Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Last year was pretty sweet for mecha shows. Several classics were being fansubbed, most worked on or monitored by sasword's release blog, and an English translation patch was completed for Super Robot Wars J on the GBA. So let's talk about Super Robots as well as Real Robots of all varieties!

I streamlined the OP a bit, hopefully it doesn't look like rear end!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SUPER ROBOTS! For Beginners

WHAT IS A SUPER ROBOT?

Super robots are technologically advanced machines usually constructed to fight an ultimate evil, be it an underground empire of demonic monsters or intelligent dinosaurs, or maybe they're invaders from space, or perhaps deranged mad scientists that discovered an ancient technology to take over the world. These forces of evil usually send out giant monsters, sometimes mechanical, to wreak havoc on the earth (usually just Japan), and conventional weapons do jack poo poo. Super robots are specifically built to kick giant monster rear end, usually using amazing power sources (Getter Rays, Photon Energy, and Superelectromagnetic Energy can be used to power a giant robot), are made with the greatest metals earth has to offer (usually a Super Alloy metal, or sometimes Super Alloy Z), and have the best weapons mankind can produce which are powered not only by technology but the sheer willpower of the pilot (ROCKET PUNCH! GETTER BEAM! SPACE THUNDER! CHOUDENJI YO-YO!). Sometimes a super robot is too complicated for one pilot, or the super robot is the result of several smaller vehicle components, so the need of multiple pilots arises, but with these machines requires more than just basic understanding of how the robot works, as TEAMWORK is needed to make these robots nigh invincible! Simply put, Super Robots are the best robots.

HOW MANY SUPER ROBOT SHOWS ARE THERE?

Far too many. Some say the first would be Mazinger Z, but its creator, Go Nagai, has gone on record to say that the inspiration behind that was Tetsujin-28, known in the US as Gigantor, as well as Astro Boy, so you could say that Tetsujin-28 was the first. Since Mazinger Z, the 1970s was flooded with super robot shows of all kinds, most of them rather simple as far as plot goes. In 1979, Yoshiyuki Tomino, who created such super robot shows as Zambot 3, Daitarn 3, and Raideen, created Mobile Suit Gundam, which focused on giant robots being used on a military scale. This set the tone for the 1980s where most of the giant robot shows would have a more sci-fi feel to them, trying to explain technology that was more feasable than "powered by AWESOME". Still, a few super robot shows appeared in the '80s, the best examples of the time probably being Dancouga, which looked more like the "real robot" shows of the time, and Gunbuster, which you need to watch, I am serious you guys. The '90s had a bunch of Saturday morning cartoon-esque shows, and the genre seemed to be dying down a bit, but picked up quite a bit the '00s. There's too much to talk about with the genre, just believe me when I say there is a shitton of super robot shows of varying quality.

ARE GUNDAMS SUPER ROBOTS?

Super Robots rely heavily on a combination of SUPER-SCIENCE and BURNING SPIRIT to do what they do. Robots found in shows such as Gundam or Macross rely more on regular science(-fiction) and actual piloting ability. We call these "Real Robots" as that was the term coined by the video game series Super Robot Wars. They're still giant robots, though, and we can talk about those if you are so inclined.

MECHA SHOW RECOMMENDATIONS? LOOK NO FURTHER!

ADTRWiki Mecha covers a lot of mecha anime outings, ranging from GaoGaiGar to Shin Mazinger! MAHQ.net also covers a wide range of Real Robot information, even if the site looks like muddled crap nowadays. sasword's release blog is monitoring several releases at the same time, so keep an eye on them. (thanks AzraelNewtype for bringing attention to this)

SUPER ROBOTS IN MY MANGA? IT'S MORE AWESOME THAN YOU THINK!

Dynamic Pro Scanlations has several translated scans of the super robot manga you should be reading! From Mazinger Z to Getter Robo to Grendizer, get your fill of violent giant robot action and crazy awesome Getter Robo stories! (thanks dis astranagant for the recommendation) ANWO Scanlations has Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Burned as their project, and Giant Robo rules, maybe you should read it, so someday you can command a giant robot to punch things.

