Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I don't have time/effort to respond to all of this (just compare benchmark results--I don't know of any GPU app in HPC that is actually flops bound instead of bandwidth bound), but a few things:

Paul MaudDib posted:

There's also a ton of work devoted to getting around the memory size limitation. Multiple GPUs in a system can do DMAs to each other's memory, so you can get up to 48GB of GDDR5 memory per system with 4x K40s. In theory you could also do DMA to something like a PCI-e SSD, which might offer better latency (but lower bandwidth) than main system memory.
PCIe is 12GB/s per direction versus 200GB/s+ onboard, and last time I checked you still need PCIe switches between all of your GPUs in order for general purpose peer-to-peer transfers to actually work. however, lots of things don't work over PCIe (atomics come to mind), and good luck if you start hitting remote GPU memory in anything resembling a performance critical path.

also, peer to peer latency is ~identical to system memory latency, although I haven't measured that in a long time.

quote:

We actually do have tools that let you write large parallel sections easily - OpenMP and OpenACC frameworks for exploiting loop-level parallelism in particular. On a finer grain there's marking calls as tasks and then synchronizing, etc.
oh my god, no. speaking from experience, both of these tools are irrelevant to the problem I'm describing. first of all, OpenMP pretty much sucks for getting anything near peak CPU performance; it's just easy (and it's usually off by a lot vs a good multithreaded implementation, otherwise Intel wouldn't have TBB). are they vaguely decent when you know that an arbitrary section is exceedingly parallel and has sufficient work to fill a given GPU? I guess, they'll generate something not completely awful (I hope). the problem is such hot spots are basically nonexistent at this point. if you can find a section of code where you know you're spending a significant portion of your time and it has lots of parallel work, actually porting such a piece to CUDA or OpenCL or whatever you want to run on KNC/KNL isn't that hard. it may take some effort, sure, but the problem isn't writing the kernel. the problem is that no such sections really exist in most applications. the amount of work available to these functions is usually too small to actually fill a GPU and be fast compared to PCIe overheads, so the porting problem because one of restructuring the entire codebase to get more parallel work available to your compute kernels at once in addition to porting the compute kernels themselves. in other words, for a lot of HPC apps, now you're touching 10M lines of code written by generations of grad students instead of your 1000 line kernel.

quote:

The problem is that tools are much less of an effective solution when there's big overhead to start/stop a co-processor. That's my problem with the OpenACC approach to GPUs - it doesn't make sense to copy it down to the processor, invoke and synchronize the kernel, and then copy it back up to parallelize a single loop, GPU programs really should be running mostly on the GPU rather than shuttling data back and forth all the time. It makes sense for intensive portions that are reasonably separate from the rest of the program, but a generic "send this part of the program to the GPU" isn't really going to be the best solution in a lot of cases.
ahha, now you're getting closer to the root of the problem. last time I measured, the baseline empty kernel latency in CUDA was something like 15 microseconds. in other words, to do absolutely nothing except to send a message to the GPU and wait for a response back that the message was received, you had 45,000 cycles per 3GHz CPU core. this makes getting wins on GPUs difficult, because that quantum determines how much restructuring of your code you have to do--even if your code is twice as fast on a GPU vs a CPU, if your function is less than 30us on a CPU then the GPU isn't faster overall. and that's ignoring PCIe! that latency is even slower than RDMA over InfiniBand or better interconnects, too.

this is the interesting part of APUs or KNL; by skipping PCIe, the quantum required for a speedup should be a lot lower. once it gets low enough to the point that arbitrary function dispatch can be profitable even if the CPU can just wait for the results to come back, then that will be transformative. however, that's probably going to look more like AVX512 or AVX1024 than a dedicated GPU.

also, OpenACC actually tries to keep memory on the GPU as much as possible and isn't doing a naive copy-to/copy-back every time.

quote:

Of course, all such tools do have the problem that their design goal is to make it easy to write/adapt generic code. Writing applications using architecture-specific features can make a pretty big impact in performance. One reasonable approach to this would be to let you compile in OpenCL or CUDA code directly - i.e. you should be able to call __device__ functions that can use the architecture-specific features, perhaps with multiple versions to target different architectures.
I don't know what you mean here--IIRC you can do this in CUDA by checking defines for particular SM versions. The problem is that the architecture-specific stuff that impacts performance is more meta than that; it's usually not a matter of using shuffle on Kepler versus not on Fermi and getting a speedup from that. Look at Tesla to Fermi to Kepler. Tesla's access to shared memory was almost as fast as registers (see the Volkov papers if you're not familiar with that), but on Fermi and the integration of shared memory with L1, shared memory latency became tens of cycles. That led to all sorts of tradeoffs, and Fermi's register-per-thread count was extremely low compared to GT200 and GK110, so that led to a whole new set of tradeoffs and code rewrites for GK110 that further moved toward register blocking and away from shared memory, etc. And these are just NV GPUs. Having something that works reasonably for CPUs (or GPUs with integrated memory) is very different than something that works well for the big GDDR5-equipped GPUs, as the former are going to depend a lot more on cache friendly approaches than the streaming approach favored by large GPUs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just turn the Intel thread into CPU Discussion and this one into GPU Discussion. We're halfway there already!

But please continue, this discussion is neat

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Anyone else feelin' pretty dumb after the last few posts? Heck, I'm almost ready to buy an AMD CPU.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Factory Factory posted:

Anyone else feelin' pretty dumb after the last few posts? Heck, I'm almost ready to buy an AMD CPU.

