Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have a phenom IIx6, and while I don't regret buying it back when I did, I could never justify buying AMD now. It's sad that as far as I can tell, AMD don't even plan on releasing a successor to their last generation FX line this year, which now places them years behind intel - Have they given up on non budget stuff altogether? It sure seems like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Chuu posted:

Newegg has the FX-9590 as a shell shocker deal for $260 today, which ties right into that. I'd love the novelty of playing around with a 220W CPU but $260 is just too high.

I wonder how many of these sold anywhere near retail price.

I remember when they first came out and were selling for a thousand dollars... You had to be a special kind of crazy to buy one then considering the amount of manual tweaking required to even make one work at it's advertised clock speed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Ehh I'm a not-so-proud owner of an FX-8350. It was the fastest FX before 9370 came along and I'm glad I haven't bought this loving incinerator because 4Ghz 8350 already runs plenty hot (80C at full load, with aftermarket cooling.) I simply don't see how 9370 could operate as intended (4.7 Ghz? Are you loving serious?) and do they expect it to be cooled with a stock cooler or does AMD ship that CPU without a cooler, like Intel's LGA2011 CPUs?

I owned a LGA2011 system back in the day, and while it was a complete dog at least it gave some performance.
FX-8320 is the only FX I'd recommend to people, it runs really well with stock cooling and you can easily squeeze a good 600Mhz OC out of it. Other processors in FX family are simply too lacklustre or HOT to recommend to anyone, really.

edit: I just dusted off my 8350 because the chip runs incredibly close to its thermal limits and a 5% reduction in cooling efficiency sends it over the edge. So not only the processor is a dog, it's a high-maintenance dog too. Should have stuck with my old 8320.

Not only is it sold without a cooler but the specifications list liquid cooling as a requirement.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Numbers here: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/175190-amd-beats-earnings-estimates-thanks-to-console-sales-but-apu-outlook-is-bleak

Basically AMD is being driven out of the desktop market. Desktops are declining overall but Intel has suffered a glancing blow while AMD took it on the chin. They're riding pretty heavily on console sales (both the PS4 and the Xbox One use AMD CPUs) as well as their GPU business, which is thriving thanks to Bitcoin and altcoins. They're still in a somewhat unstable position but they're not bleeding out anymore at least.

It's worth noting that both the PS4 and the Xbox One are built around Jaguar, AMD's low-power architecture, rather than Piledriver.

as far as I can tell, none of their roadmaps even mention a successor to the FX stuff, at least not this year or the next.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

El Scotch posted:

Pure speculation makes me think the successor to FX is a 'nice thing to do when we can' and not a priority. If their APU direction pays off in a big way it might give them the floating resources to put people back on the FX project.

I find myself wondering if history will repeat itself, and have AMD do what Intel did years ago: abandon their FX line in favor of improving their APUs to the point that they can get high end performance from them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Does this mean they might suddenly pull a non poo poo processor out of their arse?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I actually bought a Phenom IIx6 1090t when it came out (I wasn't educated by the goon university at the time) but I don't think that was too unreasonable - at the time it had only slightly lower single threaded performance compared to 1st gen socket 1156 stuff from what I could tell at the time (maybe I was wrong). Then they went backwards with bulldozer, and it's taken them 4 years to catch back up to that cpu I bought back in 2010, and meanwhile intel has made substantial progress.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Palladium posted:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/62166-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz-17.html

A chip that barely beats a 4770K (nevermind the 4790K) in best case benchmarks, throttles at stock with a NH-U12S and also comes with a broken temp sensor? On a ~$230 motherboard?...What a steal at $380!

They were using a u14s, so it's even worse. But hey, at least they aren't trying to sell it for $1k anymore.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

AMD CPUs are so bad we've started discussing Intel CPUs in the thread instead.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

Be the change you want to see, Mr. Bude!