WHAT IS SUPER ROBOT WARS?

Check out the Super Robot Wars Megathread to learn more!

THE BEST SUPER ROBOT SHOW OF THE LAST DECADE! IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED IT, DO IT!

Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen
- A modern retelling of the classic Mazinger Z storyline, and currently the best super robot show of the new millennium!

SHOWS YOU CAN PAY CASH MONEY TO OWN ON DVD/BLU-RAY!
SUPPORT PEOPLE ACTUALLY LICENSING MECHA SHOWS!

Mazinger Z
- MAZIN GO! The original Super Robot anime! Well, this or Tetsujin-28. BREAST FIRE!

Rokushin Gattai Godmars
- Literally the most fluidly-animated super robot show ever made.
:siren::siren: HULU STREAM ONLY WAIT WHAT? :siren::siren:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still
- A kid tells a giant robot to punch things and the robot does and it rules.

Gun X Sword
- Super Robot Spaghetti Western

Full Metal Panic! - A military dude goes to high school to protect a high school girl from terrorists. Also robots.
Full Metal Panic? FUMOFFU - Same but now things are wacky and funny and this is the best of the three. BONTA-KUN!
Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid - Then things get serious again and we miss Bonta-kun.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- The history of the Super Robot genre in 26 episodes. Extremely hype, you should watch it!
:siren::siren:WARNING! HOLY poo poo THIS SHOW GOT EXPENSIVE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING ANIPLEX?:siren::siren:

SUPER ROBOT SHOWS! UNLICENSED IN THE US AND COMPLETE!

Choudenji Robo Combattler V
- V! V! V! VICTORY! Combine, 1, 2, 3! Features drunk scientists and giant robot yo-yo weapons!

Choudenji Machine Voltes V
- LET'S VOLT IN! Features drama, flying sandcastle skull battleships, and carving a giant V into everything.

Muteki Choujin Zambot 3
- ZAMBOT MOON ATTACK! Killer the Butcher is a cool villain name. Also sad things happen.

Muteki Koujin Daitarn 3
- DAITARN! COME HERE! Basically James Bond with a giant robot! Banjou is :smug:

Space Runaway Ideon
- Can you hear it? I'm sure you can hear it... that far off roar!

Ginga Senpuu Bryger
- COSMORANGER J9! No mercy to those who make good people cry. EE-YAY!

Sentou Mecha Xabungle
- Gasoline-powered robots in the wild wild post-apocalyptic Mad Max west!

Choujuu Kishin Dancouga
- YAAAAAAATTEYARUZE! Shinobu may sound like Bon Clay/Frankie from One Piece, I WONDER WHY?

Juusou Kikou Dancouga Nova
- YAAAAAAATTEYARUZE! Aoi is a racing champ, model, and robot pilot. I HOPE THIS ISN'T BAD!

Fang of the Sun Dougram - Real robot show. The realest. Kinda like VOTOMS without skating.

Panzer World Galient - Giant robots in the medieval times. Legs of lamb for all.

Heavy Metal L-Gaim - Always time for L-Gaim. Hey that rhymes.

Blue Comet SPT Layzner - An accurate look at how the '90s really were.

The Brave Fighter of Legend Da-Garn - Not GaoGaiGar is really brave.

SUPER ROBOT SHOWS! CURRENTLY BEING SUBTITLED! Maybe

Getter Robo
- CHANGE GETTER-1! SWITCH ON! gently caress dinosaurs!
Up to Episode 18 as of Sep. 17, 2009
Episodes 19 to 31 as of Sep. 1, 2014

Great Mazinger
- DASH! DASH! SCRAMBLE DASH! Tetsuya is a dick, but that's okay because he gets results! Also starring Boss!
Up to Episode 21 as of Apr. 7, 2010

Yuusha Raideen
- GOD BIRD! CHAAAANGE! Giant robot that shoots giant arrows with a giant bow! Also turns to a bird!
Up to Episode 25 as of Sept. 24, 2013

Getter Robo G
- CHANGE DRAGON! SWITCH ON! Featuring demon Hitler!
Up to Episode 11 as of Oct. 26, 2010