Definitely some stuff going over my head, but the cool thing is the words stay there and I can go find out what I don't know :D This is basically my idea of an ideal CPU thread - get some serious hardware/software crap going on!

I'm still thinking on the last few posts but I do intend to reply, dunno 'bout you man. I know you've got the knowledge.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

it's pretty straightforward. based on hardware alone, GPUs offer a pretty good value proposition for HPC (lots of BW, lots of FLOPs), but they are hamstrung by two big software issues.

1. it takes a lot of parallel work to fill up a GPU, and GPUs can't timeslice between processes or anything like that when one task isn't offering enough work to completely fill the GPU. this limitation generally doesn't apply to CPU apps, so the problem with porting becomes more about restructuring the rest of your app to get enough work in a single place at a time than porting some kernels.

2. when everything about your platform (GPU type, GPU count, whether GPUs are shared or exclusive, CPU count, PCIe perf, ...) isn't known a priori, writing an application that uses the right processor at the right time becomes really hard. it's partially a language issue and partially a runtime issue. language-wise, the CUDA execution model (later used by OpenCL and DirectCompute) exposes some extremely low-level hardware details and in fact requires users to specify things at that level in order to get good performance. these include exact details of the memory hierarchy, warp widths and warp-synchronous programming, how a kernel traverses over data, etc--the developer has to control all of this to get something that runs fast. since those details change from GPU generation to GPU generation, there's no one ideal GPU kernel. runtime wise, there's no way to figure out how busy a GPU is (other than "is anyone else potentially using this GPU at all"), so picking a particular GPU to use in a multi-GPU system is also really hard. couple that with GPU performance variance between different models or different vendors, and the question rapidly becomes "should I use a GPU at all right now or stick to the CPU."

the reason why GPUs have been pretty successful in HPC thus far is because #2 doesn't really apply--if you're buying 10-40k GPUs, you generally buy the same kind of GPUs and write software for that machine. most of the software improvements in recent years have been focused on #1 (GPU work creation, improved support for concurrent kernels, multi-process support, even interaction with InfiniBand and other NICs), and the rest of the porting problem can get brute forced by investing in enough software engineers. meanwhile, #2 is as critical an issue in desktop and mobile as #1, and there's been very little work to solve that. OpenACC and Thrust come to mind to solve the language issue, but there's still very little research on good runtime schedulers that I'm aware of (the last big thing was StarPU, and that was what, four or five years ago?). over time, #2 will become more important for HPC as there's less of a CUDA monoculture, but I don't have any idea as to what direction that will take right now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What I'm getting from your earlier post is that most multithreaded applications are written with some type of "task-based" parallelization (you said TBB). For those reading along, this basically means that when a work item is received, the processing work is broken into a series of discrete tasks which can be accomplished in parallel. These tasks can then spawn further tasks of their own. There is often a requirement that all child tasks be finished before processing is allowed to continue. This sets up a dependency tree of tasks. So you might have:

Work Item: spawn A, B, wait until A and B are completed, launch C,D
Task A: no children
Task B: spawn D,E, wait until completion
Task C: no children
Task D: no children

In contrast there's also loop based parallelism. In some types of work, you have some big for loop that iterates and processes data items. Loop based parallelism approaches this by spreading the loop iterations between threads, to turn a for loop into data parallelism. So if you have 4 threads and 8 work items, you might get

Thread0: data0, data1
Thread1: data2, data3
Thread2: data4, data5
Thread3: data6, data7

OpenMP and OpenACC are frameworks that handle distributing the iterations between threads.

Professor Science posted:

it's pretty straightforward. based on hardware alone, GPUs offer a pretty good value proposition for HPC (lots of BW, lots of FLOPs), but they are hamstrung by two big software issues.

1. it takes a lot of parallel work to fill up a GPU, and GPUs can't timeslice between processes or anything like that when one task isn't offering enough work to completely fill the GPU. this limitation generally doesn't apply to CPU apps, so the problem with porting becomes more about restructuring the rest of your app to get enough work in a single place at a time than porting some kernels.

GPUs are fundamentally data parallel processors, they operate by lining up a bunch of pieces of data and performing the same sequence of operations on multiple pieces of data at once (a "warp" of threads). Task-based parallelism is not a good approach to SIMD processors, because all threads in a warp must follow all code paths. If you have 4 different code paths for your different tasks, every thread in a warp has to execute all 4 code paths (4 threads will be launched in a warp, 31/32 threads in the warp will be disabled per code path). Or with dynamic parallelism, you need to invoke 4 more kernels (4 32-thread kernels will launch of which 31/32 will idle) and then synchronize.

I think the number of programs that really, truly can only express a low degree of parallelism is pretty low, though. As an example, consider something like video compression - you need to base frame n from the encoding of the prior frame n-1, so in a naive approach you can only process one frame at a time. Even so there's ways to artificially boost that - for example, maybe you can generate some estimate of what the previous frame is going to be (assume that it was encoded perfectly and there's no artifacting, etc) and then propagate an "error frame" forward that represents the difference from your estimate. Or do a search for keyframes, which mark the beginning of independent sequences of the video, and then process the independent sequences in parallel. That's what a lot of the "rewriting algorithms" looks like - finding ways to expose greater degrees of parallelism, instead of just having a single thread that chugs through a serial algorithm.

