Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

frumpsnake posted:

Please. The A7N8X Deluxe version was the board to have.
I still have mine chugging away as a spare ssh-tunnel server. Actually, I had two copies of the board, and the both always give me verbal 'system failed memory test' warnings (normally at some inappropriately loud volume. I wonder why that's a BIOS feature that never caught on...). But the system was never unstable, so I never bothered returning it for a third board.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

teagone posted:

CPU is an Athlon 64 X2 3800+
My main Linux box is an X2 5000+ so I'm only just behind you. It'll get retired when I finally replace my II X4 635 windows box that is woefully underpowered for Lightroom.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

If you look at the top500 list, these days it's pretty much all Intel x86_64 followed by POWER (4.5%), AMD and SPARC (1.5%). Even if POWER is theoretically better, I think most people have ended up better off spending their money on more mainstream Intel gear. In the domain I've used a HPC, Computation Fluid Dynamics, a lot of the COTS programs only come in x86 versions.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 9, 2017

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

For what it's worth (nothing?), I just ran the Blender benchmark on a dual Xeon X5680 3.33ghz / 48GB workstation (2011 Westmere) . Getting a time in the 27s, so 2s slower than the Ryzen machine with 50% extra cores but 0.12ghz deficit. (Disclaimer: I was using Blender v2.71 not 2.78a) 32.5s if I limit to a matching 16 threads.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 17, 2017

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The X5680 is a 6c/12t.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What happens if you change the processor affinity for the blender benchmark to match 8c16t?
If I set affinity to 16t, about 43s.

I think the conclusion is it's definitely time to request some new shinier workstations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

SlayVus posted:

The only thing increased memory bandwidth provides is increased database performance. Dual channel performance is perfectly fine for all other applications.
And typical HPC uses too.,such as Computational Fluid Dynamics. That's a use where people are drawn to more cores, but it tends to test memory performance, especially bandwidth. Hopefully some of the benchmarks will throw Openfoam in to the mix. I suspect an Intel 6c will make more sense for a niche CFD at home.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

servethehome have posted their 1700 benchmarks. They've also managed some non-trivial bumps in their updated 1700x numbers by using a newer Linux kernel.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Maxwell Adams posted:

Does Linux have these thread scheduling problems? I want to see some Linux gaming benchmarks. I want someone to establish the high-end processor of choice for Linux gaming.
The Phoronix articles includes those. They don't achieve great scores against the 7700k. Alas he didn't include the 6900k as a comparison like he was able to for the other benchmarks.

The Linux kernel is reported to already have all the major fundamentals patched.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 6, 2017

• Locked thread