Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Nonpython posted:

Are there any AMD goons?

I run AMD's in my desktops. Got a Phenom II 965 right now and I love it. Plenty room to OC and it's definitely primo bang for buck. Last Intel desktop processor I bought for myself was a... Celeron 300A I think? I don't really care about being cutting edge. It's all about best performance per dollar.

On the other, with notebooks I've always gotten Intel. See this thread for my opinions on the new Zacate setups. They were all hyped to be the holy grail and have turned out to not quite that. I think once the post CES excitement fades, people will begin to accept that its just an OK platform.

Anyway, yeah... I'm excited for Bulldozer. I'm thinking I might go x8 this time next year, but get a AM3+ board and DDR3 mem in the Autumn maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

wipeout posted:

I use AM3, and need a replacement motherboard.

If AM3 supported Bulldozer, I would buy another.. if AM3+ was available, I would buy that and upgrade my current proc to Bulldozer if / when the price is right.

It is a shame that for whatever reason, AM3+ boards arent available before Bulldozer launches - at least then I wouldnt be considering jumping ship before the chip even launches.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/39746-ces-2011-msi-demos-new-am3-big-bang-conqueror-lightning-gpus.html

No word on release date other than:

fucken canadiens posted:

Since AM3+ boards are backwards compatible with AM3 CPUs, MSI is looking to launch the Conqueror far in advance of Bulldozer’s official availability.

I need a new mobo/mem myself as I'm on an older nforce using ddr2-800. :( Gonna wait for AM3+

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 21, 2011

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Still waiting... but gently caress 890, bring on 990fx.

• Locked thread