Koutetsu Jeeg
- BUILD UP! Transform into a robot head and bear hug giant clay monsters to death!
Up to Episode 6 as of Mar. 28, 2012

Goldran The Brave of Gold - Up to Episode 20 as of Sept. 27, 2013

Dropped by Subbers :(

Uchuu Senshi Baldios
- Teleporting giant robot and probably something about environmentalism? I dunno.
Up to Episode 5 as of Oct. 18, 2010
Subbing ended Jan. 1, 2013

OUT-OF-PRINT DEAD LICENSE SHOWS
So a couple of companies are dead, such as Central Park Media. And their DVDs have long gone out of print, so the only other way to get them is either downloading them or spending hundreds of dollars on eBay to some dude who bought said DVDs at a fire sale.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS
- Hell, bitter coffee, and robots that make cool sounds as they skate around.

Super Dimension Century Orguss
- A bomb exploded and a bunch of worlds got mashed together, so now everybody dogfights in robots.

BONUS: SUPER ROBOT WARS-THEMED AVATARS!

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If anybody has any recommendations for the OP, I'm all ears. At least for a while, because that rumor about SRW Z2 is driving me crazy. :psypop:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

So who else is excited about getting Chirico to kick the poo poo out of Knightmare Frames? I know I am!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Flavahbeast posted:

Not sure where you'd find a retail copy of any of those games since they're all quite old. Play Asia lists Alpha Gaiden as out of print/out of stock and I don't even see a listing for J

I ended up getting all of the PSX SRW games off of eBay, complete and in at least very good condition, ranging from $12 to $40. Your Results May Vary (tm)

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 7, 2011

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

http://getterrobo.blogspot.com/ should really be in the OP. They don't update very often, but when they do it's usually because a whole Getter Robo tank just got translated. And their current releases are pretty much required reading for this thread.

Updated the OP with this. I usually forget manga when there's animes to be watchin', that's my fault, especially considering how much good stuff they've translated.

As for SKL, I'm just not feelin' it. :(

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

There is literally no chance of this being finished, but hey, may as well grab what you can while you can.

I'll take what I can get. Even if it's just one episode, that's one more than I ever thought would be worked on. We can throw that in the pile with Koutetsu Jeeg at least.

I mean, the whole thing doesn't have to be subbed. If anything, they can get away with subbing probably the first three episodes, the episode in which the Jet Scrander first appears, the episode in which Boss Borot first appears, and probably the last few episodes to wrap things up (which I suppose could be replaced with the Mazinger Z/Great Mazinger crossover movie).

In any case, HELL YEAH, MAZINGER Z! That leaves, what, Gaiking, Mechander Robo, and Daltanius unsubbed as far as 1970s super robot shows that have appeared in a SRW game, right? The rest seemed to have at least one episode subbed anyways.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 16, 2011

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

:siren: KOUTETSU JEEG EPISODE 2 SUBBED! :siren:

I need to add that site to my RSS thing, this rules. Amuro Jeeg rules. :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Looks like the guy from DeservesSubs caught us talking about Mazinger Z filler and such (if you are reading this, guy from DeservesSubs, you are as awesome as the Mazinger Z episodes you are subbing (Mazinger Z rules)), and also he has subbed up to episode 3. Adding Mazinger Z to the OP as well.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 23, 2011

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

A.X.S.U.S. is back on track with episode 39 of Xabungle. I have a good feeling about this year in classic mecha fansubs. :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

ANN apparently has it linked or something on their Gaiking page, stating it being posted on Jan. 25, 2011, via Hulu. All it says is Toei being involved but no other company. And the whole thing is subbed already? Are they using a pre-existing fansub or something? And even though ANN has the videos linked, they have yet to make any mention of it being licensed or up for streaming or any other relevant news.

