Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

GorfZaplen posted:

The team behind Star Driver is coming back together for an anime called "Captain Earth". Not much else is know at the moment.

http://www.jefusion.com/2013/09/star-driver-team-reunites-for-captain-earth-mecha-anime.html

I've heard of some doofy mecha series names before but that takes the cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I just finished reading Mazinger Angels again and I have to ask is Big Daitan from anything or was it and it's pilot made from whole cloth?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'm one of the few people to have this opinion but I don't really like Getter Robo's manga very much, which is kinda ironic considering I loved Armageddon & liked Shin vs Neo(although I think it would have been better without Shin Getter Robo & there was no point to Ryoma showing up after the prologue considering he does jack) and I'd probably like New Getter as well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Mercury Crusader posted:

I really want to see Guinguiser in a (mainline) Super Robot Wars game. If people can get hyped about God Mars and it's amazing two frames of animation, they'll go nuts for Ginguiser's janky, jerky, confusing animation!

Don't forget the explosions that take 30 seconds to finish

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

So, I stumbled upon this by accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqrmIQ5vVrc

For those of you who don't know, Mighty Orbots was a 1984 animated series that was made for America and cross-produced between American, Japanese, and Canadian animation/writer groups. Until today, I'd never seen any of the Japanese version, which is a totally logical thing to exist.

Like, they picked good voice actors but it's so trippy to watch. I love the original Mighty Orbots because it has some cute gimmicks, good animation, and an absolutely period-perfect Golden Age Japanese Super Robot OST. Watching it dubbed in Japanese ("Orbots, gattai!") only drills in the amazing soundtrack choices deeper along with how earnestly executed a lot of the other concepts in the show were (in the Carl Macek era, no less). Other than the fact that the show is obviously not being aired in its original language, none of it seems out of place.

More than anything it's the fact that it's basically a well animated version of Godmars(at least in design) is simply amazing

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

WOW THAT'S BEEN BOTHERING ME FOR YEARS. I couldn't ever point out what it was, just that Orbots reminded me of someone.

It's funny that the Godmars comparison is made, because Mighty Orbots (the show) is the most anticlimactic and child-friendly poo poo ever (it's only 13 episodes and it's not serial, try to catch at least the first and last episodes on Youtube). Mighty Orbots (the robot) is both bizarrely lacking AND strangely well-made as a unit; it has no traditional attacks of any kind (it wins fights mainly through grappling, although it is capable of generating tools to aid its missions) but 7 loving pilots, all with well-established personalities and contributions including a Combattler-style Ignition Key robot. For a robot with no weapons, its power set is really well thought-out, too-- the powers of each Orbot are a single-flavor gimmick that, when combined with the others, allows Mighty Orbots to create anything Rob can conceive of out of thin air while making complete sense the whole time.

And yeah, it's strangely well-animated given everything else, like how THERE WAS NO TOY LINE.

Yeah it's the complete antithesis of a modern super robot series(although it'd fit in well with the various pre-Mazinger Z shows like Tetsujin and Astroganger)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So today I watched the Mazinkaiser movie and man despite being pretty nicely animated and having some emotional moments, overall I have to say it's probably the crappiest mecha anime I've seen in a long time, not to mention horribly inconsistent(Mazinger Army units are barely capable of damaging or killing Mikene yet conventional missiles are), needlessly grim and violent, and despite being only about an hour in length it feels way too long(seriously it's about 45 minutes longer than it needs to be, you can tell they only had about 15 minutes of plot written so they padded it out badly), indeed there's only two good things I can say about this turd; it had good music, and once Mazinkaiser shows up the last fight scenes are pretty good(although he steamrolls the Generals too easily for my taste), overall on a 10 scale I'd rate this movie a 3 out of 10

PS almost forgot, the most damning thing about this movie is that we didn't get even a cameo of a Kedora, despite there being multiple points in the movie for one of those to show(I really like those greebly little monsters)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on May 20, 2014

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

AzraelNewtype posted:

Kedora was created by Ken Ishikawa in a one shot manga, it's not really a proper Mazinger Z concept. Shin Mazinger ran with it because Imagawa gives no fucks about things like that, as he was assembling disparate parts of various Go Nagai stories as it was. Damning a movie that was essentially a retelling of Mazinger Z vs the Great General of Darkness with Kaiser taking Great's place for not including a different author's side story is silly.

