Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

940 pins were sturdy at least and salvageable if you had a mechanical pencil.

I wonder about the 1331 here though :ohdear: Probably won't be as bad if they're the same diameter but the pin bases will have to cut it real close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

"For all AMD fans out there, we have good news. AMD has just informed us, that the new ‪#‎AM4‬ CPUs will use the standard mounting holes that has become the norm since AM2. This means, all Thermalright coolers will be compatible to the new ‪#‎Zen‬ processors."

:confuoot:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

940 pins were sturdy at least and salvageable if you had a mechanical pencil.

I wonder about the 1331 here though :ohdear: Probably won't be as bad if they're the same diameter but the pin bases will have to cut it real close.

Leave it to AMD to make a modern(?) microprocessor where the most advanced, revolutionary component is the sheer oddity of the socket it's on.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
If AMD offers really good, lifetime warranty service for CPUs, maybe it won't be an issue? It also makes board partners super happy for simplicity and cost purposes IIRC to go PGA instead of LGA.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would have liked to have heard that meeting. Given all the other cost-cutting measures that AMD has taken up, moving to LGA seems like a fairly straightforward one to also do.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PerrineClostermann posted:

So who here is actually going to purchase Zen, if we assume it achieves near-Intel performance for the proportionate price?

Probably not immediately for myself but maybe a future build since I'm running a perfectly good i5-4670K system I built just shy of 2 years ago. I do want to see AMD hit close to Haswell/Skylake performance and especially be able to overclock well on the unlocked chips, some of their past generations seemed to have weird issues getting past a certain speed due to chip limitations, thermals or something else wonky. My old Opteron 170 dual core wouldn't clock past 2.8Ghz on air with a giant Zalman CNPS 9700 cooler no matter what settings I tweaked, but I upgraded to a C2Q 9550 after that and got drat near 4Ghz with a multiplier and FSB bump like it was nothing, didn't even have to change the core voltage or RAM timings. Give me that in a lower TDP chip that generates less heat and can be competitive, and I'm all in.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think expecting them to get that level of performance (ie. rumored approximate equivalent to i7-5960X) with lower TDP might be asking a bit too much. Beating Haswell on perf/W would be a huge deal for AMD but that almost seems overly optimistic to me.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

also, not using quad channel RAM also hurts its prospects on some workloads you'd actually want 8 cores for

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
are people actually believing that a chart in an investor presentation with no axis labels showing one bar twice as large as the other means that the new product is going to actually be 2x as fast? have you learned nothing in the past 20 years? is there some other source I've missed here?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Professor Science posted:

are people actually believing that a chart in an investor presentation with no axis labels showing one bar twice as large as the other means that the new product is going to actually be 2x as fast? have you learned nothing in the past 20 years? is there some other source I've missed here?

I don't think anyone is believing poo poo. Just an air of cautious optimism.
AMD needs to catch a break...

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Well, breathe easy everyone, Thermalright is retarded

The whole confusion appears to stem from AMD continuing to use Wraith coolers with zero modification. Thermalright Germany then took this to mean no changes to mounting holes or socket were happening, and announced such without confirmation. Thermalright US then contacted them to let them know "No, doofuses, Wraith coolers sit on a mounting bracket that AMD can modify at will and still maintain compatibility. Mounting holes are different."

So now I'm wondering how much bigger AM4 is as a socket. Wonder if they'll be a cheeky motherfucker and use a 1366 pattern :allears:

EDIT: NVM, actual confirmation on some dimensions proceed to panic.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 26, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The mounting points are more square, maybe the package PCB will be bigger? :ohdear:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
It could be the size of a Pentium 90 if that'll help them be competitive again.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Probably not immediately for myself but maybe a future build since I'm running a perfectly good i5-4670K system I built just shy of 2 years ago. I do want to see AMD hit close to Haswell/Skylake performance and especially be able to overclock well on the unlocked chips, some of their past generations seemed to have weird issues getting past a certain speed due to chip limitations, thermals or something else wonky. My old Opteron 170 dual core wouldn't clock past 2.8Ghz on air with a giant Zalman CNPS 9700 cooler no matter what settings I tweaked, but I upgraded to a C2Q 9550 after that and got drat near 4Ghz with a multiplier and FSB bump like it was nothing, didn't even have to change the core voltage or RAM timings. Give me that in a lower TDP chip that generates less heat and can be competitive, and I'm all in.