I think one strategy is to try and generate your own data parallelism as you go. Latency already sucks compared to CPUs, so just embrace it and let a runtime batch up data items/tasks and then process them in parallel when possible. In terms of implementation strategies, I think that would end up looking a lot like the Erlang runtime. You have something that looks like lightweight threads which a runtime or the scheduler batches and then dispatches when a sufficient number of data items are ready (or the processor is under-utilized enough that processing partial batches doesn't matter).

"Lightweight threads on GPU" isn't really an insignificant task, but I don't think it's insurmountable either. GPUs are built to launch vastly more threads than the multiprocessors can actually handle at once, to cover latency. Until the data is ready, the threads block and other warps can execute, Only here the launch condition is "32 successful stores from other threads' shared memory" instead of the current "32 successful reads from global memory". That looks a lot like Erlang actors to me - threads sitting idle until they're needed. I don't think you can make idling threads work with the current scheduler, but it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch, and you could potentially get the same effect using dynamic parallelism and just launching new kernels instead of waking up sleeping threads. That has overhead too of course, but you're amortizing it across more than 1 data item per launch, and kernel launch overhead is much, much lower from the kernel (onboard the GPU) than from the CPU.

And it should be pretty easy on APUs. Which is again why I think they're such an interesting tech - the overhead to invoke the GPU is really low and the CPU can wrangle things into batches that are worthwhile to apply SIMD processing to. Instead of "make this entire program work on GPU" you're now talking about a more manageable target of "wrangle up a workable degree of parallelism with the CPU and then use the SIMD cores". It'll never be worth doing over a half dozen lines of code, but it should be worth using on stuff that is intensive enough to be worth explicitly marking as a task for parallelization.

quote:

2. when everything about your platform (GPU type, GPU count, whether GPUs are shared or exclusive, CPU count, PCIe perf, ...) isn't known a priori, writing an application that uses the right processor at the right time becomes really hard. it's partially a language issue and partially a runtime issue. language-wise, the CUDA execution model (later used by OpenCL and DirectCompute) exposes some extremely low-level hardware details and in fact requires users to specify things at that level in order to get good performance. these include exact details of the memory hierarchy, warp widths and warp-synchronous programming, how a kernel traverses over data, etc--the developer has to control all of this to get something that runs fast. since those details change from GPU generation to GPU generation, there's no one ideal GPU kernel. runtime wise, there's no way to figure out how busy a GPU is (other than "is anyone else potentially using this GPU at all"), so picking a particular GPU to use in a multi-GPU system is also really hard. couple that with GPU performance variance between different models or different vendors, and the question rapidly becomes "should I use a GPU at all right now or stick to the CPU."

Well some of this is real and other stuff isn't.

I generally agree that CUDA and OpenCL expose a lot of low-level mechanics to the programmer, but you don't really need to hand-tune your program to every single device to get good performance. If you're writing low-level C code for your entire program, yeah, your life is going to suck, but the higher-productivity way here is to write your program in terms of template library calls and then let the library authors handle tuning the operations to the various architectures. That's Thrust, Cuda Unbound, CUDPP, and so on, which handle warp-, block-, and device-wide collective operations. All of those are designed to be drop-in solutions that will work on any architecture or block size. Like CPUs, not all portions of your program are really critical, and libraries often cover most of the critical parts fairly well.

As for grid topology, you can write some math which does some rough occupancy calculations at runtime and get a reasonable guesstimate. Here's Thrust's implementation. A wild-rear end guess of 32/64/128/256 threads and enough blocks to saturate the processor usually doesn't produce awful results, and there's a profiler that'll give you real-world tuning on this. The only real hard rule is that you should use a round multiple of your warp size, if you launch a 63 thread block you're cruising for trouble. Powers of 2 are also useful for exponential reduction patterns.

Not quite sure what you mean by "warp synchronization", if you mean thread-fences around shared memory operations, that's roughly equivalent to the trouble caused on CPUs by forgetting to wait for task completion. It's a thing you need to remember, but one you'll notice right away when your 2880-core processor spews obvious race conditions at you. That previous example uses them (__syncthreads()), they're pretty basic.

Other stuff here is not real at all. Warp size has been 32 threads for every CUDA Compute Capability spec so far. Traversing the kernel's grid over data is pretty straightforward, and the fact that blocks can't communicate basically eliminates the possibility that you're doing something not straightforward. If threads need to communicate, they go in a block together. There is definitely an API that lets you get GPU utilization.

quote:

the reason why GPUs have been pretty successful in HPC thus far is because #2 doesn't really apply--if you're buying 10-40k GPUs, you generally buy the same kind of GPUs and write software for that machine. most of the software improvements in recent years have been focused on #1 (GPU work creation, improved support for concurrent kernels, multi-process support, even interaction with InfiniBand and other NICs), and the rest of the porting problem can get brute forced by investing in enough software engineers. meanwhile, #2 is as critical an issue in desktop and mobile as #1, and there's been very little work to solve that. OpenACC and Thrust come to mind to solve the language issue, but there's still very little research on good runtime schedulers that I'm aware of (the last big thing was StarPU, and that was what, four or five years ago?). over time, #2 will become more important for HPC as there's less of a CUDA monoculture, but I don't have any idea as to what direction that will take right now.

Yeah GPUs are not a general purpose computer, yet. They're obviously headed in that direction though, given CPU/GPU SoCs, Dynamic Parallelism, APUs, and so on.

(sorry AMD guys, my experience here is mostly NVIDIA/CUDA :shobon: I know there's an equivalent library to Thrust for OpenCL, it's called Bolt)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 29, 2014

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

it's pretty straightforward. based on hardware alone, GPUs offer a pretty good value proposition for HPC (lots of BW, lots of FLOPs)...

