Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Linebarrels of Iron chapter 102 came out today. Here's a recap of what's been going down since the time skip, in case people are behind.
-Hind Kind now has tank treads to turn it into more of a Getter-3 knockoff (a gaiden chapter that takes place prior to Kouichi's disappearance but was published after he disappeared explains why this happens).
-Emi has taken to active duty as the pilot of Arma Tsukuyomi. She's...decentish, so far.
-There's a new Machina piloted by a Humanoid (the term for the Drakenguard moon babies and their ilk) girl named Makishi. Reiji convinces her to join by...showing his face to her and turning her into a fangirl. And Reiji is the only person she'll listen to, much to everyone's irritation.
-We learn Izuna's backstory. Turns out his dad was something of a colossal jackass (and former JUDA scientist), who wanted nothing to do with his own son because Izuna had a precognitive ability of predicting death. This scares Izuna's dad enough to eventually drive him to attempt human experimentation on his son using Deceive, against orders no less. Deceive responds by making Izuna its Factor and impaling the twins' father with cables, in a manner much like how Miu was made into Painkiller's Factor.
-Speaking of Miu, if you thought she was unstable pre-time skip...she's gotten worse. Her record label drops her, and gives her one last farewell concert that goes to poo poo because of the whole joining with the Katou Organization (that's now protecting the Earth alongside JUDA). See, people still haven't gotten over how Katou was an evil organization 18 months prior and hate them, even though for the past 18 months they're the only people who've been able to drive off Humanoids. So, naturally someone throws a CD with hateful messages scribbled on the front which causes Deceive to go full-Humanoid and flat-out murder the entire concert attendees. Okay, so apparently Izuna's little precognitive ability has been dormant since he became a Factor. His interactions with Miu in recent months have slowly re-awakened it, and the head JUDA scientist (not Rachel, the older dude who's name I forget) realizes that Painkiller and Deceive have some kind of connection due to how they chose Factors and can morph into Humanoids somehow. To make matters worse, Deceive's berserk rampage causes Izuna to get captured and used as a hostage (Shizuna escapes unharmed). Izuna recaps his backstory, and pretty much tells Miu that Painkiller is linked to her feelings of weakness and is taking advantage of her unstable mind. Miu takes this as well as you'd expect; she goes berserk and fuses Pard and Roc with Painkiller to make some...giant beast Humanoid thing. And then kills Izuna, while her whole face gets distorted thanks to fusing more and more with Painkiller. Trust me, the images are a little disturbing, so heads up on that. She flees and is MIA. Oh, did I mention Izuna predicted his death at Miu's hands? He did, and also told Miu that too.
-While all of this is going down, the United States aren't exactly happy that the Katou Organization is kicking rear end, and is the only people making efforts against Humanoids. So, they arrange a closed-door peace talk with the Humanoids. Said Humanoid representative comes in the form of Abraham Lincoln. No, I'm dead serious. Turns out he's Makishi's grandfather and basically told her to use her own judgment when approaching humanity, as she's something of a sleeper agent/observer for the Humanoids. So, when the Humanoids attacked 18 months ago, Makishi kinda was upset and began fighting them. Also, his landing perfectly recreated the UFO landing scene from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", right down to the location.
-Sawatari has reemerged and has met with Humanoid Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial (subtle, I know). No details on what was said between them as of this post.

That's the recap of major events. Now for chapter 102:
Sawatari manages to wreck the Arma Tsukuyomi with Lostbarrel, and as chapter 101 showed, has the jagged face lines that Kouichi, Ishigami and Miu have had in the past. At the same time, a Humanoid ship tries to nuke everything in Manhattan with a giant skull face thingie. The ship gets stopped by the return of Kouichi and Linebarrel, who isn't too happy to see things are a mess. Granted, he hasn't heard about Miu or Izuna yet.

tl;dr: SMG scanlations has caught up with the manga, and new chapters are out. Enjoy the madness.

AradoBalanga fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Potsticker posted:

I thought I was pretty lost with these new chapters of Linebarrels coming out recently, but after reading that breakdown (Thanks for the summary!) I realize that the stuff that didn't make sense was mostly due to me just forgetting who some of these characters are.
No problem.
I'll admit that one of Linebarrels' faults is that it has a habit of jumping around randomly without giving you a chance to slow down and take in stuff. The artwork doesn't help matters at times (seriously, Machina/Arma/Jinrai limbs are so thin in places :psyduck:), and that the writing just wants to get from point A to point B immediately. Rarely do things slow down enough to take in everything, like Soubi's introduction arc way back in the beginning.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Baron Ashura Girl/Boy... I don't even... :haw:

Oh hey, here's the trailer! Robot Girls
Okay. How do they do something like this, and make Great the SHORTEST member of the team? What the hell?