This is all confusing :psyduck:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

They should have just put up original Gaiking instead of the remake. It has yet to be subbed, and I want to watch another anime with Akira Kamiya's golden super robot pilot voice. :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Shin Mazinger Episode 1:

What in the world did I just watch :psyduck:

A taste of the best super robot show of the decade, that's what. :c00lbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Son Ryo posted:

Since the series is pretty much nothing but monster-of-the-week and I doubt anyone would be watching it for any reason other than being SRW-relevant

I originally watched it because it was "SRW-relevant", but it's good enough to watch on its own. You know, if you can get past the "it's old anime hurr" hurdle. Though the second "season" isn't as good according to some people (it rules, Kerot rules).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I just watched this poo poo and it rules. Ginguiser's combination sequence is the best combination sequence ever. Why hasn't this ever appeared in a SRW game? They can hang out with Daiohja, and the amusement park scenes of Gaogaigar and Full Metal Panic could happen in their amusement park. So many possibilities for SRW integration :allears:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Episode 40 of Xabungle up, 10 remaining, gettin' pumped!

As I mentioned in the Simulcast thread, my youngest brother (17) is as pumped as I am about Z2, so he had quite a few shows to marathon in order to get up to speed. He pretty much marathoned Change! Getter Robo, Shin Mazinger, Gurren Lagann, and the first quarter of VOTOMS. His general opinion on each was basically "Getter Robo rules so much, original Getter Team rules", "Shin Mazinger really needs a Great chapter", "loved Gurren Lagann more than Diebuster but less than Gunbuster, also Ideon and Getter Robo are still better", and "Chirico is badass".

He didn't care much for the team of Go, Kei, and Gai in Getter Robo, but he's now a bigger Ryouma and Hayato fan than he was when watching New Getter Robo (which was good since he already thought they were super badass in New). Out of all the stuff showing up in Z2, he's probably most excited about using the newer-ish Getter Team.

Out of all the other shows, he marathoned Shin Mazinger the quickest, as he wanted to know what would happen next right away. He's watched the few episodes of the original Mazinger Z anime, that translated manga, and the first couple of episodes of Great Mazinger, so he had a good idea of what to expect, but I guess it was more than he thought it'd be and got hooked fast. By the time he got to the end, and the Mycenae showed up after Dr. Hell's defeat, he was pretty anxious to see what would happen next, and I had to tell him that the Great chapter may or may not happen, which brought his high on the show down a bit. He sure does love Kanjite Knight and fighting-on-foot Baron Ashura, though.

I pretty much withheld Gurren Lagann from him for a while until he watched a bunch of other shows (the first couple of episodes of older shows, all of Zambot 3, Ideon, etc.), so by the time he got to Gurren Lagann, he could form a more balanced opinion on it. He liked the entirity of the first half more than the second, of which he only really liked the latter part of the second. And as much as he liked the last few episodes of the show, he still told me "the second Ideon movie felt more epic".

Still going through VOTOMS, but he likes how Chirico differs (is badass) from most other real robot protagonists (he's seen all three 0079 Gundam movies, Macross DYRL, and Macross Plus among others).

After it was all said and done, he said he wants to see a SRW game with Ideon, Change! Getter Robo, Gaogaigar FINAL, Gunbuster, Zeorymer, and Gurren Lagann's second half, and maybe Diebuster. He's becoming a proper Super Robot fan alright :c00lbert:

(Ginguiser gave him a headache, however :( )

EDIT: itt talk about how you successfully got a friend or family member hooked on mecha shows

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 22, 2011

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Since Gray Phantom's blog hasn't updated in a while, this went unnoticed by myself and several others I'm guessing, but The Skaro Hunting Society blog made mention that Gray Phantom has subbed UP TO EPISODE 7 OF DAIMOS! There's a bunch of MegaUpload links on that post. I'd link the page with the torrents on them here, but the list of stuff they have includes a couple of things that are currently licensed and being sold in the US.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Zorak posted:

MUST READ SCRIPT EXACTLY AS WRITTEN

Believing a sign of zeta beyond the hard times from now. :geno:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cross-posting stuff from the SRW thread in Games, SRW Z2 is the non-Duke Nukem GOTY, because :sbahj:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LAmRLSO6eU

Demo 1
Demo 2
This guy has quite a bit of stuff uploaded as well.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Just so you all know, I do update the OP whenever one of the shows in the OP gets a new episode subbed. It's just been really slow as of late, sans Panzer World Galient which is going at a pretty steady pace. And also episode 4 of Koutetsu Jeeg is up, with Mach Drill action!

