Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Silentman0 posted:

Live action Gaiking movie.

Speaking of the Gaiking Movie is that still being made or is it stuck in Development Hell? I haven't heard anything about it since the teaser trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I didn't realize someone subbed Daimos. :stare: I must have. Though sadly I don't think I'll ever see a full sub of the series. The closes I'll get will be the filipino dub.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Bob Smith posted:

Very variable in quality - it is filled with parts where they speak too loud/too quietly or far too fast. Also they arbitrarily change names of characters, and Daimos' attacks.

That's a pretty good summary. You still get the overall feel of the show though the acting tends to lean a bit heavily on the more dramatic side of things. Especially on the love interest side. But it's still enjoyable to watch.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
That new "more hip" Voltron is terrible beyond words. The CG Voltron TV series done in the late 90s was leaps and bounds better.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Guyver posted:

In other rage and/or hatred news. Voltron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwTB0cOh9lk

...Yeah.

That's some lovely animation right there.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Televisio Frankus posted:

I wouldn't mind a Shin Daimos, with several more "A's" added in BLIZAAAAAAAAAADO.

I'd watch that in a heart beat. That and a reboot of Voltes V.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

A human heart posted:

This isn't quite right, Getter Rays are apparently conscious with a will of their own, and their ultimate goal appears to be the incorporation of all life in the universe into themselves.

That's kind of how they explained it in SRW W. They had Getter Rays be the same thing as The Power from GGG.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Godannar is one of my favorite super robot shows. There are so many homages to mech desgins and the characters are pretty fleshed out. I'd love to see them in a proper Super Robot Wars game with all the units and not just the main ones.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Saw the 30+ posts and thought they announced a new super robot anime. Come to see a new guy white knighting GGG harder then anyone I've ever seen. Guess I've been only reading SA for too long. Who is this clawshrimpy guy and why does he have such a hard on for GGG besides that he holds its story on a fine pedestal of golden marble?

To contribute to the bantering. GGG was a fun series to watch but disqualifying every other super robot show as being terrible seems like a broad assumption. It really just sounds like you want a show about the "knight in shining armor" coming in to save the day with a side of giant robots and that any show that does have gleaming knight is not worth your time. Does that also mean that you consider shows like Voltes V, Zombot 3, Jeeg, Gunbuster, and Getter unworthy of praise for their works? Shows that make the heroes encounter choices that aren't always black and white and full of miracles.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

moral ambiguity is okay if it's done well, like GGG FINAL's second episode. But there's a line that ends up crossed in a lot of mediocre/bad mecha anime where the heroes regularly become jerks or outright villainous that I really really don't like.

70's mecha anime was largely not good at all. Mostly because the stories were not interesting and the characters were kind of stereotypical. Even the overall plot was some play on "Mad scientist wants to take over the world." "Pissed off Dinosaurs want to make Humans extinct!" etc. and some of them, like Zambot 3, are incredibly morally repugnant where none of the "heroes" really are one.

then the 90's came along and well written ones like GaoGaiGar, Raijin-Oh, Dagwon, and a few others showed us how well character development and story could be done in these shows. However, after that, those 70's remakes (Shin Mazinger, Kotetsushin Jeeg, Gaiking LODM, etc.) and TTGL made it, so instead of that good writing and character development, the polish instead went to explosions, and stripped the writing and characters down to how bad it was in the early days.

You didn't really address my comment about you wanting your "knight in shining armor" over any character that has to have the heroes journey or character development. Because so far that seems to be the only plot format you like.

I'm assuming, since you haven't gone into any detail on your example, that the moral ambiguity that you're trying to use is the episode in which the clone Mamoru goes on a ramapage through 3G and Guy has to fight him. If so the ambiguity is rendered void almost immediately afterwards when he's revealed to be a fake. Had they actually had the real Mamoru do all that then it would be morally ambiguous since there must be something really dangerous that would cause a character to turn 180 on their stances.