But yeah, this is :japan: to the max. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the eventual Getter Robo-chan....

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

60+ replies since last night? Something new super robot show must have been announced!
Nope. Just Clawshrimpy being a troll. Why did he waste $10 on an account again?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Okay. Those "Dino Getters" look...what's the word...clunky. Like, too much detail has been put into the design. Still, I'll wait until I see them in motion before rendering full judgment.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

If any of you have played Super Robot Wars Z2, you could tell that Banpresto most likely wanted to incorporate the Gurren Lagann universe into the likes of Xabungle, Overman King Gainer, Big O, Turn A Gundam, and Gundam X in the previous game, especially considering that both Kamina and Simon in Z2 have unique dialog when they support attack and support defend with either Jiron or Elche (Kamina basically refers to the Sandrats as honorary members of Team Dai-Gurren and Jiron and company are all hyped about that). I wonder if they'll ever revisit that theme properly; they kinda shoehorned in that relation in, and I'd like to see that more fleshed out.
They sort of do it again in Operation Extend with the Eldoran kids becoming honorary Gurren Brigade members and looking up to Kamina. But, it's more that Kamina makes an huge impression on them rather than their universes meshing together. Which is interesting since NEO had them hanging around the New Getter Robo team, aka the most insane versions of the trio and the LAST people you'd want to hang around the Eldoran kids.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Linebarrels of Iron chapter 103 is out.

So, time on the Moon flows differently. For Kouichi, it was only an hour between his disappearance and return, as opposed to 3 years on Earth. He gets reacquainted with everything (height, age and boob jokes occur), including Maxi's...personality and Izuna's death. Kouichi starts blaming himself for rescuing Miu back when she first became a Factor, but Douymuji tells him to not blame himself. Sawatari seems to now be working with Humanoid Abraham Lincoln, and they have their eyes on Kouichi for [insert Evil Plan # here]. The chapter ends on a cliffhanger (this series has a fetish for these things, seriously) with Shizuna and Kiriyama in Nagasaki in front of a hangar that holds what looks like a Machina.

Either Deceive got rebuilt and she's going to be its new Factor, or Painkiller's new form got captured off-panel and is being reconditioned somehow, since Shizuna states that "she" wants to keep on fighting. Even though I don't think Deceive was ever referred to as female in the past, I'm leaning to the mystery mech being Deceive due to Shizuna's comments.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well...that...was a thing. I got nothing else.

Other than Baron Ashura still continues to be the butt of jokes/sight gags/etc no matter the continuity.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

Stop taunting me.

No Great-Hen is sad, but no more Giant Robo has been my proof that we live in an imperfect world since elementary school.
Dude. We're still waiting for the 14th Gundam Fight to happen. :negative:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

That was exactly what happened. At this point, I wouldn't be against at least seeing a definite conclusion to the story.
Given just how badly Prince of Darkness bombed (like, it was a Gundam AGE level of a flop, IIRC), that may never happen. The closest we would have had was the HD re-release of the Nadesico TV series, but nothing came out of that.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It is going to be incredibly depressing when that replaces Kouji in a SRW someday.
You know....in Z1, Kouji has a moment during the Black History where he sees a version of Mazinger he doesn't recognize.....

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just Mazinkaiser.
I think it was supposed to be Shin Mazinger, but yeah, I was making a joke based on ImpAtom's statement.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wow, could that actress show any less emotion? :effort:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The people at SMG have finally released chapters 104 and 105 of Linebarrels of Iron.
http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/kurogane-no-linebarrel-r1555

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Artum posted:

I'll throw in for watching GunXSword, that show is loving rad and pleasingly different to most mecha shows I've seen.Eldora FIVE!:buddy:
I really want an Eldora Five spinoff show. But it'll never happen because GunxSword is almost a decade old now and a blip on the radar. :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Didn't K also change SEED Destiny almost as much as Z did? Like Cagalli was essentially the leader of the main team and they ended up doing Destiny from her perspective, during which she just said "gently caress this" to sitting on the sidelines and went to space to knock heads?
Yes. However, K also condensed SEED Destiny into 5 stages worth of plot (Berlin arc and final battle at Messiah are all we get). Stages 13, 14A-15A and 18-19 are where SEED Destiny happens in the game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ginguiser is getting a mobile game, apparently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGflMwBWg8U

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I initially thought that Danny Trejo was wearing a weird shirt under that jacket. But nope, that's a tattoo on his chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

so how does this tie into the spy kids universe
Dark future of a parallel world.

But don't quote me on that.

• Locked thread