Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Alright, so mobile Kaveri? Kinda sexy.

If someone takes an Intel ultrabook, rips out the Intel bits and drops AMD bits into the space created and drops the price accordingly, without adding additional cost-cutting measures like screen quality, changing the SSD for an inferior HDD, and cutting other corners? That's a pretty nice laptop for a pretty good price. If only I didn't already have the Precision...

http://techreport.com/review/26528/a-first-look-at-amd-kaveri-apu-for-notebooks

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8119/amd-launches-mobile-kaveri-apus

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alright, so mobile Kaveri? Kinda sexy.

If someone takes an Intel ultrabook, rips out the Intel bits and drops AMD bits into the space created and drops the price accordingly, without adding additional cost-cutting measures like screen quality, changing the SSD for an inferior HDD, and cutting other corners? That's a pretty nice laptop for a pretty good price. If only I didn't already have the Precision...

http://techreport.com/review/26528/a-first-look-at-amd-kaveri-apu-for-notebooks

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8119/amd-launches-mobile-kaveri-apus

Yeah, read the article earlier, looks pretty decent. No battery life results yet, though.

I'm just expecting there to be no good AMD laptops though, simply because normally AMD laptops are built cheaply, which is a shame. For my money, I'm liking the AMD APU balance for laptops (worse CPU, better GPU) because overall it's better in light gaming use cases, where the lower end Intel graphics still fall apart.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, read the article earlier, looks pretty decent. No battery life results yet, though.

I'm just expecting there to be no good AMD laptops though, simply because normally AMD laptops are built cheaply, which is a shame. For my money, I'm liking the AMD APU balance for laptops (worse CPU, better GPU) because overall it's better in light gaming use cases, where the lower end Intel graphics still fall apart.

Agreed. But I think it's got a shot in the next laptop refresh cycle. If this succeeds, it will not be on its own merits, I think, so much as it will be thanks to Intel's continued delay of their 14nm parts.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Non-doom-and-gloom APU news, yes! I guess we have to wait 'til these hit the market to see how much of a difference they make in usefulness-to-dollar ratio.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Welp, spoke too soon. HP's got three Kaveri-based Elitebooks for under 8 bills, and look to be *exactly* that thing that I just said about being an ultrabook minus the Intel and no cost-cutting. http://techreport.com/news/26566/kaveri-apus-land-in-three-hp-elitebook-laptops

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Welp, spoke too soon. HP's got three Kaveri-based Elitebooks for under 8 bills, and look to be *exactly* that thing that I just said about being an ultrabook minus the Intel and no cost-cutting. http://techreport.com/news/26566/kaveri-apus-land-in-three-hp-elitebook-laptops

The AMD whitebook everyone tested a few weeks ago was apparently quoted at being able to retail at about $700. It was a 15.6" 1080p screen, top of the line FX-7600p, and a 256GB SSD. The build quality was reasonable if not perfect. If someone comes out with a machine that hits those specs and doesn't suck in some other way, I can imagine it selling quite well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Malderi posted:

The AMD whitebook everyone tested a few weeks ago was apparently quoted at being able to retail at about $700. It was a 15.6" 1080p screen, top of the line FX-7600p, and a 256GB SSD. The build quality was reasonable if not perfect. If someone comes out with a machine that hits those specs and doesn't suck in some other way, I can imagine it selling quite well.

Ding ding! That is, in fact, what these HPs are retailing at! STarting at $799 for the smallest, $739 for the 14", and $749 for the 15.6"!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ding ding! That is, in fact, what these HPs are retailing at! STarting at $799 for the smallest, $739 for the 14", and $749 for the 15.6"!

Starting prices though, they won't come with a 256GB SSD for that.

Check the spec sheets out, they can be had with hard drives too. My guess is a lovely hard drive comes in the base price, plus, those HP EliteBooks aren't going to use the high end APUs, which is a shame, as I'd only really be interested in the fastest one (FX-7600P).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
EU appeals court upholds $1.4b fine against Intel.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/12/intel-loses-eu-antitrust-appeal/

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 13, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

EU appeals court upholds $1.4b fine against Intel, AMD to get a nice shot of cash in the arm.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/12/intel-loses-eu-antitrust-appeal/

Is any of that going to AMD?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

El Scotch posted:

Is any of that going to AMD?

....oh poo poo, you know what? I never thought to check. I thought that the EU courts were dysfunctional and purely the tool of corporate lawyers like they are in the US instead of actually regulating business. >.<

I need to research if any of that is going to AMD, and I'll edit my last post.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

It's a drop in the bucket for Intels 50 billion business, but would be quite the significant boost for AMDs 5 billion dollar business.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The EU citizens were hurt. The money goes to the EU. Why would a dollar go to AMD?? How do you decide if it goes to AMD, ARM, Transmeta, VIA.... no, no, far simpler to just give it all to the EU.