Your arguement for 70's super robot anime being cliche is also flawed in that most of those series started the trends. Combining robots started in the 70s with Getter, Voltes, Zombot, Combattller V, etc. And you can't be fair if you're saying that they ran with the cliches of "Mad scientist taking over the world" or "Dinosaurs invading Humanity" and you're not calling out GGG for the same things. GGG is a show about "Dinosaurs invading Humanity". Only those dinosaurs are aliens that are also mad scientists that are changing stuff for their purposes.

You also seem to fixate on mentioning that explosions and flashy effects are what super robot series fall on when writing is as good. GGG has tons of large explosions and flashy effects. Final fusion is a prime example of this and every time they show it gets flashier. Majority of the series was "monster of the week" formatting until they shifted it to focus on an older demographic and even then its format was still similar to sentai series. You bash Shin Mazinger a lot but it was a show with great writing, direction, artwork and development. You just have to be willing to accept that characters can have development and learn.

Whether you care to actually debate about story-writing and show development of super robot shows is up to you. But so far all you seem to be doing is waving a large GGG flag around without giving any credible information or argument that the series is this ivory tower you keep speaking of. If you're going to defend a series to the death at least start using specific examples from said series. Else you'll just appear to be defending it based on what you've read from its wikipedia entry.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

So what, what's so bad about "knights in shining armor"? It's certainly better than "heroes" who you can't even root for because they are just as bad as or sometimes worse than who they are fighting.

Yes, that was the scene I was referencing, and it's not registered void just because of the clone reveal, in fact, THAT'S what makes it genius. "clones" were used to great effect with the Cylon infiltrators in the new Galactica show over here, and I don't see how clones or replicants can take away from moral ambiguity. in fact, it's a good method of doing it without painting the heroes as completely irredeemable.

GGG isn't the same as those 70s show, though, both the Zonders and the Sol Lords were a deep analysis of the relationship between humankind and AI. Sure they seemed evil at a glance, but they were extremely sympathetic when you consider their goals. Where in say, Mazinger. Dr. Hell was nothing but a crazy scientist who wanted to play Hitler with the world. Voltes V was just a Gundam-ish racism story between "the horned and the hornless." so it's pretty ridiculous to compare them like that.

Also, GGG wasn't really known to be flashy. In fact, one could say the action is the big "weakness" of the show because of the rampant use of Stock Footage. GGG strengths has always been in the interactions between the characters and the story at large.

Yeah, you're picking and choosing what you want to argue about and what just gets slid away. I was going to try to see if you actually had validity to your argument but you've so far only seem to focus on the black and white aspects of shows. Any shows that have any gray area are lumped in the black.

You're actually rebutting yourself with your own sentences. You want villians who are sympathetic because of their goals and then you go back and rail on how all Gundam series of terrible and evil. You do realize that a reason why Gundam series, especially U.C., is good and interesting to watch is because it shows you both sides of the battle and each "villain" you encounter has their own reasons for making their choices and shouldering burdens. That ambiguity is suppose to be there for the viewer. For each side in the series they see themselves as in the right for their own causes while labeling their opposition evil. You mention that Voltes is a story about racisim and that it's a fight between the horned and not-horned people. GGG goes the same with the Zonders, Primevils, Sol Lords. Each one of them sees humanity as being either weak or a threat and want to oppress or destroy them. GGG was flashy even with stock footage and you know it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

What Kamina did was way worse than what Gendo did. in a way, Kamina manipulating Simon to "BE A MAN" and his abuse was actually a much more sinister form of emotional manipulation than what Gendo did to Shinji. in essence, Kamina was trying to brainwash and contro Simon to be a figurehead for this cult, essentially. and for that, he needed to make Simon into a clone of him (sort of like the boy in that one Trek TNG episode where the emotionally scarred boy tries to be like Data.) And once Kamina died, the seed of his rebirth was planted in Simon, and eventually Simon repeats the process to abuse Rossiu.

So Kamina's actions were actually a great deal worse than Gendo's actions.

