Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Boiled Water posted:

If past amd motherboards have shown us anything it is any feature can be baked into the board if you try hard enough.

Please tell me this is also a thermal runaway joke, even though I can't remember if it was worse for AMD or Intel 10-15 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Seamonster posted:

Any one know or know the rumors concerning how high the DDR4 support will go on Zen consumer desktop level? DDR4 3200 native?

We do not.

We know for a fact that Bristol Ridge will support DDR4 2400 out the door, but nothing about Summit Ridge's DDR4.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So who here is actually going to purchase Zen, if we assume it achieves near-Intel performance for the proportionate price?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PerrineClostermann posted:

So who here is actually going to purchase Zen, if we assume it achieves near-Intel performance for the proportionate price?
I'm going to make two of said systems (both with ECC) if Zen turns out to be any good

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'm still using my 2500k, and it's showing it's age in a few places. It's not over clocking as well, and I really should replace the fan and thermal paste it's been on the same set since it was new. If AMD can make a good CPU again I'll buy it. I run VMs at home because I'm a huge nerd. I've been looking for something affordable in the 4+ core range that wont cripple me in gaming. It's asking too much I know. Holding off on upgrading just a bit longer to see if AMD can deliver seems worth it to me.

I miss my AM2.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Me. Because "intel price/performance" means I have to fork over $1000 for an i7-5960X or chop off an arm and a leg to get the server parts with clocks above 2.2 GHz. AMD guarantees to be cheaper than that. (I hope.) Even with this news that AMD may be rolling with a NUMA-based design, as my Windows VMs that I am going to be playing my games in are going to be using at least 4 cores anyways.

I was expecting to reserve two for Linux and 6 for Windows VMs of various purposes, One for CAD/CAM, another for video editing, both of which would gain A LOT from the extra two cores and four threads. One for games, too, obviously. But it looks like I may be forced to cap at 4 physical cores per VM anyways.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 23, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I just bought a 6600K so not me. I'm betting on buying a big boy processor now paying off in longevity due to how expensive a processor+motherboard combo is and how little of an improvement each new generation has been over the past few years, and I'm not really expecting Zen to come anywhere near 6600K performance. But assuming best-case performance, if it had come out last year before I'd talked myself into spending so much on a CPU, I think I would have been on board.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 23, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

HMS Boromir posted:

I just bought a 6600K so not me. I'm betting on buying a big boy processor now paying off in longevity due to how expensive a processor+motherboard combo is and how little of an improvement each new generation has been over the past few years, and I'm not really expecting Zen to come anywhere near 6600K performance. But assuming best-case performance, if it had come out last year before I'd talked myself into spending so much on a CPU, I think I would have been on board.

As I understand it, peoples hopes are less for Zen to be like a 6600K and more for Zen to be like a E5-2620v4 or i7-5960X, both of which are far slower than a 6600K single threaded but have 8 cores.

A dream case for Zen would be "good enough" single threaded speed similar to a 2.5-3ghz Skylake, and the bigger dies available for less than $600.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Do most people have a use case for those, though? Unless you're betting on some really impressive multi-threaded scaling once DX12/Vulkan hits its stride, AMD catching up a little in single threaded performance and offering a viable alternative to i3s/i5s after so many years of Bulldozer seems like it'd make more waves. Or are people pinning their hopes on Opterons for the sake of AMD's financial situation?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'd like recording 1080p60fps in any modern game to not eat poo poo, for starters

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I'd be on board for Zen for a hexacore moreso than an octocore to potentially replace my 4590. I'm also likely to buy into AM4 with Bristol, and then rotate that out into an HTPC. Raven Ridge sounds cool for a 13" laptop or tablet, not sure I'd get more out of it for HTPC use though compared to Bristol.

I'm also waiting on a 480X to better power my leetgamer MG279Q, so honestly I am a huegdork for AMD. I'd be an idiot for Intel if they ever had more compelling GPU solutions that weren't locked away in niche products for niche prices, and VIA if they'd produce anything but whitepapers.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

I will if the APU is good and there is no Freesync chip from intel available.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
If Zen actually gets the rumored performance (ie. Haswell-ish) for a decent price then I'll probably buy it. I currently have a 2600K that is holding up well but never OC'd all that good (over 4Ghz requires more volts than I'd like) and I do stuff that actually occasionally uses more than 4 cores (encoding).