Also, I added something to the list of shows to watch on the OP, which was made easier thanks to Shaezerus making new SRW Z2 avatars. Now if only we can get a Great chapter...

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Mecha Gojira posted:

And Galient is actually complete now. Crinn over at X-Nebula is seriously THE MAN when it comes to translating these old mecha shows.

Hopefully with Galient done, Crinn will get back to GINGA SENPUU BURAIGA and the merciless J9.

Yeah, having both Dougram and Galient done in a rather steady time frame was sweet. Also hoping for, at the very least, another episode of Bryger.

Anyone know the US legal status for a lot of the mecha shows previously licensed by the likes of ADV and Geneon? I'm guessing Funimation grabbed most of the high profile titles, but I'm talking about stuff like the Mazinkaiser OVAs and the two Getter Robo OVAs.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Guyver posted:

ARR likes to do one episode and never touch a series again. Unless they have full bootlegs that's probably all they'll do.

You ain't kidding. I just browsed their blog and I'm seeing episode 1s all over the place. Of the lot, I'm seeing stuff like God Sigma, Gowapper 5 Godam, Daiohja, Daltanius, and Trider G7, among many other things. Some of the comments on the site and ratings tell me that the translations are pretty bad, but I'll take what I can at this point.

EDIT: I'm surprised that anybody is seeding some of the older stuff.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I woke up finding this in my RSS thing, and you beat me to posting it here. Totally worth bumping the thread for more awesome epiosdes of BRYGER!

I still update the OP whenever one of the shows in said OP gets a new episode subbed and all, the two most recent being episode 41 of Xabungle and 42 of L-Gaim. Otherwise, it sure is a slow season for super robot shows. :(

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I've been meaning to add a section to the OP about licensed recommendations with links to some of the most inexpensive places to purchase them, but I haven't gotten around to it. And with a few of the shows I'd like to add to said section, there's the matter of figuring out the current legal status of them, namely the shows that were licensed by ADV and Geneon, ADV due to them being somewhat around still under a different name I guess, and both of them overall due to other companies acquiring the licenses, such as Funimation.

Stuff I'd put under licensed recommendations would be Gaogaigar, Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster, Golion, GunXSword, Overman King Gainer, probably comedy option Gravion and Aquarion. I'd still need to find out the status on Zeorymer, Mazinkaiser, and the two Getter Robo OVAs that were released in the states, and I guess VOTOMS was lost in the annals of time so I could add that under the "unlicensed" stuff. I'd like to recommend Raijin-Oh, and even though they are up to three DVDs as of July, I have this bad feeling it won't see completion, much like Machine Robo (though that one was bad).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

:siren: BRYGER EPSIDOES 5 AND 6 ARE UP! :siren:

Looks like I have a new show to put on the OP updating list thingie. EE-YAY!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

MarsDragon posted:

No Giant Robo? You're dead to me.

I got lost in the sea of robots that begin with the letter "G" that I thought I already put Giant Robo on said list. At least I didn't list "Gad Guard."

I should get a list started for the OP.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Bryger episodes 10 and 11 are up! Looks like we can fully expect the complete adventures of J9 thanks to Crinn over there at X Nebula. :hellyeah:

Also added Da-Garn to the list of shows in the OP. If folks read OPs, they could potentially find it there. :)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I just found out that Daltanious is being subbed. While this is awesome, something about seeing all them revisions of episodes seems odd. Not that there's anything wrong with going back and fixing your work, but for instance, episode 3 was revised six times.

Anyways, hell yeah Daltanious!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Silentman0 posted:

In Z2, Kallen in the Guren Mk. II counts as a super.

Well, she pretty much is a super robot pilot restricted to a real robot. I'm sure Asuka is the same if you don't consider EVA units as super robots (I sure don't).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Considering shows like Tekkaman Blade and Jushin Liger are showing up in SRW games, I really should just do away with arguing the semantics between a Super and a Real when it comes to shows that blur that line. I also want '80s Guyver in a game, that'd be sweet, if only for the blood fountains.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm assuming you know already, but since Bandai and Takara are mortal enemies destined to fight until the End of All Things, Transformers will never be in SRW.