I love the discussion but only made it this far into your post before not understanding anything anymore.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'd also like to throw my hat into the ring of "too many words, but basking in the exchange between professionals like the smarmy superficial gamer I am".

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eggyolk posted:

I love the discussion but only made it this far into your post before not understanding anything anymore.

It's a question of cpu-bound programs and memory bound programs.

GPUs have a shitload of memory bandwidth because of their GDDR5 memory. A K40 has 288 GB/s of bandwidth, compared to <30 GB/s for DDR3 RAM. Memory is accessed through "ports", GDDR5 is a special type which (pretends to) allow two processors to access the same port at once, and the bandwidth is obviously huge. On top of that there's a shitload of engineering to get more out of the bandwidth that's there - for example, threads in the same warp (32 threads) can combine accesses to sequential addresses into a single request which is broadcast to all of them, and so on.

Because they were originally designed to process graphics, they also have various special features which are designed to help that. For example, most memory operates with what's called 1d locality - memory is a flat space divided into pages, meaning accesses near a previously requested address are likely cached and happen much faster. By various tricks, GPUs allow 2d and 3d locality, which helps cache data that is close in 2d/3d space even if that doesn't translate into a nearby 1d address, which helps some problems. And on top of that there's special access modes that can perform extra floating-point calculations (interpolation, etc) for "free". Memory access and some calculations are combined into a single operation which doesn't use core processor cycles, but does have some extra latency.

This is all necessary because GPUs put out a ton of floating point calculations (FLOPs). An i7-4770k puts out around 32 GFLOPs per core (x4), a K40 puts out about 4,290 GFLOPs. It's not a trivial task to feed that much data to the processor, even with that much bandwidth. An implication of this is that GPUs can perform a lot more intensive programs - from what I remember Kepler is up around 64 floating point operations per float of memory access, versus ~8 for a Haswell. On the other hand that's also problematic - it's easy for bandwidth to be the limiting factor, and memory bandwidth hasn't kept up with processor power. There's also not that much per card, and the workarounds aren't great, you're down to ~3-6 GB/s accessing somewhere else.

Another factor here is latency. It does take a while to service all the FP calculations, memory requests, and possible code paths 2880 cores can throw out, even with bandwidth and tricks. So instead of a CPU, where you usually have ~1-2 threads per core, GPU programs often operate on the premise of "fucktons of threads, most of which are blocked". At peak a K40 can keep track of up to about 31k resident threads even if it can only execute 2880 at a time. In most cases multiprocessor shared memory or register pressure will limit that number though.

Most of the architecture and programming paradigm is designed around making that manageable, and you need enough independent data items to keep it busy, so it's not universally applicable. Often it gets used to accelerate specific parts of programs with most of it remaining on the CPU, which seems pretty obviously better addressed with an APU. Or more likely, a Xeon Phi, which is the same-ish thing in that role.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 29, 2014

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

What I'm getting from your earlier post is that most multithreaded applications are written with some type of "task-based" parallelization (you said TBB).
I was just using TBB as an example of something that is better able to get near-peak multithreaded perf than OpenMP (although not as good for CUDA-style workloads as ISPC). anyway, task parallelism isn't really the case in HPC apps. HPC apps are overwhelmingly MPI-only; they use MPI for both inter- and intra-node work distribution. there's no work creation or task-based stuff. generally, such MPI schemes are exceedingly data parallel, but when you're running 8/16/24/more MPI ranks (aka individual processes) per node that has 1/2/4 GPUs, it's hard to get enough work per MPI rank to fill a GPU (and multiple processes can't generally dispatch to a single GPU cleanly, hence the multi-process stuff in CUDA). you can try to smush all of the GPU work from all of the MPI ranks in a node to a single MPI rank and have that basically be your GPU scheduler/runtime, but the latency of doing so is really painful. it also means that every GPU-enabled app has to effectively include its own scheduler and runtime; that's crazy complicated.

quote:

I think one strategy is to try and generate your own data parallelism as you go. Latency already sucks compared to CPUs, so just embrace it and let a runtime batch up data items/tasks and then process them in parallel when possible. In terms of implementation strategies, I think that would end up looking a lot like the Erlang runtime. You have something that looks like lightweight threads which a runtime or the scheduler batches and then dispatches when a sufficient number of data items are ready (or the processor is under-utilized enough that processing partial batches doesn't matter).
Doesn't really work over PCIe, though. I wouldn't be surprised if something vaguely like this ends up a viable strategy for coherent heterogeneous non-power-constrained devices (as in, not mobile).

quote:

That has overhead too of course, but you're amortizing it across more data items per launch, and kernel launch overhead is much, much lower from the kernel (onboard the GPU) than from the CPU.
Let me blow your mind: for a single kernel launch, this is absolutely false. GDDR5 latency sucks a lot. Like a whole, whole lot. GPUs may have 5-6x the memory bandwidth of CPUs, but they do so by having ~15x the memory latency. Reading across PCIe after fiddling a register is better than running a scheduler on a GPU on GDDR5. (If you can batch N kernel launches together at the same time, then yeah, it'll perform better from the GPU.)

quote:

