Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Chuu posted:

Newegg has the FX-9590 as a shell shocker deal for $260 today, which ties right into that. I'd love the novelty of playing around with a 220W CPU but $260 is just too high.

I wonder how many of these sold anywhere near retail price.

I remember when they first came out and were selling for a thousand dollars... You had to be a special kind of crazy to buy one then considering the amount of manual tweaking required to even make one work at it's advertised clock speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

I remember when they first came out and were selling for a thousand dollars... You had to be a special kind of crazy to buy one then considering the amount of manual tweaking required to even make one work at it's advertised clock speed.

I read that its just an overclocked 8350. Not "sort of" but literally.

It's probably just common knowledge but when I saw that price, I looked up benchmarks to see if even at $260 was it worthwhile over an i7 4770k and no. It is not. Stock for stock the i7 beats it (at least for games)

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
Ehh I'm a not-so-proud owner of an FX-8350. It was the fastest FX before 9370 came along and I'm glad I haven't bought this loving incinerator because 4Ghz 8350 already runs plenty hot (80C at full load, with aftermarket cooling.) I simply don't see how 9370 could operate as intended (4.7 Ghz? Are you loving serious?) and do they expect it to be cooled with a stock cooler or does AMD ship that CPU without a cooler, like Intel's LGA2011 CPUs?

I owned a LGA2011 system back in the day, and while it was a complete dog at least it gave some performance.
FX-8320 is the only FX I'd recommend to people, it runs really well with stock cooling and you can easily squeeze a good 600Mhz OC out of it. Other processors in FX family are simply too lacklustre or HOT to recommend to anyone, really.

edit: I just dusted off my 8350 because the chip runs incredibly close to its thermal limits and a 5% reduction in cooling efficiency sends it over the edge. So not only the processor is a dog, it's a high-maintenance dog too. Should have stuck with my old 8320.

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 14, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
Oh what I was really getting at was the fact that it is just an overclock 8350 ... selling for $800-$1000 originally :lol:

They came with no cooler or a "stock" watercooler

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Many years ago I became an AMD fanboy after witnessing a dualcore Prescott P4 in action. It was the noisiest, hottest running turd I've ever seen, and it was obliterated by ANY Athlon x2. Few years later, the company that gave us A64 architecture has stooped to making eight-core prescotts; noisy and hot FX turds. AMD, I am so disappoint :(

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Many years ago I became an AMD fanboy after witnessing a dualcore Prescott P4 in action. It was the noisiest, hottest running turd I've ever seen, and it was obliterated by ANY Athlon x2. Few years later, the company that gave us A64 architecture has stooped to making eight-core prescotts; noisy and hot FX turds. AMD, I am so disappoint :(

I was a fanboy with my last phenom II 965 BE. Before that my 3-core was baller as well because it cost $75 and the fourth core unlocked. When the first FX came around though I was just confused.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Ignoarints posted:

I was a fanboy with my last phenom II 965 BE. Before that my 3-core was baller as well because it cost $75 and the fourth core unlocked. When the first FX came around though I was just confused.

I jumped on the Socket AM3+ platform while it was still cutting-edge technology, and the whole thing was evidently rushed out the door before the teething troubles were sorted out. I had no end of trouble running two 550Ti cards in SLI - the whole system stuttered horribly and video - any video - was completely unwatchable. Google couldn't come up with an answer, and no amount of tweaking could make the loving thing work, so I had to remove the SLI bridge, which was pretty much the worst (and only) solution.
A few years of development later, I have an FX system which suffers from microstuttering, this is apparently caused by some thread-scheduling issue which was never fully resolved. I went with an FX system because I needed a lot of cache memory and the ability to run eight threads in parallel (their individual speed is less of a concern). But my next system is definitely going to be an Intel. :(

e:sp

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 14, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I would love to be able to eventually replace my i5 with something from AMD, buuuuuuuuut...I don't see that happening. Ever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ehh I'm a not-so-proud owner of an FX-8350. It was the fastest FX before 9370 came along and I'm glad I haven't bought this loving incinerator because 4Ghz 8350 already runs plenty hot (80C at full load, with aftermarket cooling.) I simply don't see how 9370 could operate as intended (4.7 Ghz? Are you loving serious?) and do they expect it to be cooled with a stock cooler or does AMD ship that CPU without a cooler, like Intel's LGA2011 CPUs?

I owned a LGA2011 system back in the day, and while it was a complete dog at least it gave some performance.
FX-8320 is the only FX I'd recommend to people, it runs really well with stock cooling and you can easily squeeze a good 600Mhz OC out of it. Other processors in FX family are simply too lacklustre or HOT to recommend to anyone, really.

edit: I just dusted off my 8350 because the chip runs incredibly close to its thermal limits and a 5% reduction in cooling efficiency sends it over the edge. So not only the processor is a dog, it's a high-maintenance dog too. Should have stuck with my old 8320.