I'm still wondering how Zoids: Genesis got into a SRW game at all.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Looks like some other sub group went ahead and worked on episodes 19 and 20 of Getter Robo. Haven't got around to downloading them yet, so I don't know if they're good or not, but there you go. If there's one "three jets combine to make any three different robots" show you just gotta watch, make it Getter Robo and not Aquarion. :smuggo:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

To set up for Shin Mazinger: Great-hen, of course.

Which will never happen because the studio closed down.

Don't crush my dreams. :smith:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cross-postin' from the Super Robot Wars thread in Gamees. Y'all ready for some Super Robot Wars Z2-2?

Series list because there's some newcomers!
- Zambot 3
- Daitarn 3
- Trider G7
- God Sigma
- Baldios
- :siren:Taiyo no Shisha TETSUJIN 28-GO:siren:
- Godmars
- Xabungle
- VOTOMS
- VOTOMS The Last Red Shoulder
- VOTOMS Red Shoulder Document: The Roots of Ambition
- VOTOMS Pailsen Files
- Orguss
- Zeta Gundam
- Char's Counterattack
- Gundam Wing
- Gundam X
- Turn-A Gundam
- Gundam SEED Destiny
- Gundam 00 Second Season
- Dancouga
- Dancouga Nova
- Macross 7
- Macross Dynamite 7
- Macross F
- Macross F the Movie: The Wings of Goodbye
- Getter Robo Armageddon
- Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-hen
- Dai-Guard
- The Big-O
- Overman King Gainer
- Gravion
- Gravion Zwei
- Aquarion
- Code Geass
- Code Geass R2
- Gurren Lagann
- Gurren Lagann: Gurren Hen
- Gurren Lagann: Lagann Hen
- Eureka Seven: Pocket Full of Rainbows

It's coming out APRIL 5TH! GET HYPE!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Obviously, they wanted to set it up for a Great Mazinger sequel, to at least stay true to how it worked in the '70s version. And who knows when or if that'll ever happen, considering Shin Mazinger didn't involve high school girls and thus did not do that well probably.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Shaezerus posted:

One of our hearparts must be broken. That trumpet they used to replace the lyrics made it completely unlistenable to me. HEATS was great though.

Yeah, your hearparts. :colbert: It was a great remix. It's the music I use when I get Shin Getter, because that's the song where you know poo poo just got real. I ended up keeping HEATS for classic Getter the rest of the way, though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

Non-HK/Hacked up subs for all of UFO Robo Grendizer are now available. If you don't have an account on bakabt with good ratio you can't get it just yet (of course neither can anybody else since the poster isn't seeding the loving thing) but it's finally been approved at least.

Wait, who did these subs? Did somebody work on this till completion and then released the whole thing at once?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I like to think of it the same way I like to think of how SRW has everybody able to communicate with each other regardless of radio channels and all that poo poo: everybody's mech has a PA system. This explains why enemies will always fear the sun, and why hearing Akira bellow out "RAAAAAIIIIII" is the last thing most enemies will ever hear.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

In a just world, Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z-Hen did so well that modern remakes of classic super robot shows done in a similar manner become a popular thing, and this happen regularly.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

All that talk about what shows are overhyped or what shows have a bad fanbase or whatever, and all this talk about Code Geass and Gurren Lagann, it just makes me sad. Code Geass is getting a new OVA thing, Gurren Lagann got two movies...

Nobody talks about how great Shin Mazinger is. Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Great-hen is never coming out is it? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Artum posted:

Shin mazinger thought it a bright idea to start the series with the incredibly cool final attack on the bad guy and then follow it up with incomprehensible flash forward bullshit, they've only themselves to blame.:colbert:

Bitter? Me? Never.

Having the entire first episode "in medias res" was awesome and I will not hear otherwise.

You could say that the first episode is art. :wotwot:

• Locked thread