Though I do wonder as well if the thread still has a raison d`etre, now that it is no longer AMD vs. Intel in the consumer desktop space that the companies are doing (that we care about). The GPU thread hosts plenty of talk about both, is AMD a going concern in SH/SC mindspace enough that we couldn't just collapse the two tentpoles and put up one umbrella CPU thread to cover all CPU stuff? ASIC devs, FPGA programmers, chip designers of all kinds, software devs - this is by no means a poor environment when it comes to the potential for discussion, it just seems like at the end of the day, people are going to come back to the bottom line because comparatively fewer members are as interested in what makes these companies' stock tickers move versus what kinda part they should put in their machine. This and the Intel thread both get some good periods, but it all feels weirdly nonspecific considering the names. I actually think we could be more topical and talk about stuff that matters more if we just had a single CPU-stuff thread - as it is, we discuss brands more than product lines at times and that is both important from the perspective of the market gestalt, but also weirdly irrelevant now that "computers? Intel!" and that's pretty much that for folks who aren't involved in more sophisticated stuff.

The parts picking thread twists that knife appropriately hard - don't buy AMD unless you're a sucker, we all know that, and every thread title update has been some flavor of badly wearing hopefulness as we sort of look on aghast as AMD's whole CPU side of things apparently goes to poo poo and there is gently caress all that they can do about it.

You misunderstand me. I'm not complaining about Intel talk, I just thought it was a hilarious opportunity for a quip at AMD's expense.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bloody Antlers posted:

In response to last page posts calling for new threads, I think it would be appropriate to create 4 AMD threads, each with 2 topics being discussed within.

Restrict each thread to say 3 posts per day as well.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lord Windy posted:

I've got what feels like an ancient Phenom II 840 on an AM3+ board that was purchased before Bulldozer. I'm looking at upgrading just the processor to help stretch out the life of the computer.

Would an FX-8350 give me anything extra or would I be wasting money? My only alternative is an 8320 or a 9590 (and I am not buying that one). If there isn't any benefit I am just going keep going with this until whatever comes out after the 14nm process from Intel.

buying another AMD processor would be a waste of money. As has been mentioned you can grab that $70 overclocking pentium, and a cheap z97 mobo and blow the socks off any AMD CPU out there, at least in gaming and other not hugely threaded workloads.

Note that you'd need a z97 mobo, not H97. This is your cheapest option:

http://www.umart.com.au/umart1/pro/Products-details.phtml?id=10&id2=376&bid=2&sid=197452

(good god umart needs to fire whoever designed their website)

Also note that the value in that Pentium relies on being able to overclock the poo poo out of it; if you aren't willing to overclock you should get an H97 board instead and a core i3.

You really should also try to get an SSD at some point.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 4, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Haven't a lot, if not all the major motherboard manufacturers released BIOS updates recently that allowed overclocking on the cheaper platforms? I see a lot of combo deals on like Newegg that pair a Pentium Anniversary Edition with an H81 motherboard for example and the reviews indicate that overclocking works fine with that Pentium. My understanding is support is limited to Haswell Refresh and the Pentium in these situations, but you can save even more money without having to buy a Z97 mobo. I usually see the Pentium + mobo paired for 75-80 dollars.

Intel doesn't allow it, but yes some motherboard manufacturers have figured out how to get around that. I tend to view it as a half arsed hack though, and I've always viewed it dubiously.

Lord Windy posted:

I was about to ask "how do you know this will be better" but even in just GHz, the mobo Bude suggested beats the poo poo out of practically everything AMD offers.

Last question, where do I go to learn more about overclocking?

Edit:

I know Ghz != speed, but I think I am safe in thinking that Intel Ghz > AMD Ghz

Pretty much. We have an overclocking thread; I'm sure you can get the information you need there.

Edit: to clarify; that is the cheapest z97 motherboard you can get. It cuts corners on just about everything that isn't related to the overclocking, such as audio, and the quality of the NIC. If you could afford to step it up a notch to something like a z97m-pro4 or an MSI z97m-G43 you probably should, especially since we don't have special deals in Australia that pair one of those pentiums with an Anniversary motherboard for extra cheap.

Second edit: looks like the z97m-pro4 is only $6 more, definitely get it, since it's a major step up. the Anniversary is grossly overpriced in Australia, it needs to be much cheaper than it is in order to make any kind of sense purchasing it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 4, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I secretly enjoy seeing the Phenom X6 post higher numbers than any other AMD CPU in the last 4 years.

