Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008
Not exactly about Bulldozer itself, but still relevant. It seems that for the 990 chipsets AMD came to an agreement with Nvidia to get SLI support.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-to-unlock-sli-for-amd-990-series-chipsets/11778.html

Up to Tri-SLI on the 990FX and just vanilla SLI on the 990X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

Gunjin posted:

If I'm building an AMD budget gaming system, I'm not buying a 6950 or $130 worth of RAM.

Especially considering you can get 2 sticks of G.Skill for ~$80 or, if Corsair is so bloody important, 4 sticks for $90.

I quit following prices for a while but it's good to see that DDR3 has finally come down quit a bit.

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

incoherent posted:

I'm hoping I can walk out with a 8 core beast for the same price as SB 2500K AND use both my nvidia cards on bulldozer.

Well, 2 pages back I posted:

Not A Gay Name posted:

Not exactly about Bulldozer itself, but still relevant. It seems that for the 990 chipsets AMD came to an agreement with Nvidia to get SLI support.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-to-unlock-sli-for-amd-990-series-chipsets/11778.html

Up to Tri-SLI on the 990FX and just vanilla SLI on the 990X.

So I'm thinking you'll be able to get an 8 core beast with your SLI.

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

Alereon posted:

Keep in mind that we're talking about an incredibly simple device here, nothing like a CPU or a GPU. At 40nm the Zacate APU is 75mm^2, even with added hardware Wichita may be smaller. Small parts make excellent products for a new process shrink, as they're less affected by a high defect-rate due to process teething problems. As far as whether AMD wants to jump on 28nm early, you're drat right they do. They've been stuck on the 40nm process longer than anyone expected and are at the limits of its capabilities with the 6970. While they certainly don't want to have to deal with potentially low yields and unpredictable issues, they require the competitive advantage in the graphics space that an early and successful transition to 28nm brings. The low-power x86 market is another area where AMD is highly competitive but supply-constrained, so it makes sense to transition to 28nm quickly where they can increase their performance and potentially make gains on manufacturing cost and volume.

Well for CPU's AMD is still at 45nm not 40nm. As far as I know there are no 40nm CPUs only GPUs in which case, Nvidia is still at the 40nm process as well.

In those regards they are certainly behind Intel with the 32nm process which is what I thought (at least the high end) Bulldozer was going to rather than 28nm.

Though I don't see any reason they can't skip 32 and go to 28 if it's ready.

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008
Hardocp posted their review. Gave it the gold award since they can play games like Dirt 3 and Dragon Age II at native resolution with medium to high settings (and AA, 8xAA in Dirt 3s case).

Sounds like AMD did well.

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

Ryokurin posted:

About the only thing I can say that leads to it not being true is how the main reason they killed the original Xbox so quickly was because Nvidia wanted more money for their chips and there was rumors that Intel didn't want to make that processor any longer. What's stopping AMD from making a similar call a few years into Xbox Next production? The 360 wasn't really about following everyone else, it was making sure they owned as much of the process as possible.

And then again, they need to make sure whatever they make isn't more than the current system. The days of charging $600 for a console are over and bulldozer is probably one of the easiest ways to do one for $400

It was a poor contract with Nvidia as I understood it. It was a off the shelf Geforce 3 (or 4, can't remember for sure) and as retail prices dropped Nvidia had MS locked into paying the original high price. Left a sour taste in the mouth so they went with ATI.

I wouldn't put doing the same thing past AMD/ATI, but I think MS has learned their lesson in that regard.

AMD would probably be ecstatic to have that many APUs getting into peoples homes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not A Gay Name
Nov 8, 2008

Civil posted:

You'd still be a frothing fanboy to purchase AMD right now, though, all other things being equal.

I wouldn't go that far, you'd be a frothing fanboy to purchase Bulldozer though. The 955/960 still have merit as being affordable adequate chips.

• Locked thread