So what you're saying is that a guy that Simon looks up to as an older brother figure, in a harsh wasteland world where earthquakes killed his family, who tries his best to be the strong supportive type the best way her knows is way worse then anything Gendo Ikari ever did to Shinji. The same Gendo that isolated his own son throughout his whole life, treated him as a tool of war, psychologically warp his perception of life and others, just so he could hook up with a clone of his dead wife to summon back the soul of said dead wife into said teenage clone.

Welp I guess if you think so that's your opinion. At this point though I'm agreeing with Paper Lion that you may want to see professional help with your ability to gauge reality and social interaction. Or at the least take nature hike and breath some fresh air.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

KoldPT posted:

That *is* pretty much clawshrimpy 101. I don't want to get helldumpy in here, but he's been around several boards with people I know and, well, his weird ideas on things don't exactly come from nowhere.

I love a good series with herculean heroes as much as anyone else. Hell that's half the reason why I watch Super Robot/Sentai/Kamen Rider series is to see good guys be awesome and win. But at this point of the argument it's starting to tread into issues that aren't related to any robot series cept maybe Ideon.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Went to get my wisdom teeth pulled and come back to 200+ posts with Clawshrimpy. Glad I missed that.

I am super stoked about a new Getter series. Is it following a pre-existing manga or will it be completely original?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

HitTheTargets posted:

Captain Earth sounds like the '70s super robot anime based on Captain Planet that never happened. I'm pretty sure only me and Mercury Crusader would watch that though.

I would watch this whole-heartedly.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Well I was going to get SRC Genesic GGG, but with SoC GaoGaiGar coming out I might say gently caress it and save my money for that :stare:

If they do the rest of the GGG team that would be glorious.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Go for Turn A. Like everyone says it's not bad but won't really fill you up either. I'm going to be on a plane for 11 hours on Wednesday so I'm going to start up my second playthrough of SRW Z2.2.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I know I'm kinda asking for a really specific thing, but it sucks that there aren't more Giant Robot vs Carnivorous Alien Terrestrial defense shows.

Does Getter Robo Armageddon count? I can't really think of another super robot series where the aliens eat people. Usually it's just wanton destruction of humanity and that's it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Saw that one too. I'm well aware that's a slim genre. I grew up on Aliens and Starship Troopers so I was hoping for something like that in anime form with robots.

Gunparade March might be similar to that. It has an unknown alien invasion with military forces trying to combat them in giant robots. There's a bit of high school life thrown in but for the most part it's focused on the alien threat.

Godannar has alien invasions of unknown origins too. More super roboty then GunParade which is more miltary drama. You just have to be able to look past the large amounts of T & A.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

onepixeljumpman posted:

I fell into that category for a bit. I watched the first episode of Godannar however many years ago and just couldn't handle the fanservice, but I've shifted in how I intake anime, so I don't know if I'd feel the same anymore. I'll put it this way: Having gotten into something like Kill la Kill, do you think Godannar would fall into my tolerance range for flailing anime boobs?

You'll be fine. Like Srice said the show plays the fan service straight faced and no one even bats an eye. Think of it the same way no comic characters question why guys are chiseled sculptures of rippling muscles and girls are well endowed all around.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was like "Hey... the dubbing isn't so bad, I don't know wha--- HOLY loving poo poo WHAT DID HE JUST SAY?!" :stonk:

That was my reaction as well. :stare: Is that actually translated from the original dialogue or something they added in the dubbing?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Broken Loose posted:

Gear Fighter Dendoh.

Are there complete subs for it? I don't think it ever got licensed in the US.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Schneider Heim posted:

In the Philippines, Daimos got a homegrown English dub, and I watched the entire show on primetime weekdays as a kid back in the early 90s. One of my friends managed to upload the first episode online: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1FCKINLhgOaVHNDUUNrclpoMjQ/edit?usp=sharing

It's actually pretty good.

Friend of mine lent me her box set of the Filipino dub for Daimos. It is an amazing dub and really fun to watch.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I did like that the series itself was a sequel rather then a reboot of Jeeg. It also showed how badass Hiroshi was and still is.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

I have a hard time reading sarcasm is all.