Pimpmust posted:

It's a drop in the bucket for Intels 50 billion business, but would be quite the significant boost for AMDs 5 billion dollar business.
Oh, like they did back in 2009?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Can't really help it if AMD decides to spend it all on Bulldozer and blow now can we?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
This IS the 2009 thing. They merely confirmed the ruling. Intel already paid, no changes.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Riso posted:

This IS the 2009 thing. They merely confirmed the ruling. Intel already paid, no changes.

Not sure if you're just ignoring the context of the conversation or being intentionally confusing, but the payment to AMD I linked to is distinct from the EU ruling.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Oh AMD, this isn't helpful: https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/480034598554845184

An FX CPU with bundled liquid cooler.

This can only mean one thing. They binned a bunch of CPUs like the FX-9590, that run hotter than the surface of the sun.

This isn't moving forwards.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Oh AMD, this isn't helpful: https://twitter.com/amd_roy/status/480034598554845184

An FX CPU with bundled liquid cooler.

This can only mean one thing. They binned a bunch of CPUs like the FX-9590, that run hotter than the surface of the sun.

This isn't moving forwards.

Odds of performing better than a 2500k? Low.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

If they zoom out it's actually an illustration of Calvin pissing on the CPU to cool it down.

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 22, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

system protocol posted:

If they zoom out it's actually an illustration of Calvin pissing on the CPU to cool it down.

I might actually buy it if that was the case.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I am getting stuck on the poor focus on the writing on the box for what seems to be a semi-official tweet.
That is probably the most important detail in the image and they couldn't get it right.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Poor Roy@AMD can only afford to replace his iPhone 3G if you buy that processor. :(

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Varkk posted:

I am getting stuck on the poor focus on the writing on the box for what seems to be a semi-official tweet.
That is probably the most important detail in the image and they couldn't get it right.

That is probably intentional

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Now we know:

It's just a 9590.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Now we know:

It's just a 9590.

It was the most pathetic thing.

vvv Haha, well, a 220W(!) 9590 @ 5GHz is beaten by an old quad Sandy Bridge with a base of 3.1 and turbo to 3.4 in single thread performance

AMD's chips are only competitive with Intel's if you literally ignore all available data, OR you encode video. They're actually pretty decent then, although they still burn through way more power.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 26, 2014

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
While the forums were down, I turned traitor and read /r/hardware for the first time.
Jesus what a mistake - never saw so many nutcase AMD fanboys in my life, arguing incessantly how FX chips are 'on par with i5's' and trying to build Hackintoshes with AMD CPU's.

Yeah guys I wish AMD was competitive again too, but wishing doesn't make it so.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

It was the most pathetic thing.

vvv Haha, well, a 220W(!) 9590 @ 5GHz is beaten by an old quad Sandy Bridge with a base of 3.1 and turbo to 3.4 in single thread performance

AMD's chips are only competitive with Intel's if you literally ignore all available data, OR you encode video. They're actually pretty decent then, although they still burn through way more power.

I wonder where the Kaveri A10-7850k fits on that graph.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Just Another Lurker posted:

I wonder where the Kaveri A10-7850k fits on that graph.

Marginally below the A10-6800K, because it is slightly lower clocked, without any significant architecture changes to increase IPC.

That test of course is set to exaggerate the dependence on CPU (1280×720, low details) and reduce bottleneck on the GPU. The differences will narrow at higher resolutions and graphics settings, of course, as the GPU becomes the bottleneck, but it's only a fig leaf for the real issue that AMD has in single thread performance (and power consumption).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 26, 2014

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Marginally below the A10-6800K, because it is slightly lower clocked, without any significant architecture changes to increase IPC.

That test of course is set to exaggerate the dependence on CPU (1280×720, low details) and reduce bottleneck on the GPU. The differences will narrow at higher resolutions and graphics settings, of course, as the GPU becomes the bottleneck, but it's only a fig leaf for the real issue that AMD has in single thread performance (and power consumption).

Thanks for clarifying that, is there any word on Carrizo or are they quietly forgetting about it?

I'll just mention that i'm not going AMD, only interested in the APU as a concept. :)

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

We won't know until it's out but Carrizo is expected to be a mild bump (Steamroller -> Excavator), not anything that makes AMD competitive again on the high end.

There are rumors that AMD is going to drop the "heavy equipment" architecture (Bulldozer/Piledriver/Steamroller/Excavator) which they began in 2011. Instead, in 2012 they got back Jim Keller (you may remember the success of the original Athlon) and the rumor is that they are going to unleash him to create a new Intel-competitive architecture. Of course there were high hopes for Bulldozer and we all know how that worked out. And AMD no longer owns their own chip fabrication equipment like Intel does. But AMD fanboys should pin their hopes on 2016 (probably late 2016), not any chips coming out before then.

