~ when he was pretty much totally incompetent at everything he did, and his alien buddy who also had a giant robot was literally better than him in every way. The Earth Engine was a really cool design but I'm pretty sure it kinda got curbstomped in every fight it was in.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

This is actually one point I'll defend Captain Earth on. Daichi was a good leader and he was pretty much the emotional heart of the team. Both Akari and Teppei were far more competent in their specific fields, but Akari is too much of a :spergin: to actually lead a group and Teppei spends like 97% of his time moping around and accomplishing dick all gently caress until Daichi motivates him to come out of his shell and actually do stuff. Being a leader doesn't necessarily mean that you're the best at everything, it means you're good at getting other people to bring out their best, which he was.

It's not really Daichi's fault that the Earth Engine got the poo poo kicked out of it constantly either, since the Earth Engine was a giant piece of poo poo with no equipment to work with compared to Teppei's super energy barrier bot.

I think the thing was that any time Daichi was sent out alongside Teppei, Daichi mostly just seemed like a giant liability that never accomplished anything.

Not sure why the writers of the show made the lead robot totally impotent, then made a near identical robot show up that was 5 times as competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

I think the idea was that they built the Earth Engine with standard Earth technology for the most part and then built Teppei and Hana's units around their alien magic powers and their then greater understanding of alien mumbo jumbo. The big gun motorcycle things that Daichi and Teppei were using at the end were pretty much identical to each other so I think they just never bothered to go back and upgrade the Earth Engine with any of the new cool stuff(presumably because they were busy reassembling the thing after every time it blew up).

Ok but the main robot being completely overshadowed by its identical differently-colored robot twin is still boring to watch, so I'm not sure why they chose to write the show that way

• Locked thread