I used to have one of those :3:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Over in the parts picking thread I'm waffling between a Celeron J1900 and an AMD APU of some kind for a low power HTPC/minimal gaming system. The only game I'm likely to play any of is Portal 2. I get pretty decent performance out of it, at least in a brief test, on my 8W 1 GHz A6-1450 netbook, but I'm not sure how that'll translate to a 1080p TV. I'm assuming a newer 10W 2 GHz Intel will outperform it CPU-wise, and I have a Radeon 6550 that is more than enough to carry the GPU end of things should it be necessary.

But if I go with an AMD, what would be a good starting point for not much more than the $70 all-in-one ASRock Q1900M for the Intel? It won't be powered on all the time so power use isn't as big a concern, although I do like the passive cooling on the Celeron. But if I can get significantly better performance from an AMD for not much more money, I think I might, especially if I can get an all-in-one and free up the possibility of mITX since I still need to fit in a capture card.

your starting point would be Kabini:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7933/the-desktop-kabini-review-part-1-athlon-5350-am1
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8067/amd-am1-kabini-part-2-athlon-53505150-and-sempron-38502650-tested

These are kinda like what intel is doing with the J1900.

further up would be the regular socket FM2 APUs.

Here is the J1900 to compare to:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8595/the-battle-of-bay-trail-d-gigabyte-j1900n-d3v-asus-j1900i-c-review

Remember that the GPU needs of 1080p are vastly higher than a netbook screen that is probably 1366x768 at most.

Honestly, having taken a closer look at the performance, I think you should stick with a regular Haswell celeron, and a cheap motherboard, and throw in your old GPU. Failing that, I think the J1900 + your old GPU.

Kaveri APUs might be decent, but that would cost more since the APUs themselves are more expensive than Celerons, and given that you already have a GPU to reuse, the integrated GPU would have to outperform the 6550 to be worthwhile - you'd need to research it.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 18, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I let my girls leave on a 13W CFL in the hallway all night as a sort of night light; I'm not going to sweat something like that for a system that'll be on a couple of hours a day at most.

However, the 6550 does quite well in this game at 1080p already, so if the CPU power is equal I'm still favoring the Celeron. Part of me does wonder about longevity, I admit, and I loved the challenge of extreme overclocking the E2160. I nearly reached 3 GHz with a crazy overvolt, although for everyday use I backed it off to a more reasonable 50% overclock, and I obviously still like talking about it to this day, so the G3258 still holds some vanity/futureproofing appeal (as it were).

Something that occurred to me, and maybe I should take this back to the parts picking or overclocking thread, is actually undervolting a G3258 for better temps in a smallish case. I'm assuming that is still an option on overclocking motherboards.

Just run the 3258 at stock...temperatures aren't an issue. Or get one of the cheaper non overclocking pentiums.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lord Dudeguy posted:

How does it compare on IGP performance? That's the key to this whole puzzle, and why I haven't switched to Intel. I'm running my APU in a low-clearance, 150w chassis and 720p gaming is a must.

You can buy a decent case and a decent PSU for about $80, then add in a discreet GPU when you can.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dragon age inquisition is another. These are devs deliberately blocking games from running on dual cores for no apparent reason.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

wipeout posted:

Are dragon age and da:I well optimised, or bad ports generally?

The first dragon age is one of the best games ever made, and it is excellent on PC. Dragon age inquisition is still a decent game, but suffers from being designed with almost no consideration given to PC gamer habits, and also some EA executive deciding that since skyrim was so successful; all RPGs should be more like skyrim.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

While I will mostly agree with your statements, I think you're casting DA:O in too-kind a light. It still has a memory leak that remains unpatched to this day. If I didn't have 16 GB of RAM, (And I only have it because I managed to snag it when it was still cheap, before the SEA floods wrecked the DRAM and hard drive factories down there, and the market shifted away from DRAM to NAND.) I'd have taken much longer to finish that game each time, and even then, things get kind of stupid when you're staring at a loading screen for minutes at when it didn't take nearly that long when you first started the game.

