Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Kingtheninja posted:

I was watching the V miniseries part 2, and there's a scene where a mountain camp gets attacked and next to some kids at a picnic table is a sizeable mazinger toy.

Jumbo Machinders/Shogun Warriors was big in the late 70's/early 80's. Grendizer had a toy in that line, and Godzilla had a figure with rocket punch fists. It rules that we've been getting exposure to it since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Schwarzwald posted:

I've been trying to get my sister into mecha for a while, since she does have a large manga collection that is largely full of drivel.

Early attempts with Voltes V proved rather unsuccessful, but a later attempt with Giant Robo went well.

The sound she made during Alberto's big reveal in the last episode was something between a school girl giggle and the way Hayato laughs when he's elbow deep in a dinosaurs stomach.

There's hope for her.

In other news, X Nebula, who recently subbed all of Dougram, has just released the first 12 episodes of Galient. It's not quite a super robot, but I thought people would be interested despite that.

http://xnebula.blogspot.com/

I got a buddy to get into Eureka SeveN, but he only watches it when he hangs out over here and still isn't very interested in mecha as a whole. Probably because he's one of those guys who hates "old-looking animation." Hard to really show the classics to someone like that.

On the Galient note, so far so good. I'm up to episode 10, and it's been pretty solid so far. Directed by Ryosuke Takahashi of VOTOMS and Dougram fame, the first few episodes definitely give you a high-fantasy medieval but with robots feel, similar to Dunbine I suppose, but by episode 7-8, it definitely picks up a science fiction feel similar to that of the last arc of VOTOMS. I'm interested to see how well it can balance those two genres, if it can at all. I went in not knowing what to expect and have been pleasantly surprised so far. Dougram was pretty solid save for a couple missteps, and VOTOMS is a masterpiece. I've even been keeping up with another great Takahashi series, SPT Layzner, so I expect good things from Galient as well.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Mercury Crusader posted:

Just so you all know, I do update the OP whenever one of the shows in the OP gets a new episode subbed. It's just been really slow as of late, sans Panzer World Galient which is going at a pretty steady pace. And also episode 4 of Koutetsu Jeeg is up, with Mach Drill action!

Also, I added something to the list of shows to watch on the OP, which was made easier thanks to Shaezerus making new SRW Z2 avatars. Now if only we can get a Great chapter...

And Galient is actually complete now. Crinn over at X-Nebula is seriously THE MAN when it comes to translating these old mecha shows.

Hopefully with Galient done, Crinn will get back to GINGA SENPUU BURAIGA and the merciless J9.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Tribladeofchaos posted:

If that's true that's kind of a shame. I really enjoyed L-Gaim, at least much better than Dunbine at least.

I just find L-Gaim interesting in the fact that it feels like a prototype ZZ Gundam, with its cast of young punk protagonists, whacky antagonists, and early-episode light tone. It's almost weirder than ZZ, though, since while ZZ feels schizophrenic in relation to its predecessor, L-Gaim has its weird tonal whip-lash between and sometimes within its own episodes. Early on, one episode might feature the villain being thwarted in a comical fashion, usually involving an explosion leaving the badguys covered in soot and ash, but the next episode would feature the same villains in the same situations DYING. Hell, one episode featured one villain dying while her underlings survived the same battle humorously unscathed.

I've also noticed similarities in the overall character arcs of Daba Myroad and Quattro Bajeena. Young princes who assume new names to fight as soldiers in the revolution against the tyrannical government, but ultimately must accept their destinies as the revolutions' leaders, taking back their old names in the process as recognition of that fact. Of course, Daba's arc is much more simplified, seeing as he's not a central character of a decade-spanning franchise, but the similarities are there and it's kind of neat seeing how Tomino reuses and recycles ideas from one series to the next (besides "Adults are the enemy.").

Wish /m/subs would hurry up and finish translating the series, though. At this rate I'll be old and gray by the time they're through. That and Layzner.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Zorak posted:

It totally would have happened. Ankoku Daishogun would have been beaten by Z wielding Great and it would have been rad as gently caress.

They could've called it the Scramble Slash.

Man, I'm disappointed we're never gonna see Great-hen.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ImpAtom posted:

Dunbine is kind of like Zeta Gundam except stupider in every way. I really want to like it but man, it's just a dumb show.

I wish I could argue with you on this one because I DO like Dunbine, but yeah... I mean, unless you can handle 1980's Tomino, you won't get anything out of Dunbine.

Still some of my all-time favorite mechanical designs, though.

Speaking of 80's Tomino shows, maybe it's because msubs only releases an episode once every three-four months, but man has this last L-Gaim arc been slow and convoluted and... dumb. Such a weird show tonally too. It's like proto-Zeta Gundam in terms of plot, but proto-ZZ in terms of characters.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The movies actually follow the OVA version of events, sort of. Basically, Patlabor continuity is kind of screwy. The OVA and the three movies are supposed to be one "continuity," though the second movie is actually based on a two-episode arc from the original OVA.

The TV series and the second OVA are their own continuity, which plays up the antagonism between Special Vehicles Division 2 and the multi-national corporation SHAFT and pull more from the manga for inspiration.

