Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Another lil' leak that gives some pretty big hints about how AMD expects BD to perform given its price positioning.

i3's don't cost $650+. What the gently caress is AMD smoking?

Edit: Apparently, that's the price for the entire system, which is a bullshit marketing technique, and still inflated, since Newegg is giving me about $470 for a basic system.

Double Edit: Ok, looking closer, it says a system with an i3 would start at 550, not 650. It shouldn't take me 3 tries to understand your horrible chart, AMD.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

Bought a pair of decent core i3 Dell desktops in October for $370 each, work perfectly well as replacements for the 6 year old Pentium 4s they replaced and I doubt an AMD system of the same performance would cost significantly less.

MORE CORES!*

*less floating point units

I should note that the i3 system I mentioned was Sandy Bridge and that Dell doesn't carry any Sandy Bridge i3 systems (that I know of). I still think their prices are random and stupid, however.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nonpython posted:

Is this a reference to something? If so, do tell.

http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

Man, that poo poo's old.

Edit: AOL :haw:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 2, 2011

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alereon posted:

On the plus side, we know that Intel's next-generation Ivy Bridge CPUs have been pushed back from Q1 2012 to Q2, meaning AMD is going to have a generous period of graphics dominance with Llano and Brazos.

This isn't a plus side at all. I want Bulldozer to come out tomorrow, and Ivy Bridge to come out next week, damnit. Whose side are you on?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its a top end enthusiast part, pretty niche so AMD fans would buy it even if it doesn't overclock well. If the motherboards work out to be cheap enough there could be some platform value I guess.

I have a friend who I'm reasonably sure will buy this. He thinks that all Intel chips suck, and refuses to even read anything that states otherwise. Also, he is adamant that more cores = better. If AMD made a processor with 1000 cores that each had the power of an 8080, he'd buy it in a second.

Edit: Then he'd blame Windows 7 for running slow on it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Coredump posted:

Yeah I hate it when people want to post witty zingers instead of adding anything worthwhile to the conversation.

I really don't think its about being a fanboy in the case. In order for AMD to "outright win a generation" they have to get the revenue in order to pump into R&D in order to do that. I just don't see AMD ever being able to get the money they need to get the lead back from Intel if everyone holds this view. In a situation like this where AMD is the largest thing keeping Intel's prices in check. I feel like its part of being a responsible consumer to support AMD to keep the x86 market place from becoming more of monopoly ruled by one company.

This can never happen. AMD controls the patent for the 64 bit instruction set, and Intel owns x86. If one went down, they could pull the other with them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Yeah hence my Raid 5 and Raid 0+1 arrays, I think I will be fine on disk I/O 6 is good but I am running them about 80% right now

You forgot to add :smugdog: to the end of your post.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've always wondered why everyone always seems to root for AMD. Is it nostalgia for :allears: The Good Ol' Days, or does everyone just love the underdog?

I know a lot of it is wanting the competition in the market, but I never saw much rooting for Intel back when AMD was on top.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

According to Steam, AMD has a hair over 25% of the 'gamer' CPU market:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

It also shows Firefox as being installed on 60% of computers, compared to Chrome's 11%. Interesting because I just read an article that claims Chrome is closing in on FireFox's marketshare

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-chrome-market-share-2011-9

I use Chrome, but have FF installed for things that don't support Chrome (or IE tab). Steam would pick up on the FF installation, while a web based test wouldn't.

I imagine the people who use FF for everyday browsing probably don't have chrome installed.

Edit: Also, everyone and their grandma loves Google, but FF is pretty much :goonsay:, which probably coincides with the TF2 population.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alereon posted:

Not anymore they don't, the low-end discrete videocard market basically died a few months back. Shipment volumes fell off a cliff, only high-end and mid-range cards actually find their way into systems today. It's also important to remember that the Llano platform is substantially cheaper than the i3 platform. The most expensive Llano is only $10 more than the CHEAPEST i3, and the next model under that is $10 below said i3. When you factor in the graphics performance and the fact that Intel couldn't write a working graphics driver to save their company, Llano really is the perfect platform for OEM systems.

Still, the margin on these units is far lower than it is on the "enthusiast" processors. AMD can claim to have the edge on the "bread and butter" market all they like, but with Intel having a stranglehold on the price/performance market, AMD is in for a tough year to say the least.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Because if no one buys those Bulldozer CPUs just imagine how much Intel is going to start charging for theirs! You can thank me when you pick up a cheap new Ivy Bridge processor next spring. :smug:

I'd prefer if you bought a Sandy Bridge and paypal'd me the money you save every month on your electricity bills.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Uh, you could say the K does stand for black, as in CMYK. Key, but in reality, black.

Oh never mind, this is a winding path of pointlessness. Of course they stole it from Intel.

Why not just U for Unlocked?

Honestly, I'm glad they "stole" it like that. It makes it easier for laymen to decipher what the hell all the model numbers mean if the unlocked versions are the same across vendors.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is pretty awesome, since I'm finally replacing my aging rig when Ivy Bridge hits. Hopefully nVidia puts out some awesome cards as well, so I can have my pick of the litter when I'm ready to buy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh God, I just ordered an MSI one. I couldn't resist. Someone tell me I didn't just make a huge mistake and blow 500 bucks.

To be fair, it will be replacing a pair of GTX260's that should have been put out to pasture a LOOOONG time ago.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed posted:

There are very few situations for which the 680 isn't total overkill. Also, if the expense isn't cutting into your needs budget, and you like the pretty stuff in games, you didn't make a mistake, it's clearly a badass card. Enjoy PhysX and high framerates and stuff, I'll be joining the club sooner or later I'm sure.

I totally will. I don't treat myself enough. :)

Just need to wait until IB drops, and I can replace my ancient E6300 CPU.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

No, I disagree. The Xbox 360 hit the market in 2005 and we're still stuck with Xbox 360 quality models and graphics. Sure you can push things higher by adding effects, running at higher resolutions and so on, but the point remains that for many: the 4xxx series is not obsolete.

That's why businesses do this. It's called planned obsolescence. Totally not unique to AMD/ATI.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How far back do you have to go for that to compete with the flagship card of the day?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If you're just going by GFLOPS, roughly the 9800 GTX from 4 years ago.

The last video card I bought was an 8800GTX. You're making me feel bad about my system. :(

Edit: I dropped 600 bones on that card.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 28, 2012

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't get why they're so mad about it, though. Obviously, they knew they weren't going to get a good price/performance card for this generation. They paid the flagship tax and the "gotta have it now" surcharge, and they should have seen it coming.

Granted, they didn't know the 670 would be so close, but that doesn't diminish the performance of the cards they have.

If the $$$ to FPS ratio was acceptable to them when they bought it, it should still be now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Do we know that the MSRP is going to be $400 yet? With that showing, I wouldn't be surprised if it hit at $450.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Looking at those reviews, you'd have to be an idiot to get the reference design over that ASUS for 20 bucks more.

• Locked thread