Opteron 170 was a 2ghz chip so putting it to 2800 is a 40% overclock. C2Q 9550 was a 2.83 ghz chip so getting it to 4ghz is a 40% overclock. That's actually pretty comparable considering the 9550is I think 2 generations ahead of the 170.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

HalloKitty posted:

I don't think anyone is believing poo poo. Just an air of cautious optimism.
AMD needs to catch a break...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ever notice how every picture of Zen is blurry? :tinfoil:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"UPDATE: We've been contacted by AMD and received the following statement: "Just to be clear, we are not splitting the company. This is an internal structural shift and doesn't change things like financial segment reporting. This move should not be interpreted as a step towards creating a separate company or preparing for any sort of split. Graphics IP remains critical across our full product portfolio."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/amd-splits-in-two-meet-rtg-or-radeon-technologies-group-491346.shtml

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wipeout posted:

"UPDATE: We've been contacted by AMD and received the following statement: "Just to be clear, we are not splitting the company. This is an internal structural shift and doesn't change things like financial segment reporting. This move should not be interpreted as a step towards creating a separate company or preparing for any sort of split. Graphics IP remains critical across our full product portfolio."

http://news.softpedia.com/news/amd-splits-in-two-meet-rtg-or-radeon-technologies-group-491346.shtml
That's from September though

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Oh drat I thought I'd found something useful. Has amd commented?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That's from September though

Long enough for everything to go to poo poo.

wipeout posted:

Oh drat I thought I'd found something useful. Has amd commented?

I just tweeted AMD and Roy Taylor for comment.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

In a way though, if AMD lost their ATI/RTG tech for whatever reason, there goes pretty much what has been keeping their CPU's in any sort of market at all. Their APU's id think are in a slightly bit more demand then just their FX chips.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

EdEddnEddy posted:

In a way though, if AMD lost their ATI/RTG tech for whatever reason, there goes pretty much what has been keeping their CPU's in any sort of market at all. Their APU's id think are in a slightly bit more demand then just their FX chips.

There was a report or something that indicated AMD APUs make up some 38% of the mobile (read laptop) market. How in the gently caress I don't know.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

There was a report or something that indicated AMD APUs make up some 38% of the mobile (read laptop) market. How in the gently caress I don't know.

Exactly. They usually seem to be in the lower end laptops, but for $300-500 you can usually get a quad core laptop with an APU that can stop anything in that price range from Intel GPU wise. If any of their APU's went up against an Iris or Iris PRO system, it would be a slaughter, but those usually don't appear in anything below the $1000+ point unless you count the latest Skull Canyon NUC which still is $1000+ with SSD/RAM.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I'm kind of waiting to see SwissAD comment but he was on suicide watch with the Zen die shot; so how are we doing this memorial service?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I don't think Polaris will actually go gently caress itself as bad as Kyle wishes it to, but the RTG split is the actual worrying part.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

So, if Polaris turns out well, I just hope we can all agree that Kyle threw his toys out of the pram because he didn't get invited to a party.

E- not just the party.. seems the relationship between Kyle and AMD has been a real shitshow recently :v:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 27, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'd like recording 1080p60fps in any modern game to not eat poo poo, for starters

Unless you're still using a really bad recording program (fraps??) recording at this level has like, negligible performance impact so long as your disk subsystem doesn't suck.
Recording with dxtory or obs, even real time scaling down a 2560 * 1440 res game to 1080, will hit you with maaaaybe a 3-5 fps penalty.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I don't get how a Video Card Review site would act/want/be biased toward/against any company directly.

Hell on side has great stuff one year, the other side the next, those that are dedicated to one side for Emotional reasons are a bit silly and can only be harming themselves at some point unless they are engrossed into the tech that side offers (In my Case, Shields/Game Streaming/3D Vision (hah) and other Nvidia powered stuff currently for now). but that doesn't keep me from Liking/rooting for the other side to pull something off, hell just getting my hands on new tech to see what someone has done with it to offer something new is fun as hell to me.