I generally agree that CUDA and OpenCL expose a lot of low-level mechanics to the programmer, but you don't really need to hand-tune your program to every single device to get good performance. If you're writing low-level C code for your entire program, yeah, your life is going to suck, but the higher-productivity way here is to write your program in terms of template library calls and then let the library authors handle tuning the operations to the various architectures. That's Thrust, Cuda Unbound, CUDPP, and so on, which handle warp-, block-, and device-wide collective operations. All of those are designed to be drop-in solutions that will work on any architecture or block size. Like CPUs, not all portions of your program are really critical, and libraries often cover most of the critical parts fairly well.
Libraries don't really cover the critical stuff for large apps; they're not just simple BLAS or LAPACK calls or sorts or simple reductions. They may use a bunch of BLAS and LAPACK calls, but they'll have large matrix operations that are not straightforawrd applications of Thrust/CUDPP/etc. Also all these apps are still FORTRAN, not C++ :v:

quote:

As for grid topology, you can write some math which does some rough occupancy calculations at runtime and get a reasonable guesstimate.
occupancy is generally an irrelevant metric for performance. that's what I meant about register blocking on GK110 versus Fermi--there are these larger scale implicit tradeoffs that are not obvious at all from detecting individual device properties.

quote:

Not quite sure what you mean by "warp synchronization", if you mean thread-fences around shared memory operations, that's roughly equivalent to the trouble caused on CPUs by forgetting to wait for task completion. It's a thing you need to remember, but one you'll notice right away when your 2880-core processor spews obvious race conditions at you. That previous example uses them (__syncthreads()), they're pretty basic.
gently caress, I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain this because I hate it. so warp-synchronous programming is this thing that you'll see in a lot of CUDA kernels that are designed to go very fast. it is based on two ideas:

1. it's good for warps to be out of phase with each other within a block, as that makes it more likely that your various execution units will be in use while memory loads/stores are happening. in other words, __syncthreads() eats performance.
2. if you know the warp size, you know that all of your operations will be completed at the same time, meaning there's no such thing as an intra-warp dependency across an instruction boundary.

so a simple example of this is the same thing you'd use warp shuffle for:

code:
volatile __shared__ double butts[32]; // THIS IS NOT WHAT VOLATILE MEANS, NVIDIA
uint32_t id = threadIdx.x % 32; // get our index within the warp
butts[id] = 1024 - id; // stupid arbitrary value
uint32_t newVal = butts[31 - id];
no __syncthreads() required, so long as you know the warp is 32 threads or larger. if the warp were ever smaller, then your code blows up. CUDPP makes heavy use of this, I think Thrust does too, basically every fast sort/reduction/etc relies on this. you can get arbitrarily complicated with this same pattern, too.

quote:

Other stuff here is not real at all. Warp size has been 32 threads for every CUDA Compute Capability spec so far. Traversing the kernel's grid over data is pretty straightforward, and the fact that blocks can't communicate basically eliminates the possibility that you're doing something not straightforward. If threads need to communicate, they go in a block together. There is definitely an API that lets you get GPU utilization.
Warp size has been 32 on NVIDIA GPUs. It's not necessarily on Intel GPUs (variable warp width toot), and it's not on AMD GPUs IIRC. So that's fine for CUDA, but if you want to have a generic language that can target NV, AMD, Intel, GPUs and CPUs, then you can't expose anything like that. Grids/blocks/explicit memory hierarchy are (I'd argue) entirely the wrong primitives for such a generic language. Also, NVML's utilization metric isn't useful for the problem I'm describing; it is not fine-grained enough.

(I've written a _lot_ of CUDA. also blocks can communicate, I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader)

Professor Science fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 29, 2014

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

(I've written a _lot_ of CUDA. also blocks can communicate, I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader)

Spinlocked infinite-loop kernels? I was under the impression that falls into "seriously undefined behavior".

Let me blow your mind: for a single kernel launch, this is absolutely false. GDDR5 latency sucks a lot. Like a whole, whole lot. GPUs may have 5-6x the memory bandwidth of CPUs, but they do so by having ~15x the memory latency. Reading across PCIe after fiddling a register is better than running a scheduler on a GPU on GDDR5. (If you can batch N kernel launches together at the same time, then yeah, it'll perform better from the GPU.)

For global memory, sure, which is why I specified "shared memory" On-multiprocessor memory has much lower latency. Dynamic parallelism should then avoid this, right? Is there huge latency to dispatch a kernel to another multiprocessor?

I heard you can also play games with sharing local memory?

It would probably be manageable/feasible to run a single runtime engine/task scheduler per device, at least, if there's such a need for tasks and sufficient memory capacity to run multiple nodes per machine. The function calls should be the same, just different parameters (memory coherency would be reduced). I guess that should go in at the hardware/firmware level.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 29, 2014

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Spinlocked infinite-loop kernels? I was under the impression that falls into "seriously undefined behavior".
Eh, you can do more than that. For example, you can build your own work distributor if you really want to. Getting an actual maximal launch to initialize things isn't straightforward, though.

quote:

For global memory, sure, which is why I specified "shared memory" On-multiprocessor memory has much lower latency. Dynamic parallelism should then avoid this, right?

I heard you can also play games with sharing local memory?
If you're sharing the same memory with no PCIe, then CPU->GPU kernel launch latency and GPU->GPU launch latency should be ~identical. Shouldn't be any faster, since you're still fundamentally fiddling the same bits.

Not sure what you mean by sharing local memory.

edit: wait, do you mean launching out of the equivalent of __shared__?