Not only is it sold without a cooler but the specifications list liquid cooling as a requirement.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

thegreatcodfish posted:

Man, you'll really hate me then. I don't even have it over clocked or the fourth core unlocked anymore.

I upgraded from a 720 to a free 1100T.....sad, but it was free. I'm kinda wishing I hadn't gotten it since I have less incentive to rebuilt completely.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

My family has been long-time AMD diehards. My desktops have pretty much always been AMD based - first a K6-2 400, then an Athlon XP 1800+, then an A64 X2 3800+, and most recently a Phenom II X4. I did a lot of video encoding on a Thunderbird and had a media PC running an XP Mobile chip long before TV PCs were common.

At this point I'm trying to figure out a reasonable upgrade path from the Phenom and the math on Bulldozer/Piledriver just doesn't work. The traditional advantage of AMD was power usage, and at this point AMD has become Pentium 4-level bad on power. The per-core performance is solidly better on the i7 and even on highly threaded workloads the AMD processors still underperform. The AMD processors usually have been better value even when they underperformed, but that's no longer true either.

In particular on price, the AMD 970 chipset really really hosed things up. I could see scrounging up some components on the cheap, but all the cheap AM3+ mobos are 970-based. The 970 is advertised as supporting 125W TDP (i.e. Piledriver chips) and some of the mobos specifically advertise support but if you actually try to pull that much power in a sustained fashion (encoding, etc) then the motherboard chipset burns up. So as an upgrade path, that equipment is totally throwaway. You need the new 990 chipset which is just as expensive as buying an Intel motherboard. gently caress that noise.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 15, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Note that the motherboard burning up doesn't really have anything to do with the chipset, it's insufficient power phases and cooling for the VRM components by the motherboard designer. Even on their APU platforms the lower-end boards without heatsinks on the VRMs power-off under load, Anandtech gave up and performs all their AMD mobo reviews with a case fan blowing on the VRM area. Honestly there comes a point where people need to accept that it costs a certain amount to build a motherboard and if you find one cheaper than that it can't work.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Alereon posted:

Note that the motherboard burning up doesn't really have anything to do with the chipset, it's insufficient power phases and cooling for the VRM components by the motherboard designer. Even on their APU platforms the lower-end boards without heatsinks on the VRMs power-off under load, Anandtech gave up and performs all their AMD mobo reviews with a case fan blowing on the VRM area. Honestly there comes a point where people need to accept that it costs a certain amount to build a motherboard and if you find one cheaper than that it can't work.

I guess my days of buying crappy $40 motherboards are over. Did I just always get lucky or was this a new development since bulldozer is so lovely?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

keyvin posted:

I guess my days of buying crappy $40 motherboards are over. Did I just always get lucky or was this a new development since bulldozer is so lovely?
You are extremely lucky, though at least back in the day cheap motherboards generally powered the CPUs on their compatibility list fine and only burst into flames if you tried to use a 140W TDP CPU.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

then an Athlon XP 1800+,

Oh yes, this one. In fact I'm still keeping an old Palomino system in the basement as an emergency rig. Paired up with a gig of DDR and a decent video card, the old fucker runs Win7 quite happily, and though it's hardly a speed demon it's powerful enough for internet and youtube. Not bad for a system that's nearly fifteen years old.
On the other hand, FX seems to be doomed to become a novelty part down the line through sheer audacity. What are the sales figures for Bulldozer and Piledriver? In the past AMD had trouble meeting the demand for XP and A64 processors, while FX seems like a pretty hard part to move. :(

A SWEATY FATBEARD fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 15, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

On the other hand, FX seems to be doomed to become a novelty part down the line through sheer audacity. What are the sales figures for Bulldozer and Piledriver? In the past AMD had trouble meeting the demand for XP and A64 processors, while FX seems like a pretty hard part to move. :(

Numbers here: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/175190-amd-beats-earnings-estimates-thanks-to-console-sales-but-apu-outlook-is-bleak

Basically AMD is being driven out of the desktop market. Desktops are declining overall but Intel has suffered a glancing blow while AMD took it on the chin. They're riding pretty heavily on console sales (both the PS4 and the Xbox One use AMD CPUs) as well as their GPU business, which is thriving thanks to Bitcoin and altcoins. They're still in a somewhat unstable position but they're not bleeding out anymore at least.