Anyway, umm, So...I really think more people should give Heroman a look if they haven't already. While it's mostly pretty average, it does have a few moments that does really make it worth it. Just, it does have a slow start and it does have some pacing issues in the beginning, and the main love interest is really really bland and boring, and sometimes the villains are not so great, but I think the characters and some of the story elements really do work well, maybe not GGG well, but well enough. it just has a problem with being consistantly good

One of the problems I had with Heroman was that it doesn't tread any new waters that other hero series haven't done already. Sentai and Kamen Rider series have done a lot of the themes that Heroman's characters go through. Likewise many super robot series do the same. I was stoked when I heard that Stan Lee was assisting with making an anime. I just found it really boring and didn't like the pacing for the show.

I also support the idea that you should check out Dai-Guard. It has the heart of the super robot show through and through.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

If it does have a coherent plot, it went way the gently caress over my head. It just seems like a huge freaking mess.

Robot Fights! annoying narrator, umm....greak mythos, weird brain things, more greek mythos, hey a good episode about a interesting scientist and his daughter! No wait time for more confusing greek stuff! Baron Ashura stuff, more Baron Ashura stuff, A fake Mazinger and Tsubasa is cursed or something, Dr. Hell making his move, NOTHING BUT ROBOT FIGHTS, Cliffhanger.

And Master Asia being like Char isn't filling me with confidence since Char was a lovely person too, and the show is still rpetty drenched in the might makes right we can only communicate by fighting stuff.

That's because Master Asia and Char are suppose to seem like bad people. They're presented as peak individuals but they themselves are ultimately flawed. In challenging the ideals of the main protagonist they come to understand this and also help the hero of the story move on.

Your earlier comment about G Gundam being about "communicating with your fists" is interesting because if you are calling it a flaw or cliche then it also applies to a lot of other series; GGG included. Many super robot shows also adopt the symbolism of channeling through physical combat because it then allows our heroes to combat their enemies not only on a physical level but also emotional.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

Let's see

GGG, Big O, maybe a few others I can't think off the top of my head.

Suprising a lot of Super Robot shows are actually black and black, like Getter Armageddon (can't speak for the manga) and Gurren Lagann.

GGG is for the most part a black and white series. The antagonist are there to destroy or subjugate humanity and monster of the week don't count since they are just humans slaved to serve.

Getter Armageddon is pretty black and white as well. Ryouma and Hayato's actions while extreme and borderline crazy are still for the sake of defending humanity from the Invaders. Hayato even helps establish a defense force during the time jump. Ryouma gets Rip Van Winkled ahead in time but knows that he still has to stop Dr. Saotome and by extension the invaders.

Most super robot shows are black and white. To say something is black and black means that both sides have no redeeming motives.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

Does one sacrificial act wash away every bad thing they did? Really?

Kamina's death moment didn't wash away what he did to Simon, so.....

As said before I don't think you can really use GL for any example if you don't understand the points of the series. You keep hounding on about all the abuse and terrible things Kamina did to Simon at the first half the series. Did you block out the part where he has a serious talk with Yoko about what he's been doing all this time? That he's only playing the part of the "Cool Older Brother" for Simons sake. That deep down inside he's terrified of the Ganmen and all that is happening but that he recognized that Simon is the one with the true courage and power to make a difference. He acts cool, tough, stern, and at time cruel for the sake of strengthening Simon's resolve. If he ever showed Simon that he was afraid or scared of the enemies then Simon's own blind devotion to him would lead down that path. His death martyrs his ideals not only within the Gurren Lagann but also inside Simon himself. A good contrast to this is when Simon gets stuck in the Sea of Despair. There we see another possible Kamina. One that talks big but doesn't follow through and apologizes and belittles himself to get out.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

But that implies that it's worse than the shows that I hate just ebcause the characters in the shows I hate have "flaws"

When it's not true, GaoGaiGar is better than all those shows where the characters who are supposed to be the heroes act worse than the villains do! When GaoGaiGar develops it's characters so much better than the shows where the heroes engage in villanous behavior

Your first sentence summarizes pretty well why you'll never understand any show you watch including GGG.

