Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I seriously can't believe it took AMD this long for it to come out with an all new design :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Welp, I wanted to stick a Trinity in my soon to be built HTPC/light gaming PC, but man those results...

...guess I'll have to go with an intel based system :( Sorry AMD, I really wanted to like you.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I ask this not as a troll, but as a genuinely curious person:

How is it that AMD fell this far behind in the CPU arms race? I mean 10 years ago they were neck-and-neck with Intel.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Killer robot posted:

Add onto that how performance CPU design and manufacture not only are fantastically expensive, but become more so with each successive generation. Also, even when Intel was behind in performance it still leveraged its name to keep a lot of the most lucrative contracts so even when AMD was on top making lots of money was hard for them. Finally, AMD made some big bets on risky gambles that didn't pan out.

Care to name some of those risky bets that didn't pan out? This kind of stuff fascinates me :)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

orange juche posted:

AMD APUs in laptops definitely aren't all that terrible as long as you keep in mind what their strengths are. I just recommended my sister buy a 15 inch HP Envy with a Richland A10 in it. It is faster than her old laptop (a 2010 C2D ULV chip) and she can run games on it at an acceptable quality (TF2, other source games)

She was getting it mainly for college work and maybe some very light mobile gaming when she is bored of listening to the professor, and the only intel driven HP Envy I could find was $200 more for performance she wouldn't notice in office applications and an absolutely pitiful last gen intel HD 4400 that would have serious issues running any 3d games above 1280p low quality.

How would battery life be when compared to a haswell, though?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Palladium posted:

Once Intel started selling the C2D E6300 for $183 in mid-2006 there is no reason to buy an AMD CPU for a gaming system ever. It was so good that it made the cheapest $120 A64 X2 look like a ripoff in comparison. Oh, so you wanna save $63 to buy 2GHz X2 when the E6300 can easily be OCed hit 3GHz which makes it the equivalent of a 4GHz X2? Be my guest.

What, 8 years since then isn't enough to make the AMD rose tinted glasses drop already?

Ugh, I remember this like it was yesterday. Up until those c2d's hit, AMD was the current hotness.

I was in 10th grade, and finally convinced my parents to give me money to build a new family PC (aka a new gaming PC for myself :v: ). Not having a job and being in 10th grade and all, it took some prodding from me to convince them to hand 800 bucks to their son. They eventually did though, and I built what I thought was a pretty sweet system. Thing is, I didn't know there was the c2d on the horizon and at the time reading all of the conflicting information out there about different builds and such was pretty overwhelming. I wound up getting an AMD dual core 4000+ processor (the exact name escapes me atm) and building it in I think June 2006.

You can imagine my disappointment when I found out that not only was a better processor being released in a few weeks time, but that performance absolutely blew away anything else available including the system I had just built with my parents money :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

sauer kraut posted:

Jesus Christ http://wccftech.com/fake-amd-processors-spotted-making-rounds-a87600-counterfeits/

Tragically, I had to pause for a second to consider if that guy hadn't received a free upgrade.

I wonder if they bought the processor from Amazon proper, or one of the 3rd party sellers.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LethalGeek posted:

I finally upgraded a barely was good enough at the time AMD E-350 media PC to a Athlon 5350 and I'm very happy with it. Went with it over the Intel equal since 99% of the machine's job is video and maybe games. Nice to finally have 1080P on the TV, old sucker barely handled 720P

My HP DM1Z netbook had an E-350 inside of it. At the time it launched (I think I got it sometime February 2011) it was adequate enough, and the battery life at the time was almost mind blowing for something that wasn't a mac (almost 6 hours of browsing!) but man, did that thing just start chugging along when websites started getting "heavier" so to speak. I finally gave up on it last spring. I loved that loving machine. If they could make the same exact one with an i3 inside of it, I would jump on it in an instant.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just get your mom one of those cheap $60 pentium dual core chips, and an SSD. Add videocard if needed. Seriously, those Pentiums absolutely loving fly, believe it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I remember the computer I built in the summer of 2006. It had an Athlon 64 4000+ in it. I was just a naive teenager at the time playing with his parents money, and didn't even think to research to see if a better processor was coming out within the next month or so.

Well, wouldn't you know it, but the C2D hit almost exactly a month later. That was a tough lesson to swallow :smith:

• Locked thread