It's worth noting that both the PS4 and the Xbox One are built around Jaguar, AMD's low-power architecture, rather than Piledriver.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 15, 2014

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Timna, if you will.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Numbers here: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/175190-amd-beats-earnings-estimates-thanks-to-console-sales-but-apu-outlook-is-bleak

Basically AMD is being driven out of the desktop market. Desktops are declining overall but Intel has suffered a glancing blow while AMD took it on the chin. They're riding pretty heavily on console sales (both the PS4 and the Xbox One use AMD CPUs) as well as their GPU business, which is thriving thanks to Bitcoin and altcoins. They're still in a somewhat unstable position but they're not bleeding out anymore at least.

It's worth noting that both the PS4 and the Xbox One are built around Jaguar, AMD's low-power architecture, rather than Piledriver.

as far as I can tell, none of their roadmaps even mention a successor to the FX stuff, at least not this year or the next.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

as far as I can tell, none of their roadmaps even mention a successor to the FX stuff, at least not this year or the next.

Pure speculation makes me think the successor to FX is a 'nice thing to do when we can' and not a priority. If their APU direction pays off in a big way it might give them the floating resources to put people back on the FX project.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The successor to FX will be AMD getting a second source license for mainstream Intel processors again. :rimshot:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Install Windows posted:

The successor to FX will be AMD getting a second source license for mainstream Intel processors again. :rimshot:

Could be worse :sigh:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

El Scotch posted:

Pure speculation makes me think the successor to FX is a 'nice thing to do when we can' and not a priority. If their APU direction pays off in a big way it might give them the floating resources to put people back on the FX project.

I find myself wondering if history will repeat itself, and have AMD do what Intel did years ago: abandon their FX line in favor of improving their APUs to the point that they can get high end performance from them.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Hey, this is big: Global Foundries and IBM cross-licensed Samsung's 14 nm FinFET node. With AMD being a big GloFo customer, that means they now have process-parity with Intel all of a sudden. The process is for CPUs and SoCs only, apparently, so it won't suddenly filter over the GPUs (which is a shame).

TechReport link

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Factory Factory posted:

Hey, this is big: Global Foundries and IBM cross-licensed Samsung's 14 nm FinFET node. With AMD being a big GloFo customer, that means they now have process-parity with Intel all of a sudden. The process is for CPUs and SoCs only, apparently, so it won't suddenly filter over the GPUs (which is a shame).

TechReport link

Cross reference this with what nVidia's up to lately with IBM, the POWER-inspired nVLink interlink technology, and things are getting really interesting in SoCS. IBM is working as quickly as possible to make people forget about their unfortunate circumstances relating to the NCSA Blue Waters project.

Wheels within wheels. Good catch, FF :) Wish you were around more on Skype, miss ya man.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Does this mean they might suddenly pull a non poo poo processor out of their arse?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Probably not. AMD is focusing on APUs, and the inclusion of both CPU and GPU functionality in an APU means they have passed over processes which are only optimal for one type of functionality.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I still don't understand what APUs do that are different from any modern CPU with GPU built in. Can someone explain?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Install Windows posted:

I still don't understand what APUs do that are different from any modern CPU with GPU built in. Can someone explain?

It's their term for a CPU with GPU compute capability built in, like Nvidia's Tegra chips with CUDA or something like that.

Theoretically there's advantages to doing it this way, if I remember they were working on a fully unified address space, so you avoid the bottleneck of having to offload data to the coprocessor.

In practical terms, I don't think it's much different for most desktop users, since most of the intensive tasks like video decoding are handled in any decent processor with GPU. It's probably a selling point if you're (say) Sony and you're going to build a software ecosystem around the feature set.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 20, 2014

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
In a broader sense AMD wants to force the "APU" moniker through pure marketing spin well ahead of what an "APU" actually implies in a technical sense, and readily admits that Nehalem et al were technically "APUs" in order to try to win the greater framing of the "APU" as a massive technological advancement. If you don't have anything going for your company, "your photos will look better on an AMD processor!!!" and, uh, providing the world's fastest JPEG decoder is a reasonable PR strategy to those that don't realize how funny it is. unlocking both sides of the brain :supaburn:

I would like AMD to find their legs in an appropriate market segment, but it's kind of pathetic, especially when the occasional tech site gives the concept credence.

e: that said, Kaveri was a vast improvement in this respect, and Carrizo probably will be too, but I think the PR is well ahead of the tech in this case

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 20, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
AMD is running into the market space where they still have an advantage over Intel

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Install Windows posted:

HSA is a pretty big deal. It means you can pass pointers to memory between the CPU and GPU, massively simplifying offloading processing to the GPU. I believe open office calc was modified to take advantage of it, and it dramatically decreased the amount of time taken to process a large sheet.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

This is great, now just invent time travel and send it back to 1997 when anyone would give a poo poo.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The performance gains can be impressive,

the problem is your app has to be modified to take advantage of HSA. AMD has a long road ahead of them to convince developers to do so.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

In a broader sense AMD wants to force the "APU" moniker through pure marketing spin well ahead of what an "APU" actually implies in a technical sense, and readily admits that Nehalem et al were technically "APUs" in order to try to win the greater framing of the "APU" as a massive technological advancement.
More fundamentally, an APU is different from a CPU due to the balance of compute performance offered by the CPU cores vs the GPU cores. It's a valid criticism that AMD had and has weak CPU cores and strong GPU cores so emphasizing this balance makes business sense for them, but it's also true that AMD's APUs deliver vastly more graphics and GPU compute performance than any previous solution, and Intel has yet to come close to catching up on the solutions you can actually buy.