I've honestly never experienced this problem. I also have 16gb of RAM though. I have a number of issues with DA:I but it was better than dragon age 2 (which I hated). I'd give DA:I maybe 7 out of 10, where Dragon Age Origins is a 10 out of 10.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ars technica is reporting it as well. Basically from here on out Microsoft will only support a new CPU on whatever the most recent version of windows is when that CPU comes out. It seems to me to be aimed more at preventing people from putting old versions of windows on new PCs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

fishmech posted:

Er, you realize they already never provided support for CPUs substantially newer than an OS was intended for? There's almost never been updated setup environments made available for an already existing OS. I'm not sure how you're expecting such support to even exist, beyond "if the new CPU is compatible with a CPU from when the old version came out, the software runs", which is how it already works!

You can still run MS-DOS 6 and Windows 3.1 on a brand spanking new computer if you really want. You'll only be able to use one of the cores, either 256 or 512 MB of its RAM, and so on, but it'll "work".

The point according to the article is that they are going to explicitly stop providing updates, including most security updates to people with newer CPUs even if the operating system is still within its support period.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

Actually would be pretty cool and good to see AMD start building boards to this specification, as a choice between a J1900 and an 5350 would have been a nobrainer, or an FX8800P with a low profile HSF. Since low end is AMDs thing right now they should honestly be pushing these super compact, standardized, modular platforms with Excavator/+ and Zen. At least it would be good for thier OEMs (no one buying the mobile platforms? Make embedded mini-itx boards!)

I think the options are an A10-7860K for now (using the M350 case), accepting a slightly bigger, much "less" VESA compatible case such as the M300 and getting an Intel CPU + cheap GPU (more expensive), or waiting for Stoney/Bristol to appear in desktop space with AM4 and DDR4 to make APUs really viable. Intel is never really going to get off their rear end and make a competitive iGPU platform for desktop.

I'm not so sure about that - notebooks and tablets are the future (and the present honestly) as far as the bulk of computer sales go; and discreet graphics cards in laptops have always meant major sacrifices in battery and portability - the demand is there for powerful iGPUs. I'm sure Apple in particular would be very keen to have access to such a thing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That astonishes me, frankly.

I would never actually buy or use a Lenovo brand, Thinkpad design language be damned. Sure, it's supposed to be the ultimate working professional's laptop, but I wouldn't trust a Chinese company to not have a low-level backdoor spying on me.

I used to be pro lenovo, but now that they've been caught out twice bundling malware onto their laptops I'd never buy another one. It's a shame because they were the only ones left in Australia at least that offered substantial customization on their laptops. If I had to buy a laptop now I'd get a Mac.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

People who go whole hog with custom loops are nuts, but just buying an off the shelf CLC is completely safe these days and no more complicated to install than a regular air cooler - possibly easier. I've personally never found the noise:cooling ratio worth it but they can help a lot in oddly sized cases.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

I kind of see it in another way - small CLCs are rarely much better in performance terms than big-arse air coolers, so are rarely worth it; but a custom loop can give you performance possibilities on another level if you're willing to go for it.
Also, if CLC pumps or tubing fail, they are not designed to be repaired, so that's a huge inconvenience which an air cooler or a custom loop doesn't have - you just replace the part you need to.
All that said, you've made a good point about oddly shaped cases these days which are clearly designed with a CLC in mind, but I wouldn't be going out of my way to recommend those.

Well they aren't my cup of tea either, I got myself a bitfenix prodigy and stuck a big air cooler in it. I just think you've got to be really, really keen to want to put together a custom loop, and it's certainly not something I could ever be bothered doing.

Truga posted:

:same:
the loudest part by a mile in my pc are the dumb spinning platters. I'll get rid of them once massive SSDs get cheap, and then, silence.

I've been 100% certified spinning disc free since early 2014, and it's been glorious. My 1TB SSD was the second most expensive thing in my PC, after my GPU, but they are half the price now - you can get a nice intel or samsung 1TB SSD for as little as $400 in Australia, or $300 in the states.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 19, 2016

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've actually had the file association thing happen - whenever I do a major update (the ones that are essentially in place OS upgrades, not just patches. They also tend to reenable all the advertising crap in the start menu, and re download all the junk apps and games that I delete as soon as I've installed windows. Basically windows is taking a leaf out of the old school android handbook at this point, and I'm not at all amused.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

What are the implications of that in terms of real world home usage? (Mainly video games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If we're going to move to a single thread for intel and AMD I feel it's only right that there be a hyperthreading joke in the thread title.

• Locked thread