Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Let's imagine zen is amazing. Like beyond your wildest dreams amazing. Will it be enough to pull AMD out of their awful-upper-management caused death spiral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
They will probably way overprice it.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea I always get those 2 mixed up in my head for some reason. And yea I got the L2 numbers wrong too. drat Percocet's.

Don Lapre posted:

They will probably way overprice it.
Hopefully they won't be that stupid. Even for a enthusiast part they won't sell many if they do that if it can't meet or beat Skylake/Kaby at launch, which it probably won't.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 6, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Boiled Water posted:

Let's imagine zen is amazing. Like beyond your wildest dreams amazing. Will it be enough to pull AMD out of their awful-upper-management caused death spiral?

...that's a drat tall order to fill. I know we talk about how casual enthusiasts are still using Sandy/Ivy because they're still perfectly good, but most of those people have upgraded to Haswell or better. So whatever chip AMD comes out with has to be significantly better than Haswell people still on it upgrade.

And then there's talk about how Intel is going to finally push people to eight full cores, instead of 4 with SMT. So if AMD comes out with a 4-core product and is behind the curve again then, goodbye AMD.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The 9590 launched at a hilarious $800

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

Let's imagine zen is amazing.

Let's not, and just not be disappointed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Boiled Water posted:

At this point you could just buy an i7 2600k on eBay, probably for less, so it'd have to be something very special or very, very cheap.

If this were true, then wouldn't people be buying eBay 2600Ks rather than i3s and low-clock i5s? $150 doesn't get you a lot in Intel-land anymore, unless you're looking at Microcenter's deviant pricing. Good, solid, quad core performance comparable to an Ivy Bridge or Haswell i7 at a mid $100s price point would be a giant thorn in Intel's side.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And then there's talk about how Intel is going to finally push people to eight full cores, instead of 4 with SMT.
Flagship Zen on AM4 is going to be 8 core parts.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Flagship Zen on AM4 is going to be 8 core parts.

And that might be enough, it might not. But when Intel says they're going to push people to 8 cores, that probably means everything from i5 and up.

Is just flagship Zen being 8 cores enough? I don't know.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Twerk from Home posted:

This would be fine and awesome, if AMD is able to sell an Ivy Bridge i7 in 2016 for $150 we're cooking with gas.

I would be very surprised if they could sell them at that price and have enough margin left to keep the lights on.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And that might be enough, it might not. But when Intel says they're going to push people to 8 cores, that probably means everything from i5 and up.

Is just flagship Zen being 8 cores enough? I don't know.
With how AMD bins things it is very likely that we get 2/4/6/8 core parts.

And Intel is pushing for 4/6/8 cores in their Cannonlake platform, which isn't until late 2017. It's probably a response to how AMD may be releasing actual 8-core processors for mainstream desktops with Zen, as well as how single core performance has basically plateaued since Sandy Bridge and the only real way to scale now is outwards, like ARM.

canyoneer posted:

I would be very surprised if they could sell them at that price and have enough margin left to keep the lights on.
I would peg the 4 core+HT Zen units at i5 prices ($200-240), really. That would be a good margin and a competitive feature set (if only for SMT since people who buy home desktop processors rarely care about the virtualization/encryption things AMD packs in everything) if it just trails slightly behind Intel's offerings in single thread speed.

Don Lapre posted:

The 9590 launched at a hilarious $800
It was originally going to be OEM only at that price, but then there was actual demand for such a thing.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 6, 2015

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

canyoneer posted:

They just cut another 5% of their workforce. They'd have to sell it with enough margin not only to keep the lights on but to afford to turn some more on.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If they can get a ASP of $150-200 they'll have no problems keeping the lights on and even expanding + paying down debt after a year or 2 of good sales. If the performance is as rumored I don't see why that isn't doable. If its poo poo then yea they're screwed.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Putting out a good PC chip would be great but a better indicator of AMD doing well is if they can compete in the server market.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tanreall posted:

Putting out a good PC chip would be great but a better indicator of AMD doing well is if they can compete in the server market.

But the enthusiast market crown?!?!!!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

How big a slice of the pie are enthusiasts? .1%? Maybe even less in terms of CPUs sold?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If it ended up being roughly an Ivy Bridge i7, they could probably launch it at $500, get the fanboys to pay that much, then drop it to $150. Everyone else who wants one buys one, the fanboys get mad, but not mad enough that the cycle can't repeat next generation.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Kazinsal posted:

If it ended up being roughly an Ivy Bridge i7, they could probably launch it at $500, get the fanboys to pay that much, then drop it to $150. Everyone else who wants one buys one, the fanboys get mad, but not mad enough that the cycle can't repeat next generation.

If the current chips didn't kill the fanboys, then nothing will.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

People still buy FX cpu's

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

A lot of consumers make really bad choices all of the time. Considering the specialized technical nature of CPUs it's not wonder FX still has sales.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Let's not knock the value of a FX CPU if you want to game and don't mind that it's not good for anything.

A lot of people go to /r/buildapc and look at Logical Increments and say, "I don't need an Intel, look at what these folks are saying on the internet!" Then they take their $700, burn $300 on a graphics card and the remaining balance on the mobo + FX chip, and expect to upgrade a year down the line while carrying over the card. Just because the CPU gives you 12 less FPS at the 1080p resolution they're playing Shadow of Mordor doesn't make it bad.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 6, 2015

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I'm still on a loving Llano APU from 2011 and I'm getting 60 FPS or more in said game at 1080p consistently with a 280X GPU. A loving Llano. Worst CPU buy ever, and I'm really really fine with the purchase.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

A Bad King posted:

I'm still on a loving Llano APU from 2011 and I'm getting 60 FPS or more in said game at 1080p consistently with a 280X GPU. A loving Llano. Worst CPU buy ever, and I'm really really fine with the purchase.
That's the crux of the argument. I get awesome performance in the things i do on an AMD, it cost me less upfront and my electric is pretty cheap in the midwest.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

adorai posted:

That's the crux of the argument. I get awesome performance in the things i do on an AMD, it cost me less upfront and my electric is pretty cheap in the midwest.