I'd be surprised if it had support for TB3 in their chipset. Seems to be very much a Intel only thing ATM. Any one of the mobo OEM's can always put on the mobo with a add on controller. Personally I'd prefer 10GbE over TB3 but that is probably still too expensive for most consumer mobos.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am still running i7-930 but looking for upgrade soonish. If the new AMD CPU has good enough performance (Haswell?) for good price, I am in.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The Internet is purporting that Zen offers double the performance of an FX-8350, that it scored double the score of that chip in Cinebench R15. It could just mean "our integer perf is exactly double that of construction cores because hey, what do you know, we put the integer unit back together the way it should have been in the first place!" though. (womp womp)

We've been saying "so long as it's equal to Haswell" for too long, I think they need to be hitting Broadwell to not be laughed out of the venue from the get-go.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 24, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm only interested in game benchmarks and pcie lanes. If it can match a 5820k and have 40pcie lanes.. well I can hope anyway.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

wipeout posted:

I'm only interested in game benchmarks and pcie lanes. If it can match a 5820k and have 40pcie lanes.. well I can hope anyway.

Ya. If it can hit 95% of the performance in games reached by an equivalent Intel chip for 80% of the price, I'd be pretty interested.

I was thinking of hackintoshing this time around tho, and going AMD could complicate matters....

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

mediaphage posted:

Ya. If it can hit 95% of the performance in games reached by an equivalent Intel chip for 80% of the price, I'd be pretty interested.

I was thinking of hackintoshing this time around tho, and going AMD could complicate matters....

Well, in the swirling maelstrom that is rumors about AMD products, apparently Apple is going to gobble up a bunch of Zen and Polaris chips. Salt, Grain, Pinch but if it's 80% the price but 90% the performance Apple probably likes those margins better.

Also rip consumer supply of AMD CPUs and GPUs if Apple wants in.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think they need to be hitting Broadwell to not be laughed out of the venue from the get-go.
Broadwell isn't much faster than Haswell, around 3-5% faster on avg. I believe, and Skylake isn't much faster than Broadwell. Maybe 5-10% on avg.

Haswell-ish performance is close enough that they'll lose the benchmarks but in real world performance you won't notice a difference. That will allow them to compete on price. An 8 thread CPU with Haswell-ish performance for a decent price seems like it'd be a nice upgrade to me. Especially if they actually bothered to leave some OC headroom. But that is probably optimistic.

I'm just hoping they can pull it off.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

Well, in the swirling maelstrom that is rumors about AMD products, apparently Apple is going to gobble up a bunch of Zen and Polaris chips. Salt, Grain, Pinch but if it's 80% the price but 90% the performance Apple probably likes those margins better.

This smells like complete bullshit, maybe Apple is examining this just to strengthen their negotiating position with Intel, but what Zen looks like it will be good at is not the segment Apple lives in, and I'd bet that less than 5% of Macs even have a dedicated GPU at all. The meat of their lineup seems to be Macbook Air / Retina Macbook Pro / Future ultraportable Macbooks, all of which don't have the TDP for any mobile GPU beyond the integrated.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

This smells like complete bullshit, maybe Apple is examining this just to strengthen their negotiating position with Intel, but what Zen looks like it will be good at is not the segment Apple lives in, and I'd bet that less than 5% of Macs even have a dedicated GPU at all. The meat of their lineup seems to be Macbook Air / Retina Macbook Pro / Future ultraportable Macbooks, all of which don't have the TDP for any mobile GPU beyond the integrated.

I can definitely imagine Apple using APUs in Mac Minis, iMacs, and laptops. But yeah, the first Zen chips off the line will not be the APUs that would be suitable for those. And Apple is never going to buy enough discrete GPUs to affect consumer GPU availability.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rastor posted:

And Apple is never going to buy enough discrete GPUs to affect consumer GPU availability.

You say that, but it's happened. The reason there was no R9 285X in the R9 200 generation was because Apple bought up literally the entire supply of Tonga XT for iMacs. Supply only caught up during the R9 300 generation (as the 380X).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 24, 2016

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

You say that, but it's happened. The reason there was no R9 285X in the R9 200 generation was because Apple bought up literally the entire supply of Tonga XT for iMacs. Supply only caught up during the R9 300 generation (as the 380X).

Yes but I'm making the assumption that Apple would not make a new Mac Mini or iMac with a discrete GPU.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Rastor posted:

Yes but I'm making the assumption that Apple would not make a new Mac Mini or iMac with a discrete GPU.

and still charge 1600 dollars for it.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

Mac Minis probably not - they are just taking the same mainboard as is in the MB or MBA and cramming it into a stylish case. But the Retina iMacs have discreet GPUs. Why would they switch those to integrated?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Arsten posted:

Mac Minis probably not - they are just taking the same mainboard as is in the MB or MBA and cramming it into a stylish case. But the Retina iMacs have discreet GPUs. Why would they switch those to integrated?