Had no idea about Ishikawa creating the Kedora, also I wasn't being serious about that part, although you bring up a good point about how horribly Great Mazinger jobs in that movie despite them making a point that the true Great Mazinger is almost as strong as Mazinkaiser in the series(also I find it hilarious how little the two guy members of the Mazinger Army matter, all they do is show up and die they don't even kill anything and don't even show up in the grave scene in the end credits, they were basically only there to wank off the Mikene)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

aers posted:

Fukuda mentioned on twitter he is actively storyboarding and directing for the show.

Also it is 2-cours.

Fukuda being involved is the only thing about it so far that really has me worried(cause SEED/SEED Destiny was awful, and he's a massive idiot even by Entertainment Industry standards), otherwise it seems overall sound from what the trailer showed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Srice posted:

Way I see it, it all depends on the tone.

If they go in a sillier direction then that would be cool because nobody remembers Gear Fighter Dendoh much less Fukuda directing it, but that was a pretty fun show!

As long as we don't get a repeat of SEED's horrible Ultra-Violence, I'm sure it'll be at least somewhat watchable(it's notable that I have seen only one anime made after SEED get anywhere near as tastelessly violent, and that was Blood-C which coincidentally was also terrible, unwatchable garbage)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Srice posted:

I think the emphasis is on tasteless. It's not the first time I've heard that complaint, that the few ultra violent scenes are just jarring and feel really out of place in what is essentially a soap opera (though on the other hand I guess it does fit in with how unsubtle the series is).

Pretty much, that and the fact that Gundam is supposed to be at least somewhat for children makes it really stupid(seriously how did they think showing the effects of a Microwave cannon onscreen was a good idea)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

I haven't watched any kind of mecha series since the end of 00 Gundam, recommend me something with robot fighting.

Well they've started releasing the original Mazinger Z series here in the states, so I'd recommend that(or Captain Earth if you want something more recent)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

This is the first I've heard of this. Are the subs coherent?

--but, but, the mecha designs are rad as gently caress!

I'm only a couple of episodes in but overall the subs seem pretty good, also the show has been surprisingly realistic in one particular regard, Kouji in the first couple of episodes is an absolutely horrid pilot with no idea how to do anything with Mazinger(in stark comparison to Sayaka who's actually pretty skilled at piloting Aphrodite A), indeed I can't think of a main character in a Mecha series who starts off as a worse pilot than Toei Kouji(although I'm probably forgetting someone)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

I'm still waiting for The Siege of Babel.

I will wait forever.

well it isn't an official version, but here's an awesomely made doujin for Super Robot Wars 64(which was Giant Robo's debut game in the series) that's basically Siege of Babel;

SRW 64 Rai Kanketsuhen Part 1(yes despite having MKII in the name this one goes first)

SRW 64 Rai Kanketsuhen Part 2

someone really needs to translate this one cause it is full of awesome

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 26, 2014

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd recommend Mazinkaiser, but don't watch the movie made for it as it's an awful mess(the OVA is good though)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dangaioh is one of those shows that while flawed as it's own thing, is perfect when included in a SRW game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

speaking of Digimon, do we have a thread for it here on SA?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

thank you

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

surprisingly, when you make a show where there's lots of robots running around and blowing each other up, people usually want to see the robots running around and blowing each other up and not the rando first cousin of the guy blowing robots up as he makes a sandwich and goes to school

on that note I just watched Makyou Gaiden Le Deus and basically the biggest failing of it is that the super cool obari as hell robot only appears in the last five minutes. apparently mecha design was by Kazuo Sano and Mitsumoto Omori and they did a pretty good job but googling them gives me zilch. other than that it's nothing too special, just a neat little 80s OVA that's an okay way to kill 45 minutes

prolly gonna put it in one of the srw things im doing since it adds a little bit more motive to the route split centered on adventuring through the land being treasure hunters, and provides an emperor dude that I could use since the one from Dragon's Heaven doesn't appear at all (but here he only appears at the very beginning, asdf i want more cool overdesigned 80s emperors jeez) plus Midnight Shout is a super rad song

haven't seen Le Deus, all I know about it is that it has the most boring opening of any Mecha series ever, although I'm liking the way you think regarding SRW ideas(the amount of ideas I have for SRW games I'd make if I could would literally fill a book, possibly several)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I really wish clawshrimpy would shut up about gaogaigar because that show loving owns and he's turning people off it by being so insufferable.