Almost all the characters in GGG are sterotypes played straight. Guy is in essence infallible because he has no flaws and he'll get through anything as long as he tries hard enough. He's one or two traits away from being Gary Stu in the show. No where near the Maho Academy levels though.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Steam posted:

Mamoru's group of friends? Classic school group archtype. The brainy kid, the brash and "big" one, the rich girl, the shy girl next door, and Mamoru as the "leader".
3G's major command group? Another classic group archtype with Taiga as the dude in charge, the absent-minded professor, Guy as their dude in the field, Mikoto as the girlfriend of said dude in the field always worrying about him, etc. And that's okay! GGG's still a fun show that I enjoyed watching and I liked all the creative uses of pre-existing hardware they used to solve various situations. Majestic Prince is another show that doesn't have the heroes at each other's throats all the time and most of the characters are quirky and not outright flawed. I liked that one a lot too.

This is not an inherently bad thing. Even really big stories with lots of character development like A Song of Ice and Fire skimp on development and depth of a lot of characters. That's the reason there are "side characters" and "main characters".

I meant Archtypes not sterotypes. Not sure why I went there. Your explanation Steam sums up what I was trying to get across.

Clawshrimpy posted:

But if the show in question lacks development and depth, doesn't it prove right everyone who says GGG is nothing but the kid's show everyone claims it is? That's it's effectively belongs in the same bin as Transformers and Digimon and has no literary merit compared to show where the main characters act horrible?

I just have a hard time accepting that.

It is a kids show. That's why Mamoru, a kid, is the main protagonist and why he has a really cool "Big Brother" to look up to, get support from, and to garner values and virtues from. In the same way Wataru has a father figure in Ryujinmaru in Machine Hero Wataru.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Steam posted:

He does that. One time I talked to him over AIM clearing up some false preconceptions he had about Build Fighters, but not long afterwards he was saying how the only way Z3-2 could be worse is if it had AGE or GBF in it.

Oh man, If he's into SRW I'd love to hear what he thinks about SRW W. Where Gaogaigar, Go Lion and Shin Getter Armageddon are all in it. And one of the big reveals is that G-Stone, GoLion and Getter Rays are actually the same source of power just interpreted differently.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Srice posted:

To be fair with SRW that stuff can be left to the whims of the licensors.

Like back in the PSX days when they set up stuff with Giant Robo and welp can't use it anymore.

SRW still has one of my favorite alternate takes with Evangelion with SRW MX an Alpha 3.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Omnicrom posted:

Armageddon isn't in W actually, they used the generic "Shin Getter Robo Manga version", which usually means "TV Getter team gets the Shin Getter". I also don't really remember if the Getter Rays=G-Stones was actually a thing either. The Database (people from a previous universe) repeatedly mention that the previous universe's Getter was more dangerous and Getter Robo Armageddon-esque but I don't think they ever specifically tied Golion and the G-stones to Getter Robo.

Do tell.

You're right. I got confused with Shin Getter being in the game with Stoner Sunshine. I seem to recall there being a mission, possibly against the Z-Master where Getter and GGG both get powered up by Jupiter and they determine that the power source is memories (like how Getter rays are in Armageddon). Memories of Guy's parents and memories of each of the Musashi. I was pretty sure there was a part about that.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

I'll say this, Alpha 3 handled GGG's plot better than W. Only problem with Alpha 3 was no FuuRyu and RaiRyu but that's understandable considering Alpha 3's roster was infested with too many different kinds of Mobile Suits and Valkyries.

W ended up falling flat for me because I didn't like how they combined GGG's plot with loving GoLion of all things. Also Mazinkaiser cropped up far too often in GGG stages, too.