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
About the watercooled FX, I dunno. Remember how everyone was confused in mid 90's when CPU fans became the norm, many processors of that era had "Heatsink/fan required" printed on them because people could not wrap their mind around the concept of active CPU aircooling. Same thing now with watercooling - I know AMD is cornered at the moment but we just might see watercooling become the norm in the next few years.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

About the watercooled FX, I dunno. Remember how everyone was confused in mid 90's when CPU fans became the norm, many processors of that era had "Heatsink/fan required" printed on them because people could not wrap their mind around the concept of active CPU aircooling. Same thing now with watercooling - I know AMD is cornered at the moment but we just might see watercooling become the norm in the next few years.

:what:

I can't tell if this post is desperate or delusional.

If anything, power usage on processors of any mode is going down, and rapidly. Remember that the big drivers of computing these days are servers (where you already need industrial chillers and water cooling won't save you) and portables like tablets and phones (where the only cooling you get is the rest of the device). Intel, nVidia and the ARM groups (and even IBM) aren't going to stop refining their work to these ends and AMD's the only one really going with the 'throw all the electricity at it and see what performance we can get' angle.

Also I doubt that laptop, workstation and server manufacturers (such as they will be in five years) are going to be keen on putting a fail-catastrophic cooling system in standard computers; they're just glad they got a way to make fan and phase-change heatsink failures no longer fail-deadly. And hobbyists and enthusiasts depend on those groups to keep their hobbies going, not the other way around.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I honestly think this is totally incorrect. Lower power is pretty much the all-out focus of the CPU world, with mobile becoming more and more important.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Plus heatpipes were invented, which push watercooling into some pretty specific niches.

NullPtr4Lunch
Jun 22, 2012
AMD's made some strides in the low-power side of things too. I'm pretty happy with my Temash-based netbook and it wasn't long ago that a laptop with an AMD CPU in it meant "Gets absurdly hot and runs for an hour on battery"

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

We won't know until it's out but Carrizo is expected to be a mild bump (Steamroller -> Excavator), not anything that makes AMD competitive again on the high end.
Interesting rumors of an AMD "project Fastforward" which seems aimed at reducing memory bottlenecks. Could this mean your RAM would be bundled on the package with the APU?

Edit: or is it more like it would be on the motherboard or otherwise placed near the processor?

Rastor fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 22, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Rastor posted:

Interesting rumors of an AMD "project Fastforward" which seems aimed at reducing memory bottlenecks. Could this mean your RAM would be bundled on the package with the APU?

Edit: or is it more like it would be on the motherboard or otherwise placed near the processor?

On the package. Stacked DRAM is new but not unheard of - it's been in the pipeline for, I believe, Nvidia Volta ever since that was revealed on Nvidia's roadmap, and Intel's Knight's Landing many-core CPU/coprocessor uses stacked DRAM as well. E: Volta was pushed back, stacked DRAM will be in Pascal, a new uarch between Maxwell and Volta.

However, it's expensive and low-yield, so don't expect it to replace the entirety of system RAM. For example, Knight's Landing has ~16 GB of stacked DRAM to match up with ~60-70 Silvermont Atom cores. Expect it to be used as a last-level cache in smaller amounts instead.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 22, 2014

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Crossposting from the Parts Picking thread:

I was thinking of upgrading my HTPC. Currently I'm looking at a Bay Trail Mini ITX board (J1900). I know that Mullins/Beema is available now, but it looks like those are more targeted at tablet/laptop and that no one is building ITX boards with them yet (at least, that I'm aware of). Is there anything from AMD that is new or upcoming in the very near future that's worth considering?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

clockworx posted:

Crossposting from the Parts Picking thread:

I was thinking of upgrading my HTPC. Currently I'm looking at a Bay Trail Mini ITX board (J1900). I know that Mullins/Beema is available now, but it looks like those are more targeted at tablet/laptop and that no one is building ITX boards with them yet (at least, that I'm aware of). Is there anything from AMD that is new or upcoming in the very near future that's worth considering?
I would suggest that Bay Trail is too slow for this application, several goons have tried it so far with disappointing results. Consider a Haswell-based Pentium or Celeron CPU, if an i3 is out of your pricerange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alereon posted:

I would suggest that Bay Trail is too slow for this application, several goons have tried it so far with disappointing results. Consider a Haswell-based Pentium or Celeron CPU, if an i3 is out of your pricerange.

In my experience, bay trail is more than capable enough to handle media applications.

As for AMD, I believe the general consensus is that there's little reason to ever go with them over Intel except for skeleton builds and it doesn't seem like this will change in the near future.

• Locked thread