Professor Science fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 29, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

This is incredible, and the level of discourse I wish we could have on every subject, holy poo poo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

edit: wait, do you mean launching out of the equivalent of __shared__?

quote:

A child grid inherits from the parent grid certain attributes and limits, such as the L1 cache / shared memory configuration and stack size
http://devblogs.nvidia.com/parallelforall/cuda-dynamic-parallelism-api-principles/

So - basically you have some program with an update loop, with high thread divergence - say you have like 4/32 threads per warp that need to process something (making 32/32 threads sit through long latency). Or some other task/request/query that sporadically or asynchronously occurs but takes some effort to process.

First you do a prefix-sum+atomicAdd+write or something to write the parameters for each task found (for each multiprocessor) into shared memory, with return pointers, etc. Iterate one update loop for all nodes of the problem, or until you get enough tasks to be worth dispatching early, then process all the tasks. Then process the next update loop and so on. Assuming this task selection process is free, we've increased our active thread count during this intensive task from 4/32 to 32/32 threads per warp, which is a significant increase in processing power, and we're not making every data item sit through the latency for the 12% that are processed.

If you launch a kernel from there to pick off the parameters and do the tasks, it shouldn't add much additional access latency over the update loop calling the function directly (just a couple round-trips from shared memory, which is quick), but it should decrease divergence because most of the threads are doing things (as opposed to being masked to disabled), right?

Implement that with a lightweight threading system to process the tasks. Do warp scheduling that allows cross-block/cross-grid processing of reasonably large tasks based on function call scheduling, or instruction address, or something like that. That's basically the "task parallel" approach on GPU, you're not going to get single data items to process efficiently.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 29, 2014

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
maybe I'm not following you, but either you can't assume that the same SM is going to run the new kernel (%smid in PTX is effectively volatile, after all) or you don't need dynamic parallelism.

also you should get plat or some other easy means of contact.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
One time I programmed a method for taking screenshots at high speed by installing FRAPS, setting up a small RAM drive, and having a while loop mash the screenshot hotkey. I am totally qualified to contribute meaningfully to this conversation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

maybe I'm not following you, but either you can't assume that the same SM is going to run the new kernel (%smid in PTX is effectively volatile, after all) or you don't need dynamic parallelism.

Yeah I guess that's wrong, dynamic parallelism kernels can't be passed shared or local memory. You could do block-wide task processing without DP I guess.

The ability of a kernel to be instantiated on a single SM probably would be really useful though. Like being able to lock a stream's processor affinity or something like that. That plus the ability for the hardware scheduler to block until incoming memory writes are completed (as opposed to outgoing memory requests) would basically be a lightweight task/threading system, which is what I've been going at.

And again this is all way easier assuming you have a real CPU to handle data wrangling on, so APUs should be better at tasks.

quote:

also you should get plat or some other easy means of contact.

AIM's good. In the profile. Or

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 29, 2014

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's a question of cpu-bound programs and memory bound programs.

This makes a lot more sense. Thank you. It's also makes me wonder why people speak about the shift from DDR3 to DDR4 as a relatively unimportant or inconsequential step. If memory bandwidth is such a limiting factor as you say, then while isn't there more development on the thinnest point of the bottleneck?

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000
Failed Sega Accessory Ahoy!

I'm more familiar with OpenCL than CUDA, but the paper on StreamScan discusses a way to do this on Nvidia GPUs. See Section 3.2. They later used this in a different paper.

Generally, you can communicate through global memory by writing/reading from shared regions of memory. One major difficulty is that you can't guarantee that two workgroups that you expect to communicate will ever be scheduled at the same time (so spin locks are likely to deadlock the kernel). Another is that the caches used by the workgroups are not guaranteed to be coherent (meaning a spin lock may never see the updated variable, again deadlocking the kernel).

The first problem may happen because your workgroups may legally be scheduled in any order the hardware pleases. As such, if you expect workgroup 2 to receive a value from workgorup 1: workgroup 2 may start spinning waiting for the value, but workgroup 1 can't be scheduled because workgroup 2 is in the way.

You can fix the first problem by carefully assigning a custom workgroup ordering ID based on the order that workgroups that are scheduled try to access some global structure -- an ugly hack, but it works.

The latter problem happens because the write from the first thread may go out to DRAM, but the spinning thread may have the old value in its L1. It keeps hammering on that value, so it's never evicted. It never sees the updated value from DRAM and continues on for eternity. The source code for the second paper has this problem. It works on modern Nvidia GPUs and older AMD GPUs, but deadlocks on AMD GCN parts.

You can replace both the write and the spin-read with atomics, which should push those writes and reads out to the coherence point (the shared L2 in AMD GPUs). You'll also need to be careful with atomicity here, because atomic operations are not ordering fences in a workgroup -- you would need to put explicit global memory barrier in place to make sure all of the threads in a workgroup are done with these atomic writes before you move on.

Adding required coherence in the HSA specification and OpenCL 2.0 will help this mess. (A good presentation on this.)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Menacer posted:

You can replace both the write and the spin-read with atomics, which should push those writes and reads out to the coherence point (the shared L2 in AMD GPUs). You'll also need to be careful with atomicity here, because atomic operations are not ordering fences in a workgroup -- you would need to put explicit global memory barrier in place to make sure all of the threads in a workgroup are done with these atomic writes before you move on.