I am not saying every review has to be positive, but to be objective without being a dick about it would be the first thing you would want to do as a hardware reviewer I would think. The minute your own personal feelings start to skew the numbers, writeup, or relations with a company, you are pretty much done as everyone that sees it, will call foul anytime you post anything and the companies will think the same. (as seen here).

I need to brush up on my writing skills/style and see if I can join a site sometime to do freelance or something. Hmmm

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

Unless you're still using a really bad recording program (fraps??) recording at this level has like, negligible performance impact so long as your disk subsystem doesn't suck.
Recording with dxtory or obs, even real time scaling down a 2560 * 1440 res game to 1080, will hit you with maaaaybe a 3-5 fps penalty.
I kind of need to go nuts with bitrate because artifacts on videos I record really bug me and while Shadowplay is fine for streaming I just want really high quality video of me playing like poo poo :spergin:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Use some OBS and crank it up with the Nvidia encoder. Though Shadowplay does do 1080P60FPS reasonably well with it set to its max setting.

Either way, as long as you aren't doing VR, you have plenty of options, and if you are doing VR, then get a 1080 and you're good too.

Really, encoding game video while you game has come a long way from the old Fraps days...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I kind of need to go nuts with bitrate because artifacts on videos I record really bug me and while Shadowplay is fine for streaming I just want really high quality video of me playing like poo poo :spergin:

Yea, DxTory is like maximal sperg video recording vs shadowplay, but is still extremely fast and good, I highly recommend it. At really high bitrates unless you're recording to SSDs (And if you are then DEAR GOD MAN ((although I guess 850 evos ARE really cheap these days...))), you need a solid raid-10 or something of mech drives to keep up.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I wouldn't even mind using an 840 EVO for that purpose. You know, the ones where if you leave data on it for over a month, your drive slows down to molasses? So long as you get it off the drive and don't leave it there for more than a month, it'd work fine as a recording target device/scratch disk.

Scratch that, looks like they're discontinued and sell for many times original price. Still valid if you find one for a song, but otherwise get an 850.

(Although I'm not convinced that Samsung hasn't hosed something up with the 850s as well... I'm waiting until the 860s to see if they've got this 3D V-NAND thing right or not.)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 28, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The 840 EVO's been replaced by the 750 EVO, which should be a little better and not have the bug that made that happen. The 250 GB model seems to be priced about the same as a Sandisk Ultra II though and I'm pretty sure it loses to it in performance so if you want to cheap out you should probably just get one of htose.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No, no, this is the first new rig that I'm building in five years. Literally, I just checked the invoices. Last rig's parts were ordered May 4th, 2011.

I'm not cheaping out on ANYTHING, which is why it's so important to me that AMD do well on both the CPU and GPU sides, so I can really get my money's worth there.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, no, this is the first new rig that I'm building in five years. Literally, I just checked the invoices. Last rig's parts were ordered May 4th, 2011.

I'm not cheaping out on ANYTHING, which is why it's so important to me that AMD do well on both the CPU and GPU sides, so I can really get my money's worth there.

If you're building fresh now and not cheaping on anything why not just get a 950 pro?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Get a 850 EVO. They have been out for a while and haven't had problems. If you want to spend lots of money on slightly better performance, the 950 Pro is what you want to get (850 Pro is pointless for home users).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gwaihir posted:

If you're building fresh now and not cheaping on anything why not just get a 950 pro?

Mostly? Because I don't trust Samsung after being burned hard on the 840 EVOs in many, many builds I've done for other people. I had to explain the problem on a basic level to too many people way too many times, and I've kind of soured on Samsung storage as a result.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't noticed this issue in my 840 :shrug:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

PerrineClostermann posted:

I still haven't noticed this issue in my 840 :shrug:

Me neither, I'm very glad about it. I'm glad the newer drives seem solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I still got an 850 as well, but honestly I don't notice a difference day-to-day with any of my 3 SSDs.

• Locked thread