Are you on some old legacy part, or something from the last 2 years? The biggest argument against cheap AMD is i3s and Pentiums / Celerons. You can get Intel CPUs under $80 too, that's not only an AMD thing.

My wife still uses a 6 year old AMD K10 machine daily, and it's fine.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you on some old legacy part, or something from the last 2 years? The biggest argument against cheap AMD is i3s and Pentiums / Celerons. You can get Intel CPUs under $80 too, that's not only an AMD thing.

fx4170. I picked it up on sale for ~$80 about 2 years ago.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Twerk from Home posted:

Bingo. It's not a manner of "this is cheap and good enough", it's "this other thing is as cheap and actually better"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm still using a Phenom II X4 940. I've got the upgrade itch and I'm sure I'd benefit from more RAM, a big SSD, etc. I feel like the CPU, old as it is, isn't really the limiting factor for me, except that I'd have to replace it to replace all the other stuff.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 7, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm still using a Phenom II X4 940. I've got the upgrade itch and I'm sure I'd benefit from more RAM, a big SSD, etc. I feel like the CPU, old as it is, isn't really the limiting factor for me, except that I'd have to replace it to replace all the other stuff.

Wassup Phenom bro, I am running a Phenom II X4 840, our CPUs are the same in every way.

I too have the upgrade itch but by god I've survived 4 and a half years without Intel in my life, I need Zen to be a miracle from the beloved silicone dust cowboy Jim Keller. . . at least just not a dumpster fire so I can won't get laughed out of the part's picking thread. I will buy your CPU from you, gotta feed my addicton ya know

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

The Athlon 860k is on sale this week for 59 bucks from Newegg and is probably just as capable in gaming as any FX part.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Twerk from Home posted:

Yet those dual-core Pentiums don't give you a great minimum FPS, and so don't get favored over a good "quad"-core construction core chip in the guides. Spend $20, avoid those half-second dips below 30fps. AMD's value is extremely questionable outside of gaming, but Newegg and Amazon still sell quite a bit of AMD to people on budgets.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'd actually say that AMD's value is most questionable (read: poo poo) in gaming, especially compared to things like well threaded rendering etc.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

They would also be super good for modelling if it wasn't for the power draw. It's essentially the difference between a workstation sounding like a hurricane and a whisper.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

BurritoJustice posted:

I'd actually say that AMD's value is most questionable (read: poo poo) in gaming, especially compared to things like well threaded rendering etc.

Yeah, gaming is their weak point, since they have lovely single-threaded performance. You'd be better off with an i3, even if it cost more, because you could also slam a better chip in the same board later, when money permits.

But this is the AMD thread, so, something positive about AMD. Well, we all hope Zen doesn't suck.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, gaming is their weak point, since they have lovely single-threaded performance. You'd be better off with an i3, even if it cost more, because you could also slam a better chip in the same board later, when money permits.

But this is the AMD thread, so, something positive about AMD. Well, we all hope Zen doesn't suck.

We need to change the tag line.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boiled Water posted:

They would also be super good for modelling if it wasn't for the power draw. It's essentially the difference between a workstation sounding like a hurricane and a whisper.
The Vishera-based LGA server parts were actually very efficient. Which makes sense, because the architecture was designed for servers.

A Bad King posted:

We need to change the tag line.
Carrizo is actually good, just OEM inertia means it wasn't purchased by anybody. :eng99:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 7, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

The turbojet fans cooling it just mean it's noticeably really powerful.

Very noticeably.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Carrizo is actually good, just OEM inertia means it wasn't purchased by anybody. :eng99:

Yeah, I'm a disappointed Carrizo hasn't really had a chance. Even when HP has used it, they've stuffed it in otherwise rubbish machines.

Pretty much the assumed fate of Carrizo. I feel sorry for the engineers who actually tried to do something useful.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

A Bad King posted:

Yet those dual-core Pentiums don't give you a great minimum FPS, and so don't get favored over a good "quad"-core construction core chip in the guides. Spend $20, avoid those half-second dips below 30fps. AMD's value is extremely questionable outside of gaming, but Newegg and Amazon still sell quite a bit of AMD to people on budgets.

Actually an overclocked G3258 tends to get you very good minimum frame times in most games. And if you think that the quad-cores that are recommended in the guides are AMD products: :laugh:

Phenom II was a good chip back in its day, but let's bear in mind that it came out in 2008 - it's 7 years old at this point and it's just no longer a performant chip. Construction cores (Bulldozer, Excavator, Piledriver) aren't a huge improvement unless you're running something highly threaded, which isn't most games.

In the "laptop" class products AMD is more attractive. Socket AM1 products are decent for home server stuff. Socket FM2 is a laptop processor with an onboard iGPU, and they're good for people who would never purchase a discrete GPU. But if you need more than that basic level of performance then the smart money favors Intel. That's also changing over time as Intel starts developing APUs of their own. Skylake is designed as a laptop-class product - it's not an attractive product in a socketed desktop chip, but that FM2 market is clearly what Intel is gunning for in the long term.

If you're just going to play DOTA then you can get away with whatever, including AMD products. But Intel products are much, much better at things that run 1-4 threads like most games.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
$197 million loss this quarter. It does not look good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Also selling 20% of your remaining workforce into Chinese slavery, happy time all around.

• Locked thread