It's worth noting that atomics completely bypass the caching system in CUDA (obv not AMD). They are explicitly operations that are guaranteed happen to their target memory before the call unblocks. With all the costs and/or implied failure that that entails.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 29, 2014

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000

eggyolk posted:

This makes a lot more sense. Thank you. It's also makes me wonder why people speak about the shift from DDR3 to DDR4 as a relatively unimportant or inconsequential step. If memory bandwidth is such a limiting factor as you say, then while isn't there more development on the thinnest point of the bottleneck?
DDR4 is important for some applications. Server, high-performance computing, and graphics applications (such as APUs) will use this bandwidth. General single-threaded applications (or collections of general single-threaded applications) will have a hard time consistently utilizing the large amounts of bandwidth available in multi-channel DDR4 systems.

John McCalpin has an excellent series of blog posts detailing how difficult it can be to tweak a CPU application to use as much bandwidth as possible: 1, 2, 3, 4.

An image summing up the work it takes to squeeze bandwidth out of a single thread:

A core's ability to effectively use more bandwidth also depends on a lot of microarchitectural factors. This means it can take new processor generations before some bandwidth thresholds can be crossed. If you can write a program that uses multiple cores, it's easier to push up against bandwidth limits. However, core counts aren't skyrocketing in consumer parts, and many programs are still weakly parallel.

This all combines to mean that, while DDR4 is important and necessary in some fields, you likely won't see profound performance improvements in your day-to-day applications.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

eggyolk posted:

I finally have something useful to add:

There has been quite a bit of development! But rather than improving the DRAM bus, it's been more in the direction of using predictive prefetch and lots of cache, so that a significant percentage of accesses out to DRAM are in progress or finished by the time they are needed. These techniques and the underlying hardware, which are iterated on with each uarch generation, are combined with multiple levels of cache. Cache memory is closer to the chip than DRAM and so can be accessed with less latency and higher bandwidth, with the trade-off that the closer you get, the less room there is for large amounts of memory.

It's pretty much standard these days for the cache levels to be coherent. Nutshell: if one core is operating on an area of memory, another core will be able to see those changes in real time. This description is probably an oversimplifcation, so have a giant Wiki article I guess.

For example of progress in cache, here's a table I ganked from AnandTech about the iterations on cache size, latency, and bandwidth across three Intel uarchs:

These are only per-core numbers. L3 cache is shared among the cores and the entire chip. For a fully decked-out quad-core die, there are 64 KB of L1 cache per core, 2 MB of L2 per core, up to 8 MB of L3 chipwide, and an optional 128 MB L4 (Crystalwell).

Most CPUs and APUs above the netbook/nettop level have three levels of cache before the memory controller ever has to be involved. Three-level cache was a supercomputing feature in 1995. In 2003, on-chip L3 cache was an esoteric server feature on Intel's Itanium (as well as optional off-chip L4). In 2008, AMD's Phenom II made L3 cache a high-end desktop feature. Now it's pretty much a given in a notebook or larger CPU, and it's becoming more common in ultra-mobile parts (especially ones with high-performance GPUs).

Some desktop/notebook Intel chips using integrated graphics implement an L4 cache, Crystalwell - an off-chip SRAM cache that's only 128 MB, but it runs super fast (compared to DRAM) and is something like half the latency of going all the way out to DRAM. In server chips, right this instant it's mostly just enormous L3 cache.

The Next Big Thing in avoiding RAM access is using stacked DRAM technology to put a shitload of memory right next to the CPU on the same package, used as last-level cache. Nvidia has it on the roadmap a few GPU uarchs down, Intel is already doing it with their current-gen many-core Knight's Whatsit (up to 16 GB of L4 cache for like 70 Silvermont Atom cores).

So it is getting worked on! But rather than simply making the bottleneck wider, development is going into avoiding reaching a bottleneck state in the first place.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 29, 2014

Menacer
Nov 25, 2000

Factory Factory posted:

Nvidia has it on the roadmap a few GPU uarchs down, Intel is already doing it with their current-gen many-core Knight's Whatsit (up to 16 GB of L4 cache for like 70 Silvermont Atom cores).
Some notes on this:

In the spirit of this thread's ostensible subject, it's likely that AMD is working on this too. They haven't announced any products, though.

Knight's Landing will have mode bits to decide how the interposed DRAM will be used. You can choose between using it as a very large hardware-controlled cache, a software-controlled scratchpad, or a combination. This is likely because different applications in the HPC community reuse data in different ways, and software control over what values are "close" can result in much better performance for some important apps they're targeting. Many applications don't want to think about memory at all, however, and would like to default to hardware-managed caching.

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In response to last page posts calling for new threads, I think it would be appropriate to create 4 AMD threads, each with 2 topics being discussed within.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bloody Antlers posted:

In response to last page posts calling for new threads, I think it would be appropriate to create 4 AMD threads, each with 2 topics being discussed within.

Restrict each thread to say 3 posts per day as well.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Right AMD, put your only worthwhile Radeon brand you and slap it onto SSDs made by the most notorious PC-associated brand (OCZ) you can find. Did someone in AMD went mad or something?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Palladium posted:

Right AMD, put your only worthwhile Radeon brand you and slap it onto SSDs made by the most notorious PC-associated brand (OCZ) you can find. Did someone in AMD went mad or something?

I think OCZ actually has positive brand recognition among most people who buy aftermarket SSDs. The power of good marketing!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Which is hilarious considering the failure rate of SandForce based controllers.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

orange juche posted:

Which is hilarious considering the failure rate of SandForce based controllers.
They were always pretty good compared to competing controllers, they just got a bad rap because of all the really awful drives with garbage NAND, particularly those wold with RAISE error correction disabled. Compare the failure rates on OCZ's Sandforce drives to their similar drives with non-Sandforce controllers.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.