Both series, though, of course feature the same characters, setting, mecha, organizations, etc. but in slightly different contexts.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 7, 2012

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Imagawa rules. I love his combination of really strong themes about the sins of our fathers/the past coming back to haunt us, and having to confront them before moving on to the future with his love of balls-out Kung fu action. His shows are always a pleasure to watch. G Gundam, Giant Robo, Tetsujin 28, and of course Shin Mazinger are all top-notch giant robot shows.

Everybody, let's take a little time out of our day to appreciate Imagawa. A Shining Finger here or Big Bang Punch there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6pAdFOUDmw

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 10, 2013

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Look at this scrub who doesn't realize the thematic relevance of a house full of psychotic criminals and killers who were given a second chance by a woman who helped unleash unspeakable horrors upon our world trying to repent through fighting said evil. Also, this woman is at one point literally haunted by a ghost that represents her past.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Clawshrimpy posted:

Everything about Kurogane in Shin Mazinger was just terrible, their presence usually meant stupid wacky hijinx and shenanigans that were not funny in the least.

It also doesn't help that Imagawa is a really poo poo writer when compared to the likes of Yonetani and Takahashi. Imagawa can't even write an ending to save his life.

Guess you missed G Gundam and Tetsujin 28, then. You know, where the dude flies off with the girl in his arms or the robot literally sacrifices itself for its human brother's future.

By the way, Shin Mazinger ends the way it does because THAT'S HOW MAZINGER Z ENDS. Giant Robo ends the way it does because it's part of a larger story, and has a satisfying conclusion to its arc.

By the way, don't get me wrong. I love Takahashi. VOTOMS and Layzner are awesome. But let's face it, Takahashi's been rehashing the same VOTOMS plot for 20 years. Did you not see the VOTOMS sequel OVA's? They're all 100% terrible. Yes, let's totally ruin Chirico's relatively happy ending by rehashing the same plots over and over again and milk his misery for all its worth.

Edit: And you know what? gently caress it. Sorry that the comic relief wasn't your thing. Doesn't change the fact that they existed for other reasons than just wacky hijinx and explosions and have actual thematic relevance. Personally, I thought they were fun as hell on top of it!

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 10, 2013

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Zeether posted:

G Gundam's ending was awesome, I don't know what you're talking about. :colbert: Especially the part where the power of love allows Domon and Rain to shoot off a Sekiha Tenkyoken that punches a heart shaped hole inside the Devil/Dark Gundam

In fact, let's watch it again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvq0Jw6J9Ao

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

dbzfandiego posted:

So the only thing I've gotten out of this is that I should watch Imagawa's Tetsujin 28, is that right?

It's really dark and somber. Of Imagawa's works, I'd admittedly rate it the weakest. Unfortunately, all of the energy and playfulness you usually see in his works are burned up in the first couple minutes of the first episode and the rest of the series is a meditation on Japan's post-war, pre-boom time period. Expect a lot of tragic stories about scientists and their WWII creations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

dbzfandiego posted:

Sounds interesting at least.

It's definitely worth watching. Just don't expect G Gundam or even Giant Robo, which is shares the same original creator as. It's much more grounded than most of his other giant robot works fitting with its more serious tone.

And note by more grounded I mean that there's still going to be Frankensteins and giant sauropod robots, just in a slightly more serious context.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Yeah, it seems more like he doesn't care for a certain type of storytelling and conflates his dislike for it with "bad writing."

Whatever, it's really not worth our time. Sorry sometimes writers like having deeply flawed characters who must learn to grow as people as their protagonists.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Zorak posted:

I dunno, I was pretty bored by the J9 shows I tried watching. Seemed pretty generic all in all. :geno:

You didn't watch enough. Bryger's basically Lupin III A-Teaam in Space with a robot. In fact, it's pretty obvious that half the time the robot only shows up because it's toy manufacturer mandated. It's mostly crazy space adventures and space truckers and space bikers and poo poo.

There is literally an episode where the main cast teaches the two young children sidekick characters the important lesson of enacting revenge on their parents' killers.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Guyver posted:

/m/-subs has finished subbing SPT Layzner after five years.

http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/2014/06/21/spt-layzner-1-38-batch-featuring-acr/

I've been waiting for this since the time skip and it's finally here.

Oh what a joyous occasion! I was just talking with a buddy last night about the fact that Layzner hadn't been finished, and in fact only had one episode left. Now if only someone would rip the subtitles and throw them on the Blu Rays.

Also, if only someone would finish translating Dragonar.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Mobile Suit Gundam, Super Dimensional Macross, and Armored Trooper VOTOMS constitute my personal "Holy Trinity" of first generation Real Robot series. Start with them.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Nah, the prequels are mostly retreads of the whole, "Oh, god, Chirico is an unkillable over-man," stuff. I mean, the action sequences are great, but otherwise it's nothing you haven't seen in the TV show, though not as compelling. At least they're short. The sequels, though, ugh. I don't want to talk about the sequels.

Now Mellowlink? That's where it's at.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
You're going to love the next few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I really want to know the story behind New/Old Festo. It's like they wanted to have a tragic death of a supporting character, but Takahashi also REALLY liked having Shigeru Chiba around.

Not that I can blame him. Shigeru Chiba owns.

• Locked thread