Here's kind of a wall-of-text with the compute performance of various integrated graphics solutions from the last few years:

AMD
AMD 880G Chipset = 44.8 GFLOPS (HD 4250) (March 2010)
Llano:
A8-3870K = 480 GFLOPS (HD 6550D) (Dec 20, 2011, 100W)
Trinity:
A10-5800K = 614 GFLOPS (HD 7660D) (Oct 1, 2012, 100W)
Richland:
A10-6800K = 648.2 GFLOPS (HD 8670D) (Jun 4 2013, 100W)
Kaveri:
A10-7800 = 737.3 GFLOPS (R7) (Jan 14, 2014, 95W)

Intel
Intel G45 Chipset = 32 GFLOPS (GMA X4500 HD) (June 2008)
Sandy Bridge:
Core i5 2500 = 52.8 GFLOPS (HD 2000) (January 2011) (95W)
Core i5 2500K = 105.6 GFLOPS (HD 3000) (January 2011) (95W)
Ivy Bridge:
Core i5 3570 = 110.4 GFLOPS (HD 2500) (April 2012) (77W)
Core i5 3570K = 294.4 GFLOPS (HD 4000) (April 2012) (77W)
Haswell:
Core i5 4670K = 384 GFLOPS (HD 4600) (June 2013) (84W)
Core i5 4570R = 736 GFLOPS (Iris Pro 5200) (June 2013) (65W)

You can see that Intel didn't step significantly beyond the bare minimum on their mainstream CPUs until Haswell. Iris Pro graphics finally offers performance that is competitive with AMD APUs, but it will remain extremely difficult to find those products in the market until Broadwell next year.

Things like JPEG decoding can seem pointless on the desktop, but for ultramobile markets (especially Android) everything you can move to fixed-function hardware represents performance and battery life improvements. Kabini is targeted at the same markets as Atom and ARM processors.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 20, 2014

Dude Warez my .tar
Feb 17, 2007

Worst Poster Award '07
Anyone here have a chance to use the new Kabini based Athlons or Semprons? The barebone kits are fairly inexpensive, and they seem interesting for a small general purpose ITX build.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Dude Warez my .tar posted:

Anyone here have a chance to use the new Kabini based Athlons or Semprons? The barebone kits are fairly inexpensive, and they seem interesting for a small general purpose ITX build.
It doesn't seem like a good option compared to a build with a Pentium G3220, for example. The TDP is higher and the system would cost $15-$30 more, but Kabini is just so drat slow that it doesn't make sense to go with one over a Pentium or Celeron, especially since you're giving up QuickSync that was recently added to Celeron and Pentium CPUs (previously Core i3 only).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Alereon posted:

It doesn't seem like a good option compared to a build with a Pentium G3220, for example. The TDP is higher and the system would cost $15-$30 more, but Kabini is just so drat slow that it doesn't make sense to go with one over a Pentium or Celeron, especially since you're giving up QuickSync that was recently added to Celeron and Pentium CPUs (previously Core i3 only).

Speaking of QuickSync, did Handbrake's developers just dump it as an option? I've poked around on Sourceforge and tried the only available nightly, but QSV is just not popping up.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Panty Saluter posted:

Speaking of QuickSync, did Handbrake's developers just dump it as an option? I've poked around on Sourceforge and tried the only available nightly, but QSV is just not popping up.
I would think it should work if you have the latest Intel graphics drivers and are on 64-bit Windows, beyond that I'm not sure.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AMD made some press today.

They announced Project Skybridge, a single socket for which they will make both ARM and x86 Processors.

They are developing a 64-bit ARM core, called K12.

They are also developing a new x86 core which is "a new design built from the ground up". Rumor has it that for this new core AMD is giving up on the CMT design used in Bulldozer/Piledriver/Steamroller/Excavator and will instead go back to something more like what Intel has been using.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rastor posted:

They are also developing a new x86 core which is "a new design built from the ground up". Rumor has it that for this new core AMD is giving up on the CMT design used in Bulldozer/Piledriver/Steamroller/Excavator and will instead go back to something more like what Intel has been using.

14nm Samsung FinFET K13 with no more than four physical cores? I can only hope.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 5, 2014

• Locked thread