I agree, and while I don't have much against the guy, even if he's annoying(I can sympathize, also having mental issues, albeit very mild ones compared to whatever Clawshrimpy has), but considering how often and severely he derails this thread I think he should be banned from posting in this thread, if not outright banned in full

also to put this thread back on topic, what's a mecha series that you wish had gotten a proper official release here in the United States, for me the answer is an obscure anime from about 10 years ago called Get Ride AM-Driver that has a pretty interesting sounding premise, not to mention a :krad: toyline, supposedly a company brought it to the states on DVD but they apparently never finished it, so it doesn't count in my opinion, unfortunately even finding raws for it is pretty hard, and as far as I can tell only about 13 episodes out of 51 are available subbed on the internet, also it'd be pretty neat to see it in a SRW game one day

OP 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTH8tuAHUN0

OP2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5WP4o5sH3Q

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I might get hung for saying this, but I'll admit I really don't like the Getter manga very much(except Shin and a couple chapters of original and G), especially Go which I felt was pretty mediocre outside of the art and it's way too bleak, dark, and violent for my tastes as well(but then I have an extremely low tolerance for that sort of thing)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah it kind of sounds like Go Nagai's stuff other than maybe Mazinger isn't your thing. :v:

well most of the animated stuff of his I've seen was fine(Devil Lady is a fantastic horror anime), but yeah a lot of his manga from what I've seen I probably wouldn't like(that and the fact that he rarely ever gives his manga proper endings)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

so the indie game developer Astro Port just released a new game onto Steam that's very relevant to this thread; Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser it's pretty good, and they have it in a bundle with the other three games they've so far released(Satazius, Gigantic Army, & Armed Seven) for only 15 bucks, I'd recommend getting it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I've finally gotten back to watching Mazinger Z, and I get to episode 8, and my god it might just be the single most sexist episode of anything I've ever seen, like it makes some of Tomino's 90's era stuff seem sane in comparison, like it was a bad enough episode that I'm not entirely sure if I want to continue watching the show and it's been years since I've had that sort of moment with an anime, I'll probably continue anyway, but goddamn does that episode suck

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The whole plot of the episode was(ignoring Baron Ashura's really dumb plan) about Sayaka wanting to get Aphrodite A upgraded to be actually useful in a fight, and just under half of the Photon Lab's staff as well as Professor Yumi and Koji shooting it down for reasons that don't even remotely begin to make sense, especially since it had been shown multiple times already that Aphrodite A in it's current state is useless in a fight and yet they keep deploying it despite it usually getting the crap kicked out of it, and since at this point Sayaka is still overall a better pilot than Koji it's even more baffling, not to mention by the end of the episode Sayaka just gives up on trying to be useful saying a really dumb line about Aphrodite A being Mazinger Z's girlfriend, and I get an aneurism just thinking about it, I'll probably continue watching anyways, cause up till this point I've been enjoying the show a lot, and it'd be a waste of my money if I just stopped(since I bought the Discotek release)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah the only reason they probably never bring up how much of a dick Toei Kouji is during Mazinger Z during the SRW games that the Toei continuity appear in is probably due to pretty much all of them skipping over Mazinger Z and going from either Great Mazinger or Grendizer onward

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

I can't wait to hear what you think of Go.

can't remember if I've mentioned this before but chalk me up as one of those rare people who didn't like Go at all, didn't really feel like it did anything besides mechanical design well

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

I have read volume 3 of Getter Robo Go.

A British lesbian, obese Canadians, overcoming racism, and finally, [i]finally, tits. This series has everything! Seriously, the international robots are so great, it's Pacific Rim now!

A strong focus on repair and maintenance of the robots, the Getter use just a rifle instead of a magical ax, the bad guy robots are piloted instead of just being monsters, the main character has to use a little lovely robot cause his big cool robot is smashed up. Is Getter Robo turning into a Real Robot series?

Personally I hated that cause the Getter Robo Go stays wrecked longer than it actually does anything, makes a very large chunk of Go really boring to read(although the other parts aren't all that great either)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

The last couple episdoes of Blue Gender shoulda been one episode, IMO. The Blue hit their preset kill limit. They reached their limit and shut down, now the Earth is cool. Got it. We don't need a big fight with a Super-Blue and Yuji going into a laser flower. That was just filler.

But beyond that, it wasn't a bad show at all! Why were you weirdos all, "Blue Gender? Ew, don't watch that show."?

If I remember properly part of it has to do with Blue Gender having an amazingly awful movie adaption of the show that tacks on a really confusing and bad ending

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FortMax posted:

Discotek's picked up Gaiking, coming in 2016.

And that SD Bluray release of Samurai Pizza Cats is actually happening.

Original or LODM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FortMax posted:

Original.

Hope this does well so we get a release for LODM as well eventually(also kinda surprised that Discotek hasn't said anything about bringing the original Getter Robo anime here yet)

• Locked thread