If they start using higher end Intel Iris powered chips, but even then they may have the option of Discrete vs Integrated as even the Iris 580 is only around 750Ti levels and pushing a 5K screen with that may still be a bit much.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Man I don't even care that much about consumer chips if AMD got an Apple contract. All that guaranteed dollar would make them happy I'm sure.

Twerk from Home posted:

I wouldn't call it complete bullshit, but neither do I find it that likely. There were some pretty concrete rumors about an AMD-equipped Air floating around the Cupertino campus, so I assume this is something they test with every new AMD architecture.

Arsten posted:

Only the 27-inch ships with a discrete GPU by default.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Only the 27-inch ships with a discrete GPU by default.
Woop, I forgot about the 21.5" retinas. :v:

EdEddnEddy posted:

If they start using higher end Intel Iris powered chips, but even then they may have the option of Discrete vs Integrated as even the Iris 580 is only around 750Ti levels and pushing a 5K screen with that may still be a bit much.

The 21.5" Retina iMacs have an Iris Pro 6200 that seems to work well for 4K. Next generation might work well for 5K, which is sad. Discrete GPUs are very useful.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Arsten posted:

Woop, I forgot about the 21.5" retinas. :v:

The 21.5" Retina iMacs have an Iris Pro 6200 that seems to work well for 4K. Next generation might work well for 5K, which is sad. Discrete GPUs are very useful.

Exactly. They work great as a "good enough" level for the lower end machines for basic use (gaming at native res is out of the question) however having a better APU would be great as well as better discrete options going forward.

If AMD can tackle the APU market with not only more powerful GPU's on die, but also keep the power usage comparable to an Intel chip, that would be a huge win, even if the raw CPU performance is still a bit slower.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If apple buys up everything AMD has for the next 10 years and can use that money to building back up and eventually get competition for Intel in the consumer market I'm perfectly okay with that. As much as I'd love to play with a new AMD, AMD having money is the most important thing to having a competitive CPU market, which is just good for everyone.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

pixaal posted:

If apple buys up everything AMD has for the next 10 years and can use that money to building back up and eventually get competition for Intel in the consumer market I'm perfectly okay with that. As much as I'd love to play with a new AMD, AMD having money is the most important thing to having a competitive CPU market, which is just good for everyone.

A-loving-men.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

pixaal posted:

💯

Seriously though, this is like my best-case fantasy option. I do wonder, if AMD had stayed more competitive with Intel, where Intel's microarchitecture would be right now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

mediaphage posted:

💯

Seriously though, this is like my best-case fantasy option. I do wonder, if AMD had stayed more competitive with Intel, where Intel's microarchitecture would be right now.

They'd probably be pushing slightly hotter and higher clocked chips at the top end, and they'd surely be giving us that sweet Crystalwell L4 cache on more chips (we wish), but also, they'd have to be more competitive. Unlocked core i3s. No RAM speed limitation on the locked chipsets. More than 4 cores on their mainstream platform, and so on.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 24, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

More pcie lanes perhaps.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Another Article stating that Zen could be on par with a i7 5960X

If that was at all true at any possible level, that would be pretty nifty. Especially if they price it super competitively. Now would Zen and AMD themselves just make Zen as their main platform, or will they be separating things like Intel where Zen = Intels' - E i7's and their future APU's remain as the mainstream non - E Intel chips?

If they can make a Quad core Zen comparable to say a 6600K with a APU comparable or better to the Iris 580 for $100 less than a 6700K, that would be a killer chip.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm keeping my expectations fairly realistic - 5820k with more pcie lanes would do me fine.

I honestly only care about game FPS and being able to drop in SLI at full pcie3 x 16 without paying the ridiculous extra amount for unlocked pcie lanes would be nice. I hope they make this possible and maybe sell more shiny new graphics cards because of it.

Otherwise I'll just buy a 5930k on Zen launch day. And be kinda sad about it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 25, 2016

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

EdEddnEddy posted:

Another Article stating that Zen could be on par with a i7 5960X

If that was at all true at any possible level, that would be pretty nifty.

Understatement of the year. It would be friggin' fantastic. As long as the chipset it is paired with isn't a pile of poo poo, the power usage isn't through the goddamn roof, and the price is reasonable.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Confirmation that not all coolers compatible with AM2 and up will be compatible with AM4.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

those pins are going to be so loving fragile and small :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
That's a nice thing about Intel, with LGA a bent pin means replacing a $100 mobo instead of a $300 processor.

• Locked thread