I just like how in Alpha 3, the GGG story was mostly self-contained if that makes sense? Granted if you play Touma, the early GGG stuff gets connected to Jeeg, which is kinda bad but after that, largely self-contained and away from worse shows ruining it.

By handled better you mean not integrating GGGs story with other series. Which is the point of SRW games. Heaven forbid a super robot help out another super robot in a game called Super Robot Wars. Also :frogout: Jeeg is an amazing show and super robot.

Also one of my favorite parts of SRW W is how the Go Lion crew keep trying to recruit Guy and GaiGar as the sixth lion in their sentai team. Then all the lions can chill and hang out.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because of that being used as a way of saying it has no depth or good story when it does.

"children's show" gets used as short hand for "objectively bad" too much.

Danball Senki Wars is a bad show not because it's a children's show, it's a bad show because it's poorly written and poorly made.

GaoGaiGar, despite having about as much marketing as any show with giant robots does, is good because it's well written and well developed in terms of it's characters and plot.

Plus, all robot anime is for young audiences to varying degrees.

You're the only one say that. Why are you labeling 'Children Shows' as bad? You tried to throw Sesame Street under the bus. Who does that?

GGG is just as much of a kids show as any other one. Episode by episode moral of the days, standing up for what is right and just, emphasizing the value of friends and family.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Seconding New Getter Robo. It has a right kind of crazy to it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Omnicrom posted:

I understood what you were saying Beef :smith:

We're all here to help each other out.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Clawshrimpy, I think when you want to check out new anime you shouldn't first put yourself in a position where you're already personally invested in it. Give new series a 3 episode test (that's how I usually check out most new series). If in three episodes its not your cup of tea then drop it and move on. If a series is bad or doesn't match your tastes then its not a direct slight against you nor was it ever meant to be. That may help you broaden your palette for shows that you may never have realized that you like.

I've only seen Turn A and some of Xabungle but I will second those recommendations. Turn A has some drama but most Gundam series do, but the characters and set pieces are great and the story is a much more positive one in my opinion. Xabungle is FUN. I got into the series after playing the units in SRW.

You don't always have to write essays about an episode. A few key observations or opinions is really just fine too. The point of a the threads here is discussions not exhibition. We all post our opinions, judgments, and theories about each anime episode and in turn promotes discussion or debate among peers. You don't need to carry every conversation on your own. Example could be that you can post your opinions on the first few episodes of Turn A and possible ask some questions about certain scenes if they didn't make sense to you or if certain actions seemed confusing. This in turn would engage other posters to answer with their own observations. Conversations here aren't always a versus of views.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

I can see that Gundam has a meaning, I just disagree witht he message it tries to present most of the time.

it's specifically with other super robot shows that I can't seem to find that quality, that sense of emotion and power GGG had for me. I didn't watch GGG because it was fun seeing robots fights, I watched it for it's plot and dialogue, but I find the plot and dialogue of other shows in the subgenre are missing that for some reason, it didn't feel like a cheesy action script.... part of it feel very smart and charming to me comparitvely to Mazinger, Getter, Gurren Lagann, etc.

Have you ever watched Pretty Cure? To me that series of shows carries similar imagery and themes that are in GGG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

wateyad posted:

Clawshrimpy, it unironically may be worth your time to try a Precure. You can maybe try out the original (titled Futari wa Pretty Cure) if you want but even if that doesn't stick (and especially if the reason is that it's too downbeat) try Splash Star. I think that one has things in it that may strike a chord with you.

My suggestion to him is 100% unironic. I've watched several Precure series and found them enjoyable for what they were. Heartcatch and Happiness Charge are also two good series to check out.

Edit:

Clawshrimpy posted:

I feel like magical girl anime is not an appropriate space for my gender identity, though. I feel like I could never watch a magical girl anime the same way I'd feel awful for watching MLP. Feel like I'd be invading a girl's/women's space.

Why would it be invading a gender space? Would you feel offended if girls watched GGG and enjoyed it even though it is marketed for boys?

Revolver Bunker fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 22, 2015

• Locked thread