New CPUs, same 8 cores and clock speed but now at 95W TDP

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

calusari posted:

New CPUs, same 8 cores and clock speed but now at 95W TDP

Looks like they're competitive with i5's in certain media creation benchmarks. And not much else.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
This is probably the wrong thread, but I'm not sure that there is a right thread for this question, and the conversation recently has become highly technical, so I'm hoping some eyeballs here can answer this question.

How much do we know about the 64b Denver SoC? From a high level, does it sound a little bit like what intel does with x86 on their CPU's, [x86 being CISC, but internally the instructions are broken down into smaller bits and micro-ops].

ARM's ISA is already RISC so I'm not sure that the two ideas are comparable, but I'm just looking for someone to explain in a way I can understand what exactly nvidia thinks it's gaining by doing this transmetaish implementation of the ARM v8 ISA.

My best guess from reading about the Denver 64b SoC is that they are moving to an in order execution pipeline and that they are saving more power that way (over OoO) than they are spending on the extra translation step done internally, and that this results in overall better perf/watt.

But that just seems impossible to me, like cold fusion.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I've got what feels like an ancient Phenom II 840 on an AM3+ board that was purchased before Bulldozer. I'm looking at upgrading just the processor to help stretch out the life of the computer.

Would an FX-8350 give me anything extra or would I be wasting money? My only alternative is an 8320 or a 9590 (and I am not buying that one). If there isn't any benefit I am just going keep going with this until whatever comes out after the 14nm process from Intel.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Lord Windy posted:

I've got what feels like an ancient Phenom II 840

What do you run on your computer? Right now the most rational answer is to drop your AM3+ mobo like a rock and get a Pentium G3258 CPU+board combo from Micro Center and overclock the daylights out of it. Immediate boost to most things most people do, plus it won't even cost as much as an octo-"core" FX-anything.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

What do you run on your computer? Right now the most rational answer is to drop your AM3+ mobo like a rock and get a Pentium G3258 CPU+board combo from Micro Center and overclock the daylights out of it. Immediate boost to most things most people do, plus it won't even cost as much as an octo-"core" FX-anything.

I mostly just play games on it. I have a 560ti Video Card, 16GB of RAM and a 7200RPM HDD. I know a Solid State Drive would get me better performance, but my issue is more that CK2 and co are starting to get slower and I think that is more a CPU thing than SSD.

I live in Australia so I don't have a Micro Centre. I can get a G3258 for $78 and the cheapest Haswell Refresh Board is an Asrock H97M for $101. Though Umart is a clusterfuck and I don't know what the hell their motherboard section means.

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/index.phtml?bid=2
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

These two are the companies I would be buying from.

EDIT:

I have a 'you-beaut' laptop that is faster than my Gaming PC, but it's a Mac and the video card is poo poo. I mostly just remote in to my main PC to play those games so the laptop doesn't run at 90 degrees. I mostly use it to program and stuff.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 4, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Lord Windy posted:

I've got what feels like an ancient Phenom II 840 on an AM3+ board that was purchased before Bulldozer. I'm looking at upgrading just the processor to help stretch out the life of the computer.

Would an FX-8350 give me anything extra or would I be wasting money? My only alternative is an 8320 or a 9590 (and I am not buying that one). If there isn't any benefit I am just going keep going with this until whatever comes out after the 14nm process from Intel.

buying another AMD processor would be a waste of money. As has been mentioned you can grab that $70 overclocking pentium, and a cheap z97 mobo and blow the socks off any AMD CPU out there, at least in gaming and other not hugely threaded workloads.

Note that you'd need a z97 mobo, not H97. This is your cheapest option:

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=376&bid=2&sid=197452

(good god umart needs to fire whoever designed their website)

Also note that the value in that Pentium relies on being able to overclock the poo poo out of it; if you aren't willing to overclock you should get an H97 board instead and a core i3.

You really should also try to get an SSD at some point.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 4, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Please follow the poster above, he is saying what I want to say but better and more relevant to you

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

The Lord Bude posted:

buying another AMD processor would be a waste of money. As has been mentioned you can grab that $70 overclocking pentium, and a cheap z97 mobo and blow the socks off any AMD CPU out there, at least in gaming and other not hugely threaded workloads.

Note that you'd need a z97 mobo, not H97. This is your cheapest option:

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=376&bid=2&sid=197452

(good god umart needs to fire whoever designed their website)

Also note that the value in that Pentium relies on being able to overclock the poo poo out of it; if you aren't willing to overclock you should get an H97 board instead and a core i3.

You really should also try to get an SSD at some point.

Haven't a lot, if not all the major motherboard manufacturers released BIOS updates recently that allowed overclocking on the cheaper platforms? I see a lot of combo deals on like Newegg that pair a Pentium Anniversary Edition with an H81 motherboard for example and the reviews indicate that overclocking works fine with that Pentium. My understanding is support is limited to Haswell Refresh and the Pentium in these situations, but you can save even more money without having to buy a Z97 mobo. I usually see the Pentium + mobo paired for 75-80 dollars.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Civil posted:

Looks like they're competitive with i5's in certain media creation benchmarks. And not much else.

I secretly enjoy seeing the Phenom X6 post higher numbers than any other AMD CPU in the last 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I was about to ask "how do you know this will be better" but even in just GHz, the mobo Bude suggested beats the poo poo out of practically everything AMD offers.

Last question, where do I go to learn more about overclocking?

Edit:

I know Ghz != speed, but I think I am safe in thinking that Intel Ghz > AMD Ghz

• Locked thread